Question of other Americans...

Question of other Americans. Do you consider being "American" to be a national/ethnic identity like your usual nation state or do you see it more as a civic identity like say being a "Roman"? Do you see yourself as solely an American or do you see yourself as something else and just hold to "America" as an ideal for law?

And for once lets just put aside the usual arguments about how culturally distinct states are, because it doesn't much matter here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWYrcnehito
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=DWYrcnehito
I see us all as preservers of peace :^).
American is a nationality, and we are all united. :^^)

>I see us all as preservers of peace

I guess the closest way I feel about it is your roman example, but that makes it sound so much more romantic than what being an american actually is.

If you have American citizenship, speak english, and are hard working and a net positive for the nation, then I consider you an American.

I feel like you should love the country, and preferably be white
We were always vast majority white until that fucking bullshit "We are all immigrants" shit was made as an excuse to open the gates to the barbarians
I don't want to be like the Roman Empire, but I feel we probably might suffer the same fate

FUCK I'M A FUCKING MUTT I NAMED SOME OTHER WOJAK "ROMAN WOJAK " AND SAVED THE WRONG IMAGE

>America ends the first world war
>we don't occupy europe
America ends the second world war
>we occupy europe and half the world

I don't understand the question.

Why the fuck would you consider American an ethnicity?

>America ends the first world war
>America ends the second world war

I divide Americans by two types: on-paper Americans, and ethnic Americans. The on-paper ones just applied for citizenship and waited until they got it. The ethnic ones are WASPs with roots going back before 1965.

t. occupied by germans and raped by russians

>>America ends the first world war
>mfw this is what americans believe
>mfwnf

I consider it a national/ethnic identity. I grew up in an """"""Irish"""""" neighborhood on the south side of Chicago where every single person there was heritage fag, I fucking hated it. Retards whose entire bloodlines have lived on American soil since the early 1800s yet they still feel a "connection" to Ireland even though no one in their family as ever been there. Fuck that shit, I hate it so much. I'm not """"""Irish"""""" I'm American. I have nothing in common with the people of Ireland except for a last name.

I'm essentially asking about the difference between a nation and an ideological Empire.The difference between "I am an American, full stop" and "I am a New Englander who believes in the constitution and thus upholds the system". The former might expect all immigrants and regions to conform to a uniform American culture, while the second might not give a shit and a different region may as well speak a different language as long as they uphold our version of representative government.

I just can't remember a better word for a discreet cultural identity group.

You are right, god I hate heritage fags. Especially the ones that proudly proclaim themselves as "mutts" because they are supposedly 50% Polish, 25% Irish, 42% Italian and .000025% Cherokee (which is why he carries around a dream-catcher). Who gives a shit?

What do you think about regional identities?

>americans didn't end the world wars
>I don't know how to formulate arguments

same here, expect replace irish with italian. i was born in this country and speak english. i have nothing in common with "muh ancestors"

>>no major war since

because all the major players have nukes now. we are left with just picking on countries without them now.

BACK-TO-BACK WORLD WAR CHAMPS

The only wasps in america these days are southerners. New England is Irish. Most of the Midwest and rest is German

Anglos are shit

>1965
Only 50 years ago? Fucking nothing

More like before the late 1800s.

>Americans have been in a permanent state of war since it's birth
>BB-BUT WERR DA PREZERVURZ OF PIESSSS

economy 4x the size of yours

Don't you have to surrender somewhere else?

even the greeks knew you must fight to preserve peace

WW1 as a tribal european conflict was ended faster by americans but they were more like a helping factor on the side. WW2 arose from the implications of the first. You might think about this like the iraq war but with you in the role of the helping brits.
Ended saddam but not the problems of the land so the conflict between its people continued.

That's a very complicated question. I think America is a union with a set of laws and a constitution, and nothing more. But I don't necessarily believe that "anybody can be American" or in a melting pot either.

Southerners aren't wasps. Most of us are of Scots-Irish stock except for Louisiana and Virginia.

>But I don't necessarily believe that "anybody can be American" or in a melting pot either.

My feelings on this are mixed. On one hand a lot of our regional cultures have a bedrock in the melting pot and you can still see all of the various influences in places. Yet I also don't think I would want my culture to change due to people coming and going without putting down roots or adopting anything from our culture.