So now that Geoff Johns (and and other guy we dont care about) is in charge of the DCEU...

So now that Geoff Johns (and and other guy we dont care about) is in charge of the DCEU, what are our hopes and expetations?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/name/nm0000229/
boxofficemojo.com/people/?view=Producer&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gbuBFMmoE74
vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No Rise of the Seven Seas.

That Zack Snyder starts hearing the word "No" a shit load more than he has for the past 6 years.

It's the best thing that's happened to DCEU.
It's a shame that it's already too late.

Pls fix GL

Expect Batman to get the Stannis treatment.

I am expecting batm Os and Superman Os for breakfast

He's too flabby. He needs to start working out so he can beat Snyder in a push up contest.

Johns is the big boy now.

Expect Snyder to have to do pushups everytime he has a stupid opinion for everyones amusement.

Watch Snyder be more swole than he ever has before.

No he doesn't, because Snyder answers to him now. The cabal is dissolved, and Johns and Berg are calling the shots now.

Reposting for anons who may not have heard the news.

Looks like a pushover

Probably why Berg has been elevated alongside him. Johns will be the autist, and Berg will be the one who speaks up for him and calls Snyder the stupid fucking shit he is every time he opens his mouth.

Better than let Snyder fuck DC over.

>people still think Snyder won't have the final say in everything

WB exces FUCKIN LOVE him and will do anything to please him

I expect people to learn "the other guy" name when they start accusing him to be the cause of all the problems because no way their little precious Cereal Meme King could make mistakes.

Not so much after BvS.

If he suck then he suck no need to protect the guy.

This
I liked BvS quite a bit, but Zack needs a leash like crazy. Have Geoff moderates his ideas and Affleck his directing, and we might be alright.

No, he has to go after JL part1, let the others continue the work.

I think you're right, but they probably still want to do something about that audience reception. And since they don't really know what makes funnybook movies good or bad, maybe they're open to the opinion to someone who knows.

Trying to fix things by adding more and more producers is such a corporate approach to solving an artistic problem.

If you're going to do a line of movies, someone has to be in charge. Everyone knows Kevin Feige is in charge of the Marvel movies and he has the power to shape the direction of the franchise. I don't think anyone knows who's in charge of the DC movies and taking power away from Snyder will just make that worse.

They love him, thats why they just took a person who was his equal and made him his superior. Because they love him that much. Shit like this doesn't happen when everything is copasetic. They happen when people realize that things are amiss, and need to change. Now, there is a chance he still has the final say, but if he does, WB is completely run by monkeys. The interesting thing is, the article mentions the possibility of a new hire at a senior level. Maybe Tsujihara better start buying boxes to pack his shit. Maybe he doesn't need to, but it says to me that people are not happy with how things have been going, and whether because of this move, or others that come down the road, they are done because circumstances as they currently stand are unsatisfactory.

Thats literally what this is though

Jon and Johns are the heads of DC Films

Meh. Zack is still on Justice League 1, and you'd have to be autistic to think he won't do Justice League 2 and the current Snyderverse won't affect the rest of the DCEU. Putting someone in charge doesn't change any of that.

What they need to do is cut their losses and start over, and take their time instead of rushing to play catch up.

> I don't think anyone knows who's in charge of the DC movies and taking power away from Snyder will just make that worse.
That's what they're doing here though.
>This move is part of a broader refinement of executive roles at Warners, which has suffered a disappointing run of movies and has vexed producers and filmmakers, some of whom complain about a murky greenlight process.

>Now, instead of a broad range of movies to oversee, executives will be charged with managing “genre streams" while reporting to Warner Bros. Pictures president Greg Silverman. In many cases, these streams formalize interests and specialties for specific executives. Courtenay Valenti, for example, will now oversee all Lego projects as well as the Harry Potter line that begins with November's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Senior production execs Jesse Ehrman and Niija Kuykendall will focus more on comedy/family and sci-fi/action, respectively, according to sources.

I don't care about movies, so this just means that he will write less now.

That means less than you think it does. Johns and Berg will be sending notes (that according to reports, Nolan should have been sending on the last two movies and didn't), but they won't be directing and the Snyders did in fact bankroll development of these movies - there's no big rush to sideline either of them, which would involve buying them out at incredibly high cost. Their movies will continue as planned - they just won't be asked to make any more after the current lot run out five years from now.

In particular, it's worth noting that Geoff Johns was an executive producer on BvS - it didn't turn out the way it did in spite of him any more than Green Lantern did. His involvement was a contributory factor. Berg sounds like Affleck's guy though why they're so hell bent on a difficult star with limited box office draw is beyond me; he can make all the arthouse shit and Jersey Girl sequels he wants but he'll never even be Tom Cruise big.

What this sounds like is not so much Warner Bros. settling in for the long run as competing elements of Warner Bros. trying to build little empires for themselves. You've got the old DCE crowd represented in the form of Johns, you've got Affleck's mob moving in from outside (and it's again important to note that Berg worked on BvS, so we're not talking about anybody who's coming at this with a fresh set of ideas), you've got the wider corporate structure flailing around trying to make sense of it all. It isn't just BvS that has failed recently - that "murky greenlight structure" could mean just about anything, but it's again probably to do with power games in WB. It goes a lot deeper than movies about closeted homosexuals wrasslin each other.

Don't expect anything to be resolved any time soon. From the sound of this the same people are involved and if anything the infighting is set to go on and on well beyond the end of the decade.

>I don't care about movies
Why are you on this board?

I've already been on the record that Johns is problematic within the context of movies. He was thrilled when GL was getting released, and was described as shocked to see the negative reaction to BvS. It's astounding considering that within TV he writes the best episodes of DC TV going back to Smallville. I've argued that he works best in serialized media such as issues and TV. Cramming an arc into a 2-3 hour time frame has not worked well for him IMO. I am hoping that he will be the one who preserves the spirit and tone of the characters moreso than they have been thus far, and Berg acts as the one who brings a familiarity with telling stories well within the time frame a movie places on filmmakers and storytelling.

>BvS that has failed
god I love memes

Johns was EP on BvS, it still turned out the way it did. Christopher Nolan was EP, it turned out the way it did.

These people sleep on the job and get rewarded.

He was "shocked" because we all know it's a good movie, it just isn't the type of movie critics expect capeshit to be.

>Evans autist incoming

He thought that BvS and the Reynolds GL movie were good.

Ah. It seems the SIDF has arrived.

I mean, John's isn't going to come out and say "Wow guys, the movie is a disaster, don't go to see it."

What would it take for WB or some other company to poach Feige from Disney?

>I've argued that he works best in serialized media such as issues and TV. Cramming an arc into a 2-3 hour time frame has not worked well for him
That really doesn't work out much when you consider that his standalone episodes were great at less than an hour.

EP and Advisor means fucking nothing to the movie.

And he's "shock", of course, he can not say that it suck just as everyone predict. Fucking Affleck, Nolan and everyone that involved in it know that it will except for the Snyders and fucking Tsujihara.

/thread

>WE ONLY CARE ABOUT THE AUDIENCE GUYZ

Either the transition is too fast, or not fast enough.

Either way, It'll be a rough couple of years until it starts working.

Johns is mainly a writer, he's done most of his best work writing under other people's supervision (editors in comics, producers in TV). Whether he has the skills to tell other people how to write is another question. Some writers become good editors or good producers, but we don't know yet if he's one of them.

People forbet Producer can mean anything.

Bryke were producers of the Shamalan film
They literally had nothing to do with it.

Moa are proucers on Big Hero 6, they didnt even know it existed.

Johns as cco tends to get producer roles in all dc products it doesnt mean he is innvolved.

This pronotion as head of the whole studio gives him real power not a glorofied dc wiki

Yes it does, because he writes episodes like he writes an issue. He can't do that with a movie though. For those he has to write an entire arc, which he has shown a tough time doing or judging well if his endorsements are sincere and not damage control.

Exactly. As part of the cabal he can be ignored. As a head of the division however he can demand his wishes and concerns be heard and acted upon.

I don't care what he does, so long as we get a Legion of Super-Heroes TV series out of it.

>Don't you mean movie?
>implying
The Legion would never work as a movie. It'd be a shallow cameo-fest at best. Serialization is best for a series with such a large cast.

>everything is falling apart
>people still defend this
Is there a fanbase in more denial than this?

X-fags.

>Legion of Super-Heroes

Will you hipsters ever stop about it? People aren't impressed.

Comicbook or movie?

Lanterns, Lanterns everywhere

Comics. Movie aren't far enough with "l-look at these positive reviews! they shouldn't release movie that close to Civil War!"

Finally, Bleez on big screen.
*far away, even

How the fuck are the Legion hipster?

>OH SHIT, SOMEONE LIKES A THING! BETTER SHITPOST!

this

>Geoff in charge of movies
Okay.
>Geoff having less time for comics
Fuck. I don't care about this movie fad. Just give me good books.

The book or the show?

Because only a little vocal minority cares about them?

It's a comic series that has been existing since the silver age
It's not exactly an Indy title that nobody would never had heard of.

At worst Legion is cult following by fanboys, and there is nothing nerdier than that.

What if by doing this Geoff is allowed to greenlight tons more comic ideas cause of how much more he's making DC in movies.
What if he helps bring back DC cosmic stuff like LEGION
Or small time stuff like Prez or maybe Challengers of the Unknown or Plastic Man get to have more mini series or full fledge ongoings.

What if Geoff gets all the free actions figures and DC movie merch he could possibly handle, and decides to make a stop motion DC movie using figures.

I don't know. Snyder is still running JL, so I am very skeptical. If Johns is DC-Feige, then great. But until Snyder and his wife are gone, I'll remain wary.

100%. What I will say though is that admittedly according to El Mayimbe, who has echoed Faraci's scoops while adding some of his own, the script for JL is supposedly being rewritten on set on a daily basis.

Now maybe WB knew they were going to do this weeks ago. Maybe it is something they've only decided on after seeing CW's success compared to BvS's disappointing reception, but while JL has been filming for a month, if the script is as variable as EM says, Johns and Berg might be cutting the shit out of it as we speak. Perhaps they were chosen because WB gave them the tentative JL script, asked them what they thought, and they made similar recommendations, or were just able to suggest doing something different that WB liked. JL will almost assuredly be tainted with the same shit that ruined MoS and BvS for me, but hopefully there is a chance it may be significantly diminished, and perhaps it may be potentially salvaged into something not as bad as its predecessors were.

Well there goes any hopes of him writing an ongoing comic book ever again. He's the architect behind Rebirth and he seems to absolutely no involvement in it apart from the one shot. And I don't think he's ever been good at one-in-dones.

>He's the architect behind Rebirth and he seems to absolutely no involvement in it apart from the one shot.
You mean other than being the one who goes over story proposals with each of the creative teams for every book to make sure they have the spirit and tone Rebirth is supposed bring back to DC publishing, right?

This sadly. The next movie could be good, but the damage is done. Audience have already been burned twice, and the foundations of this universe are already shit

We know what characters Geoff likes. We know he's the one in charge to bring them back. But he doesn't. He just sits on them. That's why we never got a Shazam book, or a 4th world book, or why it took so long for Cyborg's solo.

I'm partially excited for Rebirth. I want it to be good, but I expect it to just be the same. They fucked up DCYou by focusing on the wrong B-list characters, and now we're only going to get A-list characters and more Snyder-run Bat-stuff.

Anyone think the author of Flashpoint would be ballsy enough to make the Flash solo a reboot for the entire universe?

Ok but we have 6 issues worth of solicitations for some books and nothing seems drastically different.

This is kind of my concern.

I have no doubts that Johns knows what's best for these movies, but I have a hard time picturing him being assertive and telling Snyder off. I think he'll feel out of place among Hollywood big shots

They literally CANNOT reboot their movie franchise. The audience simply would lose all interest.

>I think he'll feel out of place among Hollywood big shots
Never forget that he used to be Donner's PA, and maintains a significant relationship with him. If/when Johns feels overwhelmed, I'd like to believe he'd reach out to Donner for advice.

This is just sad at this point

If they continue it without changing a thing the same thing will probably happen. If they "fix the universe" but don't retcon anything, people might complain about tonal whiplash. Like Batman Begins initially doing mediocre due to being overshadowed by the reputation of Batman and Robin however, it was good, and gave people what they wanted out of a Batman movie, which led to good word of mouth, and the entire trilogy being the most profitable use of superhero IP in WB's history. People came back for that, and I would wager that they'd come back for movies about DC characters in a shared universe that make them feel good and hopeful.

>it's worth noting that Geoff Johns was an executive producer on BvS - it didn't turn out the way it did in spite of him any more than Green Lantern did.

No it's not note-worthy in any way. Executive producer is a blanket term. You think Stan Lee has any input in Marvel movies? Have you seen the 155 producing credit Steven Spielberg has?

imdb.com/name/nm0000229/

Yet they're the top 2 producers in total domestic gross

boxofficemojo.com/people/?view=Producer&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.html

When Geoff Johns is credited as executive producer for a lot of the past DC movies. It's because the directors and writers probably go to him for questions about certain characters.

He's not really in charge though
He's still reporting to diane nelson which tells me he's doing the same thing

Of course he is. She is the one who oversees all of DC. Feige has people he answers to, but he is the one who runs all Marvel Cinematic Productions. Even the article compares them.

Make everything look and feel like pre-52 DC.

Daily reminder that Superman tried to stop Snyder and couldn't
youtube.com/watch?v=gbuBFMmoE74
Daily reminder that Batman and the Cereal Lord are going to be the ones to actually do it

better than zack synder

good news to me

Johns has written a handful of outstanding books but I don't exactly trust him to put out quality content consistently
Plus he fucking liked GL and BvS

cause this is Sup Forums not Sup Forums

BLACKEST NIGHT ADAPTION WHEN?

He had barely anything to do with GL or BvS. BvS he put his name there for some promotional material and GL he just changed the villain's name from Legion to Parallax.
You can easily tell that GL isn't written even close to the style that Johns has. It goes without question that BvS isn't either. I doubt he'll be able to salvage JL, but I'm pretty optimistic for the distant future of DC Films for the first time in a while.

man of murder is so fucking incompetent. why did jor el even bother saving him. they could just die together with there shitty planet and there shitty people

As demonstrated by Ben Affleck and his people slowly gaining more control over his projects.

vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html
SNYDER'S GONNA FREAK

Because Sup Forums is easy to bait.

>Just 12 hours after word came down about a major managerial shakeup with Warner Bros.’ DC Comics-based superhero flicks, DC’s chief creative officer, Geoff Johns, strode into a sunlit conference room in a midtown Manhattan office building and greeted a small group of geeky journalists. Though he showed up late (and apologized profusely for it), his reputation preceded him: In the past two decades, he’s gone from comics fan to comics writer, then to being one of the leaders in DC’s very lucrative expansions into gaming, film, and television. He’s not yet a household name, but Johns has loomed large in entertainment’s superhero boom.

>Now, in a move that made total sense to the reporters at the intimate gathering, Johns is apparently about to gain even more influence. The previous night’s report, broken by The Hollywood Reporter, outlines how Johns will be one of two people (the other being Warner executive vice president Jon Berg) in charge of a newly formed entity called DC Films, which will oversee future movies about Superman, Batman, the Flash, and other beloved properties.

>He said he couldn’t confirm the story, but that “you can connect the dots.” Even though he declined to directly address that topic, he was more than willing to talk about where he thinks the DC brand needs to go. One phrase came out of his mouth over and over again: “hope and optimism.” Though Johns would never speak ill of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or its director, Zack Snyder — Johns is nothing if not loyal to the company that made him a star — it’s crystal clear that his vision for DC looks a lot brighter than the much-maligned grimness Snyder provided earlier this year.

>That said, he’s currently taking a break from writing comics for a while.

Looks like hit the bullseye

Sadly this, if the shift in management had happened after Man of Steel, the DCEU would've been saved.

But BvS was so much of a collosal bomb, the DCEU is a lost cause at this point:

Johns has slowly gotten more and more "power" at WB and the movies keep getting worse

I seriously doubt this will amount to anything unless Snyder and his wife are fired.

I don't know why anyone would be excited for someone who has a large hand in the dumpster fire that is modern DC comics and the shitty lowest common denominator television adaptations.

N52 has been great since 2013

Snyder and his wife are the tumors that are killing DC movies.

>based cereal god will save us from the nightmare snyder brought
>based batfleck taking over the solo batman movie
I disliked MoS and hated BvS, but I can hold on to an extremely tiny modicum of hope for the future.

shush you sheep

amen

>I disliked MoS and hated BvS, but I can hold on to an extremely tiny modicum of hope for the future.
I second this

I certainly hope your IP count brings your already dubs confirmed comment a secondary blessing from the Hypercrisis. Truly watching the DCEU as it has been presented thus far has been painful for this DC fan.

>what are our hopes
the same as ever: that snyder and goyer get fired.