Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #I give up

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/BAEgzZHG
penji-mikata.com/kanji.html
oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/7731202.html,
youtube.com/watch?v=GXThuaDGBiA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

let's study Japanenglish!

アノン共よ、日本語で書き込んでいいんだぞ。

先、何週も前から勉強していた物理学試験をとった!やっと日本語の勉強を改めて注げる!
でも時間は少なくなってる。JLPTの日付は近づいている。頑張らなきゃ!

がんばれがんばれ
お前ならきっと出来るって
まだまだいける、もっともっと来い

英語圏の人間が日本語習得するのって大変じゃないか?日本人が英語習得するのも同様に大変だが。

> #I give up

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRR

>先 shall be さっき
>試験をとった! is passable but 試験に通った or 試験が終わった sounds natural.
>勉強を改めて注げる shall be 勉強に改めて時間を注げる or 勉強に改めて取り組める
Latter sentence is ok.
When I had American friend, he corrected any errors I made while I was speaking in English and I felt even gratified by his doing that.
So I infer my post won’t harm Your feeling. Hope your doing good in your test.

ネバーギブアップ

Jumping Long Punch Thunder

じゃ、スタンダードジャパニーズ?もうエングリシュのコピーじゃないか?

Hey DJT, didn't learn Japanese for about a month cause I had too much stress at work due to an important project.
Now I want to get back into the game but I've trouble keeping up with reps and reading is more difficult than it was before.

It feels like I forgot so much.

Any advice on how to reduce my workload in form of reps so I can concentrate on reading?

No new cards, increase your repetitions by a LOT, try and review everything in a week, then continue where you left off. It's no use trying to catch up with lost time, it's lost, just leave it.

A bunch of television streams.
pastebin.com/BAEgzZHG
You just open them as network streams in VLC.

初対面なのにいきなりお説教してきた人じゃん

This is not a sentence my mortal mind can comprehend. Is hito being described here?

Memo to the Finn.
The song I referred in previous thread was the first song when you called the song which was supposed to consisted of names of otaku shops in Akihabara second one.
(I infer that Finn poster was you because of his proficiency at anime and Japanese)
And your best list was more than intriguing because of your rating Hadashi no Gen as one of your bests.

“You are the person(人 in this sentence) who lectured me severely even though it was the first time we met.”

In this context, hito means (the) person.

That makes sense, thank you for the explanation.

Thanks! I was looking for new sources as the website I was using is broken.

Super helpful, thanks.

But I dropped “いきなり(suddenly)”.
So put “ all of sudden” after “severely”.

Is anybody here an avid nip TV watcher? Any recommendations? I'm not really into drama shows, so I'm more interested in some fun variety shows. Preferably none of those shows revolving around idols.

The videogame one is pretty chill, I could keep up with it even before I got serious about Japanese.

Oh holy shit this is amazing.
Works with mpv too.

There was a sign at work today that I tried to translate for a Japanese colleague. Not sure how good it was cause he gave me a funny look after.

English:
"A guide to eating fish at the workplace"
Good: (Picture of swedish fish candy)
Bad: "All other fish"

日本語:
"仕事で魚を食べる案内です。"

はい: "スウェーデンの魚"
いいえ: "すべて他の魚"

Is this a good translation? Is there a need for a subject particle (は) in the first sentence?

(For those curious by the way: It's a joke about a time where some guy microwaved 2 lbs of salmon and stank up the whole place. It was very bad that day.).

Honma Dekka TV

ホンマでっか!?TV

How about using the 〜かた construct?

魚を食べかたの案内

If you like food then 孤独のゴルメ (Kodoku no Gourmet) is worth checking out. It's a neat blend of fiction and a food show. Goro, the main character, goes around Japan to real restaurants to eat. Each episode shows real places and their food.

Some shows that I like are マツコの知らない世界、 しゃべくり007、水曜日のダウンタウン.

The one asking about the song was a different Finn

Let's see that handwriting, DJT!

~4 months into studying. Pic related is the notebook I use to write down new kanji from Core 2k/6k. Pls no bully. Advice is welcome.
[spoiler]Bonus: I fucked up 曇pretty bad in the bottom left.[/spoiler]

protip, turn your paper 90 degrees and write top-bottom.

I've tried that before. Is the width that bad on some of mine?

nah, it just looks cooler that way.

help

Oh right, I forgot about Game Center CX. I've remember watching a couple of episodes back in the day when I didn't know a lick of moon and enjoyed it. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

It sounds pretty awkward to me. Perhaps something like the following would've made it clearer:
職場でもお魚が食べられる方法
OK: スウェーデンの魚
NG: すべての他の魚

Gonna look it up, thanks.

I've actually been wanting to check that show out, but completely forgot about it. I think I even have a bunch of it downloaded, so I'll watch some episodes. Thanks.

Awesome, I'll check them out. I've caught a bit of マツコの知らない世界 on TV before and it was pretty interesting.

i wont

>スウェーデンの魚
I think スイーディッシュ・フィッシュ would be better since it's a brand name.

Is this a mining or Core deck? If it's Core, what is (or was) your process for learning new words that show up?

I'm sure my mature retention is so low because I never encounter many words outside of Anki, so I can go months without seeing it until it comes up again for review on Anki and I have to press "again".

>Is this a mining or Core deck?
both, I mined into core to do the one deck
>If it's Core, what is (or was) your process for learning new words that show up?
Nothing special. I look at them, and the definition. If its vague to me, I have made a link that pops the word into google.jp images to get a better sense of it. That doesn't always work obviously.

Recently I've been abusing the reposition feature in the browser(edit, reposition or ctrl shift s) on words im reading in the VN that the author likes to use a lot. So that reading it isn't a stumbling mess.
Also with various words I keep confusing, I look at the radical difference properly on jisho(姓 vs 性) but 連濁 continues to fuck me(心苦しい vs 暑苦しい).

my wife chino is so cute

gan ni na bu cao ji bai

you should learn this.
とめ はね はらい

ギッブアップするわけねぇだろ!! 遊びなんだからな!!!

タモリさんのそう言った名言だ。

上手か下手か構わない!! 楽しんで続いていけ!

>ゆっくり大きな円を描くように動かしながら力を抜きます
That sure doesn't look like a circle to me

>ゆっくり大きな円
>ゆっくり
I think they want to imagine a really fucking huge circle. They also don't literally want a circle (力を抜きます).

Yeah, I know they don't literally mean a circle, but it just seems like a bad way to describe it.

That is a guide for calligraphy with a brush.
Isn’t any tracing practice books available there?

Besides I found free copy books.
penji-mikata.com/kanji.html

What's the meaning of 「そこからか!」?
Is it just expression exasperation "Going that far?!" when giving something like an explanation?

I think it's more expressing exasperation at having to explain something from a basic level or starting point, like "You mean I have to start from there?!"

そこまで would be far, not それから.

Yeah I didn't word that right, I think what I found here: oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/7731202.html, more or less is the same answer as yours.
>遥かな時代からの因果関係を紐解き
In particular

おやすみ、DJT

午後3:40ですけど

I ran out of lead for my mechanical pencil please send help

Put a sewing needle for substitution and scratch letters on your desk.

Do this but instead of scratching a desk just prick yourself and write with your blood

Are there any japanese here?

My biggest fear is accidentally using Anime Japanese in Hellotalk.
What common phrases should I avoid?

Ok google

Most of phrases uesd in anime are not indecent in certain situations because they have already passed the broadcast codes, and you even use specific phrases like “nikko nikko nee” or “sugooi! Friends!” because ordinary people don’t even watch anime and may regard you as some gaijin who is still in process of developing his Japanese.
You can talk like Anime characters even during your job interview. Carry on.

AVOID
ohayou
genki?
w

USE
omaenankabuttaositeyaru
orehaokottazohuri-za
bukkorositeyaru

So do you have any opinions on his song?
And he seemed also knowing Japanese for some extent. Is it practically popular there?

meant for

This webm makes me want to kill myself.

I'm not sure if I would eat that even when completely wasted

Put the gun down!
Put down the gun!
Which is correct?

I think both are correct but depending on the context one is better than the other
sorry I can't explain it really

Thank you very much for answering my question
I have heard both on movies and I couldn't find a Japanese explanation about the difference

They're both correct, and the nuance of both is honestly a bit fuzzy. "Put the gun down" has more of a request-like feeling to it, like someone pleading with someone to put the gun down, or someone trying to defuse a situation (like "Put the gun down [so we can talk]", etc). "Put down the gun" is a bit more forceful and is implies more of an order than a request. But like I said it's a bit fuzzy, and really either could be used in either situation, but this is how I'd probably think of it if I had to define a difference.

両方の言い方は正しいけれども、本当にすごくきれいな英語にしたいなら、「to put down」, 「to put on」, 「to take off」などという連語を使うときに、かならずverbとprepositionを別れないよいにしたほうがいい。とこれで、ああいう連語はphrasal verbsとういうものなんだ。

I don't think Japanese or anime is any more popular here than it is in rest of Europe or America

Thank you! I'll watch a movie carefully about that next time

ありがとう。phrasal verbsというのか。厄介だな。looking forward to とかbe accustomed toの後に~ingが来たりすると混乱する。

I think they both can be used in a forceful or pleading manner and it really comes down to the tone/volume of the voice.

Does Kami mean God or hair?

both, also paper

Do you have any opinion on “Space ship Sagittarius”? It didn’t appear on your list.

I just looked into it and found this. I feel like the technique is more noticeable with a brush pen. I just use a Pilot Precise V5.

I haven't watched it and from the pictures I saw from googling, I'm not a big fan of the character design. It supposedly has a pretty good story though so maybe I'll watch it later if I'm feeling like it

Yes, it looks like European or American ones. But I think it’s good.
And Time bokan series, or Doteraman is my favorite in 80’s, but may not intrigue you also.

Aren’t you a person working in translation or something? Don’t you have any intention to do something conducive with your knowledge?

>Don’t you have any intention to do something conducive with your knowledge?
Nope

Okay.

80年代だとあと何だろう。
ホームズはいいのはやっぱ宮崎駿の回だけだったしなー。
タツノコのとか好きじゃないんでしょどうせ?良いのになーセリフとか。

>"Little Busters! English Edition" is a new version that further enhances "Little Busters! PERFECT EDITION". This new edition supports HD resolution for the first time on PC, and allows dynamic switching between Japanese and English text.

I don't want to play this VN because it looks bad but are there any other VNs with this "dynamic switching" feature? I'm still probably too slow to read a VN purely in jap because I'd be looking up kanji quite often, but with a button to swap between languages it'd be pretty fast to type the english for that noun/verb and get the reading of the kanji rather than having to draw it or find it by radical

Texthooker. Guide.

I don’t prefer recent animes but English ver of Kon OP by Christina vee is somehow fascinating me a bit, but couldn’t find any sources here other than YouTube...
It seems I have to ask somebody abroad to send that fluffy fluffy time to me.

でも、アニメが人気になるのは分かるけど、まさか海外のアノン達があの安っぽいラノベに夢中になるとは意外だったなあ、、
正直あんまり知られたくないサブカルチャーだったのに。
やっぱり洋の東西を問わずアノンって言うのはバカばっかりなんだね。
ゆっくりしていってね!

Is there a name and/or explanation for the phenomenon where particles get "tucked into" other words rather than being chained to the either end of them?
Like how it's 誰にも instead of 誰もに and でもある instead of もである

cheers, installed and got this working. translations are janky as fuck but if anything that helps as long as the grammar structures aren't beyond me/slang

youtube.com/watch?v=GXThuaDGBiA

What do you think?

>Like how it's 誰にも instead of 誰もに and でもある instead of もである
I don’t get you.
も、に、で are all particles and it seems instances you presented are just challenging its order.
Just like
“applied to even anyone “ and “applied even to anyone “
or
“also could be “ and “could also be “.
Did I comprehend what you said correctly?

Not “challenging”
“changing”
Sorry.

I mean how
Aだけではなくて、Bでもある
means something different from
Aだけではなくて、Bもである
at least, as far as I'm aware.
I was just curious about why the も gets put into である

Can't figure the symbol after 実, logically I can only guess 実践, but not sure if it looks similar enough to it. Is it 践 or is it something else?

I wish they'd just republish older volumes in non-ant resolutions.

>Aだけではなくて、Bでもある
>Aだけではなくて、Bもである
Okay,
In that case, you would better regard
“でも” as one particle and “ある” as verb for the first sentence, and
“も” as particle and “である” as verb for the second.
I couldn’t come up with any cases where particle get inserted into other words and think it would never happen.
It’s confusing though but I also have bunch of difficulties in English.
Paying respect to your struggling to learn our language. Regards.

It's fine. It's not really important, I was just curious.
ありがとうございます。

Seems “実装”.(implementation)
Commonly used among IT guys.

Oh, right, I completely forgot about that one, thank you, that has to be it.

I love Japanese.

I think the difference is
>Aだけではなくて、Bでもある
not only A, but (even) B too
>Aだけではなくて、Bもである
not only A, but also B
dearu being the same as da

correct me if I'm wrong

いらぶよう!