Do you think this movie will do poorly because they cast an African American as the lead?

Do you think this movie will do poorly because they cast an African American as the lead?

>African American
Wrong

Yeah shit in china

>Frodo's glowing pistols

I think that if it does poorly, it's because the trailer made this mind-blowing fantasy world look painfully generic.

It is generic you dumb genre fiction brainlet

>The Dark Tower

they are talking about his penis right?

Yes, and I won't be watching it as a result. Not that I had hope for a Hollywood 90 minute adaptation but still. Straw, camel's back, etc.

Easy, big guy.

nice a lucian biopic, thanks rito

I thought the same shit. And after that I thought in Dante (no idea why)

It will do poorly because it takes place in New York city and the gunslinger will only kill man in blacks orcs because pg13. Also since when did the man in black have an army of orc henchmen?

He kills a bunch of mutants in the book but they're unaffiliated to the man in black

>movie casting Idris Elba
>bad
pick one

Only redditors are hyped about it. Nobody in the real world really even knows about it. If it doesn't get stellar reviews it's gonna be a total flop.

>African American

Normal fags barely even know about Stephen King, much less The Dark Tower

Iknorite? He looks just like Roland and fits the bill perfectly!

King is one of the most normie writers in history, every fucking chad and Stacy read his books

well atleast he does not look so young old niggers are passable in movies its the young ones that are annoying

Just turn 360 degrees and walk away, friends. No need to get into shouting matches on the internet.

>Normal fags barely even know about Stephen King

After le harrypotter lady he's probably the author most people know about

Internationally for sure, it'll do well domestically.

But Elba senpai

why cast an african american? Stephen King is big on white guilt ever since people chastised him for his magical negro characters. I hate political casting

No? Why would it?
It's a fictional universe.
Now shoehorning blacks into historical dramas, that's what bothers people. It kills the immersion.

Yep. That will be the cop out when this bombs because the adaptation is utter shit.

It will do poorly because no one knows what the fuck a Dark Tower is (despite King's popularity), and the trailers add even more confusion. It's some sort of weird fantasy western? General audiences don't want to see things they don't know what it is.

I really hope so.

What's the matter, sweetie? Are you upset we're not using the term "nigger". I can't stand pathetic snowflake racists.

>we have a black guy on the cover of our movie
>better make it look like he's about to dab

kek

lol

He's a britbong nignog not an "African American"

>360, walk away

That's a full circle retarded, you'll be facing the same direction you were before

Stephen King is a Airport novelist, no one actually gives a shit about his cocaine fueled excuses for books

Who was that guy that said "people who read Harry Potter as children are being trained to read Stephen King as adults"? He was right.

Not african, not american.

Sucks because stephen king is a hack.

He's not African, and he's not American. But only a blind man could say he's not an african-american

>dabbing

No, the problem is that he is literally not american.

It's not though, and you would know if you read all the books.
I mean you may even go as far as to call it "cheesy" if you really want to, but I can't really recall anything like it. Especially if you take into account all the metastuff like the tower itself and all timelines and shit.

heh

>Who was that guy that said "people who read Harry Potter as children are being trained to read Stephen King as adults"? He was right.

>THE DECISION to give the National Book Foundation's annual award for "distinguished contribution" to Stephen King is extraordinary, another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis. The publishing industry has stooped terribly low to bestow on King a lifetime award that has previously gone to the novelists Saul Bellow and Philip Roth and to playwright Arthur Miller. By awarding it to King they recognize nothing but the commercial value of his books, which sell in the millions but do little more for humanity than keep the publishing world afloat. If this is going to be the criterion in the future, then perhaps next year the committee should give its award for distinguished contribution to Danielle Steel, and surely the Nobel Prize for literature should go to J.K. Rowling.
>What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

>But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?
>It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."
>Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>I began as a scholar of the romantic poets. In the 1950s and early 1960s, it was understood that the great English romantic poets were Percy Bysshe Shelley, William Wordsworth, Lord Byron, John Keats, William Blake, Samuel Taylor Coleridge. But today they are Felicia Hemans, Charlotte Smith, Mary Tighe, Laetitia Landon, and others who just can't write. A fourth-rate playwright like Aphra Behn is being taught instead of Shakespeare in many curriculums across the country.

>Recently I spoke at the funeral of my old friend Thomas M. Green of Yale, perhaps the most distinguished scholar of Renaissance literature of his generation. I said, "I fear that something of great value has ended forever."
>Today there are four living American novelists I know of who are still at work and who deserve our praise. Thomas Pynchon is still writing. My friend Philip Roth, who will now share this "distinguished contribution" award with Stephen King, is a great comedian and would no doubt find something funny to say about it. There's Cormac McCarthy, whose novel "Blood Meridian" is worthy of Herman Melville's "Moby-Dick," and Don DeLillo, whose "Underworld" is a great book.
>Instead, this year's award goes to King. It's a terrible mistake.
~David Foster Wallace

It will do poorly for other reasons as well, foremost among them a waste of the huge potential.

But it will also do poorly because they made roland black. He was written specifically as the last white man of his world. There are racial conflicts and elements integral to the story. James bond could be black without bothering me if it was done in good faith. Not roland. Thats just wrong and stupid.

Idris Elba

I don't remember anything about roland's skin, wasn't he portrayed just as a last man of honor, of a higher, educated cast, in a decaying world? I mean he sure was white but that wasn't the point.

elba is the least of my worries
t. bookfag

>all africans are american
Burger education folks

Idris Elba

The books literally describe him as a blue eyed Clint Eastwood look-alike and is critical to the development of one of the main characters. But a handicapped black woman is inconvenient so that got scrapped. This will be the only dark tower movie ever made and I thank God for that small mercy

He isnt american, Idris Elba is a pretty good actor, and has a "cool' vibe to him.
He was one of the candidates to be the next james bond but , well, wrong colour tbqh.

Is the source material even good ?
The trailer looked corny as fuck I don't care about James Bond being in it

>Is the source material even good ?

Interesting for the first 3 or 4 books, but then it falls apart really quickly because it becomes apparent King's terrible at plotting (he just makes it up as he writes with no ending in mind) and world-building.

After the clusterfuck that was Dreamcatcher, I'm hesitant to see an SK movie in theater. I'll catch it on dvd.