Irish Potato Famine

>Impact on demographics Population fell by
20–25% due to mortality and emigration

Was there no other foods besides potatoes? The whole thing makes no sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)#Causes_and_contributing_factors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Starve to death when you're surrounded by fish

we're talking small family sized farms who barely produced enough to live when things were going well, and definitely didn't have much put aside. you don't just change crops or substitute X% of diet by snapping your fingers.

also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)#Causes_and_contributing_factors

> 20–25% due to mortality AND emigration
it's fucking nothing

>Surrounded by fish
>still starve

This is usually the first question - why didn't they just go fishing? Not many Irish knew how to sail back then, though. Boats were a luxury item. And the ocean near much of Ireland is often very rough, so you can't (usually) just take a small canoe out to sea like in the Mediterranean.

>it's fucking nothing
>Total deaths 1 million

>Ja dat ist fucking nozting. You zhould have zeen Germany during ze world wars

when it includes migration how much is it, 10%?
not really that big of an issue, even as far as famines go Holodomor and Kazakh famine were larger, % wise and overall in numbers

>20–25% due to mortality and emigration
We got thoroughly BTFO. I live in one of the dark red areas. Mass graves and abandoned villages are everywhere. Farmers often dig up skeletons when they're ploughing their fields because people weren't buried properly.

>Was there no other foods besides potatoes?
There was but the Anglos took it all. Most land was owned by Anglos, Irish farmers usually were allowed grow potatoes on a small patch of the landlord's land in exchange for working the landlord's fields.

Where is a starving peasant going to get a fishing boat, let alone the industry required to preserve and distribute enough to feed an entire country.

How many deaths were included in the migration figures? Really user?

>be irish
>have 8+ million people on an island smaller than iceland fed solely by potato
>think this is in any way remotely sustainable

The UK isn't known for competent governance

famine also means diseases

over half our population emigrated after the famine. In rural areas it was even more, where I'm from the population fell by like 80%

Potatoes were the only staple crop they could grow in the little fields left over that your cronies didn't control.

The English potato famine was a man-made disaster like Holodomor.

Considering how little UK did to repair Ireland, Northern Ireland is the most cucked nation on earth.

Quote from H.G. Wells's "The Outline of History"

"Irish agriculture was allowed to devolve into little more than the growing of potatoes and the feeding of pigs. Aside from drinking and a little fighting, there was little else to do but fornication. The results were alarming. Ireland's population climbed from around 3 million in 1800 to nearly 8 million by 1840. At which point the weary potato collapsed under its burden and there was a frightful famine."

>be Irish
>flee famine
>get drafted
Must've been rough.

>Not pointing their guns at the people shooting them
God damn it, can the Irish do ANYTHING right?

Those were all volunteers. There were never all that many conscripts in the Civil War and the draft met with major resistance.

>defect to Mexico
>lose war
>Get hanged

It was a wild ride

Why Anglos treated you so bad? You are not some African niggers or pajeets, you are white people.

Haven't you heard, the Irish are the niggers of Europe.

>you are white people

Well their GDP per capita as big as yours, and they don't have oil money. So why are their niggers, exactly?

>how little UK did

Citizens raised hundred of thousands of pounds.
They repealed the corn laws to allow cheaper imports from the US.

The Irish famine is a story of laissez faire capitalism.

Well, it's genetic, innit?

Why would a Russian of all people bring up GDP per capita as a measurment of how white or good a people are?

ACW soldiers in general were lousy shots; training of soldiers was minimal compared to European armies. No drills or live ammunition and very few of them mastered how to use the sights on a rifle. It was just like aim in the general direction of the enemy and fire. In theory, rifled muskets should have allowed long-range combat but fighting was mostly just Napoleonic tactics where you get in at close range and fire volleys.

difference of religion

Muh religions

We're Catholic, also they though Celtic peoples were subhuman.

The man in charge of relief works wanted to clear Ireland and Scotland to replace the people with German settlers.

Because I thought calling someone a niggers of x here on int doesn't mean that this nation are literally the blackest people of x, but it means that these people are the most poor/uneducated/uncivilized of x. I can't understand why Irish are called niggers.

it's true though
it's a very modern thing to downplay how important it was back then

Ireland is rich and First World today but as late as the 1950s it was impoverished.

Ireland became very rich and developed after independence, but when we were ruled by England it was like Africa.

So was Norway, but no one are calling them niggers.

theyre not white.

What are they? Red?

true we are GAELS and not wh*Te

There was other food, it was exported under guard though. Irish Catholics had fuck all land too due to penal laws so they had to grow potatoes since they were the most calorie dense per square metre of land food to grow. Once the crops failed, it was natural they would go hungry. Fuck all aid was given and they didn't budge with the exportation of food despite emergency. This was basically because the Irish were hated for being Catholic.

The judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson, that calamity must not be too much mitigated. …The real evil with which we have to contend is not the physical evil of the Famine, but the moral evil of the selfish, perverse and turbulent character of the people.
-Trevelyan

There was a specific variety of potato they grew in Ireland that produced high yields but it was watery and had low nutritional value. A black mold disease (I think that's what it was?) struck them and obliterated the entire crop overnight.

maybe the potatoes were inbred and got to fucked up? happens with vegetables as well

From the British perspective, the Irish were a people to be conquered. Ireland didn't exist as a country until 1922.
Norway, in contrast, began unifying in 872AD. Which makes it the oldest continuously existing nation in Europe.

>you are white people.
Not acording to the british people of that period.

In colonial america you could legally breed an irish girl with a negro to get a mulatto slave that was worth a lot more on the slave market because of it's lighter skin

wasn't norway a danish territory at some point way after 872?

i do not think it was to this extent

I'm not going to swear over it because I can't be arsed to post look for proof but I was reading an article on the history of miscegenation laws in what's currently USA and I stumbled on an excerpts that said precisely that.

If it was someone's perverted cuckold fetishism kicking in I'd say he did it in a pretty elaborate and stealthy way.

what i mean is that the things that happened were always or almost always justified on religious grounds.
i'm not saying it would've been heaven on earth, but if we hadn't been divided by religion i just don't see it being as bitter.

>oldest continuously existing nation in Europe.
isnt that San Marino

The Norwegian royal family went extinct in the late Middle Ages and Norway was ruled by Denmark for 400 years, then another 100 as part of Sweden and independence came at last at the dawn of the 20th century.

green

>Which makes it the oldest continuously existing nation in Europe.

try again sweetie that's the USA

so much for being the oldest continuously existing nation in Europe

>Mass graves and abandoned villages are everywhere. Farmers often dig up skeletons when they're ploughing their fields because people weren't buried properly.
lies

I've heard this meme before and don't believe it, most Irish were indentured servants, breeding one with a negro would result in a freeborn negro, not a slave. That's where a significant portion of the free-born black population originated, with white mothers, usually along the Carolina or Virginia frontiers especially before the 18th century

wrong, Norwegians are niggers

Were slaveowners bastards free?

I imagine it differed based on if the mother or the father was the slave

The judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson.

>or the father was the slave
just fucking imagine the terror a rich plantation owner family experienced when it turned out young mademoiselle Susan, heir to the family wealth got BLACKED and didnt' tell anyone

kek