Which is the most overrated city or country you have visited?

Which is the most overrated city or country you have visited?

zuid-afrika

What were you expecting?

India. I knew it was a shithole but thought it would have some redeeming qualities since so many people love it. Nope. It's a complete shithole and nothing else.

Paris

I heard that Cape Town was a fairly dazzling city

mallorca. literally a warm beach surrounded by a ghetto.

england, london and eastbourne in particular

France, shitty weather and people

How come you ended up in Eastbourne?

Bergen, Norway was severely overrated

i came by ferry

Indians are so such loving and kind people! went there to find myself and get away from the rat race. I'm so virtuous and better than you now you wanker

Ah right. How long did you spend there? Never been to Eastbourne myself, just seemed an odd choice.

hong kong

go to tokyo instead

like a week. nothing special made a few trips to london and brighton. i also considered going to hastings but fuck me, it didnt seem like it would add much to the vacation

Hamburg, the shittiest, trashiest city I have ever seen

I'm not really familiar with the south east coast, so cannot really recommend anywhere for you to visit if you ever came back.

If you do though, maybe try the south west area instead - Plymouth, Falmouth, Torquay, Newquay, Land's End, Goonhilly, Padstow, etc.

Qatar/UAE

Also Dublin is heavily overrated, Cork is way more interesting

alright, thanks for the hookup. land's end sounds like an endgame raid though

How come ? I hear from everybody it's the "best" city in germany.

Might be a bit biased since it was right after the G20 riots and I had to stay at the train station with the local alcoholics and niggers through the night, but I generally think lower germany quite simply is shit and you have to go to Bavaria/Austria to have a reasonably good time

Rio de Janeiro:ugly,dirty,,has a gas canister inside the van,Where you look has a favela,Fucking expensive cost of living

Prague
>omg it has so many beautiful old buildings
they were nothing special, we have the same kinds of buildings over here

Boston, by a fucking mile

Tel Aviv, fuck this shithole hope it gets carpet bombed.

This, also I know it was rebuilt but it looks fake as fuck, as the used plastic to build it back instead of stone.

do people even rate Dublin? i rarely hear much good about it.
it's far better to visit small towns if you go to Ireland, the landscapes are the best part.

What's so bad about it, and which Israeli city would you prefer.

Stop being antisemitic, Yitzhak.

I liked Dublin a lot and hated Cork on the other hand, which is Ukraine tier.

t. Been to Ukraine

It's just a rancid, stinky, dirty piece of shit filled with shopping malls and the most pretentious, annoying, egotistic, shit eating people you'll ever meet. Literally every city in bumfuck nowhere, USA looks better than it, I suffer just by being present there, but for some reason (tourism money) they advertise it as some great hedonistic city.

Don't like metropolitan areas in general, Jerusalem is the only real city here that is actually nice, there are all kinds of nice little towns and villages but most of our cities are concrete jungles.

That sucks. Was it a city before the 1940s, or is it a fake city like our Washington, D.C.?
Haifa looks nice t'bh. Wife is Jewish, so we might be going to Israel sometime in the next 5 years. It's nice to get lots of different perspectives, especially from natives. Thanks.

No, it was founded in the early 20th century.

Haifa has very little nice parts, it's not as repulsive as Tel Aviv but nothing special, also polluted.

UK, England in particular, is the most overrated country I’ve ever visited. Spent two summers in my teenage years in small coastal towns (Worthing in East Sussex and Lowestoft in East Anglia) in order to learn English. Complete shitholes full of uncultured, xenophobic and fat chavs, Soviet like buildings made of ugly bricks, terrible food (my host families are microwaved frozen shit and baked beans daily). But the worst was the people, rude and primitive as fuck. It was there also where I saw obese people casually driving scooters for the first time, „must be an Anglo/American thing“ I thought back then and I think I’m still right.

>Lowestoft in East Anglia
Were they inbreds?

why do pensioners fucking love it so much?

>rude and primitive as fuck
Well thats not true, anglos were very polite to me when I was there.

Pretty much, people were ugly as fuck there but on the other hand they also were in Worthing. I kinda have the feeling London is the only good place in the whole of England despite London being a multicultural shithole, but that’s probably because provintial Brits are scum.

>inb4 London

London is nice it's just that all the tourists just see the shitty tourist trap arras

Paris
Went there twice and it really is a stinky shithole, but not as bad as Marseille tb h
Still deserve all the hate though
Long gone is the Paris of the Belle Époque which people still talk about as it stayed the same

As if it stayed the same*

>Was it a city before the 1940s, or is it a fake city like our Washington, D.C.?

what are you trying to say?

D.C. exists to host the federally-administered capital city of Washington, which is itself only a city because we needed a neutral capital city that's outside of any state's jurisdiction. Washington, D.C. pretty much only exists to act as our nation's capital city.

I found Marseille beautiful in a "once marvelous city that has become post-apocalyptic" kinda sense.

Stockholm, Sweden.

Albania Tirana
Andorra Andorra la Vella
Austria Vienna
Belarus Minsk
Belgium Brussels
Bosnia and Herzegovina Sarajevo
Bulgaria Sofia
Croatia Zagreb
Cyprus Nicosia
Czech Republic Prague
Denmark Copenagen
Estonia Tallinn
Finland Helsinki
France Paris
Germany Berlin
Greece Athens
Hungary Budapest
Iceland Reykjaík
Ireland Dublin
Italy Italian
Kosovo Pristina
Latvia Riga
Liechtenstein Vaduz
Lithuania Vilnius
Luxembourg Luxembourg
Macedonia Skopje
Malta Valletta
Moldova Chisinau
Monaco Monaco
Montenegro Podgorica
Netherlands Amsterdam
Norway Oslo
Poland Warsaw
Portugal Lisbon
Romania Bucharest
Russia Moscow
San Marino San Marino
Serbia Belgrade
Slovakia Bratislava
Slovenia Ljubljana
Spain Madrid
Sweden Stockholm
Switzerland Bern
Ukraine Kiev
United Kingdom London
Vatican City Vatican City

Japan (Tokyo specifically). It was very clean but so stand-offish.

middle school english calsses make trips by the end of the year to eastbourne
i was there too, eastbourne was actually ok, i liked it there, but the city looked like brazil tier

denver

san francisco

too many koreans
too many homeless
bad weather
no parking
restaurants with terrible menus
it was a dirty city
they had billboards about wearing condoms so you dont get aids

Japan is boring as hell. People only like it because it's a discount version of their cities with a tad bit of foreign culture injected into it.

If you want a real fun, foreign experience visit SEAsia. It's a shithole but you can have a lot of fun if you get away from all the garbage tourist resorts.

But I guess it's hard to adjust if you come from first world standards.

buenos aires

- full of argentinians

San Fransisco was Zimbabwe tier when I visited it in 2013. You encountered derelict houses everywhere (often with fire damage as well), roads were in sub par condition in many places and in general much of the city had a kind of old and worn out look to it. Los Angeles (the part that I saw anyway) was what you expect what an Amerifat city to be like, it allowed me to partially recover from the trauma caused by San Francisco.

jesus cunt what do you like?

these

Edinburgh. Lots of Chinese tourists and stupid gift shops everywhere. The architecture and history was great, but Glasgow has most of the same. Except cheaper, with better food and fewer tourists.

>France, shitty weather and people

The French have always been super friendly whenever I have visited. Much better than any non-Latin country in Europe, for sure.

Bergen and Barcelona.

Bergen was just a rainy, foggy small town with good hiking trails.

Barcelona was a one huge theme park for drunken Brits and obnoxious French and Italian teenagers.

I'm poor, but Seville was kinda ''meh''. I wanted to see the Columbus tomb but the cathedral was closed for renovations. Left disappointed. Also, my parents and I forgot to go to the Plaza of Spain. So, yea, fuck that place

>once marvelous city that has become post-apocalyptic
That describes a lot of our small cities.

What were you expecting?

Toronto

Cities I was disappointed with:

Brussels: ugly and run down, unfriendly people, nothing to do.

Amsterdam: although it's beautiful it feels like a theme park full of the worst kinds of tourists, once the novelty of weed and hookers wears off so does much of it's charm.

Sydney: The harbour is truly stunning but after spending more than 24 hours in the city you start to remember why you don't live there. Draconian liquor and lockout laws, terrible nightlife, confusingly laid out streets clogged with traffic, and fucking expensive (although I live in Melbourne which isn't far behind in that regard).

Prague: Also a beautiful city full of fantastically preserved architecture, it was the people that let me down. Cold, rude and unhelpful in my experience.

Los Angeles

It's just suburbs that span the entire southern half of a state

Los Angeles/Greater Los Angeles area...Mexico City part 2

Aussies and Yanks are gregarious, which part of Europe will we find most welcoming/friendly?

How can someone be so consumed with travel yet so disdainful of so many destinations

Toronto is the ultimate meme

It maybe the most multicultural city I have ever been too, that being said it was VERY clean and looked good for a huge city.

Prague is really nice. I don't know if the Aussie guy just got unlucky with strangers he met, eastern/middle europeans might appear a bit 'cold and distant'.
Anyway, the city is beautiful and food is delicious, plentiful and cheap. Also beer costs nothing.

One of my favourite cities in Europe.

And in Amsterdam you have to wander a bit off from the station and the immediate coffee shops and shroom parlors, surely that's given? That's where all the tourists roam.

What about Norway, I wanna do a Bergen/Oslo train/boat trip this spring...any experience with Norwegians?

Bangkok. Not bad but not quite like I heard

Literally never once had a desire to visit that place
weaponised finnish autism

I've done a solo trip from Bergen and taken a train from there to Oslo on a whim. Bergen's nice if you're into outdoorsy stuff, I hiked maybe 20km slightly hangoverish with my vans, it was sobering and comfy experience.
They also have some good great seafood.

The train from Bergen to Oslo takes about 6 hours and goes through some really nice scenery, over 3500m from sea level at some points.

Oslo just felt like any northern capital, maybe on par with Helsinki. Stockholm is bigger and more impressive and Copenhagen has better architecture, if you're into that kind of thing.

Last summer, we did with three of my friends a two week roadtrip from Rovaniemi via Kiruna to Lofoten. Was pretty nice.
Lofoten is fantastic, but renting a car is a must. Also, it's not that expensive to rent a nice cabin if there's more than few to share the fee.
We drove from Lofoten to Tromsö and back via Kilpisjärvi.

And Norwegians are nice, maybe due to constant exposure to outdoorsy activities.
They also speak very good english.

Thanks for the reply, I got inspired a by a Bergen thread a couple weeks ago, Airfare is surprisingly cheapt o Norway with roundtrip tickets as low as 700-800$. What to expect from Norwegians? Are they pretty tourist friendly?

Yea, I'd believe so.
Are you looking for outdoorsy kind of things or just museums and other sights, since everything's quite seasonal here in the north, when it comes to mother nature.

what did you expect?

los angeles is just concentrated california

Paris
France itself is nice, namely Lyon, Strasbourg, Toulouse, Nice etc.. Paris and Parisians can get fucked though

Amsterdam is great it's just that most people only stay in the city centre.. which is like 10% of the city, De Pijp, Jordaan, Oud Zuid, nice areas that whilst a bit touristy, will still be more enjoyable.. basically just keep walking until you hear people actually speaking Dutch.

t. lived there for a few years.

Singapore

Venice, Pisa and Rome. I've travelled lots, and I guess I've grown weary of the tourist-trap atmosphere of those places. In comparison, I feel the three times I went to London were far more fulfilling.

England, generally. York was pretty bad.

I've found London and Paris to be a mixed bag, personally. Yes, they are exceedingly touristy, generally overpriced, and often crowded with undesirables, but I'm the type who likes to walk around in museums, and there's something about their layout and architecture that appeals to me.

This
I don't know why people come here for tourism.

The hell part of frisco did you go to? Bay view? It's a pretty small city area-wise, and I can't think of too many parts with fucked up roads and old burned out houses, even in 2013.

London. Clearly London. It's full of crumbling buildings even in the city centre, its pubs offer terrible food, famous landmarks like Piccadilly Circus or Buckingham Palace are disappointing, and everything is extremely expensive. I had hoped that the Britbongs had rebuilt some of the buildings that existed before the Great Fire, yet they prefer to watch old buildings crumble and build something new on top. The result is that a millenia-old city like London looks like a steampunk nightmare with some ultra-modern skyscrapers in the City. I liked Oxford much more.

New York City. Brooklyn was full of trust fund "artist" faggots and nu-male yuppies, plus Puerto Ricans, niggers, and more hasidic jews than you could fit in an ash can. Those guys were probably the worst - constantly on the phone while driving their Toyota Previas, covered in fucking dandruff, smelling like shit for wearing a full three piece wool suit in 105 degree heat, shifty whorefucking cokeheaded fucks.
Manhattan was pretty awful, too, just with way more chinks, more cops, everything was more expensive, and there were more tourists.

Queens bronx etc who fucking cares

> more hasidic jews than you could fit in an ash can

Stockholm. Was not worth the 9 hour drive. Shit city, shit people.

Been to about 35 or 40 countries.

Most overrated city:

Athens. Greece was the second country I ever visited. I expected Athens to be some sort of romantic, historical fantasy. Instead, it was a smog-filled shit-hole. Everything was grey and covered with graffiti. The Acropolis and Greek Museum were the only two decent places.

Most overrated country:

Costa Rica. Expensive as fuck, terrible food, passive locals. San Jose felt sketchy as fuck.

Nicaragua had just as much to do and cost maybe 10% as much. Locals were way more friendly and had better food. Felt slightly safer, but I was sure to steer clear of Managua.

I"m white and have lived in India for a while.

What's funny is that you never see the so-spiritual crowd hanging out with actual Indians. They just congregate in hostels and socialize with other travelers.

London.

You dont like Capitals ehh?

Is it overrated? I thought most people knew Athens was a shithole and generally visit Greece for the islands

It regularly features on lists of the most over-rated tourist destinations.

At any rate, I went there when I was 19. Flew into Istanbul. Liked the place, but thought Athens was going to be the show-stealer.

How fucking wrong I was.

Paris or London

All cities are overrated, they are pretty much entirely the same.

England is the most awful country I have ever been to though

>What's funny is that you never see the so-spiritual crowd hanging out with actual Indians. They just congregate in hostels and socialize with other travelers.

ofc not, they know deep down that interacting with the real India will burst their bubble.

It reminds me of a friend of mine that went with his gf to india and just roamed around to experience the true India. Had a blast hearing him tell about how many time he and her would just break down and cry because of how shitty India is and how not spiritual and how mean Indians are.

Oi watch it m8