Science Fiction Comics

What are some good science fiction comics/webcomics?

Other urls found in this thread:

drivecomic.com/archive/090815.html
marecomic.com/
space-mullet.com/
derelictcomic.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dresden Codak

I just started reading this. Good so far.

Freakangels

Black Science is good, so is Fear Agent. Both are written by Rick Remender. If you like Prophet you'll like both of them.

Drive is good, though updates are pretty slow coming lately.
drivecomic.com/archive/090815.html

In case anyone was wondering, the image is from Mare Internum. It's about Mars so that's a +5 pts right there in my book.

marecomic.com/

>Black Science
>basically Quantum Leap but through increasingly horrifying dimensions
Sounds interesting.

Not fucking Mare Internum, that's for sure, pretty art aside it hasn't made any goddamned sense since the first chapter...

i just started reading 'space mullet' recently, it's a kinda low-stakes space adventure comic with really good art
space-mullet.com/

apparently the guy just got an actual book deal for it, so that's nice

>comics
Transmetropolitan is kinda scifi. Works by Moebius might be too weird and fantasy-like to fit but very good nevetheless.
>webcomics
See pic attached, some post-apocalyptic is also scifi, I recommend Derelict. Ava's Demon is sci-fi but the story writing may disappoint, I follow it for the nice art.

I just read the whole thing and it makes sense. What are you on about?

Fuck off

Sleepwalkers was a good one though. So is all the D&D stuff and, well, all of Diaz's one-offs are great.

>Where the fuck is he
>What the fuck is shark face
>What's that shit growing on his face
>Where did that lobster incest thing came from
>How is he still alive
>Where's the black gal
>What's going on in the base
>How much time has passed
>What the fuck was that skeleton when he fulled the thing from underwater
>Why can he breathe underwater
>If the machine was destroyed, then how come sharkface was able to talk to it
>How the hell did he managed to go to mars, he's a fucking wreck
>He's not homo yet no hetero, so is he asexual
>Why does it keep introducing more mysteries rather than tackling the earlier one
>???

I could go on.

If you like eurocomics, Sillage (Wake) is pretty rad.

>there are unanswered questions
Yes, and?

Comics have gone on longer without answering serious questions. It's a common enough thing. Maybe you are particularly bitter because you have been forced to wait all this time, but having only just read it all I don't have a problem with the mystery. It will all come in time.

Also,
>In a Martian cave.
>An alien.
>Presumably a Martian parasite or barnacle.
>wat
>Because he hit something soft.
>Somewhere else.
>Business as usual.
>Several days by his beard growth.
>Martian life.
>He can't. Also the alien implied he couldn't.
>Because it broke after the alien talked to it.
>He's gay but not getting any.
>Because it keeps readers coming back for more.

Forgot to replace that one.
>Presumably there a lot of people on Mars so acceptance criteria aren't stringent at this point and his breakdown only began after he reached Mars.

Can you clarify what you mean by science fiction?

That term could mean everything from Saga to the Fantastic Four to Transmetropolitan to The Incal.

Are you looking for a specific type, like space opera stuff?

Typical science fiction, not including cape comics. Just run of the mill "humans in the future in settings where fantastic concepts have some semblance of an explanation" kind of stories.

Also the harder the science fiction the better.

I think of a few pieces like Orbiter by Warren Ellis, but if you're looking for hard SF you should look towards manga.

Western comics, especially Euro comics, tend towards science-fantasy stories rather than hard SF.

>but if you're looking for hard SF you should look towards manga
Any suggestions?

Ronin by Frank Miller is good, and it's from Miller's peak era. It's a weird mix of cyberpunk and samurai movies.

Schlock Mercenary has never had good art, but it updates every day and has for 10+ years. It concerns a mercenary company in a cynical setting where pretty much everyone is an asshole and has access to near-Culture-level tech.

Niourk, Wake, Orbital... The French love their science fiction. A lot of it is translated too.

Yeah, but his well-known comic is terrible. Don't want to give anyone the wrong idea.

Fair enough.

If you like hard SF (i.e., science-fiction that is more reality-based and doesn't hand wave away stuff like physics), I recommend Makoto Yukimura's Planetes (yeah, it's manga, but SF is SF and comics is comics no matter how you label it).

It's got a great handle on what solar system colonization in the near future could be like (Yukimura created the manga in the 1990s, but a lot of his equipment and vehicle designs look like the stuff that NASA and ESA designers are creating now and predicting for the future), while still offering a lot of human drama and thrills.

The Chimpanzee Complex was good.

Do you like bullshit-dressed-up-like-science? Then Planetary is the comic for you

Any comics about robots and the singularity?

The only ones I can think of offhand are Dresden Codak, Questionable Content and that weird french furry one.

Derelict
derelictcomic.com/

Universal War One is amazing.

>Questionable Content
Wait what? I didn't know robots could be gay

>tfw artfag that has been gradually building up a sci-fi comic story for a decade but psyche myself out of ever starting it

I'm in the same boat. It's one thing planning out all this shit, but actually committing and doing anything with it is a whole other story.

>that image

my wallpaper for the longest time, goddamn.

Don't start big, guys. It's great to dream and all but your expectations are going to crash once it meets reality. Start with some smaller stories, perhaps already using the setting you've thought up; that way, you can explore it, actually live it out and flesh it further.

bump

Not them, but that sounds like good advice.

I read the first volume, it was ok. The characters are weak and clichés. The story is promising but the execution is just ok. It kinda suffers from having so few pages to tell its story. It's an hindrance to character's developments and action scenes.

>good science fiction
Le Transperceneige (Snowpiercer in English) gets mixed reviews, I kinda liked the unusual setting and internal politics.
It was storytimed here recently, might find it in the Official Win-O'-Thread.

It gets better. It's also only six books.

What is the story leading up to Earth War called?

>ctrl-f
>no mention of Flash Gordon
For shame, Sup Forums!

Mister X
Electropolis
Terminal City

She dropped The Meek, started this, picked up The Meek again. Confusing. Can't be easy to keep up with two comics at the same time.

They are mediocra, and lean entirely on his artstyle. Granted, it actually works when he's doing weird stuff. But the D&D ones are literally only enjoyable when you're a first year college student.

In short, Sleepwalkers is the only decent comic on the site. And it's still him fapping furiously over his main character.

Well the Meek's story kind of moves abruptly from chapter to chapter IMO but I may just need to read it again
Mare Internum is fine but I'd like the author to finally explain why it changed from a kinda hard scifi setting to "welp now you can breath on mars, here's an alien friend"

I dropped Orbital when it retreaded the same exact plot for the second story. Not a big fan of stuff like that. Another comic I like did the same thing, but the first one is worth reading.

Aldebaran. The writing is dated, and the art oldfashioned, but it's a really good vision of colonisation of another planet.

Just don't read the other issues. The author kind of got the hots for his own character. Annoying.

I tried reading the Meek years ago, got to the end, and never had an interest on picking it up again. I'm not a big fain of fantasy settings.

A hard science fiction story set on Mars though? Sign me up.

>In short, Sleepwalkers is the only decent comic on the site.
That's a lie.

The Forever War has a bunch of comics related to it. Notable for Haldeman actively seeking out a Belgian artist to make the comics.

They also did another series together, though I've yet to read it.

Related to the movie, I assume?

>"welp now you can breath on mars, here's an alien friend"
Not on Mars, in Mars.

I mean, it's not that hard to imagine. Deep down pressure is great enough that water doesn't evaporate. Air within the caverns has a different composition than air on the surface due to the subterranean Martian ecosystem.

*fan

Thanks for reminding me of Storm.

>pretentious olde timey SCIENCE!!!!! crap

If you enjoy it, sure. But this is not what I would recommend to anyone as science fiction or simply as a comic.

Either way, picking through shit to find gold is never good. And if you ask me, this is fool's gold, anyway. I find humour like this to be incredibly irritating.

>it's pretentious because I don't get all the jokes
You are entitled to your opinions, but don't go on the attack just for that. The rest of your post is fine, but you should't have claimed it is pretentious.

>people who don't like it don't get the jokes

And that's why I called it pretentious.

user, reread my post. I said you were entitled to your opinion and that the only problem was that you thought it was pretentious. You have zero grounds for that claim.

Reread your own post. You're assuming that the only reason I'm calling it pretentious, is that the jokes are too smart for me. But they aren't. They aren't even smart, period. And that's what pretentious means: PRETENDING to be something you're not.

Dresden Codak on a whole is just a very pretentious comic, and those olde timey ones in particular rely on namedropping some olde timey stuff in lieu of actual humour.

I understand you don't like it when something you enjoy is called pretentious, but come the fuck on, user. Look at it! It's about on the same level as when Penny Arcade did those hi-larious olde timey comics where they had an alligator with a top hat or something. All of it is just "weren't Victorian times strange?" without any actual commentary on history itself.

>comes in here intending to post this
>first post
Thank god.

You said that one-off in particular was pretentious. You have yet to show how it is pretentious. Assuming you didn't get the jokes was my only recourse since you refuse to give an explanation as to why it is pretentious. Just give me a reason. A single reason.

As it stands, that one off is a funny jab at past scientific theories that are now considered bunk.

I liked the bit about the physics TA.
I was a physics TA.

That was amazing. My mom used to get me those from the library

I'm not under any obligation to give an explanation. The word has meaning on its own, believe it or not, and you're generally expected to do a little of your own theorising.

Of course, I actually did explain in my second post, so I'm going to quote myself here:

>All of it is just "weren't Victorian times strange?" without any actual commentary on history itself.

That pretty much cuts to the core of the matter. It's a very simple comic in which the punchline is that people used to do and believe things we don't anymore.

>As it stands, that one off is a funny jab at past scientific theories that are now considered bunk.

No, it really isn't. Like I said, it doesn't actually do anything with its material. It's just a fairly straight sendup of Victorian medicine, mostly, with some scientific theory on the side. Literally one panel. But mostly it pokes fun at Victorian medicine, which is the most effective part of the joke, too. But it does nothing more but point out that Victorian medicine was kind of crude.

But really, real life is funnier than the comic. Go ahead, google "the first chainsaw". I mean, I've already spoiled part of the joke, but I guarantue you won't be disappointed.

Of course, that's one half of it. The really pretentious part if namedropping Laplace as if his inclusion actually means something. That's just early Dresden Codak part and parcel: Namedrop scientists, vaguely refer to some theorem they cooked up, and make the audience feel smart for not getting the vapours for looking at mathematical equations they don't even understand.

In a word: Pretentious.

'In our shadow' is pretty damn amazing.
It's got mech fights all over the place, it's got ludicrously good and consistant artwork. The story actualy delves a lot into how psychology works.
By the way...it's totally free on acount of it being a webcomic.

The only gripe you might find is that it's about anthro's if that sort of thing gets under your skin.

The question I always ask where it concerns anthro characters or other fetishy non-humans is: Does the comic do anything with it that warrants them being there?

Once you get over the fact that the writing is dated, Storm is fucking awesome.

>The really pretentious part if namedropping Laplace as if his inclusion actually means something.
No reason? It's referencing Laplace's Demon, not Laplace directly. It's a hypothetical being that knows everything in the present and therefore everything in the past and future.

I guess I can see why someone might think it was unfunny if they just thought it was name drops if you didn't get the core premise of the comic.

So, like I said, not pretentious.

What happened to the site. It's nit coming up recently.

2001 Nights. A manga inspired by the 2001 movie.

LeveL, by Nate Swinehart.
(Note: currently in hiatus because of author's Google Doodler job)

incal
world of edena
technopriests
metabarons
valerian
lost in time
obscure cities
axle munshine
aldebaran
lone sloane
eternaut
den

Shakara

>I could go on.
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou ran for 12 years (about 140 chapters) and never fully explained what had happened. Still is one of the very best.

PositioN and Kabi by the same author are similar in being cryptic and readable.

Fear Agent if you want to be depressed at the end.

Another long, long running Eurocomics is Yoko Tsuno. A new one arrived recently.

Does Heavy Metal / science fantasy shit count?

>it's got ludicrously good and consistant (sic) artwork
>that picture

bump

>Another long, long running Eurocomics is Yoko Tsuno. A new one arrived recently.

Seriously? Is it drawn by a new team like the new Spirou stuff or is Leloup still truckin'??

And of course I'm not gonna wait refreshing the thread like a feeb when I can go look for the answer myself.

>Yoko Tsuno is still running
Are you serious ? That stuff is the shit

META-FUCKING-BARONS OP

As someone who tried and failed (twice so far) I second this user's advice Based on my mistakes: A written script comes first. Make it brief (Occam's Razor, etc.)

Never knowingly leave anything half-assed on paper. Don't be precious with characters and scenes. If it doesn't work, rewrite or cut it.

Make a story with a clear beginning and a clear ending in mind.

Get a comfortable method to work on the script, be it a piece of software or post-its on a wall.

You should be able to describe characters' theme and personality clearly in a couple sentences, and understand what changes they'll go through by the end of their arc.

But DO try and fail, inaction kills you creatively.

Storm is still going with a new team of creators.

If you like that universe, I can also recommend 'The Incal' and 'Technopriests.'

I personally recommend Dark Matter