Name a better newspaper comic

Name a better newspaper comic.

Peanuts you absolute faggot

Yeesh

C&H is great but I feel like its tremendously overrated, and people have an obnoxious tendency to say they see themselves in Calvin, which just comes across as terribly self-aggrandizing.

Peanuts is good, and you really can't deny it's a pop culture phenomenon, but it's no Calvin and Hobbes.

Peanuts, Prince Valiant, or Dick Tracy

Peanuts isn't funny

>liking peanuts
>calling others faggots
as long as you're already in it, why don't you also defend Garfield or Cathy?

I wanted to say the Far Side, but it's not as consistently funny now that I've grown up.

Still good though.

I liked both of those. So sue me.

I wonder how many people on Sup Forums had dads who would consistently fuck with them like this.

the bus comes to mind, but it's not even on the same genre so it doesn't really compare. In the end it comes down to a matter of preference between surreal humour and gorgeous art of the bus VS the slice of life humour and gorgeous art of C&H

What is this furry garbage? Take it to Sup Forums

my favorite strip of the bus

Really?

My grandpa fed me crap like that all the time growing up. Even after I got to an age where I knew he was bullshitting me, I still liked to see where his imagination went.

Cathy

Krazy Kat
Peanuts
Pogo
Dick Tracy
Li'l Abner
Popeye
Little Nemo
Prince Valiant
Gasoline Alley
Barnaby
Little Orphan Annie

C&H is just okay, your love for it is performative.

you'll be hearing from my lawyers

Pearls Before Swine

This guy knows what's up.

Judging peanuts by its post 60s output is a shameful display. Don't open your mouth about that shit till you've read a volume of the 50s strips. I don't know that there exists a cartoonist who can express so much with so little.

The other decades aren't bad though.

Pogo is my absolute favorite.

A number of your choices seem a tad questionable however.

I dont get the love for peanuts. It just never seemed to spark for me.

I like FoxTrot.

Its early years were cynical

You're all idiots.

THE PHANTOM.

>Prince Valiant
severely under-rated. Or unknown/forgotten. Hard to tell with newspaper comics these days.

My grandpa made up stuff like that all the time. He was a WW2 vet, and when I asked him what the war was like he told me batshit insane stuff like that he fought Nazi vampires and Japanese werewolves, and that monsters joined the Axis. He also told me that Hitler flew a plane into battle once and it was a special plane that shot Jew-seeking missiles. Since I was, like, 5 or six and still belived the X-Men were real (and thought I might be a mutant at the time) I thought it was the awesomest thing ever. I later found out he joined late in the war and never saw any fighting, just sat around on an island in the Philippines after it was already liberated. Neat story, though

I have nothing to add to this thread.
I just really, Really, really like Calvin and Hobbes

The twins are all growed up. I have been away for a while.

So long as you hate Susie.

I don't think it's better than C&H, but by god is it good

peanuts is boring and repetitive.

>hating best girl

Between Calvin and Hobbes the comic is incredibly relatable

Impossible

>Jew seeking missiles

>no one's mentioned Cul de Sac yet
the first comic strip since C&H to give me similar vibes. But like all the best things, it was cut short.

Exploitable!

>and people have an obnoxious tendency to say they see themselves in Calvin,

Shit man it's almost as if most people had a hyper-active imagination that got them in trouble all the time during their childhood or something.

The girls are always hot to me. Dunno why.

There is none.

Krazy Kat and Peanuts are up there right behind it though.

And I really loved The Far Side.

This fucking kid.

Here's a parody of C&H that shows up briefly in an episode of STAS, thought it was pretty funny.

Just felt like sharing

May as well post the rest since we're talking about Newspaper strips in general

Last one

>goof-ball

my sides

jesus that last panel

Wait, so where was McGurk?
I don't get it.

That's the only one that isn't a parody as far as I know, it has to do with the plot of the episode.

That's Mr. Mxyzptlk

Me too.

i don't get this one

>Peanuts parody
>By Broken English
heh

Calvin is that one kid who constantly does stuff the teacher was never trained for.

We know his teacher smokes, drinks antacid straight from the bottle, and is multiply medicated, and it's all implied to be because of Calvin.

I don't get that one

Garfield

i dont understand

>Wait... What's the...

They did it! The absolute mad men!

It has to do with a certain... Loss...

loss

OH LOSS! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I see it now

I don't see myself in Calvin, but I'll fully admit that Calvin was the kid I wanted to be. Whether that entailed spending a lot of time hiking through the hills and woods, or getting tons of mileage out of big cardboard boxes.

I still don't. Spell it out for me?

You're either very new or have managed to avoid being exposed to one of the most pervasive Sup Forums memes since 2008

figured it out

Garfield

>baby raccoon

Oh snap

Faggot.

He's heard of other languages having genders for inanimate objects, and saw an opportunity to bug his teacher.

My dad claimed that cows that grazed on hillsides had to be driven around to the other side of the mountain every year or else one side of their legs would grow shorter than thr other.

I fucking believed him too until I was like 12.

Huh, that's actually kind of clever.

>There are people in this very thread who think Peanuts is shit.
Disgusting.

it definitely deserves to be on a top 10 list, if not top 5. whether or not it's outright the best depends on taste

it's been a thing way before anita did it

political radio personalities in the 80s and 90s did it (see rush limbaugh) and even news casters in the 2000s did it

My dad convinced me that fairies lived in the fireplace, and I spent hours on end trying to catch them.

He thought it was fucking hilarious. He still makes fun of me about it to this day.

Sorry, I can't. Nothing can.

Pearls Before Swine and early Bloom County are close faves of mine.

Gentlemen, I offer you...
B. Virtanen.
>Let's have a coffee break
>There is no time for coffee
>We have to have a coffee break! Even the law says...
>Alright alright. I'll get the coffee to drip.

Sorry, its the best pic I could find of this particular strip in such short notice.

How retarded are you?

Calvin is acerbic and critical of flaws in society. People who claim they're like Calvin are the same idiots who call themselves lone wolves or rebels.

My dad and I once used a Regular Show joke to convince my little brother he was stuck in the 70's.

Fingerpori > B. Virtanen

I know Fingerpori is great, but there is too much wordplay for international spread, except for few strips like one where Heimo introduced a foreign visitor his friend Rape.

You do know there are official english translations of shit tons of the strips, right? An entire book of them has been published.

it's disgusting that people are attempting to answer

>it's disgusting that people have differing opinions
Horrifying.

As far as being consistently funny and good art, I'll go with the bus as well.

>tfw the weekly comics are gone
>tfw Denise is gone
>tfw Phoebe and Morton might as well be gone

to annoy her about something that doesn't really matter in english

Other languages, for example, Spanish, have gendered nouns for inanimate objects, but English doesn't. Calvin is just finding a way to annoy his teacher about something that doesn't matter.

Watterson was really ahead of his time