Sup Forums ACADEMIC THREAD

I think Sup Forums has some of the most intellegent posters on Sup Forums, hence why I ask here.

Fields I've been looking into:
>Political science
>Law
>Architecture
>Computer science

What should I study in university?
Perhaps some less-known field I'm not aware of?

What do you want to work in the future?

Desk-job, something dignified, with a career future even past 40.

> Pic unrelated, Israeli eye candies might get me some answers

No one here has a career so it's not the best place for advice.

All of your options are good besides political science.

>besides political science.
Why is that?

Computer science seems like the choice for you.

Also I heard it's a big thing in Israel
A lot of your revenue comes from digital programing, right?

Because that's a non-degree useful for flipping burgers. Then again, you are a jew so if you have some connections with the big merchants you might land yourself some lobbying job and pull the strings of the amerifats or the eucuckrats.

>Computer science
You're right but I really wanted to hear people suggesting other fields.
It's too math-ish for my taste though doable.

Haha. Well, Jewish nepotism is quite difficult in a country full of Jews.

Just learn coding or anything that will allow you to work from home - be a freelancer master race.
If you are not certain about your degree choice, then you don't have a genuine interest in any of these subjects, so it's like a Russian roulette - you might like it or you might hate it for the rest of your life.
Just start a career without wasting your time in classrooms first.

You can't imagine how comfy it is to work whenever you want to.

Isn't this how all desk-jobs supposed to be?
Math is important and you can't escape it

Unless if you want to work as a doctor

So many Jewish moms made it so only the top 1% of students in Israel are eligible to study medicine, grade-wise.

Not afraid of socializing and actually attending a university.
I am scared of choosing the wrong subject and realizing this too late.

If you are going to go somewhere prestigious do something important not bs you could do at a regular college even though its hard.

Based on your choices I would do Law or CS.
Law would obviously take you a while and you have to memorize a lot I believe

CS is pretty cool. Something about Hebrew makes it easy for Israeli programmers. There is some math but I find it interesting. More math/computational theory than actual programming

If you just want a job and want to program do Software Engineering.

IT seems easier than CS and SE. Don't learn much programming or theoretical stuff but seems chill and you can apply to the same jobs if you really wanted to

Accounting seems pretty comfy from what I hear. Lots more hot girls in accounting/finance so theres that too.

If don't have an actual interest in these subjects, then no point in choosing from them.
Freelance is your best choice, university is a waste of time.

Don't go into law. Or at the very least, don't go into commercial law -- perhaps family and criminal is different, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Here are some functionally-described tasks of stock corporate lawyers (my job):
>looking through thousands of documents to find the one you were looking for
>emailing dozens of people, in your firm and outside, to obtain documents or to help others obtain documents
>reading through thousands of documents to find bits of information that might create risk to a company's business or lower its valuation ("due diligence")
>making minor modifications to a previous agreement someone wrote, substituting names dates and the like, and then going back-and-forth sending blackline revisions to opposing counsel to negotiate every little punctuation mark and semicolon
>arguing with people on conference calls about modifications to any agreements
>responding to clients, opposing counsel, or more senior lawyers within a 15-30 minute timeframe, regardless of the time of day
>double, triple, quadruple checking every fact or assertion you ever make in any context
>thanking your senior colleagues for delegating the shit parts of their work to you
>delegating the even shittier parts of your work to younger colleagues and watching their smiles erode when you give them a friday night work assignment due sunday evening

College drop out, major in information system. im gonna sleep kby

cats >>> dogs desu

> I want to get skills that will allow me to easily move to whichever country i choose, stay for a months and then move again
Wat do

Then how about traveling to somewhere where it's more available?

>Not afraid of socializing and actually attending a university.
>I am scared of choosing the wrong subject and realizing this too late.
When I had this problem I looked at the full courses that were required by the degrees I was interested in. When you are comparing them all you will notice they all have bs classes everyone has to eventually take.

But start looking in at the ones related to the major you are looking at and what they teach you. Try looking at some older class syllabuses as well to see what books, chapters/topics, hw will be assigned. Will help you make a decision. Also even just looking at the names of the classes you will take can help narrow it down. When I was looking at some of the electrical engineering/mechanical engineering/and business classes I would have to take vs my current major I eventually realized I would hate all those in the other majors.

tl;dr keep doing research, look more into the major, what you learn and do once graduating

you could become an English teacher

> Hebrew makes it easy for Israeli programmers.
First time I hear about that theory. Nice though.
>IT
> and you can apply to the same jobs if you really wanted to
How come?
>Accounting
Not my cup of tea. I've heard it's quite boring.

Thanks for elaborating. Sounds both tedious and petty. Any silver lining? Perhaps the paycheck?

ayy

People do do that all the way to Eastern Europe. I'm actually not that fond of hospitals and germs.

I see. You're right- I'm currently trying to get all the info prior to my uni application. My parents are rushing me 'cmon mister our friend's son is already a graduate'.

Also, what is your major?

Comp sci is definitely your best bet for a stable career if you enjoy coding. I don't know about Israel, but law lately is a clogged industry where you only succeed if you manage connections with the top law firms, and far too many young lawyers end up unemployed or working for peanuts. Poli sci lol, unless you manage to apply what you learn from that into another field, or really have nepotism on your side. Not too sure about architecture, but I heard it isn't particularly lucrative and is highly competitive.

>Comp sci is definitely your best bet for a stable career if you enjoy coding.
I've heard many 40-year-olds tend to get the boot over new employees who are skilled with the latest tech.

> law lately is a clogged industry where you only succeed if you manage connections
Same here. Too bad though.

>Poli sci lol, unless you manage to apply what you learn from that into another field,
What do you mean by that?

>architecture, but I heard it isn't particularly lucrative and is highly competitive.
Isn't that the same case for any non-liberal academic field?

>How come?
Cause HR people are silly. You would have to learn stuff on the side but you'd be fine. What matters is having some nice projects on your resume, not dropping all your spaghetti in the interview, and doing well in the technical portion if needed
Lol good luck man. Its a big choice but you'll make the right one.

Thankfully I didn't have pressure from my parents to do something specific but I was very lost. I was competent and interested in everything. Eventually I did CS and I can't imagine doing anything else now. Im 3 years deep and really passionate about it

also how can I get an Israeli gf?

Poli sci isn't a very practical education by most employer standards, so unless you can branch out into something else like writing, law, or working in politics, I don't think it is considered a great field to enter into. About architecture, I have to admit I don't know much about it, so just take it as a mostly ignorant opinion about the field.

>Thankfully I didn't have pressure from my parents to do something specific but I was very lost. I was competent and interested in everything. Eventually I did CS and I can't imagine doing anything else now. Im 3 years deep and really passionate about it
How's that going for you? You may elabroate as much as you want - I'mma read it all

You need to do a Zionist barrel roll.

>Poli sci
>, or working in politics,
Is it too unrealistic to want to get into politics subsequent to studying that?

You would be better off asking randos on the street. The people here are dumber on average

>Political science
No point unless your school is well-connected in politics and it will translate to a career in political consulting

>Law
In the US at least, the market for lawyers is saturated. You've got people with degrees from Harvard Law School who are having trouble finding good-paying jobs

>Architecture
This is an art degree. As with any art you better be good and be prepared to be poor/struggling/hustling/selling out for a long time

>Computer science
If you just want to go into software development, you might as well skip college and start now. Unless you're interested in academics or something esoteric and/or specialized, all you need for a career in software is Google and time

> software development,
Alright. Can you weigh in on his reply?

A typical CS curriculum doesn't teach you how to be a programmer, per se; it almost certainly doesn't train you in current industry standards for any given field, and generally neglects things like web application development and systems design. In sum, it tends to be more academic than practical.

It's still a good gateway to a job in software. It's just not a necessary one.

For example, you don't need a formal education to be a front-end web developer. You just need a basic understanding of programming and software development, which you can get by reading about them. And some people even get by without that... I have seen people without high school degrees earning over $100k because they taught themselves JavaScript over many months and years of reading and practice and working their way up through entry-level to junior to mid, etc. I'm not saying that anybody can do it (it requires a certain level of discipline and a certain kind of mind), but it certainly doesn't require a BA or BS or anything resembling a formal education.

I see. I'm not much of an autodidact so having a classroom, books and homework might be better off for me.

Thank you for your time everybody. Good night.

>You need to do a Zionist barrel roll.
Fuggg. I won't convert though. But pls giv me an Israeli wife

Its going great. There's so much cool shit to specialize in and learn Im almost sad Im getting close to the end of the road. It's been a little stressful at times with exams and the course load since I want to do well but that's to be expected. Wish I had more time to do personal projects cause blockchain applications seem really cool.

Classes I thought would be difficult along the way actually turned out to be very easy for me like Calculus/Statistics/All the other math ones. Easy classes like Ethics were such a pain. Did well in my computer architecture class but I've realized I'm not much of a hardware guy and now that Im getting closer to graduating some of the classes relating to hardware seem annoying. Physics was actually really really difficult though even for someone who loves math like me.

Next semester will be fun cause Im going to do machine learning and maybe a computer vision class.

From when I was 18 to now I've gotten much better at making my resume look good and at interviews. Its definitely an art you have to eventually learn. Also apply to places even if you don't meet all the requirements. I made the mistake of being scared my earlier years.

>Political "Science"
Kek, fucking positivists. No, waste of time.
>Law
Okay
>Architecture
Okay
>CS
It's the future.