Why was the name of "Philosopher's Stone" changed to "Sorcerer's Stone" in the American edition?

Why was the name of "Philosopher's Stone" changed to "Sorcerer's Stone" in the American edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-18387,00.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Burgers don't know what philosophy is, the name should have been just been "Harry and the magic rock" in usa

Philosopher was too hard to pronounce for them

These

The publishers thought Americans would be too stupid to know what a philosopher was in that context (I'm not kidding)

"Sorcerer" sounds exciting, "philosopher" sounds boring, and nobody in America knows what a philosopher is. Famous title changes to take account of the incredible ignorance of the average American include "Licence Revoked" which became "Licence to Kill" when over 70% of those polled didn't what "Revoked" means, and "The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy.

Harry is too British as well. It should have been "Jesus and the Magic Rock".

It would sell like hotdogs.

>and "The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy

It should have been "Wizard boy 1"

>and "The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy
I would have believed that, if not for the fact that Americans can't read Roman numerals.

"The Nerdy guy"

>Greeks no longer interested in philosophy
Explains a lot

>being this pathetic that you need multiple proxies to samefag your own thread

kek

They thought children would be adverse to philosophy, it was a right decision

screaming

lmao

Yeah that book totally tanked in the rest of the world...

theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-18387,00.html

I also found that most of the posts were copypasted from here.

Which is pretty much what you'd expect from Ikibey.

Only the Greek comment you pillock

gredast ally :DD

>nobody can think we are stupid, must be proxy!!1

>He Googled a comment in a Harry Pooting thread out of raw bum pain

Anyway, invoking Occam's Razor, "sorcerer" just sounded more badass to the target audience.

That's the reason why i didn't saw a single "Lupin III" films.

>being this mad

That's the reason why i didn't saw a single "Lupin III" film.

Still better than the Pokemon dub changing Japanese rice cakes to donuts.

>Which is pretty much what you'd expect from Ikibey.
How do you know it's Ikibey?

Albanian subhuman immigrant in America. Jealous of Greeks.

The wh*te and orcposting was started by him and 1-2 other mentally ill Turks after they got bullied too hard for not being white and they snapped and started spamming Sup Forums with this shit.

>"Jesus and the Magic Rock"
That's too white, "Muhammad and the Magic Rock" sounds more tolerant.

>muh proxy

>and "The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy.

>all those americans
Didn't know that finland was that popular american tourist destination.

>"The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy.
lel

>
Soros paid me to make this thread btw

> Butt blasted

>we always joke even if that supports the stereotypes

ITT we complain about successful author selling kabillions of books to people who aren't supposed to be able to read.
Well done, Sup Forums.

>american children aren't supposed to be able to read

you are the retard

>no u
Get a grip, mate.

Well, looks like you got me there. We only buy them too put BBQ sauce upon.

In Master & Commander the enemy ship was originally American but was changed to France so as not to offend the easily insulted American audience.

Are there any other examples of altered movie titles?

Donuts? We need more people thinking about fucking donuts? Why not just leave it at rice balls? Those are healthier than donuts and it's not like it's hard to understand what they are. But no, we just have to encourage kids to think that their favorite characters are actually eating donut meals. It's in their interest for kids to grow up as fat fucks who watch tv all the time.