What I liked about Man of Steel and BvS is that there's a clear progression of Superman's character/arc throughout the...

What I liked about Man of Steel and BvS is that there's a clear progression of Superman's character/arc throughout the course of the films... in MoS we see him as Clark Kent, a young itinerant worker who is lost and unsure of himself, then when he adopts the mantle of his Kryptonian ancestors he finally feels he has a purpose in his life. In BvS he sees himself as Kal-El, separate and distinct from humanity but still wanting to be a part of the world. I think by the time Justice League comes out, he will be the "Superman" we all know and love, no longer unsure of himself but fully confident.

Thoughts, Sup Forums? Please try to keep the discussion civil.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/M5X1Gd_iutc?t=1494
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>not muh superman
>man of murder
>tell that to zod's snapped neck
>dude ruined metropolis lmao
>i wanna hug and fug faora
>I WILL FIND HIM
>STOP INVINCIBLE SON
Does that cover everything?

OP here. You forgot

>BOYS! MMM

Snyder would be a perfect- PERFECT director for an Injustice storyline arc
He's fucking shit for the openers they've all done so far though and tonally fucked the DCU near singlehandedly
You start more lighthearted then go darker, not the other way around

It sucks man, but the good thing is that Superman Earth One Vol 1-3 is the Movies Superman done right.

No there damn sure is not. End of MoS he is upbeat and found peace. BvS he is depressed again and hates us and hates himself.

I liked Lex and will be disappointed if he's not in JL

>I just named these criticisms, therefore they are not legitimate

Because at the end of Man of Steel he hadn't begun to see the repercussions of what him being Superman and saving people had on the world you fucking moron

Name calling? Really?

Tired of plebs taking cheap digs at DC when they don't even bother to try to understand the films

Imo DC kinda fucked up with their cast. Look at marvel cinema universe characters, almost all of them look exactly like they do in the comics. DC somehow fails to cast people who look even remotely similar with the exception of Ben Affleck who looks exactly like the DC batmen everyone knows and loves.

>m-muh dark tone!

It was needed. It's called a story. Someone like superman sin't just accepted and neither wouuuld his life be one happy fest.

It had to be done.

>Henry Cavill doesn't look like superman
Look, a gay guy in hiding

>dark hair
>piercing eyes
>strong jawline
>big chest and shoulders
That pretty much checks all the boxes for Superman. I don't know what more you expect.

>I don't know what more you expect.

hair on top of his head

>Look at marvel cinema universe characters
I don't remember Starlord, Captain America, and Peter Parker in the comics being bald (Tom Holland in general is ugly). I don't remember Black Widow being an ugly jew. I don't I don't remember Hawkeye being ugly. I don't remember Drax being fat or Gomora being an uglier nigger. I'm struggling to think of more than 1 actor who looks comic accurate even then his costume is cheaper than every funnybook version I've seen.

>hair on top of his head
>t. projecting baldue

LITERALLY FLAWLESS

You're an enormous faggot, and your so called friends and your family can barely contain their disgust for you.

He's right. Henry Cavill looks like Superman drawn by Jim Lee so you can go fuck yourself with your hot opinions faggot

>it's a capekino thread

>by the time Justice League comes out, he will be the "Superman" we all know and love

Hopefully, based Joss will get us there.

>I think by the time Justice League comes out, he will be the "Superman" we all know and love, no longer unsure of himself but fully confident.
shame that they aren't producing any DCEU films that aren't already in the process of filming. it's the batman cinematic universe now, friend.

>I don't know what more you expect.

An identifiable amount of charisma

It's kind of hard to empathize with Superman's inner journey when he only has two expressions - "mild rectum ache" and "grr, note my furrowed brow I am ANGRY" and only 42 lines of dialogue in a 2.5 hour movie

bin-al afflecki is now part of the alt-right?

brainlet

Take your civility, roll it up really tight, and push it up your cock.

acting ability and character you flaming homo. I guess we finally got to the bottom of what DCfags really like about these movies

Is it just me, or the DCEU haters getting particularly nasty in the wake of WW?

I don't think it's so much he sees himself as Kal-El as it is he's trying to find the best way to serve humanity. His Kryptonian heritage is part of who he is, and he's aware of it, but like he says in MoS - "Krypton had its chance." Clark considers himself a bridge between two peoples, and given the actions of the people of his world, he's struggling to make amends for the destruction they visited upon his adopted planet.

Clark spends most of BvS ducking out on the limelight as best a flying man can, largely because he's uncomfortable in that spotlight and still suffering from feelings of guilt over the destruction and loss of life that occurred in the Battle of Metropolis, but he's discovering that he can't remain a sort of "silent angel" that just swoops in and saves the day because it's leading people to see him less as a hero and more as a god.

His return is likely to feature him realizing that to dispel his own growing aura of godhood, he's going to have to adopt some form of public persona that goes beyond just putting on the uniform. He's got to alter his approach and as a result, become more approachable.

It's sinking in that the DCEU isn't going anywhere, and they are very pissed off.

They're nervous

Ben Affleck

not arguments

this is a good post, 10/10 analysis.

The final boss was a CGI mess.

Same was said for Doomsday, and I was pumped during the BvS final battle. Same can be said for the monster enemies of Marvel too; the aliens on Avengers 1, Ultron, ect. It's a non-flaw in the modern age. What, you expected a guy in a suit and wirework?

One of the things I like about them including his death arc is how it brings all the god-making stuff to a head-on collision with his return. Clark's going to be left with no choice but to find a way to humanize Superman when he returns, because if he thinks fighting off godhood was a problem before, wait till he sees how people react to him coming back from the dead.

Something I've really been curious about is the two coffins thing. In the comics, "Superman" was buried while Clark was "lost" in the rubble and presumed dead. They very distinctly buried them both in the movie, and I hope that means we're going to get a nod to one of the cooler story arcs from Silver Age Superman as well as references to "Rein of the Superman" and even the confrontation that went down in "Superman III."

All cgi that is a focal point is a mess. Find me an example where this isnt the case

>le epic rescuer of kittens from trees

People like you are why Superman is boring.

Not even memeing. If we don't get some future shot of Clark lifting a kid up to rescue their own kitten, I'm going to be a little disappointed.

i agree with this, i read the injustice comics the other day and the tone isn't far off from MoS and BvS

>heavy handed jesus symbolism
>reactionary character, not proactive
>doesn't actually go through an arc, just changes from lost to depressed
>I need to wait for two movies to actually see a decent Superman
>the "decent Superman" is probably going to get less screen time and lines than the boring Superman

I don't, because I don't feel like they're going from darker to lighter. I feel like they're going from more grounded to more comic book. MoS is very much Superman in Nolan's world. BvS is the dark place where the transition occurs, JL is like to be full-on comic book, which doesn't mean lighter. It means more vibrant, with brighter brights and darker darks.

How about the fact that Snyder's Superman is the only real human character in a genre exploded with snarky quipbot MCs?

It's certain irony that in a genre about ordinary people being granted extraordinary powers, the one superhero I can relate to is the one about the alien demigod. Maybe it's the fact that we see the isolation Clark endurs and the impact it has on his character. Or him having to bear witness to becoming an icon of worship to many while in heart being an ordinary boy from Kansas. Or maybe it's his actions having good intentions but at times disastrous results. Snyder's Superman is full of contrast and character, which makes it all the more fascinating and unique.

While most superhero films only barely touch on the full implications of being granted superpowers, Snyder approaches the subject with full sincerity and comes out strengthening the icon all the more. The Day of the Dead segment told us more about Superman and the world Superman inhabits (our world) than many entire trilogies manage to do. Critics can't cope with a film that treats its superheroes seriously. They've become very comfortable in comfortable superheroes, who do little wrong and whose actions rarely come with grave consequences.

>heavy handed jesus symbolism
there were 2 Jesus symbols in the entire movie. And its not really heavy handed when you have your main character die and the whole point is that he isn't Jesus. Its like you just saw the jesus imagery and then turned your brain off and refused to even entertain WHY it was there or what it was trying to say.
>reactionary character, not proactive
But thats all superheroes. Thats like being mad that firefighters are too reactionary. Also, outside of Superman's existence being a main thrust, both Lex and Batman are very very proactive and Superman goes around just saving people of his own volition just cause he is a good guy.

>doesn't actually go through an arc
what? Yes he does. Its even mentioned in the very OP you are replying to dummy.

>I need to wait for two movies to actually see a decent Superman
You already had two movies of a great superman.

A proactive Superman would make him a fascist, a central theme of BvS and why Superman is more comfortable in being reactionary rather than "proactive" which can very well be translated into ruler. His nightmare is having being seen as a ruler. He's below mankind, below the law. In contrast there is Batman, a broken man above the law.

The genius of BvS is how well it adresses the critics without the critics even realizing it.

MoS was a deconstruction of Superman in the vein of Nolan's deconstruction of Batman.
BvS was the beginning of a reconstruction. The world is "real" and "dark," but Superman himself stays optimistic and committed to the tropes of a superhero. Batman kills (like he has in every other film iteration) but this time its explicitly stated as a bad thing and he changes to a more heroic, reconstructed version of the Batman character by the end.

you are right, but id like to point out that Batman and Superman have the same fear of each other throughout. They both fear the other will become judge, jury, and executioner while being too detached from humanity.

And then they both realize that they are just trying to do the same goddamn thing, help people.

i only meant the part about the injustice tone. superman reacts like a person rather than a trope (although he becomes comically evil later on)

This is why I don't understand people who say Snyder's version is too edgy.

On the fucking contrary. By him putting these superheroes in a real world, he justifies them moreso than any other director of the genre. They're no longer fantastical things in fantastical worlds where everything works out miracously. They have to justify their existences in our world, and they do just that. And it makes Snyder's version all the more optimistic as it becomes clear that these superheroes can very well fit in our modern culture.

By some absurd series of events, Snyder became his very own Superman. Hated for the wrong reasons.

Motherfucker looks like a Greek God. How is it even possible to luck out the genetic lottery this well?

>that time he bought all the Batman shirts in a store so that other shoppers would only have the option to buy Superman shirts
>that time he posted a white nationalist painting to celebrate England beating Australia in rugby
>that time he bragged about buying Fallout 4
His instagram is insane

Except for you know, the hair

>that time he bought all the Batman shirts in a store so that other shoppers would only have the option to buy Superman shirts
mad man

His hair is perfectly fine for someone his age. Nobody cares about this as much as you do. Which is sad.

Henry you dont have to get so butthurt m8

Nice counter you dumb fuck.

Chris Pratt has been hiding the fuck out of his hairline since Guardians 1, why does Cavill get so much shit?

Because he's DC actor. That's it. Cuck Evans have very obvious hairplugs but it never gets mentioned anywhere. Cavill gets picked on because he's the human form of a Greek God.

>there were 2 Jesus symbols in the entire movie. And its not really heavy handed when you have your main character die and the whole point is that he isn't Jesus.
Three in MOS, Stain Glass window, the cross symbol as he falls, and the fact that he is 33 in the movie

He has 3 in BvS too, and they all just demonstrate how heavy handed Zack gets in his efforts to portray him as either a savior or a martyr. It's lazy.
>but thats all superheroes.
Don't be dumb. I said he was a reactionary character, not a reactionary superhero.

As in, he doesn't move the plot forward. He just lets shit happen to him.

>what? Yes he does. Its even mentioned at the OP
I know he said that he did. Doesn't mean he's right.

Clark just changes. There isn't any actual organic development. He's a hallow piece of the chessboard, going to the motions of the plot.
>You already had two movies of a great superman.
Yeah. The first Donner movies with the OG himself.

Doesn't excuse the fact that the films made by Snyder have terrible a Superman that barely talks as is

See
Your whining has already been debunked numerous times. Now you're just mad that Superman isn't saving kittens from trees.

>And its not really heavy handed when you have your main character die
And resurrect

Like, ya know, Jesus...

But the entire point of BvS is that the Jesus imagery is shit people push on Superman, not something that he's actually aspiring to. I mean, holy shit, they literally explain it in the film: "The fact is, maybe he's not a devil or a Jesus character, maybe he's a guy trying to do the right thing."
Could not beat you over the head with it any harder, and you still managed to ignore it.

Isn't funny? BvS dedicates a whole segment literally spelling out to audiences what Superman means to man and they still miss the point and get triggered when he is symbolized as a divine figure by those observing him.

It's the greatest pleb filter of our time. And it will be the last seeing how things are going with the genre.

Funny because none of those really touched upon my points. I even corrected the fact that they skewed the meaning of "proactive character", as a proactive hero.

Plus, the fuck is wrong with Superman saving a car from a tree?

The entire point of him doing that is to show how no problem is too little for him to solve, despite his status and strength.

It's a small goody two-shoe thing that shows us that he's still humble

>Three in MOS, Stain Glass window, the cross symbol as he falls, and the fact that he is 33 in the movie

but we are talking about BvS user.... and the cross symbol was more a reference to Superman Returns (pic related) and the 33 was a reference to Donner who first popularized the SUPERMAN IS JESUS thing.
>As in, he doesn't move the plot forward. He just lets shit happen to him.
What? He chooses to go to the senate, he chooses to confront Batman, his choice to save Lois is what kicks off everything, he chooses to talk to Batman the second time instead of killing him, he chooses to put himself in harms way to save the world.... I could go on.
>Clark just changes. There isn't any actual organic development.
So now you are moving the goal posts? From not developments at all to them not being organic? It was pretty organic user, he changed in reaction to events that he experience and even went to the mountain top to meditate and think about what lessons he should learn. Like its some of the most humanely portrayed character development ive seen in a big blockbuster.
>Yeah. The first Donner movies with the OG himself.
But he wasnt the OG? In fact Donner was the first one to really hammer away to jesus analogues and changed a lot about Superman and Krypton to fit his vision for the movie. And even then, the parts he did take from the comics were from the Silver Age (explicitly stated as much by Donner himself) which is in no way the OG Superman. It is not the "original" Superman of the golden age, nor the popular, longer running post-crisis Superman.
Good job revealing your pleb though.

*cat

>I even corrected the fact that they skewed the meaning of "proactive character", as a proactive hero.

No, you just moved the goal posts and willfully ignored most of the movie.
>The entire point of him doing that is to show how no problem is too little for him to solve, despite his status and strength.

They showed that though. Pic related. Try paying attention to the movie next time.

He hasnt even been resurrected yet, and if you really want to blame someone for superman dying and returning blame Dan Jurgens, he wrote the comic that did it first.

Because your points are nonsensical and boils down to "why isn't he acting like a Marvel guy" when we've already explained to you that in a world that acts as ours, Superman doesn't have the luxury of saving cats out of trees or being a naive smiling fool. He's good, he's kind and he's humble. But he harbors no delusions on the faces of reality. Anything else would paint him as ill fit to bear the cape of Superman.

>mfw i see an atheist materialist say BvS is bad

>those five fives
>that knowledge dropped
Fucking five star post friend.

are there 4k screenshots of this scene? Hard to read a lot of that text.

youtu.be/M5X1Gd_iutc?t=1494

skip to 24:50.

>But we are talking about BvS user
Yeah, which I posted about right below my points on MoS, which you ignored
>What? He chose to go to the senate, he chooses to confront Batman
He had to go to the senate to explain himself, on their behest. He was forced to confront Batman because of blackmail, and he was forced to defend himself when Batman attacked him. He intimidates Batman earlier on, but Batman goes along anyhow and steals the Kryptonite regardless.

I'm not stating that Superman was some cardboard cutout that doesn't do anything, the movie is based around the world's reactions to his very existence, and he beat the "bad guy" at the end of both movies. But that he, through his own actions, doesn't drive the plot.
>fist from no developments at all to them not being organic
Did you even read my first point?

I said he didn't have an arc, and then I specifiec that he just changed without any organic character progression. Atleast read what I said, because you've have been doing this a lot.
>But he wasn't the OG?
*facepalm*
OG as in Original Gangsta'.

It's slang

When Superman saves the child from the burning apartments, he is surrounded by dead people embracing him, even worshipping him. But Superman doesn't happily take it all with a smile. In fact, he reluctantly turns his head away in what appears to be him feeling some sort of dread or pain.

I think this is Superman realizing that he is surrounded "by the dead". That he is so different from them, they will know death, he will not. Maybe it's even part shame, knowing that our fates are set in stone while his isn't. A God among men. But he also desires to be one of us.

In his fight against Batman, Batman says "you don't know what it means to be brave. Men are brave". And this is true to some extent. An immortal God figure cannot be brave as there is no risk involved. "It's time you learn what it means to be a man" means coming face to face with death, which is what separates Superman from man. If he can't do that, then he cannot be brave and he cannot be man.

This dilemma of death is eventually adressed in the climax of the film, as he comes to terms with his own mortality, and pays the ultimate price of a human being. Superman becomes man. Superman overcomes the final trial. And that is accepting his own death. And this is when Batman finally recognizes Superman as man.

Bravo Snyder

>No, you just moved goalposts
Is it moving goalpost when you correct people that misquoted you?

Because if so...
>pic related
>They showed that though
Small portions of a newspaper that people can't see even in a screencap? Sure, same thing. nice one

And then he goes off to fight a cave troll of Moria.

>I think this is Superman realizing that he is surrounded "by the dead". That he is so different from them, they will know death, he will not. Maybe it's even part shame, knowing that our fates are set in stone while his isn't. A God among men. But he also desires to be one of us.
More like they THINK that he's different from them, when he isn't really. Which depresses him

This is another cunning part of BvS - how it uses Batman as vehicle to humanize Superman, bring him down from his seat of power to that of begging another man to save his mother from being burned alive. It's not only Superman that saves Batman, it's Batman that redeems Superman in the eyes of the viewer. Trials if you so will. I see it as Snyder finally putting a nail in the coffin of Superman being regarded as "indestructible and boring".

Makes perfect thematic sense for Superman's destruction being a ghost from his past.

BvS is incomplete without the Doomsday fight. It thus lacks the final punch of Superman's humanization in the eyes of Batman and by extension the viewers. .

>I'm not stating that Superman was some cardboard cutout that doesn't do anything, the movie is based around the world's reactions to his very existence, and he beat the "bad guy" at the end of both movies. But that he, through his own actions, doesn't drive the plot.
*sigh*
This thread is going to miss the point of this isn't it?

Not really, it's just a shallow punching shitfest to get the fans to ejaculate over the latest CGI.

Already explained to you why it isn't and you're still pissing butthurt ass blood. Are you here simply for the sake of pretending to be illiterate?

>5 references spread out across 2 movies (2 of which are just references to other movies) is heavy handed symbolism

Ahahaha what? Is that really what you are trying to argue now?

>He had to go to the senate to explain himself, on their behest.
So? He still chose to go for his own reasons to explain himself. He didn't have to, and almost chose not to, but his conversation with Lois made him change his mind. Is a choice less meaningful because someone asked you to make it? Is Frodo's choice to take the ring less because the council wanted someone to take it?
>He was forced to confront Batman because of blackmail,
Not the first time he wasn't user, did you even watch the movie?
>and he was forced to defend himself when Batman attacked him.
But he didnt? When Batman first attacks him, all he does is destroy the turrets attacking him. And really? You are going to argue about a character defending themselves? By your logic Captain America is entirely reactive because throughout Winter Soldier he is reacting to an attack.

>He intimidates Batman earlier on, but Batman goes along anyhow and steals the Kryptonite regardless.
Yes, because it was part of Lex's plan for Batman to steal the kryptonite. The entire point of the confrontation is that Superman gives Batman a chance to just retire, consequence free, but Batman doesnt listen and continues to steal the kryptonite. The point wasnt for Superman to say something and for Batman to listen 100%.

1/2

>DC threads

>in depth discussion, well-thought out analysis of writing, cinematography, genuine debate

>Marvel threads

>DUDE QUIPS LMAO WHO HERE /HYPE/ FOR INFINITY WAR

The only thing good about these films is the visuals and the fight scenes, and they are amazing imo. The problems with all these DC films are the writing and character development. There is one simple trick the studio can do to remedy this. They need to ask themselves honestly "Powers aside, would it be fun or interesting to hang out with the character". Superman is a depressed buff guy. This is precisely what Tim Burton did right about the original Batman, he made Batman intriguing, interesting, we didn't learn everything about him, a lot was left to mystery. With Nolan's joker we see a psychopath that might do anything at any time, we don't know. It leaves you with a feeling of unpredictability and interest. What will happen? This is exciting. With Snyder's films there is nothing interesting about these characters, they are like warm milk. They are cliches or are just boring. Nobody gives a shit. The only slightly interesting character was Batman but it was mostly just in the way he fought in that one fight scene, otherwise he was also kind of luke warm. They need to really focus on character interaction. If they do that, DC will take off.

> But that he, through his own actions, doesn't drive the plot.

What are you talking about? How can you get this? He only becomes Superman because of his own actions and his own desires. Zod only comes when he does because of Superman's actions. The entirety of BvS is about how every action Superman does, like saving people, causes all these reactions and thus drives the plot forward. Superman decides to go the senate hearing (which he didnt have to go to) and thus causes all of these unforseen things to happen thus driving the plot. Superman decides to give Batman a chance to surrender, thus causing Batman to double down on his anger, and pushing Batman to have the Knightmare, thus continuing the plot. Superman decides to investigate Bruce in Gotham, leading to his decision to force Batman into retirement. Superman chooses talk to Batman instead of kill him. Superman chooses to trust Batman to save his mom. Hell, it opens with Superman choosing to save Lois and thus causing Lex's plan to start.
He makes lots of choices and pushes the plot forward plenty, but other characters do too and there is nothing wrong with that.

>Did you even read my first point?
Did you? Here it is quoted ">doesn't actually go through an arc, just changes from lost to depressed" That literally sayis "doesn't actually go through an arc" which you then changed to saying it wasnt organic enough to count.
>OG as in Original Gangsta'.
No shit you fucking idiot. But what do you think "original" in original gangster means? The entire point of that slang is that you are saying you are the original, the first, the definition of gangster, so you are saying OG Superman is the first, the definition of, Superman. But I'm telling you Donner Superman is none of those.

also

>*facepalm*
Really? Go back to re-ddit please.

>it's just a shallow punching shitfest

So you didnt even watch the movie? The two barely punch each other.... Also its literally Zod reanimated. Not only does it play into Superman facing his mortality theme of BvS, it plays into the idea that Superman made a mistake killing Zod (one that literally comes back to him) and plays into Zod's racial purity thing. He was literally turned into Doomsday via fucking with his pure genetics and triggering the genetic failsafe.

Not the deepest thing ever, but definitely not shallow.

I disagree with the majority of the your post. Superman wasnt really depressed except for his crisis of faith. He gets sad at people praising him like a god, sure, but that is like classic Superman. Having these big thoughts about humanity as a whole.

Most of his time on screen in BvS (sans fight scenes) is spent listening to people's problems, fighting for the little guy, being in love with lois, and saving people. I would def want to chill with him.
And nothing about these characters are cliche or boring really. Archetypal? Sure. Cliche? Nah.

This scene is the greatest superhero scene ever put on film. The way it cuts between the people stuck in Metropolis trying to save each other and Superman's birth as an extension of those brave souls in Metropolis. The strength of Superman residing in the good of man. The core of the man of steel.

>Ahahaha what?
it's actually 6 instances in these movies that I pointed out

Thanks again for showing me that you don't actually read my posts, but rather just want to spout your points.

And you even ignored the point of my recent remark on how you just willfully ignored my comment.

Then again, In got a better idea than just getting annoyed

what a horrible plebeian post

*I

Not In