/lang/

Language thread!

embannadur kaoc'hus

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua""" for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.
/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z7mZ6kAEoQU
youtube.com/watch?v=xDRFNMr7kHQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why the fuck do these threads die so fast

In college I took C and Java which covered my foreign languages.

Glad I didn't have to speak a word of a foreigner

Because everybody's studying so hard they forget to post.

work and I try to mix some studying in. I hope after the new year people make resolutions and it causes more traffic. these threads are so comfy.

They lasted longer over the summer, my guess is work and school are taking up most people's time. Maybe over the winter we'll get some people back.

Today marks the beginning of Chapter 3 which is the first of verbs (Russian). Tentatively excited

Best of luck to you

Thanks, user. What's so bad about them? All I can see is generically that the infinitive is kind of worthless

Honestly not too sure but I've seen other guys complaining about it all the time.

Give a month, they'll pick up when people start thinking about their new years resolutions.

Really starting to be sick and tired of memerise's bullshit

I'm already going most of my memorizing on Anki, I think I might just ditch memerise entirely if this continues.

What's up with it?
t. never used memrise before

Well, say within the same deck you have the following two cards:

>ForeignwordA
>"Definition"

>ForeignwordB
>"Definition" (in other words, the English side is the same as ForeignwordA)

When you're learning them, memerise will automatically find the most similar answers elsewhere in the deck to make it more "difficult". Therefore, this can actually happen:

>Translate ForeignwordA:
>A) "Definition"
>B) "Definition"
>C) something else
>D) another something else

And if you get the wrong "Definition", memrise says you got it wrong, and since you have 0 control over memrise, you can't undo it.

Rust

None right now
People tell me to fuck off when I speak Esperanto here.

tbĥ understanding programming concepts is more useful than knowing Spanish.

I'm learning Mandarin

So there was something in one of my text books I took out of context. 好好玩玩 (hao hao wanr wanr) Which I thought means have some fun. I kept asking my buddy if he wanted to go 好好玩玩
Turns out it means molesting each other

>have some fun
>molesting each other
what's the difference?

>People tell me to fuck off when I speak Esperanto here.
you should post in Ido or Volapük instead, everybody loves them.

tikamagot gudik, flen oba.

nth for HILO LATINO
Is there any point in listening to foreign radio if i can only understand some loose sentences here and there? Or should I stick to sanitised audio like Assimil and stuff like that

Seems to me that language isn't really "picked up" through osmosis like normies imply. I find radio in the beginning stages to not be that helpful. It's not until you can get say 60%+ of it that it starts to help.

I've started to keep a log of how much I study, actual focused studying and not just looking through papers, and it's no that much. Not as much as thought it was anyway.

If nothing else it can help you get accustomed to how the language sounds outside of a classroom.

How long were you studying?
You need to at least have a basis to be able to get new words by context.

>>What language are you learning?
Japanese
I want to kill myself.

5 months, probably 200 hours of studying. I keep track roughly for autism reasons. I'm pretty dumb too, so, factor that in.

play your favorite games in spanish and fuck it, as long as you keep trying you will learn, its not necessary to be a genius to speak spanish.

What language are you learning?Depending of the language that is quite normal.

how are you supposed to play the game if you can't read the text in it?

You kind of already know what to expect tho
If you are really stuck just look up the translation in your phone

How much vocab have you crammed?

Damaged wrist. Vidya is out for me. :o(

I try to read hispachan, the news.. all very broken.

This is your first time, right?
You still have to learn how to learn languages.It willl come with time.

With spanish what you hear is what's written, so it doesn't matter too much, have you tried to understand talk shows?
>youtube.com/watch?v=Z7mZ6kAEoQU

>phrase structure grammar
Fuck that noise.

This is a great time to read Spanish news, with the stuff going on in Catalonia. Check out La Vanguardia.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will do those and see how it goes.

>Esperanto
Maybe if you spoke a straight language you wouldn't have as many issues

Yeah, even if you can only occasionally understand it, listening to radio helps you distinguish separate words instead of hearing only a stream of sounds.

I'm learning Russian and I already can read cyrillic without much of a problem (fuck the ы and o though, also I don't know what am I supposed to do with ь at the end of a word), and know some vocabulary. The thing is I don't know how to approach the grammar, like I have an idea of which verbs I want to learn first and work with those, but for the cases, after nominativ which one should I learn. Another thing that bothers me are the prepositions, adverbs, adjectives, etc. Do I learn them apart or as I study the cases I start memorizing them?

>straight language

so this cunt caught me trying to define languages according to their history + linguistics, rather than through modern social convention + politics

what do lads

get a new social circle alt kys

How are Duolingo's new Japanese and Korean?

They quickly get ridiculously hard.
I will be playing: Я бyдy игpaть
I will play (from start to finish): Я cыгpaю
I will play for a while: Я пoигpaю
I will finish playing: Я дoигpaю

...peaking with verbs of motion: пoдвигaть, пoдвинyть, cдвинyть, зaдвинyть, oтoдвинyть, пepeдвинyть, двинyть, пoдвигaть...

is 40 hours of video course worth $60? i watched the preview and it looks pretty gud but wanted to ask you guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=xDRFNMr7kHQ

If you have to pay for it no
Same feeling but instead of Japanese I'm studying Chinese

This is the only thread where "summer is over" is a bad thing

Both the Telegram group and the Discord group are responsible for this.

you have tons of free material already, but paying physchologically force you to be more serious and consistent so i'll say go for it, 60e is nothing

60 euros is like a month salary in Turkey

bümb

duolingo is a bad meme all in itself

ь softens the consonant that precedes it

I always forget how fucked the lira is. But yeah as another user pointed out it might be worth it just to motivate you since you payed a fuckton for it.

>Motivation

This. That shit is cancer.

Which would be better to learn for an amateur historian just getting into Euro history, French or German? Have only read a couple of medieval overviews and aren't drawn to any particular region or era yet.

been learning spanish and chinese, both of which are pretty dang fun.

my roomies speak spanish so it's been fun to practice at home and watch them slowly realize that they can't just switch to spanish to talk around me

I actually work with a chinese woman and she's super nice and helps me out plenty. I always love the look in her eye when she sees someone actually trying to talk to her in her language

I'd say French, as they were more relevant throughout all of history until late 19th century
But, it is a romance lang so you might find it harder

>tfw no frenchfrère to practice my frogspeak
Triste!

I was leaning towards French for that reason already, might as well go for it.

Neden rusça?

russian is valuable and people there dont know english much. its also easier than arabic and chinese

Hi guys, do you think it's possible to reach B1 level French in a year? At the moment I'm studying 2 hours a day and hoping to reach that level by next September.

Fair point, do you plan on going there?

do you have anyone to talk to? at the very least consume lots of media. you need application of all that studying m8.

je lis les doujins en autre langues tout le temps~

maybe. i think russian courses in georgia are cheaper.

Nice, kolay gelsin

No, unfortunately. I've been playing some games in French and watching French tv but it's not ideal.

eyw

>parse tree
just had a linguistics exam and we had to learn to do parse trees and useless shit like that. Fuck linguistics

Do you guys have any good methods for learning vocab other than anki/flashcards in general? I know they work but theyre such a drag and I dread having to do them everyday

I enjoy using Babadum, it's like flashcards but instead of words you have drawings.

What's a country that's actually worth going to and actually worth learning the language? I don't want to make the same mistake again

thanks gay

I once met a girl who wanted to work in cordon bleu in France. Her father said he would pay for all if she learned enough to pass the proficiency test (b2). She studied 4-5 hours everyday and did it, I guess it comes down to how you study and how big is your motivation

Are you in a tourist area?

Worth in what way?
What mistake did you make?

I learned German before I realized it'd be supplanted by Arabic anyway. I want a country where the people aren't degenerate - so, probably nowhere?

nope :/

>where the people aren't degenerate
Try Hungary?

awoo ~~

>I learned German before I realized it'd be supplanted by Arabic anyway.
Fuck off. Germany is only like 7% Arabic+Turkish. if we're being pessimistic Arabic and Turkish will be the main languages when you're a 100 years old vegetable

*won't be the main languages until you're a100 years old vegetable
I just realised how autistic that wording is

Learn the language of a country where knowing English is not common.
French (a lot of arabs and nigger tho), Russian,Chinese,Japanese,Hungarian,Polish,
Spanish (If you don't mind Sudacas)

>Tfw not even enough motivation to come up with an actual post instead of a bump

I just want to know my native tongue in more than a broken I-can-understand-but-barely-speak way

What is your native tongue, Carlos?

Any recs for French grammar books?

sometimes i just hit my head on the keyboard

Catalan obviously

CEFR is the proficiency test that people use for european languages?

Trying to find a good source to learn Lithuanian. Anyone got any recommendations?

What are some good Lithuanian shows, that are available on Youtube?

Also, I don't mean "Learn Lithuanian" with random roastie, I mean a real television show. It can be an old one from the 1990s or 1980s. I know copyrights can be an issue

yay I am 48% done with A1 Norwegian

>from the 1990s or 1980s
>"All hail Stalin, the glorious destroyer of the western imperialists! This joke is funny and you're gonna laugh or go to Siberia!"

Try asking in /balt/