>Go to pick up something from the grocery store
>Have to drive one hour on the highway just to get there

>be american
>pick an item
>the price tag says $4
>go to pay
>said item is actually more expensive

Not every state has sales tax.

Utterly mental that I've seen Americans literally defend this.

This actually makes sense though. It help keeps our math skills in shape as we have to think about how much the item actually costs and reminds us of the frustration of taxes, something this country was founded on.

>the store has an area of 5 kilometers squared
>sells everything from vegetables to guns to clothing

None of our stores sell vegetables

I am 2 kilometers from the nearest house and I only drive 10 minutes to store

It's nonsense shit like this that's makes Sup Forums shit

I could buy McDonald's, tires, eyeglasses, and milk at the same store.

I think this would only be the case if you live far far into the countryside. I live in the suburbs and it takes about 2 minutes via road to drive there, I can technically walk there but I don't want to carry the grocery bags all the way back my arms will get too tired.

The item itself is not more expensive. The reason why you have to pay more is because of taxes....pretty much Uncle Sam demands a certain amount of money every time we want to buy anything (sales tax). Its stupid but there you go.

So if I go to buy an item for $1.......US govt demands I pay 6 cents. Why? Just because.

>Be American
>Accidentally shoot floorboard and need to get it replaced
>Drive in a 4 ton 6 wheeled armoured truck to shop
>Go to floorboard section
>Measured length you need in inches but they only sell in feet
>spend an hour converting the inches into feet
>Then get the price by converting that to the dollar per foot ratio factoring in a 17.53%tip based on the service and 9% sales tax and 3 coupons you have
>Hand over credit card and pay with somebody else money with interest even though you have money
>As you walk back to the car see your bumper sticker of America's GDP
>Lament on how your superior culture and efficient systems created the greatest country on earth.

"I pay, therefore I pay"

Because list prices do not include taxes. It's the same in Japan as well. It's nothing strange or eccentric. Calculating the final price is quite a pain in the ass though.

>tfw the nearest grocery store and mall is a minute walk away

>I can technically walk there

It'd be retarded if stores had to go through and redo everything whenever the sales tax rate changed.

close but the average American has no idea what a GDP is

why not include taxes in the final price then