Why did Korean abandon kanji?

Why did Korean abandon kanji?

Other urls found in this thread:

tangorin.com/general/こうしょう
nytimes.com/2002/03/11/world/japan-rediscovers-its-korean-past.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Koreans are dumb and needed a simpler system to become literate.

Because they don't want to be associated with cjhina

Had nothing to do with that. They began abandoning the kanji in the 1600’s when they were LARPing as “the real China”.

English is very simple.
But you are not dumb,right?

Because kanji is old Chinese writing. It's not actually good.

>Why did Korean abandon kanji?
lmgfty hangul

Because we don't need kanji to distinguish words

few exceptions are ok-tier tho

/thread

Because Chinese is one of the most analytic languages on the planet while Korean is highly agglutinative. Their vastly different morphologies lend themselves to different writing systems, hence why the Koreans settled on a fusion between syllable characters and logograms.

Why didn't Japan abandon kanji?

Even if they didn't do it before, why not now?

Imagine how many hours of extra free time kids could have if they didn't have to know kanji to achieve literacy. They might be able to use that extra time and leave high school with a better grasp of English, Math, Science, and maybe even just having had a little bit more fun and less stress.

Worried that Japanese kids will lose their Japanese identity by not studying kanji? Use some of that time to teach more Japanese and world history!

They want their own identity

because japanese becomes totally dysfunctional without chinese letters.

They make reading Japanese a hell of a lot easier. They are also pleasing in many ways and can be used for clever and poetic wordplay.

Add a couple spaces, maybe a new punctuation mark and you're done. Worked in all the old video games that only used kana and alphabet.

Homonyms are understood in context. Context can give the clarity that kanji does.

Lol. Learn french, bro

If English is so simple why can't japs speak it?

Too busy. Spend their time learning, literally, thousands of Chinese characters.

Why do people think that japs and chinks spend all their school days learning characters? They probably do that just as much as we practice our vocabulary and spelling in school (not too much).

>Why do people think that japs and chinks spend all their school days learning characters?
Because the school is trying to produce literate children?

because chinese character hard to learn so somebody simplified them like japanese did

Because it is an Absolutely Retarded caveman writing system.
Literally the only reason to keep it is "muh herritage" and nothing else.

Korean didn't used hangul before ww2 they. It got popular during modernization.

But, Korean letters are just an alphabet aren't they? Do the shapes come from Chinese moonrunes?

they don't

because Kanji is retarded

t.weeb

They finally realised having an alphabet system is superior to random caveman drawings.

>because Kanji is retarded
This.

Kanji is awesome, it's hard at first but I am at a point in Japanese where I look at a new word, memorize what two kanjis it consists of, most of them are kanjis I already know and like that I learned a new word.
Aquiring vocab doesn't get easier than this.

We are not sub human :)

Hello tanaka-san

because we are east asian

but you are korean(゜o゜;

Because Korean script is the alphabet of the future, ancient aliens warn about these centuries ago

It actually has a lot to do with literacy. When kanji was widely used in Korea, only few privileged and educated class can read news papers, academic books and etc so ordinary people were denied access to high quality information and education at that time. And as its economy started growing at an unprecedented rate, reducing illiteracy proved favorable to them so the privileged can make better use of ordinary people. So they decided to throw kanji out, removing it from every text books, test sheets, newspapers and etc.

Cos they were so busy learning that complicated language that they didn't have enough spare time to learn it when they were young.

They want to be American and not like other East Asians.

Why is it that I can play old text adventures that only use kana, then?
Also, how many of the words in the 単語 column are even used in Japanese?
tangorin.com/general/こうしょう
Out of the words marked as "common", the only meaning I keep coming across is 交渉

Because they are autists who don't care about root meaning of words.

Japanese are royal blood so we use kanji.

In Korea, Hangul was a peasant writing system because they couldn't read Hanja, which was reserved for high class. Most of Koreans are peasants

>Japanese are royal blood

Yet the Japanese imperial family are descendants of Koreans. In other words, your "royal blood" is actually Korean blood.

They could've been brothers :(

Are Gooks really propagating this myth?

Emperor Akihito himself admitted that the imperial bloodline is Korean and that he is of Korean descent.

nytimes.com/2002/03/11/world/japan-rediscovers-its-korean-past.html
"I, on my part, feel a certain kinship with Korea, given the fact that it is recorded in the Chronicles of Japan that the mother of Emperor Kammu was of the line of King Muryong of Paekche," he told reporters.

He admitted that an ancient empeor had a Korean bride.

That's was generations ago, which would make him 0.001% Korean

The Japanese cannot bear that their nation owes its very existence to Koreans, so if all their historical and archeological records point to Korea, at least they can break them down, saying "they only transmitted Chinese writing," "iron age civilization initially came from outside of Korea," "the horses were from Manchuria," etc. If the same standard of cultural attribution were applied to every other conquering people, then Quebec, New England, or Latin American colonial societies would not be stated as French, English, Spanish or Portuguese cultural colonies, but rather as Roman, Greek, Egyptian or Mesopotamian transplants - comments that would be obviously false or insane.

The Japanese anti-historians and their Japanophile lackeys thus twist the Korean Conquest of Ancient Japan and the massive settlement by Koreans into a fiction of the Koreans being mere offloaders of "Chinese culture," frequently describing them as "transmitters." But I ask this: if a civilization such as Korea launched military invasions and conquests of Japan, created local kings, princes, emperors, built palaces, shrines, temples, vast engineering works such as the kofun tombs, kept records, wrote poetry, etc., is this the sign of mere "transmitters" of someone else's culture, or were they Koreans acting as Koreans (later Korean-Japanese) in their own way? Of course they were in the same role as the French, English, Spanish and Portuguese in the Western Hemisphere. The only difference is that due to Japanese imperialism in the 20th Century, western knowledge of Korea's role in Asian history and especially in Ancient Japan has been twisted or unknown.

Wow he's tainted.

If Korean settled Japan, why ain't I speaking Korean you dumb fuck

Childhood is complaining about Kanji
Adulthood is realizing it's easier to read with them.

Japanese has a lot of traits found in Goguryou language which is an ancestor of Korean.

>Why do people think that japs and chinks spend all their school days learning characters?
Because it fits into their caricaturized narrative of East Asians

Should we abandon kanji??

Foreigners always says only kanji is too difficult to learn.

we abandon kanji , foreigners can learn Japanese words easily.

Yes. Adopt more English vocabulary to replace the Chinese influence.

Because hangul is a much better writing system

Why do you need moonrunes to understand the meaning/etymology of words?

Wtf are you saying the Japanese should abandon tea and chopsticks too?

Yes

かんじ を つかわない と にほんごは よみにくいよ。かんじ が ある と ひゃくばい
よみやすい と おもう。かんじ が なくなったら ことば の いみ も わからなくなるし…

That's only because you have billions of Chinese loanwords but no tones to differentiate it. This is why I suggest you get rid of all your Chinese loanwords and replace it with English.

because they are only lazy asian niggers

Just because your idea is logical doesn't mean it's feasible.

I really want to learn Chinese or Japanese, but I can't be bothered having to learn two languages: one spoken and one written.
But that's no reason to abandon it.

Those older video games also had limited vocabulary.

I make sense though, don't I?
>replace all chinese borrowings with english or make up native words instead
>get rid of all kanji and kana
>develop and use a japanese alphabet instead

Japanese kids spend multitudes more time reading for pleasure than studying 国語、my pig-ignorant burger friend.

I wish japs use more niche, very uncommon kanji to prove how illiterate they are.

That would take hundreds if not thousands of years.

You are a fucking moron.

no

Again, I think you are logical but that's just not feasible or worth it.

Learning Japanese without kanji will greatly limit your vocabulary, ジェット君。

Kanji-loving Australian comes in to fight for the honor of old Chinese writing system.

He is a retard. Everyone knows alphabest are the best writing system.

but for Kanjis, we would put away how to express things such as a sense of names

because alphaabets are supperior to pictograams

Keep in mind, even if you "officially" abandoned kanji (aka, made kanji-free script the norm on all public documents including education), in this theoretical world it would be unlikely to truly go away from all things.

Things like name stamps may always use kanji. People might still name their children with it (that would be the only kanji on the birth certificate obviously.) Cities might be officially known with kana but still may maintain signage and use their kanji in advertising and ceremony.

And there'd be nothing to stop it from being used stylistically in video games.

>HURRR DURRR Japs will be able to tell apart homonyms by context.

For you anime weebs with limited vocab knowledge that would actually work. But probably not for academic Chinese loan words with two or three syllables max, and we have a fuck load of them.

Right, that's why none of those words can be spoken.

fucking ridiculous. how can you explain why Koreans now can't write their own names in Kanjis?

>Right, that's why none of those words can be spoken.
and many Japs often ask how to write it in kanji when they hear it.
>HURRR SPEAKING IS THE SAME AS BEING UNDERSTOOD

>academic Chinese loan words with two or three syllables max
Just use English instead.

They could if it was important to them.

we will because it's important to us. fuck off

because japs are subhumans. Simple

No, we'll use Latin, Greek and German just to piss you Anglos off.

We've got a serious case of hurt feelings in this thread.

Shall we call your mommies to kiss your booboos to make it better?

same reason american kids cant write in cursive, same reason peruvians dont speak incan

its not important or useful

Why would you be bothered simplifying the language of MUH ANCIENT CHINK INFLUENCED HERITAGE unless you want to read weeb shit like light novels

I find script reform interesting, and there's numerous English script reforms I'd be interested in as well.

> simplifying the language
We're talking about simplifying the script, not the language.

Take control of your feelings, you're being stupid.

Replies on this post is like some American who writes like DAYUM SPELLUN IZ HARD WHYZ KAND WEZ WRITE LIKES DIS AZ LONGZ WE UNDERSTUD

and who am I to judge the character or the intelligence of such individual when he writes legibly enough.

I'm German so I don't mind :)

>We're talking about simplifying the script, not the language.
Probably you can give us an applied example of a working simplied script in Japanese

>See a post refuting all kana simplification of written Japan is practical
>Accuse them of butthurt

>egypt not red anymore
SAD!

Are you from Adelaide?

indeed, pictograms used to be more popular thousands of years ago

Because they can't put 2 consonants together without shitting themselves.

1 drop rule.
Your royalty is korean.

ITT: davido-kuns' refusal of their katakana name and wants their chink influenced kanji name.

well then all people, especially Argentina must be Africans in such a way that appearance represents roots