Why do people consider French a more major language than Portuguese when Portuguese has more native speakers?

Why do people consider French a more major language than Portuguese when Portuguese has more native speakers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/regular
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/conversation
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/use
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/agree
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/grammar
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/determine
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/language
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/classification
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/origin
fifa.com/
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d'organisations_internationales_ayant_le_français_comme_langue_officielle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because history
France was the very first global lingua franca

That’s cool - we have English now though

We don't eat monkey soup
Therefore we are superior

French was the lingua franca for much of modernity.

English is 80% Romance so.

Prestige and trade.

But with all things being equal, Portuguese has 250 million Native speaks and French only has 85 million Native speakers

How would you rank the Romance languages by relevance?

I’d go

Spanish
Portuguese
Italian
French
Romanian
Meme languages like Catalan and Occitan
Then actual Latin

Umm no sweetie it's germanic

because we, all the French learners, are trying to get massive quantities of pussy, that's why

1-Spanish
2-French
3-Italian
4-Romanian
5-Portuguese

1-Latin if you are Asian or arab native speaker and want to learn european languages
[...]

1-Catalan if you are Spanish and live in Catalonia
[...]

>le 26% language

Where’s English?

How is Portuguese below Romanian?

He's being chauvinistic and shitting on his neighbouring rectangle

Because if you already know Spanish, Italian and French learning Portuguese is easy cake
Also monkeys don't count

Now I just figured out how a Spic was always the highest grade in all my french classes in HS

CHIIIII

From one romance language to another is easy to adapt

Nobody speaks italian anymore. My dad tried to teach me it but i didnt learn much. it will die soon especially with the demographics of italy

Wasn’t Portuguese the spoken language for the early explorers into Asia and the Americas?

The first weeaboos were Portuguese

70% of the spics in my Spanish classes got bad grades - >90% of the Mexicans. It's when I realized they're subhuman

Because muh lingua franca but in reality we're irrelevant and no one speaks french since 100+ years

they still speak it down in louisiana its hilarious. They swear to god they will never lose it.

Isnt french is by far the hardest for other romance speakers to adapt to

Brazilians are subhumans.

Because there's more to read in French

Well French is the white language and Portuguese isn’t

Probably but we are talking about the global language in which book were written in france if you wanto to present at the world an invention, litterature or diplomacy
For all the medieval Europe for example the language spoken between the various kingdom was Latin but it never reach the global stage

doesn't really matter when basically everyone spoke French as a second language
Same reason English is more relevant today than Chinese

he's wrong, brazilians are not even remotely humans

Because for most of history French had way more speakers than languages such as Spanish or Portuguese, for example in the year 1500 A.D. the Kingdom of France had a population of 15 million people while Crown of Castile+Crown of Aragon had 8 million and the Portuguese Empire had only 3 million

For the same reason that German is more major than Indonesian even though Indonesian has more native speakers

This is me. Am I white?

Anyway, Brazilians are indeed monkey subhumans. I saw 3 of them at my conference in Miami last week. Short little brown turds. They were more handsome and human looking than Mexicans, however.

Spanish
French
Portuguese
Italian
Romanian
Catalan
Some other regional Romance languages
Actual Latin
Memes like Haitian Creole

fui a madrid el año pasado y lo unico que vi por la calle fue marroquies, gitanos, y negros de guinea ecuatorial

wena papi

Czech'd

I taken 3 years of french at middle school and I remember it was actually a really easy language to learn compare to english, nowadays I lost the ability to speak french due to inactivity.
As for spanish I can't say much since I never studied that language

Te vas a encontrar lo mismo en todas las capitales de Europa

Is that a Red Nexus 5?

Because French still remains a more influential language than Portuguese even though the latter has more native speakers. French is still a main language in diplomacy, commerce, and in many international organisations while Portuguese remains confined to mainly two countries

In Europe surprisingly the rank would be:
1)French
2)Italian
3)Spanish
4)Portuguese
5)Romanian
Both by prestige and population

se ve que anduve por zonas mas lindas entonces porque ni sumando Roma y Berlin vi tanto "subhumano" junto

Yes. I had it until the screen broke.

By far one of the phone I ever had, maybe the only cons was the battery

I loved it. I wish google continued the Nexus line instead of moving to the Pixel.

Portuguese is basically retarded Spanish while French is its own thing

>overall vocabulary

Irrelevant when English has over 3 million words.

Now try having a regular conversation without using any French word. I agree that the grammar is what deterline the language classification but the origin of the most used words are meaningless.

Same
That's why I moved to One Plus,
Pixel is a quality phone but the price it's too high for me

80% this

Yeah but nobody speak only using junction words

56% this

Name one word in the post you just made that had a French word in it and post proof of its origin

How is Italian further from Spanish than French is?

Italian and spanish look almost like the same language

Not him but:
Regular
Conversation
Using
French
Grammar
Determine(not sure if it's a typo)
Language
Classification
Origin
Used
That's all I don't have time to search the root but you can find for yourself on etymology online or other sites

Italian and French are closer than Italian and Spanish
Italian and French sharing ~90% of vocabulary while Italian Spanish ~80%
But the way you pronunxe word is similiar in Italian and Spanish than French

Regular
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/regular
Conversation
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/conversation
Using
Agree
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/agree
Grammar
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/grammar
Determine
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/determine
Language
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/language
Classification
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/classification
Origin
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/origin
Used

Here you go my dude

French has a longer history of being a court language across Europe, and embedded into so many other forms of culture like cuisine, literature, cinema, and such. Portuguese is only so high up because it's Brazilians.

i asked for one with proof, not a dozen without. sorry you failed
same as above, wikipedia isn't proof

If only Frnace had a big country that spoke its language aside from itself

English has the USA
Spanish has Mexico
Portuguese has Brazil

They have half of africa but meh

Are you a burger in vacation by any chance ?

Well, French isn't a first language. In fact, Portuguese is more of a first language in Africa than French. 85% of Angola and 75% of Mozambique speak Portuguese as a first language

Many west africans use french as their lingua franca between them

But French is the lingua franca inside and between those African countries, and French is the one used in any scientific, financial, politic, or comlerce fields, not their native tongues.

Well counting L2 speakers, French has 274 million speakers and Portuguese has 250 million speakers

I don't get the differentiation between first and second language speakers

Canada
English is clearly the language spoken by inferior white trash, asians and negros in Canada

>I don't get the differentiation between first and second language speakers
Say you are Mexican, and you hop the border over to the US. You suddenly have to speak English all the time. You are an English second language speaker, because people all around you speak English, but it's not your native language.
It's thus a very important differentiation, because it means you aren't as good at English as the people around you, because it isn't your native language

Congo?

But it's not?

But Brazil is more relevant and powerful than any French speaking country

A number of international institutions still conduct day to day business in French only

Union make strenght, otherwise Chinese would be the global language and not English

Portuguese is the language of international football though

Uh, sweaty xxxxx

sopa de macaco uma delicia

and then by 1800 A.D. the First French Republic had around 27 million people, the European part of the Spanish Empire had 11 million and the European part of the Portuguese Empire had 3 million

>Portuguese is the language of international football though
the FIFA website is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Arabic, besides, a lot of webpages are also available in Russian, but not in Portuguese fifa.com/

>FIFA has four official languages: German, English, Spanish and French

>The Laws of the Game are issued by FIFA in the official languages of English, French, Spanish and German. Thousands of copies are made available to all member associations of FIFA and may be requested from FIFA House in Zurich. The text is widely published, without copyright charge, throughout the world, also in many other languages.
>On behalf of the International Football Association Board, FIFA publishes the
Laws of the Game in English, French, German and Spanish. If there is any
divergence in the wording, the English text is authoritative

>in French only
no they do not

how will brazil ever recover?

this.

Also because France alone has a stronger economy than all potuguese-speaking nations put together, which is absurd considering what could be, with giants such as Brazil or Angola having a "culutural foothold" in Europe via Portugal, the luso-sphere should be unstoppable.
The day they stop losing half their output to corruption, they may actually achieve it.

most Indonesians speak Indonesian as a second language

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d'organisations_internationales_ayant_le_français_comme_langue_officielle

> mfw the International Federation of Wine and Spirits Journalists and Writers has for exclusive official language French

you can't make this shit up, this is better than any meme

we are not balkan though

This tree is a crap. Dalmatian was in the same group as standard italian. Even modern dalmatian croat has a lot of romance loanwords

This but romanian above french

Muy goblino

How does Sardinian and Dalmatian sound?

r*găţenii sunt balkanieni tho

I can. Having an everyday talk with someone without speaking any french word is easier than you think. Even if one does say a word that has come from French while talking with somebody else, that doesn't make English a mostly Latin tongue. By that way of thinking, ALL other tongues are much Latin.

lads

yea but IIRC, back then, French was only spoken by the elite and people who lived near Paris and Versailles. The rest of the population spoke patois or other languages.

>it doesn't work if I don't like it

...does Québec/Canada count ? :^)

Cuz we're the only latins to have nuclear weapon and a permanent sit in the UN Security Council

Québec and New Brunswick are geographically large but don't have many people compared to USA, Mexico, or Brazil

There are more French speakers in the world than Portuguese, just not native speakers