>don't know the difference between who, whom, whose and who's
>don't know the difference between then and than
>don't know the difference between to and too
>don't know the difference between of and off
>don't know the difference between lose and loose
>don't know the difference between effect and affect
>don't know the difference between simple past and past perfect
>don't know the difference between adjectives and adverbs
>don't know the difference between possessive form, plural and third person singular
>don't know how to spell or pronounce common words
>don't know comma rules or any other punctuation rules
>unironically say "should of" or "could of"

When will they learn?

>inb4 >be German

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/a6b5f9n7E-0
en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Tramp_Abroad/Appendix_D
youtube.com/watch?v=1edPxKqiptw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>be german.
>ruin europe for the fourth time.

I are houling at this' post

Fritz btfo desu

>>don't know the difference between there, their and they're
>>don't know the difference between your and you're
>>don't know the difference between its and it's
>>don't know the difference between were and we're
These are all obvious, and the only time people get them mixed up is if they're not paying attention to their grammar.

>>don't know the difference between who, whom,
That's naturally hard, but whose and who's i've never even heard of people getting confused on

>>don't know the difference between then and than
What?

>>don't know the difference between to and too
Only if you're not paying attention

>>don't know the difference between of and off
What?

>>don't know the difference between lose and loose
>>don't know the difference between effect and affect
These are just confusing tbqh

>>don't know the difference between simple past and past perfect
>>don't know the difference between adjectives and adverbs
>>don't know the difference between possessive form, plural and third person singular
delet

>don't know how to spell or pronounce common words
I can pronounce every common word. But names aren't necessarily common. Hence I can't pronounce something like Mercershire

>>don't know comma rules or any other punctuation rules
delet

>>unironically say "should of" or "could of"
what's wrong with this?

I didn't study the language, I just speak it.

I know all of those, only Americans mix those up

based sven

Are all kiwis this stupid?

Kiwis don't take English classes?

Yes.

“off of”

>most of these are just spelling mistakes which makes sense because natives tend to transcribe phonemes
ok

Who cares about speaking correctly in English, you anglo cock sucker.

This language is dirty, ugly, over-simplistic and is designed to be sharted on.

>when you think europe is on your level so you devise a plan to bring slavery to the modern age but instead reignite the flames of the old european nationalist zeitgeist and pave the way for european world domination

Sie sind richtig. Deutsch ist eine bessere Sprache. :-)

youtu.be/a6b5f9n7E-0

I don't get why people get so upset over this. Languges evolve constantly, the process is beyond our control. Trying to impose arbitrary rules is ethically questionable (nobody "owns" a language and gets to define how it should be), especially if they make the language more complicated, add exceptions or serve no purpose (ie solve ambiguity).

Try reading middle english today. People were already bitching that "the young were ruining their language" back then. Yet themselves were incapable of reading old english. Etc etc…

One problem of having poor spelling is that it's often used as an indicator of social status. Try for instance writing a résumé full of mistakes, and see how many replies you get…

Tyrone, stop making our country look illiterate.

Delete this post. You're an embarrassment to English speakers.

You're yelling into the void here, pal. Reasonable arguments are unwelcome.

You're one of those people that say shit like 'ectcetera' and 'ecscape' aren't you?

No, and I really don't know why you'd assume that.

>don't know the difference between who, whom
English lost the case system almost a thousand years ago, whom is pretty much just an accident at this point

>axelly

>like what even are letters, bro? So what if I read and spell at a third grade level, language is just a social construct, dude

>>don't know the difference between simple past and past perfect
I correct kids about this all the time (I'm a teacher).
> I have wrote
is said multiple times a day.

>>don't know the difference between adjectives and adverbs
This is mainly, but not solely, an American problem.
> Drive quick
> I'm good
are Americanisms, and most (educated) Britons know that they're wrong.

>>>don't know the difference between who, whom, whose and who's
'Whom' is viewed as archaic, but is still a good way to discern learned speakers.
The use of 'who's' for the possessive is another common mistake, usually by the illiterate.

The main one I see these days is 'brought', instead of 'bought'.

>Should have went
Every Twitch streamer multiple times a day...

English still has the case system, but only a few words, like 'who', actually decline for it.

The correct use of 'whom' or the subjunctive is an easy way to recognise that you're speaking to an educated and intelligent person.

>> I'm good

What's the problem with that? [Subject] is [adjective], like "I am hungry".

> I am good
means that you are a good, honest, or upright person.

> I am well
means that your current condition or health is good.

PS.
'Well' is the adverb to the verb 'to be'. Since 'good' is not an adverb, it cannot describe your 'being'.

It's prescriptive grammar. A lot of these rules are just made up after the fact.

Fug, just realized I'd completely forgotten about the word 'whose' for longer than I can remember. For some reason I've remembered the distinction between its and it's, but not whose and who's. Weird.

Another problem which foreigners find mildly amusing and frustrating is the overuse of 'get'.

> I got tired
> Get in lane
> It had got warm

And I totally agree: it's a disgusting word.

>I'm doing good
You're doing good? What goods are you doing? Want to share some of the goods? TRIGGERED

Mate, adverbs describe verbs. This has been the case for thousands of years.

Say 'I'm good' in educated company, and you'd be laughed out the building.

en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Tramp_Abroad/Appendix_D

I'm gonna fuck the english language and y'all can't stop me

>'It's so good actually'
Or
>It's so actually so good'
Both drive me fucking insane.

I thought when people say "I'm good" they use it as a meme saying, like saying I'm Gucci.

>Say 'I'm good' in educated company, and you'd be laughed out the building.
Thene these people would be assholes. The kind I wouldn't want to be around. Never mind the fact that most educated people make mistakes as well, yet they feel free to judge others for their mistakes. For example, how they say "coup de grâce".

How is actually used correctly?

new favorite post

Watching league video makers and streamers say it the "Anglo way" really rustled my jimmies.

Since 'how are you?' is the standard English greeting (more so than 'hello'), the standard reply is often 'I'm well' or 'I'm good'. So this is uttered billions of times a day.

I was being partly hyperbolic: people wouldn't necessarily laughed you out of the building, but they would, just like with every other part of speech, form an opinion of you based on your diction.

If an American says 'I'm good', then everyone just thinks 'He's American, he was bound to say that'. But in educated British company, 'I'm good' literally sounds barbaric.

people are saying "should've"or "could've"
you're just not listening

>english is such a bastardized language they didn't even adapt their french loanwords to their idioms like most of france's neighbors

I'm not saying there isn't sound reasoning behind it, but the truth is our language has no official, canonised standard form, it's all very ad hoc. When people say, "I'm good" for instance, it's not because they're intentionally trying to jeopardise our grammar, it's just they have a meaning in mind that they want to express; they aren't thinking about how it dilutes both words.

>I'm good
Nice to meet you good I'm Franklin

In that sentence it's okay, but the context matters.
The way I see people (usually in the Dota community) is to say 'actually' when the no one is actually challenging the viewpoint. It's the same as the way 'literally' has seemingly become a word used for emphasis, instead of it's intended meaning.

I agree. But language evolution has always been of two camps: the lax and the conservative. I'm simply playing my conservative role.

This is all elementary knowledge though.

Ultimately though, both sides are pissing in the wind, as once some new form becomes common enough, it will be considered valid usage (over time) a posteriori. Same with pronunciation, and it happens even faster.

No, some people can even become quite aggressive when you mention this. Happend to me a couple of times in friendly environments.

The grammar rules have become so blurry for some native speakers, they don't know anything about their own language. How embarrassing is this? This makes me question whether those people have actually gone to school and taken any kind of language lessions. I find it quite amusing that people who've learnt English as their first foreign language in school can sometimes be better at speaking it (excluding pronunciation and extended listening comprehension and vocabulary usage of course - that's a skill you can't aquire in school).

If I compare that to German, everyone has to take mandatory German classes throughout their whole school carreer, with grammar lessions in the early years. It's impossible for Germans to fuck up that badly compared to Murricans for example. The most annoying mistakes Germans make are das/dass, seid/seit and some other minor stuff. But that's about it. Compare that to It wouldn't even take two minutes for me to go to a different thread here or on reddit to find this mistake in written form. Don't talk out of your ass.

Hello Florian Philippot.

To be fair, Deutsch has more consistent spelling rules and pronunciation. The grammar is somewhat simpler as well (though both share a lot of similarities) and less ambiguous thanks to the mandatory commas.

Because Britons (and perhaps Americans, I don't know) receive NO grammar instruction whatsoever. Perhaps they will receive some instruction on apostrophes or quotation marks. That's it.

Things like 'possessive' or 'case' or even 'perfect' are not taught at all, in the entire 3-18 age range.

t. Teacher.

tough / through / dough

word / sword

laugh / slaughter

etc etc…

you dont
>coup de etat (french)
>coup de etat ("English")
i know "hit of state" wouldnt sound good but man, im sure you could make something up
>golpe de estado

Same in Greece, you even have to learn ancient Greek to a certain basic degree.
German was my second foreign language choice after English and i was surprised to find out that the grammar has a lot of similar to ancient greek grammar. You even have Dativ, although it's not used a lot nowadays.

I wouldn't say that it's simpler, because it has much more depth, because it is more strict. The lack of all this makes English much more implicit, which is bad if you want to express yourself, but it's good if you learn it as a second language.

I don't know if I feel more anger or sadness right now.

That's what makes it simpler to learn. There are fewer exceptions, fewer ways to write the same thing in ambiguous ways. A strict, well-defined grammar is good for everyone.

English has many "garden path" sentences that are intentionally hard to parse:

"fat people eat accumulates"
"violonist linked to crash blossoms"

>coup d'etat

putsch

Too german

I don't understand why foreigners take so much pride in learning English, is it supposed to be impressive or something?
>I'm a polyglot
Oh, which languages do you speak?
>Danish, Swedish, *irrelevant dialect* and English
Hmm

this

Extreme rigidity is what makes certain languages so shitty. Correct grammar is obviously nice, but if it's the cost of flexibility, then it's worth it.

what you're hearing is "should've" or "could've", which is correct if informal

>I don't understand why foreigners take so much pride in learning English, is it supposed to be impressive or something?
Proficiency in any non-native language is impressive, yes. Et toi, tu parles combien de languages? Wie viel Sprachen kennen Sie ?

> "fat people eat accumulates"
Ungrammatical: 'Accumulates' isn't a noun.

> "violonist linked to crash blossoms"
Ungrammatical: there is no main verb.

Wrong, and wrong.

"fat, (that) people eat, accumulates" ; accumulate is a verb.

"violonist, linked to crash, blossoms" ; blossom is the main verb.

>my language is easy, i have no comparison points but i know because i can speak it
silly

My French is alright, the difference though is that I'm not saturated in it. Fair dos for French people who likely aren't exposed to English often but it's a bit rich coming from some of these places that end up speaking it more than their native languages

>what you're hearing
google.com/search?q="should of"
People use it all the time online. Try to defend this...

And? They're still ungrammatical. You're missing the relative pronoun from both (and protip: it isn't 'that').

well they're retards, what do you want me to say?

>shoulda
>coulda
>woulda

for what is "a" and "the"?
just use "this"

>And? They're still ungrammatical. You're missing the relative pronoun from both (and protip: it isn't 'that').
You're being obtuse and wrong. Read up about "garden path sentences", these are fairly well known examples that have been studied a lot by linguists. They serve as proof to answer the question "when reading, do we parse sentences bit by bit, or as a whole?".

nothing, just accept that this usage of words is disgusting

not as bad as "should of", because "shoulda" isn't a word and clearly meant colloquially

Not him, but remember that native speakers do not actively 'learn' the language, and that writing is in a quite distant second place to the vastly more popular speaking and listening. 'Should've' and 'should of' sound exactly the same in colloquial speech.

It's still barbaric and illiterate, but that's my explanation for it.

also imposible to say something more komplex than
"hot bob kill red dog"

>doesn't realise the difference between theoretical english and real english

> 'garden path' sentences cannot be ungrammatical
That's not the point. These nonsense-sentences are clear evidence that speaking and writing are two fundamentally different things, and so these, if anything, prove the 'should've' / 'should of' discussion irrelevant; not that English is in some way 'deficient' or 'too simple'.

It's not like we have any way of knowing the nationality of the people posting that are though.
I'm not going to pretend I haven't seen native speakers making that mistake, but then I'm sure foreigners do it as well.

I'm absolutely aware of why they are writing like that. It's just so fucking retarded.
The good part is though, that it's a simple indicator for knowing whether it's worth speaking to that person or not...

>I'm sure foreigners do it as well
hell no
The only imaginable reason why a non-native speaker would use this is because they are copying retarded native speakers

We don't really need to. Native speakers just need the context and they'll understand what is being written.

That wasn't my point at all. I was arguing that, compared to German, the English grammar is less rigid and allows for a lot of ambiguity that can sometimes be harmful even in day-to-day speech. No language is "worse" or "better" than another language, that's not what this is about. Some, however, can be easier to learn, depending on which language you already know.

you described me

>is because they are copying retarded native speakers
Sure, but it's not like that disproves what I said.

Vocaroo this m8 I want to laugh at your pronunciation.

It's VERY rare that those clearly recognizable mistakes are being copied.

That's a made up statement with no proof.

They all act like they're some kind of English scholars even though they probably have the English capacity of a 12 year old. English is fucking everywhere, people are saturated in it.

Vocaroo this
youtube.com/watch?v=1edPxKqiptw

I'm not vocarooing anything, because this recording will be sold and used by neural networks for identifying my voice