Discuss

Discuss

>be Irish
>literal island country
>starve to death whilst surrounded by fish
>never manage to colonize a single overseas territory

LMAO

The UK is truly evil

It's meaningless because what counts as a single "colony" is arbitrary and varies dramatically even within empires. Portuguese colonies were often as small as neighborhoods of single cities, trading ports and such. Meanwhile the entirety of Greenland is one "colony" to the Danish, not to mention something like India.

>Sweden: 8
>Denmark: 9

Britan the OG Imperialist pigs
also, muh empire

Intrestin! We was better than italy!

>coloniestugal

they colonized the united states

>Greece had a colony
How do they figure? Are they counting Byzantine times or something?

this desu, the UK is basically an Irish colony on two levels now thanks to Brexit.

Perfidious Albion and the Eternal Tuga are united in their bloodlust and thirst for imperialism.

Indonesians still can't believe how such a small country managed to rule all of them

That's even pre-Byzantine though.

We should've broken up Brazil like the Sp*niards to have a higher number.

Wasn't Indonesia like 1000 rival kingdoms at the time, though?

>mfw Germany managed to get almost half the number of Spanish colonies in a tenth of the time

By over a thousand years. Two thousand years from the end of the Byzantine empire, even.

Obviously that's probably not what they are counting on OPs map as one colony. I don't know what their modern colony would have been off the top of my head, and it's hard to search for without getting results about the ancient colonies.

>colonizertugal

Most Portuguese colonies were heavily influenced by Portugal, though. Can't say the same about German colonies and Germany.

I mean, tons of english ones are shitty small islands in the middle of nowhere.

Poland, Lithuania, and Turkey should not be at 0

they were surrounded by the UK who which I remind you had the largest naval power of all time.

Having small islands dotting the entire globe is essential to being able to maintain global control of the seas though. Every shitty remote island allowed them to coal ships that patrolled millions of square miles of ocean. It's a pretty good scheme, that's why the Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch tried to do basically the same thing.

I know Americans don't know history, but surely you understand that Ireland was directly ruled by Britain until about a hundred years ago. It wasn't just like a weak independent country hanging around next to the seat of the largest empire in the world.

>Turkey
>0

The only place that could reasonably be called a "Turkish colony" is Albania. Vassal states are not colonies.

greek colony?

Why hasn't Poland had any colonies?

roman empire, venice,genoa

Why were the Brits able to colonize the world while the Irish weren't?

That sounds like a really cheap copout.

If vassals and tributary states count, pretty much every country in Europe should be marked as having had many colonies on that map.

SICK
MAN
OF
EUROPE

>The only place that could reasonably be called a "Turkish colony" is Albania.

A colony is a special term used in the context of colonialism, a historically defined phenomena. The only cheap thing here is your mammas handjobs.

r-rude

Nuke Iberia

but thats wrong

115 colonies?

this, there are random ports and satellite stations n shiet on them

That's funny, and explains why The Gambia always gets colonized by some ridiculous tiny country in Europa Universalis 3.