Americans

Americans.
I have a question for you.

I wondered this since childhood. How did you grow up: Were you convinced of your superiority since childhood?

Were you aware that other nations exist which are relevant too or did you literally think that you are all that matters and all others are uncivilized barbarians?

Why do I ask this? I am aware that your nation is very powerful, you are basically Rome for fucks sake and at least half of the planet consumes your movies, entertainment etc... so we were very aware of your existence since very early.

But were you also aware of our existence? Do you see non-Americans as inferior?

And sorry if this sounded too aggressive. I definitely didn't want to insult you. I don't want to troll.

I am just curious. It is unfathomable to me that half of the planet would consume German stuff, so I am really curious.

I don't think you are bad or good. I am 100% neutral.

1 i grew up in china
2 foreigners are default barbarians
3 yes, no, even i was very young i knew while adults pretend they don't like foreigner but they love the attention, but this was long long time ago when the mainland was trying to sell assets to foreigners for the first time

sry if i am not proper american for you

For reference I was born in 1985. As a child I never really thought about other countries. I was hardly aware of them. It's very easy for Americans to be ignorant . We can go about our lives and rarely have to contemplate the well-being of other nations. The majority of Americans have not and will never leave the country. They don't have jobs where they have to communicate with foreigners. In school I was only taught(and usually perfunctorily) about countries that have had some considerable historical impact on the US(not much on Vietnam though). So for example I learned about England from the Anglo-Saxons up to the American Revolution, then a gap until 1812, then a gap until WWI.

If you consume our entertainment then you know how deep American exceptionalism can run. One memory that sticks with me that has made me more self-conscious is thinking during 9/11, "This isn't supposed to happen to over here".

The most egregious instance of me thinking we were just plain better than anyone else was The Dream Team dominating the 1992 Olympics basketball. The hype was real. Now I cringe when people do the USA chant. I don't see "non-Americans" as inferior. You'd have to be more specific.

No, I was never convinced of being superior, yes and yes they were relevant, no I don't see non Americans as inferior. I am younger however and a lot of my life Americans held a lower opinion of themselves compared to the rest of the world. I believe China and our neighbors are the first nations I learned about and I watched English programs on television at a very young age. So, I hope that answers your questions.

didn't care lol
the whole world is america

I mean it was kinda just a default background knowledge that America was the best/leading country in the world. Didn't think we were superior per say and I respected other countries/cultures (civilized ones at least) but never once wished I was born somewhere else or was jealous of some other nation.

Today I would be perfectly content with living/working in Europe, Canada, Japan, or Aus/NZ, wherever but wouldn't, primarily because of the language barriers and also having to uproot my whole life for little reason. The US is so large/diverse you could spend your whole life here and never be bored and always find new places to visit and new things to do.

While I like and respect some other counties/cultures I can only say I'm glad to be American.

Finally a good post from int

>Were you convinced of your superiority since childhood?
My parents immigrated from South Korea so they always praised America being land of opportunity and no where else in the world can have such freedom and safety. I grew out of this when I was in my teens and realized US is not perfect. In many schools, especially in elementary we are usually taught to be accepting to other races, cultures. There’d be things like International Day, where kids dress up in their heritage clothes or bring food from their country.

>Were you aware that other nations exist which are relevant too or did you literally think that you are all that matters and all others are uncivilized barbarians? But were you also aware of our existence? Do you see non-Americans as inferior?
We know about other major countries like Canada, Mexico, China, Japan, UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, NZ, Vietnam, Korea, Russia, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc(these are some countries I expect everyone in America should know even if they’re retarded)
Basically any country we learned in history, were involved in, had an impact in us, or are important on a global scale today. That usually applies to the average American but again if you’re not retarded or keep up with news then you probably know the relevance of other countries. No we do not see others as barbarians except maybe Africans.

>Were you convinced of your superiority since childhood?
nope, we aren't taught at all that we're superior because we don't talk about other people at people at all. for all we know, nobody else exists, so there is no superior or inferior relationship.

History teachers tend to be rather bland growing up, all I remember was in 8th grade we learned about manifest destiny, Native American extermination. Then high school it was revolution, Britcucks getting BTFO. More Native American extermination. Civil War, rich slave owners getting BTFO, World War One was justified, World War Two and the holocaust, Communism and the great leap forward. Nixons a cunt, JFK goes down, daddy Bush starts a war, little info on Clinton, little Bush continues daddies war but at the time he was our President so not much other than that was said, than first black President Obama saving the economy. That was history class for me in a nutshell. We weren't taught anything about being superior, just that America kicked off at the right time and place. And that everybody else was nonexistent, didn't know Canada was a thing until 9th grade.

>And sorry if this sounded too aggressive. I definitely didn't want to insult you
Wow, you need to grow some balls.

He was just being polite, something rare on a board where half of the population is LARPing

His post was polite enough even without that part. Now it looks like he's scared to hurt someone's feelings.

When I was a kid I was doing kid stuff, not thinking about what goes on halfway across the world like wtf lol

I feels like that sometimes to be honest.

Eh, I did grow up with the belief that I lived in the greatest country in the world, and much of that was reinforced by the fact that my mother’s grandparents were incredibly lucky to have been able to immigrate here during WW2 and had children who grew up to lead very successful lives. However I wasn’t unaware of other countries existence, nor looked down upon them. I just didn’t think about the world outside the US much until the Internet because most of my experience with media was from the US.

Japan and the U.K. are the only countries which had a significant outside media presence here with music and video games.

>How did you grow up: Were you convinced of your superiority since childhood?
Bengali here, parents came to this country, worked hard, etc etc now we have an average everyday life. My parents never really forced their traditions on me but they always told me to avoid white women for some reason. Don't know why, I don't listen to it.

>Were you aware that other nations exist which are relevant too or did you literally think that you are all that matters and all others are uncivilized barbarians?
I never really think too much outside of America. I generally don't see people as uncivilized unless its terrorists or something.

we're self-consciously aware of how powerful and widespread our culture is, to the point where it seems that other cultures are unimportant or quaint. we're raised to believe in the unique freedoms and democracy of our country, and that our political and economic system is superior to any other, though a lot of younger people don't really believe in that so much (i never really did). we don't believe that other people are 'uncivilized barbarians' tho (unless we're talking about the middle east) after all we all came from somewhere else.

kys

tl;dr