Why do filmmakers still do the "black bar" meme?

Why do filmmakers still do the "black bar" meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

redsharknews.com/post/item/4278-cropping-to-a-cinema-aspect-ratio-gives-the-impression-of-higher-resolution
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you wanna give more serious tone you need them

Good photography is everything.

This shit is so fucking annoying.

Just give me the full picture you greedy fucks.

eh I guess it makes sense to crop out some of the bottom and top for a better looking picture but still: I prefer to watch my movies in full screen and not with black bars

I never saw it as black bars but as rectangular footage with a black background

It's cinematic BRO

The black bars aren't added, you see black bars because your monitor/phone/tv isn't the right aspect ratio.

You see this? If it was filmed with the aspect ratio to fit your tv, lose the bars, you would see his nose and forehead which would take away from the main focus being his eyes.

>The black bars on the side
So is this because tv back in the 90s was made for smaller tvs and so our tv nowadays can't handle it in full screen?

>what are different lenses

I know Sup Forums doesn't understand filmmaking, but come on, man. If directors never used different aspect ratios, everything would still be 4:3 like the silent era.

the black bars help you concentrate on the picture more

ITT: failed memes

>the black bars help you concentrate on the picture more
tell that to the people who made the James Bond Blood Stone game. A lot of times people's faces get cut off and are to the edge of the screen due to the bloody black bars that cut out so much

Don't bring your thinkin around here boy.

Action movies or anything that wants to project a large scale opt for CinemaScope. If they want to go for widescreen but not that wide, they use 1.85:1, which is still a bit wider than 16:9.

Then pick a lense that's full screen and keep it like that

Besides, filming on a photographic Nikon camera gives you crystal clear beautiful cinematic vision anyway.

Filmmakers should film more on them

2.39 probably best fills out the field of view at the movie theater without having to force in too much vertical height.

>when the director knows what they are doing

Shoehorning in a letterbox effect does not work unless you know how to make a damn film.

Vidya isn't film and letterboxing vidya is always shit.

this. black bars makes focusing easier

>bought an ultra wide monitor so I could enjoy movies without the black bars
>forget that some movies are made in 16:9 along with YouTube
>black bars on each side instead

why not crop out everything but the eyes then? His pores are distracting

Leone shot faces like landscapes

>plebs think the bottom and top are cropped

fucking lmfao

Letterboxing
Increase the focus on the image. Smaller the screen, the less travel your eyes will do.

ok then why not his chin and the brim of his hat?

ultrawide monitor here.. can confirm

no it's because when you omit some of the picture by cutting it out with black bars your imagination fills in the gaps. it's like how 24fps is more cinematic and dreamlike than 60fps.

Doesn't it have anything to do with IMAX, isn"t the left pic the IMAX version?

Ultrawide monitor masterrace
If you watch a lot of movies is that aspect ratio, it's totally worth it

What are some movies with 3.00 and 4.00 rations

>mfw that sword flying over the letterbox in american gods

redsharknews.com/post/item/4278-cropping-to-a-cinema-aspect-ratio-gives-the-impression-of-higher-resolution

>tldr; It looks better

why not just shoot in anamorphic?

it's a pain to adjust for correction and barely improves image quality (like less than 5%)