/who/ - Doctor Who General

Pyramid monks edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BondVillainStupidity
madsci.org/posts/archives/2006-12/1165769241.Es.r.html
radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-27/doctor-who-episode-edited-for-saturday-airing-following-manchester-bombing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So, what was this all about? He's not directing this year's chistmas special, that's for sure.
youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM

weakest villain in Doctor Who history

MONK: WE'VE RUN EVERY POSSIBLE SIMULATION AND YOU KNOW WHAT WE DISCOVERED, DOCTOR?

DOCTOR: NO, WHAT!

THE WHITE RACE DIES ALL HAIL THE BIG BLACK COCK MASTER RACE!

MONK: IT'S WHITEY GENOCIDE TIME!

BILL: HELL YES. DEATH TO THE NAZIS!

but they can use literal magic to do whatever the plot wants them to

Does trump survive the white genocide?
He's orange, after all

Simm new Doctor confirmed?

and have cock sucking mouths

I really feel that they made this a 3-parter just for the sake of it. Most of what happened in this episode could've been condensed into 10 minutes.

They look good, I just wish they found a better solution to the talking thing.

would you want to put your cock in a mouth with those teeth?

Yeah this episode felt really uneventful. Extremis was great but doesn't have much bearing on the plot of the rest of the '3-parter'.

The monks were actually spooky in moff's episode, in harness's they're just shite
I'll take a shitty harness episode if the first and last of the 3 are great

I'd consent if they don't bite.

I agree, I'm hoping next week makes up for this shitfest. Extremis was a solid start

the twist next week is they're all still in a simulation (they're not virtual people this time though, they're real ones in a matrix type thing) which is why the monks can do OP shit like make The Doctor see again in an instant. in reality the monks are some shitty powerless aliens who are using the simulation to make themselves seem godlike so humanity submits to them

Why couldn't The Doctor use the camera on his glasses to stream to Bill's phone to read the numbers on the combination? you know, the feature that was the basis of the entire previous episode?!

Why did they say Bill's motives were out of love when it was clearly fear? You could even see it plastered all over her fucking face; don't need to be a mummified spooky skellington to see that shit.

Why are these villains so shit, even by Moff standards? Like literally the most uninteresting garbage.

How do they know it's a 5000 year old pyramid if it wasn't there yesterday? Why are they so confident on the ageing of it?

Bill's phone isn't compatible with Time Lord tech

He didn't do a super upgrade on it like with Rose's phone

this nigga hacked the entire world's intelligence databases in a matter of seconds by putting his hand on a bunch of display monitors; I really don't think finding a way to project his vision to either her or Erica is a stretch.

The Moon is an egg. Your argument is invalid.

>that preview

god damn it

does ANYONE like missy?

why do they wheel her out every season god damn

clearly he's alien. we've had blue humanoid aliens in who before, why not orange?

why has netflix started doing these bullshit autoplay ads

most people here like her

I sincerely hope it's this because the alternative is worse

>you know, the feature that was the basis of the entire previous episode?
Also the feature that was used in reality in under the lake
the doctor had no excuse, harness is just a hack

This feels too much of a retread of the saxon series with martha

I mean the Moon is an egg. When I read the script, I thought "That is the most brilliant thing I've ever heard of". We had to have him back for series 10 and I think you'll be surprised at what he has for us this time. The villain is like nothing you've ever seen in Doctor Who. It's really gonna be a whopper.

how so?

I honestly think the moon being an egg for giant space creature is a great premise. It was just that the episode's execution,plot and resolution were total wank.

What do you mean the alternative? That the monks are really that powerful?

Is it too out of the realm of possibility to say he was pressed for time and wasn't thinking before Bill jumped the shark?

>Why did they say Bill's motives were out of love when it was clearly fear?
She traded the world for the Doctor's safety. That level of care falls under love.

World 'overnight' changes into some dystopia with evil bad guys ruling it. More than likely to end in some bull shit ex-machina centering around bill.

Just feel like its been done before

>tfw 16980 days until the 100th special

Fun Fact: 16980 days ago the independent People's Republic of South Yemen renamed itself as People's Democratic Republic of Yemen

Were the military people and the Secretary General not also trading the world for peoples safety?

They were doing it to "Fight again another day"

Why did the monks ignore she was using strategy by saving the Doctor so he can save them from the monks?
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BondVillainStupidity

Shit feels like a cross between that and Day of the Moon. Still, Whithouse writing keeps me hopeful.

I don't think she was. I think she was acting out of pure emotion, just wanting to save The Doctor's life without thinking about what happens next

Of course all that does is make one character's actions retarded instead of another, but hey ho

>Cautiously approach pyramid
>Collect sample of stone
>Run tests
>Learn age
Of course with the overall stupidity of the episode we can't even assume that the logical answer is correct. Or that any thought was put into it at all.

Is anyone getting fringe season 5 vibes from next weeks episode? It's like the observer dystopia

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GO TO WORK WITH A HANGOVER WHEN YOU'RE DOING HAZARDOUS SHIT!

Dan Miller's let himself go.

>dude CONSENT LMAO
>CONSENT CONSENT CONSENT CONSENT
something has to be done about these terrible fucking writers man
carbon dating. one of the few things about the episode that i won't say was horrible. it makes sense

But after the bomb explodes Bill says "tell you what old man, you better get my planet back", so Bill consented so the Doctor could "fight again another day"
I just don't see how Bills consent was any different

I honestly loved Kill the Moon and liked a lot of the Zygon 2-parter, but I really didn't like this episode, and the few bits I did like I am 100% were from Moffat, not Harness. I'm not a "plot hole" kinda guy but the narrative here was just so tenuous that I had trouble investing in it. The consent theme becoming more explicit here was good, but the political stuff was terrible, and the ending was unearned and felt like a miswrite of Bill.

Patronising twunt thread?

Has anybody done a counter for how many times they say 'consent' in that episode?

Neo I missed you I thought you left for good ;_;

how long does it take to carbon date something?

CONSENT
CONSENT
CONSENT
CONSENT
CONSENT

It'll be interesting to see who wrote which parts if the script is ever released.

Who's this qt?

1-3 days

I pop in now and again but onseason moves a bit fast for me and I can't stand all the fakespoiler (and hell, real spoiler) stuff.

The consent stuff has been the theme of the whole series, a bit over halfway feels like a natural enough point to make it more explicit instead of just thematic. I agree they overdid it though.

Pyramid had been there for less than a day

you can really tell the writer/s went to a "rape is bad mmkay" seminar the night prior

well my source is from 2006 they might have gotten quicker since then idk
madsci.org/posts/archives/2006-12/1165769241.Es.r.html

>carbon dating
That's actually a pretty outdated method.

It wasn't even remotely subtle, yeah.

Sorry I haven't gotten to your art yet I'm in the middle of moving, expect art fills in June

I want Ericas consent to cuddle

Look dude it's real simple. UN guy and military guys were not acting out of love. Bill was. I don't see the relevance of that article since their primary goal is not to kill Bill or the Doctor but to find someone in power to give them "consent."

he whole "consent" thing was a really neat concept. You get the impression the monks are using a concept that's natural to them but doesn't easily translate into English. Makes them feel very alien.

Bill hopes that the Doctor will somehow free Earth, that's not really much of a strategy, is it? And she didn't consent to save the Earth, which would have been fine if she didn't, she did it purely to save the Doctor's life.

It's not a rape thing, it's a natural theme to focus on after a series culminating in a mutual mindwipe (series 9). The Pilot even made that as clear as they could without literally saying it. Knock Knock had Suchet doing things "for" his relative without their actual consent, monster in Thin Ice held against its consent, the ending of Smile was unearned because without memory there's no true consent, Extremis was a whole universe made against its inhabitants consent, etc.

It's a weird thing to focus on really but Doctor Who hasn't done it before and Moff's made it flow on from series 9 as naturally as he could. I wonder what made him suddenly into the idea. Probably thinking about mindwipes a lot.

No worries mate, glad moving has worked out for you! Hope it's a comfy enough place.

The episode had nothing to do with rape. Is that the only context you associate the word consent with? The use of that specific word really just plays into their being legalistic.

Edge, what was your major? What do you do for living?

Why did Erica need to hold the door open at all? She didn't go back in to get anything after that. Even if she needed to, why couldn’t she have just opened the door by the handle? It’s not like that’s a difficult task in any capacity

>humanity is at their weakest in the whole of history when trump is president

They put way too much emphasis on the breaking glasses and bottle like 'everything went wrong because these two small things' but it was such an unimportant plot point that never got any attention in dialogue. Why was it in the episode at all?

"We will talk again at the end of the earth" - but they talk again when the UN guy tries to consent which is prior to bill consenting which would be considered “the end of the earth"

Why did they make a big deal out of the doctor supporting an air strike as if it was an immoral mistake, only for it to never come up again and lead to nothing?

Why did the monks teleport into the fighter jet when they were already using a glowy light beam to control and land it?

If the monks have modelled every catastrophe and there's a catastrophe eliminating every living thing in less than a year, why do they have any catastrophes modeled after that?

Why did they say "Not a single living thing” regarding the future visions when that vision included a tree?

Why was the doctor begging "no please stop don't do this" when the UN guy tried to consent, when the doctor outranks him? He had the right and authority to order him to step down.

Why did Douglas take his helmet off in the room with the experimental untested gas?

The doctor just released every government secret on google and there was no mass panic among civilians? And it will never be addressed again?

Nardole just jumps in with "bacteria" straight away, no buildup or thought process at all, and everyone treats it like it has to be the only answer straight away when there's no confirmation at all. They banked a lot on their baseless guess being correct the first time

Why did they use both the melodies from I Am the Doctor and 1969 (the music when matt fake-died in S6)? This is quite possibly the first capaldi episode to not use his theme in any capacity

GM biochemical bacteria disintegrates living material to goo in a matter of seconds? Did Doctor Who suddenly become a Birdemic-tier shitty disaster movie?

The lab has a venting cycle to eliminate harmful toxins from the air, but it releases it straight out into the atmosphere? No filtration process or safe disposal? What if someone stole their experimental chemicals by collecting it from the exhaust outside the building?

Why did the doomsday clock start counting backwards when the doctor set up the bomb? If the monks knew about the bomb, considered it to be a bad thing that was ruining their plan, and have the ability to manipulate reality (proven by them fixing the security cameras and the doctor's eyes), why didn't they just stop the bomb?

The doctor has literally used the sonic sunglasses to livestream camera footage before - he did it in Under the Lake. Why didn't he do it here? He was literally using the glasses to call bill at that exact moment already, there was absolutely zero reason why he couldn’t have done it. If they had just broken the sonic sunglasses so he was truly vulnerable and just had him call bill some other way there wouldn’t have been this problem.

Bill's consent was out of fear of a world without the doctor, and love for the doctor. The monks wanted love for the monks. Why was this valid consent to them?

Why did the doctor and Erica just stand there while the fucking room exploded instead of going into the tardis?

Bill said "you better get my planet back" but nothing had gone wrong yet, why was she scared when she had just decided consenting to the monks was the right thing to do?

Who was the director? Why did they do so many shots with a "whoosh"-entrance done by speeding up the footage? It looked tacky as fuck

I invented Doctor Who.

>Is that the only context you associate the word consent with?
if we're talking context look at the context of the season
>race issues shoehorned in Thin Ice
>capitalism strawman shoehorned in Oxygen
what's the odds they're shoehorning a rape narrative in Pyramid?

I'll give you a hint: very good odds

>They put way too much emphasis on the breaking glasses and bottle like 'everything went wrong because these two small things' but it was such an unimportant plot point that never got any attention in dialogue. Why was it in the episode at all?

I feel like the bottles cutaways and stuff meant they intended it to be a show-y visual thing, like the "time happening all at once" concept excellently portrayed in The Pilot, but the director here didn't seem to really run with it so it felt stilted.

>The doctor just released every government secret on google and there was no mass panic among civilians? And it will never be addressed again?

That annoyed me a lot too.

>Nardole just jumps in with "bacteria" straight away, no buildup or thought process at all, and everyone treats it like it has to be the only answer straight away when there's no confirmation at all. They banked a lot on their baseless guess being correct the first time

I feel like the terrorism scene was cut out here, they cut to that idea weirdly quickly.

>Why did they use both the melodies from I Am the Doctor and 1969 (the music when matt fake-died in S6)? This is quite possibly the first capaldi episode to not use his theme in any capacity

His theme is in the episode where he does his camera plan in the TARDIS with Nardole. I didn't hear any I Am The Doctor, though I did hear the 50th/Heaven Sent montage theme.

All valid questions of course they have an equally valid answer:

Moffat
spoiler]the man is style over substance,
every time. remember #planeshavestopped?

Except when you watch the episode it's not there.

>All valid questions of course they have an Equally valid answer: Moffat is a hack.

>I feel like the terrorism scene was cut out here
oh shit you know what you're probably right, I had forgotten about that
that resolves one of the fuckton

Ok you guys I'm taking a break for my assignment to answer this and I haven't even gotten the chance to watch this one yet.

Before a doctor does anything, ANYTHING, you must ask for consent. Not only before the procedure but sometimes you have to ask it during it and right before some subpart you should ask (is it okay for me to procede) etc so it sounded to me like some kind of medical meme.

Except when I watched the episode it was obvious as fuck what they were doing.
Why don't you wander on back over to tumblr?

terrorism scene?

Except everybody was "consenting" to something that they didn't really want. It was coerced consent, dummy. There is no positive moral behind it.

radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-27/doctor-who-episode-edited-for-saturday-airing-following-manchester-bombing

>write an episode trying to be topical
>have to cut scenes when they're too topical

>Actual quality discussion going on
wew

Yeah moving in today, roomie is going to watch DW for the first time with me

The Harness Style(tm):

>set on Earth
>world governments
>fake American accents
>goes full SJW, even by NuWho standards
>brings up controversial issues, but mangles the message so badly that every side is offended

>various Tennant characters
by which you mostly mean doctor whooves

>It was coerced consent, dummy. There is no positive moral behind it
I'm not saying there was a positive moral behind it, or that the aliens were using the word consent correctly.
My point is it felt like the entire episode was someone trying to shove the definition of consent down our throats.

WHAT IF this episode was a simulation specifically engineered to convince Bill to give the monks consent? the stupid decisions by other characters and contrived plot were all to goad her into thinking consenting was the right choice

Any consent not given out of love is not TRUE CONSENT.

Oh, and

>humanity makes a choice, but it's the wrong one because Harness says so and it's up to the Doctor/his companion to fix it

You're right except for the fact that KTM was an anti-abortion metaphor

occam's razor tells me Moffat is just a hack

Sometimes. Mostly Kilgrave tbqh.

What if you feel both love AND fear? Does one cancel out the other?

>the entire episode was someone trying to shove the definition of consent down our throats
but I didn't consent to having anything shoved down my throat

>Does one cancel out the other?
apparently not otherwise bill should have died because she was fearing a world without the doctor

Where did you learn to draw? How much time did it consume?

this show jumped straight from one of the better nuwho episodes, last week, to so bad that I had to skip through the parts that were making me cringe

it was rushed

I dont know if you euros realize this, but Nuwho's portrayal of global military power works is also super cringy. This episode we had chunli, 'the UN secretary' like that's a real thing that someone knows or cares about, some goofy soldiers in bright blue helmets, and some 20 year old ivan, and we're supposed to believe that any of this is 'normal.' I realize they can't afford real tanks and real soldier equipment for a filler episode, and euros don't care about the US, but they're not even attempting to make things look or seem plausible.

So I think for S11 we need to create a second SJW bingo. There's been something in every episode so far. What do they have left to cover? I don't think trans stuff has been mentioned yet, but most likely it will with Master/Missy

>reading politics and rape into everything
>telling other people to go to tumblr

what baffles me is why they had to make the UN out to be some sort of military organisation with real power, when they could use UNIT, the fictional military force created within Doctor Who for this precise narrative purpose. Just imagining all those people were UNIT members makes the situation seem a little less retarded.

Ooh interesting thought.

heh