Hey remember when Disney Villains had actual character and weren't sentient plot devices?

Hey remember when Disney Villains had actual character and weren't sentient plot devices?

Actual villains trigger people and scare children, and every moment you spend, on screen, building proper characterization for a villain is that much less screen time for the heroes, i.e.; the characters that kids will actually buy toys of

What actual character, you mean being flamboyantly in-your-face evil?

When they actually have pressence and character, and didn't feel forced at the last second to be dealt with under a few minute like Callaghan, Hans, and Bellwether who had zero development or time for characterization.

...no?

Well personally I think Hans did have characterisation, but it was very subdued for the sake of the surprise twist, so much so that you miss it unless you, for some reason, become a crazy fan who watches the movie many times paying attention to the character's facial movements.
…yeah.
But I think that they do, indeed, give development to the villains still, the problem is that they're really excited by the twist villain idea and seeing as the twist part requires them to
a) hide who they really are for a large part of the movie
b) not be too good and lovable while "good" so that the audience doesn't end up liking the baddie too much

you get these characters who are forced to be kinda bland for most of the movie. So not enough time for charcterization, as you say, I guess.

A good villain would have worked better in the original draft, I think, where a massive system of fear was already in place and ripe to take advantage of.

A Winter Soldier scenario, where the villain is simply a large and visible tumor for some widespread cancer like HYDRA, would work. The face for numerous Illuminati-type individuals who've infected the world's mainframe, shaping it to their whims. Even better if it ends with a forced reboot, like the collars getting disabled all at once.

>hurrr she's just racist with no further character
Why do idiots keep saying this? Quit listening to YMS

I don't think you know what "plot device" means.

I actually thing they toned it down purposedly.
Bellwhether's cause, if one draws parallels with current situation with aggressive, voracious minority prone to violence if presented right could have met with wide appeal and regarded as "Sup Forums: the movie".

No she is a great villain. We had old school villains for fucking 80 years.

Villains that actually suck are these angry manlet types. No threat and no twist.

>Kylo Ren
>Loki
>Shen from Kungfu Panda

>"Sup Forums: the movie".
Hell no. The movie was a good counterpoint to /pol /and tumblr bullshit.

Explain to me how Maleficent isn't a walking plot device.

>muh invitation!

Bellwether bothered me less than Hans/Callaghan since it felt like the main antagonistic force in the movie was the different forms racism can take and its effects, with her being only one aspect of this out of the others. It is a pretty SJW movie looked at in that way, honestly.

Frozen felt like it could've been done without villains at all and Big Hero 6 was just forgettable in general, but in Zootopia it worked well enough in terms of solving the case/adding more conflict to the film. It sorta felt like the climax was too easily overcome by the heroes though.

I really am interested in seeing if Disney will have a villain in the future who isn't over-the-top evil or a SHOCKING TWIST, though. Both seem pretty played out by this point.

The only twist villain that Disney did right was King Candy.

>Kylo Ren
>Loki
>Shen from Kungfu Panda

Don't all three of those losers have motives that basically boil down to "I HATE YOU DAD!" or some shit? That's the real problem.

I would have liked to explore Bellwether's motives a bit more, but I liked her more than Hans.

But since she's so cute, I'll forgive her for anything.

Right. But angsty "teens" aren't scary. They are sad and pathetic. (Usually weaker than the anyone of the heroes)
They even make fun of them in the middle of the movies. They could work as mid tier henchmen, tho.

There are two ways to make your villain interesting. Give them a reasonable goal that has bad consequences and has to be stopped by the heroes.
Or go for the classic villain who seems unbeatable until the end. The villain serves here as a device to let the heroes shine,

The "angsty teen" villain are maybe hated by the audience but you don't care about the character and his motives (daddy never loved me, baw) but you get annoyed that he doesn't get beaten up in the first 5 minutes.

Is touching a sheeps wool like touching a black mans afro?

>Kylo Ren

I don't care if this will be explained in further movies or expanded material, Abrhams should have explained in more depth why Ben is Kylo in the film, not in some fucking interview

That was the intent