Your Descendants

What do you cunts from the UK think of your descendants? Specifically Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians, although Canadians are pretty French and basically pseudo seppos so we can ignore them if we want.

Do you see them as British, perhaps more defined than that as English, Scottish etc. or as newer groups that are or aren't British? Do the English think of colonial Anglos differently to the Scottish and Welsh or vice versa?

I think Kiwis (Aussies close second) are the closest to Brits culturally. Canadians are much more like Americans.

I consider all English-speaking countries (LOS included) to be an offshoot of British culture personally, but recognise that the feeling within those countries is usually that of a seperate culture. True blue Aussies / republicans etc don't like to be referred to as "British" which I understand and respect.

You're pretty spot on. Kiwis are a tad more British culturally than Aussies and I think that's got to do with NZ's environment being more physically similar to the UK on top of Australia having much more Irish descent. NZ also has a more distinct split between English and Scottish areas. Particularly in the south where Otago/Southland are more Scottish compared to Canterbury which is more English. Australia comparatively has melded all the British ethnicities and the only area that leans towards a distinct type of British is Adelaide, with more English free settlers founding it. Although Adelaide got a lot of Prussians/Germans later on, so it's also one of the more German areas.

>Canadians are pretty French
Only in Quebec. The rest of us are mostly Scottish, Irish, or English in descent. Lots of Germans and Scandis in the western provinces too.

>Go to Aus
>It's all Americanised to shit
>Go to NZ
>It's all Englified to shit

only ever met one aussie and he was mental
saffers are chill though imo

Don't they bully you into speaking their language though?
Non-English I take it? Are the differences between so exaggerated to outside eyes?
I don't know what to say about Saffers. I've only met one all my life but he didn't seem very British.

>mfw 100K frenchies in Australia

I'm English, and yes.

Interesting. I see NZ leaning more American in some aspects by my own recognition, though still I'd say they're more British than Aussies. Historically I think there's more parallels like missionaries playing a larger role in founding the place and the land wars with Maori being roughly analogous to the American settlers and their bouts with the Amerindians. I've heard laws on business are more "American" or free market over there as well. They're also closer to the US in regards to gun access.

I've met one of them, although ethnically he was entirely Chinese despite the fact he spoke and identified as French.

sure he wasn't Vietnamese? I pissed off some Franco-Vietnamese magician in France once

Are you sure he was not a viet or a cambodian ?

>Don't they bully you into speaking their language though?

I hear most people out in the western provinces don't really think about Quebec much, and there's only a few scattered Francophone communities there. The Maritimes, while interesting, are mostly irrelevant, and Ontario is mostly Anglo

Definitely Chinese, he told me so himself. I think he was born in France as he spoke Chinese, French and English. He had a French name or what might have been a butchered one. His name was Ulysse but I think that's meant to be Ulysses. No one had time for that shit though so we all called him "Useless" instead.

I have to wonder why they don't just cut Quebec loose? I thought they wanted independence and it appears the rest of Canada doesn't care too much for them.

The irish are the closest thing to brits culturally with some minor differences

Same dark terraced housing, same food, same drinking habits, same drug problems, Tescos, same pubs, same obsession with British football (liverpool, celtic etc).

POWERGAP

Aussies/Kiwis/British South Africans

MAJOR POWERGAP

Americans and Canadians that are the same thing when you compare with states south of the border

I see Aussies and Kiwis as basically just Brits who live the other side of the planet desu, you're not really foreign.

Canadians are basically just yanks though.

no the majority, albeit there's still a lot of Anglophones in Montreal and in the southern townships, voted against independence. If a majority voted for it, I couldn't see Canada blocking them, especially if they used legal channels unlike the Catalonian debacle

I don't know what would happen to the Maritimes though, be a weird, split border and some French parts of New Brunswick may want to be with Quebec or something

We're quite similar Dutchlad desu

we are in some ways, but still nothing like the same as with the Irish or colonies

Aussies are our cunts desu bit too American though
This desu

Tbh you should be added to that next to Australia

yea, we say Ulysse.
>we all called him Useless
kek, rude

Nah

Take it from someone who has been to both countries, we are nothing alike.

Brexit is just one such example, people are chill here.

Leave this thread and never come back

I love tea XD

Strange to think that Canada managed to incorporate Quebec with a sizeable French population when NZ went it's own way for a much smaller Maori population. I suppose it's more to do with the sea between than anything else.

Yeah I guess it was but I don't remember people in high school being very polite to anybody.

I haven't met any Dutch but I've heard the language is meant to be very close to English, whether that infers cultural similarity or not I don't know.

OP seems like a nice guy who like to learn :)

>I haven't met any Dutch but I've heard the language is meant to be very close to English, whether that infers cultural similarity or not I don't know.
We have a very similar language. Dutch from a distance sounds like somebody speaking English underwater. Kind of confusing.
There are some cultural similarities (same type of capitalism, similar history, protestant) but also some differences - Dutch people tend to be much more direct than Brits who beat around the bush.

They are probably the most similar of mainland nations though.

My great grandma was British and I quite enjoy some Doctor Who do u reckon I'm British?

Ever wondered why the Amish call you English?

Cheers mate, have a (You)

Yeah they did get pretty far with their Navy. They didn't seem to do much more than just find places though.

I think of Americans as Anglos despite census data indicating that most of you are German/Irish, I'd wager most of you have English or Scottish ancestry anyhow and that it's just overshadowed by the more newly arrived ancestry as well as American identity being more removed from British identity than other Anglos are. Irish isn't that different anyhow despite how many Irish I met upset by saying that and Germans are also pretty similar for what it's worth. You yanks definitely have your own way of doing things though.

>They are probably the most similar of mainland nations though.
o-okay

america is a cultureless wasteland

You are catholic and can be quite.. latin in mindset etc.

Luv u too hun xx

I'm half Portuguese half Scottish. Will the Anglos hate me ?

I am a celt
(and most of us are just edgy atheists or agnostics)

no

Bretange? That's the exception as opposed to the rule imo

No, we love you. Please come and fish our cod.

>hating a Portuguese

That being said sc*tts are subhuman

How come we didn't get the accent? SO many white americans think they are irish, truth is they're mostly english descent. But we're not like british people at all really. To me an anglo australian is way more "british"

Why did you all of you colonials develop separate national identities anyway?

Yanks are made up of whigs
Whigs were northerners
Northerns have a high pitch voice
Yanks have a high pitch voice

Noice.

Environment, distance and muh civil nationalism memes

I heard an accent shift took place in the UK after 1776. The American accent isn't massively far off of Northern or Scottish accents. But I think the Received Pronunciation come around fairly recently and Australian came about from people from all over the UK being forced together due to being prisoners without the privilege to freely associate with their own, thus all the extremities of each accent mellowed out and came to a middle ground.

I'd say environment and the tyranny of distance eventually making it too long and drawn out to rely on London to administrate us.

Nah Aussies are just workingclass brits
Much like your culture

>distance
Do you guys think that states of the core Anglosphere like Australia and New Zealand would've kept their association to the UK if the remnants of the British empire held out until the advent of new technologies that would've eased the effects of the distance?

Big fan of the Australians and Kiwis. Culture's almost identical for the most part. Don't really see them as foreign. Canadians are a bit more hit-and-miss. They're closer to Americans than anything, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

do germans think anything about namibia

Only when we are apologizing for another genocide.

I didn't learn a thing about Germany's colonial history in school and I'm pretty sure that 80% of all Germans don't even know that we even had a colonial empire in places like Africa, albeit small.

As part of a surviving British empire? Not unless history played out differently. Australians in particular but also Kiwis started to drift more from the UK after WWI. Gallipoli is huge over here and is generally seen as a major blunder on the part of the British that cost more Australian and Kiwi lives purely because of poor planning. WWII overtaxed Britain and the US came to our aid against the Japanese when Britain quite frankly couldn't. Churchill gets most of the blame I think for souring the relations around that period. I think it was to do with him wanting more Australians and Kiwis in Europe despite the advancing Japanese.

They still have their association with the UK though they're just not administrated by the same government or treated as British subjects anymore.

...gaulish :^)
But I have some breton ancestors

This is true, but even 20 years ago the number of people who described themselves as "British" as opposed to "Australian" was huge.. although this might also be 10 pound poms integrating tbf.