/éire/

Irish sentai edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English
youtu.be/5bHimOJb-Xw
youtube.com/watch?v=5bHimOJb-Xw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

/éire/ has been getting awfully /marbh/ lately. I'm beginning to wonder if this was the Skype cabal's plan all along.

We're just having terrible timing with posters not being around for various reasons.

Bit a nut and broke half my front tooth.

I hope that's an exaggeration.

>exaggeration
o-ok yeah a bit
Its just a third of my left incisor.

Anything related to teeth being damaged makes me really uncomfortable. It's like second-pain.

*second-hand pain

>watching Magus Bride
>Faeries of Tír na nÓg show up
>in fucking England of all places
>japs tip toe about Irish shit all the time
>don't make a anime based in Ireland

What are you lot up to tonight?

>playing Xenoblade 2
>characters with Irish names appear
>all speak with heavy Scottish accents
>manage to correctly pronounce almost all of the names without bastardising the spellings

Oh shit lads The Santa Clause is on.

>111
nice

>my sister and her family are spending Christmas at my parents house
Well, there go my plans to go home for Christmas.

Why don't you go too?

Pics

In fairness her husband did just get back from Mali.

Is he a soldier? Is he the guy from yesterday's show?

Ireland doesn't have troops in Mali. That's you lads.

My bad, I thought the UN sent some peacekeepers there

>Ireland doesn't have troops in Mali
We don't? But wasn't that lad last last over there training?

Anyone else /comfy/ here?

/Here/

visited Charles Darwin's home and am wrecked from the walking.

What are the plans for Christmas?

I have no plans as of today. Christmas alone 2.0 by the looks of things.

Fly home
Eat lots of food
Meet everyone I haven't seen in a year on St Stephens night
Move to Hong Kong after

What about New year's Eve?

You can still show up and be an utter annoyance to your sister.
I know you want it

I never do anything for New Year's.

I wouldn't want to ruin Christmas for my parents.

You want it ,stop lying
Sounds nice,what are you doing in Hong Kong?

Working, hopefully. Have a 1 year visa. Just need a job now.

I never do anything either desu I usually just end up drinking on my on and getting drunk

Anything in mind?
You are missing out

In my experience, New Year's isn't that big a deal outside of Paris over there anyway.

Christmas at home as usual. Still have no idea in the way of gifts, should probably scout around in town someday soon.

>Christmas alone 2.0
2 years in total isn't bad. I expected you to have more.

>I wouldn't want to ruin Christmas for my parents.
Would they not prefer it if you were there? I'm not saying you should suffer through having to be there but I don't think it's right to say you not being there is for their benefit instead of your own.

Did you post here before months ago?

I don't have friends to go out with anyway

It is a big deal I believe, people meet their friends and party all night long

Sounds comfy,anything in mind?
I'm sure that there is someone you could go out with

>2 years in total isn't bad
It's technically my fourth, but it's my second in a row.

>I don't think it's right to say you not being there is for their benefit instead of your own.
But it's what I want. I want them to enjoy Christmas and I don't want to have to endure the awkwardness of meeting my sister's husband for the first time (amongst other things).

>people meet their friends and party all night long
Weird, everybody I talked to in France on the subject of New Year's told me that I wasn't missing much.

Something in my field (business related) with a bit of luck. About half the jobs require Cantonese unfortunately.

I've posted in this general since 2014 but I haven't much since the reboot/revival

Well if they don't want to meet you,I'm sure that they'll come up with some excuse not to turn up,meaning tjat you'll have a great christmas

It is weird indeed, everybody just ends up and puking everywhere

Watched Mystic Knights as a child instead of power rangers, had a great intro theme

>I'm sure that they'll come up with some excuse not to turn up,
Why would they do that? They spent Christmas with her husband's parents last year, so they're switching it up this year.

>everybody just ends up and puking everywhere
That doesn't sound like my experience in France at all. I had assumed binge drinking wasn't even a thing over there.

>Why
Because you don't like her and she doesn't like you does she?

>but it's my second in a row
Weren't you with them last year? Or was that New Year's?

>But it's what I want.
That's what I'm saying. It's fine if you don't want to go but you made it sound like they would hate having you there.

>I want them to enjoy Christmas and I don't want to have to endure the awkwardness
I may be making assumptions here but I think parents care more about having everyone together more than your feelings of awkwardness. If parents cared about awkwardness then families wouldn't exist.
Did your mother never give you the "All I want for Christmas is for everyone to be happy" line?

>meeting my sister's husband for the first time
How long do you think you can keep that up? Surely you'd have to meet at a funeral or something down the line.

You probably met the right people, who don't just drink to end up puking

I don't think she's going to let her dislike of me dictate her festive plans.

>Weren't you with them last year?
I was at my parents house but my parents were away until a few days after Christmas.

>but you made it sound like they would hate having you there.
Not true, but I just don't want to cause any hassle.

>I may be making assumptions here but I think parents care more about having everyone together more than your feelings of awkwardness
You underestimate the distance between me and my sister.

>Did your mother never give you the "All I want for Christmas is for everyone to be happy" line?
Haven't told her I'm not going yet.

>How long do you think you can keep that up?
Indefinitely I hope.

>not being an idort
I don't understand people that limit themselves to only choosing one. When I was a child I wouldn't discriminate against Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Biker Mice From Mars.

>I had assumed binge drinking wasn't even a thing over there.
The French always struck me as big drinkers. Since they can legally drink from 16 I imagine them as being casual about it than we would.

Wa can drink starting 16 yo in France

>Not true, but I just don't want to cause any hassle.
Never forget that I very much like you and that I have the utmost respect for you,but you sound like quite a wimp
Though you can probably judge the situation better than I can

>The French always struck me as big drinkers
They're way more sensible about drinking than we are.

I don't think there's anything wimpy about making a sacrifice so that others can enjoy a hassle-free Christmas.

>Others
Fuck the others,look after yourself first

Bit selfish, Lux.

So what?
Don't get me wrong,I see that you have to look after the others too,but not if you dislike the person,otherwise you'll end up pulling the short straw until the end of your days

>otherwise you'll end up pulling the short straw until the end of your days
I don't really feel like I'm pulling the short straw though. I'm not that big into Christmas anyway; my favourite things about it are the food and posting Christmas anime girls on Sup Forums. Regardless, this is the first time in over a year that the lives of my sister and I have come into contact, so it's not like I'm regularly "pulling the short straw".

General advice with no bad intentions,in the end,it's up to you

>pic
Her glasses make her look like she is the opposite of cross-eyed.

>I don't think she's going to let her dislike of me dictate her festive plans.
Well then she couldn't hate you that much.

>You underestimate the distance between me and my sister.
It never ceases to surprise me that's for sure. And I used to think I had a bad relationship with my sister. One of these days we'll hear the details of what happened between you, and be eternally disappointed when it turns out you really did just grow apart without any big Hollywood plot event.

>Haven't told her I'm not going yet.
I meant in general. Mine says it all the time, for her birthday as well. Of course I refuse to be happy so I usually get her a book or something instead.

>Indefinitely I hope.
The plot twist: he comes to your funeral.

And in Spain, as annoyed our teachers on the secondary school holiday when half the class was getting drink legally from nearby.
I wonder will they ever change the law here. It's not like most teenagers in Ireland aren't already drinking, this would just make it less of a hassle for the Gardaí going around chasing kids through the woods at night. Plus it would end the hegemony of the eternal "that lad with an older brother/cousin who'll buy you drink".

That's what I said isn't it? Irish underage drinking comes about out of rebellion for the most part. 15 year olds start with the attitude of trying to drink as much as possible to impress the lads and they keep that attitude for years afterward.

>The plot twist: he comes to your funeral.
Ah fuck, why did you have to make me realise that inevitability.

My bad I meant 18 yo in France. Though most people buy drink thanks to their older friends

Might turn on the central heating for the first time this year.

He's right though.

>I'm not that big into Christmas anyway
We need to do something to curb this Grinchy attitude in /éire/.

>my favourite things about it are the food
I was never a fan of dry turkey but I eat it anyways.

And now you are left with the curse of having to maintain a healthy lifestyle in an effort to outlive everyone you know. Or you could go missing at sea or something. They'd still have a funeral but as long as they don't find the body it doesn't really count.

Oh really? My mistake then. From looking it up it seems Spain is also 18 so either my class were buying illegally anyways or the law changed since they were there.

Much more tired than usual,good night
Calling you a winp was a bit uncalled for,I'm sorry

>He's right though.
While there's nothing technically wrong with being selfish, there's no reason to impose one's selfishness on others.

>Calling you a winp was a bit uncalled for,I'm sorry
Lux, I'm not easily offended.

>twenty past 10 already
Good God my concept of time is fucked.

Did you have any heating on up until now? How were you surviving?

Nighty night.

>reverse image search
>it searches for the thumbnail
>finds no result
There's some way around this I'm sure.

>Did you have any heating on up until now? How were you surviving?
My place is well insulated and I'm not that bothered by the cold.

Open the image then right click and "search Google for image". Or open Google images and drag it in there. I'm sure I said this just a few weeks ago.

Non biggies. I believed we were known for our drinking and smoking though. That and eating frogs

>there's no reason to impose one's selfishness on others
That's what selfishness is though. If you're not imposing on someone else or sacrificing their happiness for yours then you're not being selfish.

>My place is well insulated
Well la dee dah mister once-lived-in-France man.

>I'm not that bothered by the cold.
I usually feel cold but I have no tolerance for the heat. I'd rather have my blood freeze solid in Antarctica than have to deal with a slightly warm humid day here.

>If you're not imposing on someone else or sacrificing their happiness for yours then you're not being selfish.
I know I'm a very selfish person, but I have to actively stop myself from acting on it.

>That and eating frogs
And the snails.

>I have to actively stop myself from acting on it
Well then that doesn't make you very selfish if you only think about it.

I had an English question, excuse my spelling I drank a few beers and I'm drunk. Is there an expression in English meaning you get drunk easily but you're not used to drinking? (in French it would be: "je tiens pas l'alcool")

because you're not used*, sorry about that lads

>you get drunk easily because you're not used to drinking?
I don't think so. You'd call someone who gets drunk easily a lightweight but that doesn't specify how used they are to drinking.

Thank you. I was unfamiliar with this expression, I'll add it to my personnal French-English dictionnary
>And the snails.
it's actually good, anyone in here has ever tried?

>je tiens pas l'alcool
I cannot hold/keep my alcohol?

With no prior knowledge I would translate that as "lightweight", but I'm not seeing where the "not used to drinking" part is coming from.

>I cannot hold/keep my alcohol?
that would be the litteral translation. The "not used to drinking" part is implied not stated, if you get what I mean. French and English can be so similar yet so apart sometimes

*the, not "my"

>The "not used to drinking" part is implied not stated, if you get what I mean
Ah, I getcha.

Anybody familiar with the Pon Pon Pon song?

(I promise this is going somewhere)

>Images saved
I'm familiar with it, though I had to google it to make sure we were talking about the same song

I've been looking for an English version of the song that I heard in a stream a while back. It's a parody in which an innocent girl is being lewded in many ways, yet she remains surprisingly upbeat about the whole affair.

>anyone in here has ever tried?
God no, I'm fussy enough about my food already.

>that would be the litteral translation
The amount of times my mother would give out to me for doing that in Irish.

After looking it up, pretty sure I've heard it before somewhere. And I recognise the thumbnail but never clicked on it. That music video is acid.

Just finished watching the Orville, surprisingly good
>The amount of times my mother would give out to me for doing that in Irish.
I had to look up the meaning of "give out" and google mentionned that it was Irish-English.
Sounds interesting but I don't know which song you're talking about desu

>The amount of times my mother would give out to me for doing that in Irish.
Irish grammar is far too different to English grammar for that to work. French grammar is quite different to English grammar, but they're still similar enough so you can get away with literal translations far more often than with Irish.

>I had to look up the meaning of "give out" and google mentionned that it was Irish-English.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

Behold our corruption of the English language.

>Behold our corruption of the English language.
It explains why I didn't understand shit sometimes back when I was in Ireland. The worst part was when I was in NI, the accent was way too heavy

>The worst part was when I was in NI, the accent was way too heavy
To be fair, even we have difficulty with that at times.

>I've been looking for an English version of the song that I heard in a stream a while back.
You search for a lot of things from these anime streams. Would that make us /éi/r/e/?

>It's a parody in which an innocent girl is being lewded in many ways, yet she remains surprisingly upbeat about the whole affair.
Stockholm Syndrome or general slagginess?

>I had to look up the meaning of "give out" and google mentionned that it was Irish-English.
Yeah I realised after I posted that you might not've gotten that. I had to think if other places said it as well.

>Irish grammar is far too different to English grammar for that to work.
Believe me, I know. Didn't stop me trying to half-arse it when it was late and I just wanted to be done with the homework.

>To be fair, even we have difficulty with that at times.
Makes sense, it's the same in France desu and with the French spoken in Québec.
>You've got some pretty good pics there

>Stockholm Syndrome or general slagginess?
Neither. It's hard to describe, which is why I'm having so much trouble finding the song.

>You've got some pretty good pics there
I only post the best.

>Neither. It's hard to describe
Obliviousness or doujin-like mindbreaking then?

>I only post the best.
Why must you turn our general into a thread of lies?

youtu.be/5bHimOJb-Xw

Found it. It's more lewd than I remember.

is that is?
youtube.com/watch?v=5bHimOJb-Xw

you were quicker than I was, well played Shaun

>Shaun
Huh?

Fuck I thought it was an Irish name, I feel stupid now

That's the Anglicised version of the actual Irish name; Seán. Pronounced the same though.