What were engineers inittially suppossed to be?

What were engineers inittially suppossed to be?

Oldest thing I found: io9.gizmodo.com/5879560/everything-we-know-about-ridley-scotts-space-jockeys

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PitTXwbhx5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In the original aliens comics they were these giant space telepaths

ALLEGEDLY, Scott claimed for some time that the space jockey we saw was a suit.

This looks so much cooler than what we got.

>comics
FUCK
RIGHT
OFF

I remember one of the characters saying in the first alien "it looks like he grew out of the chair"

when I saw it for the first time I already knew a bit about Giger and figured the jockey was some mechanical / organic hybrid that is basically fused to the ship

Everybody praises that comic but I've read it. It wasn't that great.

Ridley is a hack. They were never supposed to be suits. These are the ancient fossilized remains of a lovecraftian creature.

>lovecraftian
Buzzword.

>Buzzword
buzzword virtue signal

>lovecraftian
no user, no.

Not gonna play that back and forth game. "Lovecraftian" is a meaningless word.

It isn't meaningless, it has simply developed a much broader meaning than it originally had. Kind of like how "American" used to be considered synonymous with "Anglo-Saxon" but now has broader scope. People still know roughly what you're talking about when you use Lovecraftian as a descriptor.

>Kind of like how "American" used to be considered synonymous with "Anglo-Saxon" but now has broader scope
But that's the problem. When you broaden the definition, it inevitably loses any definition at all. The meaning of "lovecraftian" has been diluted to the point that it has nothing in common with its origin. All it means now is "scary monster that we aren't given any exposition about".

>fossil is like 50 feet tall in Alien
>engineers are 15 feet max with their suits on

>tfw we now have 3-5 movies to explain the Space Jockey/Xenomorph origin when it wasn't needed.

I would've preferred if Ridley Scott just left the idea of Alien prequels alone. The idea of stumbling on these unknown entities without ever finding out where they came from, what their mission was, or why they had so many Xenomorph eggs on board a ship is infinitely more intriguing.

This is sometimes a bad thing, but in the case of "Lovecraftian" I don't mind because the original usage is so incredibly specific that it the word would never be used at all outside of discussions directly relating to Lovecraft's works. People adapting it to mean "weird aliens with creative designs" creates a word to describe something that previously had no one word to describe it, at the low cost of cannibalizing a word that was barely being used prior to that.

no, you cant call violas to all bowed instruments because the word viola is underused, you monumental faggot.

God that pic is a million times more weird and imaginative than Scott's entire ALIEN prequel saga.

This. Covenant left me feeling hollow. When I saw Alien for the first time, I loved the mystery of the xenomorph and how it seemed like this last remnant of a long-dead interstellar empire that was bigger and older than humans could even comprehend. But I guess the "alien" was actually just the result of some robot from Earth tinkering around for no reason. It made me feel the "force is midichlorians" feeling all over again. It was better not knowing. Much better.

original alien

Any new Alien movie should've been directed by Aronofsky. Say what you want about him, he knows how to bring an otherwordly atmosphere and narrative to these kinds of mythos.

Would've loved to have seen an Alien prequel where the motivations of the Engineers (who look like OP pic) are basically unknowable and incomprehensible to us. Imagine them just stalking around on their massive industrial ships and cultivating those damn eggs to some weird and bizarre end we may never truly understand.

I used to want to see them use this in some way in the future.

Are you all me? I always felt like there was something deeply flawed and disappointing about Prometheus and Covenant but you really encapsulated all my misgivings towards how they were handled.

>Killing the most believable and relatable character without any due time or story.

>Literally the most aesthetic figure on the entire new franchise reboot.

Fuck YOU Ridley Hack Scott.

thought they were just elephant men

I used to watch aliens once every few weeks, I fucking love it and the first. This didn't even feel like the same universe.
I sat there not caring about any of the characters, because they were some of the stupidest motherfuckers you can find. I don't even remember their names except for Tennessee for obvious reasons.

This still doesn't explain how the space ship crashed on LV-426, and it also made my wonder why they were terraforming LV-426 in Aliens when in this movie they were travelling 70 years to find a planet much like earth.

I can understand that as time progresses and technology advances, that humans are able to terraform almost anywhere, but this took me right out of a movie I wasn't really in to begin with.

I fear for the new Blade Runner

>Ancient unknowable alien that unleashes unbeatable death and sees humans as nothing but ants
Seems pretty Lovecraftian to me, or are you thinking that just means lol giant squid man?

Its the patrician opinion.

youtu.be/PitTXwbhx5U