How long will it take for English to take over as the sole language of the planet...

How long will it take for English to take over as the sole language of the planet? I just don't see a scenario where other languages survive

Esperanto will eventually win
Or google translator with 100000 iq AI

*Chinese and Spanish

Yeah no. No one outside of China really knows Chinese

No one outside of Europe and Latin America speaks Spanish

Chineese will definitely survive. I'll be not a surprise for me if arabic or some asian language will overtake english once.

Ok, you have native English speaking countries on every single continent in the world, and the spread of English has coincided with British colonialism, American mass media and now the internet.

You could drop an Anglo off in the middle of anywhere in the world, and at least one person around them will know English. Can't say that about Chinese or Spanish - do that in America and see how far a Chink or Spic will get not knowing English

Well, French had been the dominating language for many years too. You can't predict everything.

>people think there will be anyone left in 100+ years

But not on the level of English

The average peasant in Zimbabwe knows English. In the middle ages when French was the lingua franca, it was only restricted to the educated elite

我言中国語

Stop this meme now

我学习普通话

I give it 60 years minimum

there is only one language: the human language

I dunno, I've traveled abroad and its sorta hard just to speak English only. A lot of pointing.

我也说中文!

>the human language
So.. violence then? Yep. Good old fashion death and despair.

import Sup Forums
reply = Sup Forums.writereplies
reply("hmm... no, sweetie.")

.file 1 ""
.section .mdebug.abi32
.previous
.nan legacy
.module fp=32
.module nooddspreg
.abicalls
.section .rodata.str1.4,"aMS",@progbits,1
.align 2
$LC0:
.ascii "No, Sweetie. \000"
.section .text.startup,"ax",@progbits
.align 2
.globl main
.set nomips16
.set nomicromips
.ent main
.type main, @function
main:
.frame $sp,32,$31 # vars= 0, regs= 1/0, args= 16, gp= 8
.mask 0x80000000,-4
.fmask 0x00000000,0
.set noreorder
.cpload $25
.set nomacro
lw $4,%got($LC0)($28)
addiu $sp,$sp,-32
lw $25,%call16(puts)($28)
sw $31,28($sp)
.cprestore 16
movz $31,$31,$0
.reloc 1f,R_MIPS_JALR,puts
1: jalr $25
addiu $4,$4,%lo($LC0)

lw $31,28($sp)
move $2,$0
j $31
addiu $sp,$sp,32

.set macro
.set reorder
.end main
.size main, .-main
.ident "GCC: (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.1) 5.4.0 20160609"

This.

You overestimate the level of English of third worlders. Even officials might know no more than singular sentences. Languages like Russian, Spanish, France or Swahili can serve you much better on more regional level.

I experienced some pretty tense situations as a tourist in Uzbekistan thanks to language barrier. In one instance in customs I met some doofus, whose english language skills seemed to begin and end with the sentence "Mani dollar on the table".