What's it like knowing more than one language?

What's it like knowing more than one language?

Doesn't it take too much space in your mind?

>implying i know
why did u ask me this question?

huutista vähämieliselle jenkille joka puhuu vain yhtä (1) kieltä

Not really, I strongly recommend you try it.
It's more learning about other people's culture than just memorizing rules.

Pretty good

>vähämieliselle
he said language not retardation

I feel superior, like a god

>other language grammar

friendship ended with germany

just get a duolingo and get going, think of it as a brain exercise. I learned the basics of several European languages this way, and it's really fun to see how similar they really are. Watch movies with subtitles, read song lyrics translations, read books with a dictionary, get some native speaker to talk with you and you'll be fine. Learning languages to be able to communicate with someone is kinda dumb because everyone speaks English nowadays, but only if you learn another language you can truly understand them and their culture.

Also, brain space is pretty much limitless.

Yo sabo muchos espanol. Muchos palabras. Yo soy muy inteligente ahora. Me gusto espanol. Espanol tenga buenos palabras. Me gusto Espania, tu gusta Espania?

It is annoying. Every time you learn a language you start thinking in it.
I have to remind myself to think in mother tongue for faster processing while
doing stuff. But I have forgotten some words in mother tongue and is
been replaced by english word, some words totally blurred while some I dont
know in english. For this I think it made me a brainlet.

>still no arabic or farsi on duolingo
>Israel's made up language is

Arabic is coming in 2018 I think

Czasem już myślę na temat tego żeby nauczyć się litewskiego czy nawet prusskiego

fucking High Valyrian but no farsi

>Doesn't it take too much space in your mind?
unironically yes

I wish I could unlearn b*lgarian and only speak English. Learning anything else other than English is equal to learning Python after knowing C++ perfectly - pointless bloat for your neurons that could've been spent learning something more productive instead, like math or the stock market

>grew up with three languages
>think in all 3, depending on how I feel, and the situation I'm in
>getting better in English, worse at others
It fucking sucks, because I have a weird as fuck accent in English. My mother tongue has almost completely atrophied too, so I'm losing out on le foreign culture points. I envy Anglos who just have English as their only language

>Also, brain space is pretty much limitless.
kek

does duolingo also teach the alphabets of languages?

It's a deep shame that WT didn't release a song in Dutch.

Please start twitter compaigin

Your language is cool and you should save it.

You literally may become the first who will lost the language to English

Polyglotism feels like the closest thing to a super power a normal person can achieve IRL.

I speak Swedish, Norwegian (pretty much the same) and English.
Not a problem.
Only downside is that I sometimes forget certain words in either language. Even in my mother tongue Swedish.
I forgot the word for "dishwasher" (diskmaskin) the other day when talking to my mom..

Your mind expands with knowledge

And when you decide to unlearn the language, you'll have preallocated and reserved room that is easier to commit knowledge to

I can Speak Italian, English and Japanese (this one as a fairly decent level but not as fluently as the previous two).
The only downside is that sometimes I forget a word in Italian and I'm forced to use the English equivalent

It feels stimulating, like reading a book or those moments you're learning new things and are conscious about it. And if anything learning English feels like it made far more information and knowledge available
also
>second language experience-induced brain changes, including increased gray matter (GM) density and white matter (WM) integrity, can be found in children, young adults, and the elderly
unless your time is valuable, there's no reason not to learn a new language, and seeing how browsing Mongolian kayak forums is the way you choose to spend your free time...

>This
We should think of a way to avoid this

Unlearn every language we know bar the native

Nah. It's just like math and you see patterns. Just like 1+1, ...
The same way you just take a pen and can write something in your own language. There's no switch or some sort of blockde once you're fluent

Not really "much space", because your native language always leaves your mouth naturally, so you don't need to care about how you're gonna say something. By the other hand, your learned language will require more effort, both for the unfolding of your language and for the placement of words. Knowing the basic of a third language won't harm you in any way, but being fluent in three of them will probably make some bugs in your mind sometimes, if you don't practice them all often.

This, for me three languages is the most I can be proficient in, I speak 4 but at any one time I'm comfortable in 3.

not at all. just pick up a fucking book you retard, even better just go on teh internets and read a guide on whatever you want to learn

I've heard a terrible story that some of the half children end up not being fluent on both Japanese and XXX language so I think it takes some extent of the brain space

Do people believe the brain has a limited amount of space, like a hard drive?

Hebrew preceded both Farsi and Arabic

it probably has, I already have forgotten most of what I learned in college since I don't really use it now.

I feel like between what I learn and what I forgot it's overall a zero sum game.

I think he means modern Hebrew being an artificial language.

English language is easy to learn

Come on be honest here:
There was no such thing in the first place.

Several Arabic 'dialects' claim to be the legitimate modern heir to the language, Egyptian Arabic is being pushed as an independent language for instance

That is why we go to school while we are young. Kids brain can absorb information easily without really trying. Main reason why adults have difficulty to learn new language and learning a new language can become something stressful for us.
I know arabic (muslim background and stuff), english, malay and spanish. I may not know every single word in a semtence but I can pretty much guess what it is all about. I did learn hebrew too, but rusty.

Speaking English and Spanish is enough to me. Learning a third foreign language wouldn't be useful. Studying to master these languages i already know is much better in my opinion