Armond White: “Baywatch is idiotic escapism”

>The new Baywatch movie, a reboot of the Nineties beach-set crime-and-melodrama TV series, continues Hollywood’s unoriginal marketing. It holds momentary interest for the way it adapts television culture (free, meaningless distraction) for a new era.

>On the big screen, Baywatch might seem a variation on its cathode-ray source simply because it stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Hollywood’s leading exponent of biracial diversity, and Zac Efron, Hollywood’s newest male pin-up. Respectively, they play lifeguards Mitch and Matt — not entirely interchangeable but alliterative nonentities who bring little distinction to the basic formula. The combination of over-the-top action-movie stunts and crass humor is shameless, both below-the-belt and beneath most folks’ IQs.

>Hollywood movies have become television at just the point when media shills are spreading the fake news that we’re experiencing a “new golden age” of TV. These shills don’t call it a “renaissance,” because that word might intimidate victims of our failed education system and even cynics realize that nothing gets reborn in Hollywood, that recycling is not the same as being given new life.

Read more at: nationalreview.com/article/448002/baywatch-movie-idiotic-escapism

How will the Rock recover?

Other urls found in this thread:

villagevoice.com/2010/03/10/proof-that-critic-armond-white-did-call-for-noah-baumbachs-abortion/
villagevoice.com/2010/03/17/if-armond-white-only-knew-what-a-monster-j-hoberman-really-is/
villagevoice.com/2011/01/19/j-hoberman-responds-to-armond-white/
youtube.com/watch?v=lWrjJZR6PfE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not contrarian

boring

a nigga with a thesaurus

>when the armond is based

>On the big screen, Baywatch might seem a variation on its cathode-ray source simply because it stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Hollywood’s leading exponent of biracial diversity, and Zac Efron, Hollywood’s newest male pin-up.

Sounds contrarian enough to me.

the most dangerous

I believe he means that having a biracial actor is a departure from Baywatch the television show. Also, Zac Efron was either not alive or a child when the show first aired.

My point is that he's critical of mainstream tendencies, which is the definition of being contrarian. The last sentence hammers that home as well.

he is saying that while the Baywatch movie might SEEM different than its source material on the surface due to different actors, its really just the same thing.

Does he talk about how Baywatch has changed in a post-9/11 post-Obama environment?

I thought Baywatch was always idiotic escapism

The whole show was wrapped around watching Pamela Anderson job in slow motion for about 6 seasons

>All-time GOAT film critic J. Hoberman destroys Almond Black

villagevoice.com/2010/03/10/proof-that-critic-armond-white-did-call-for-noah-baumbachs-abortion/

villagevoice.com/2010/03/17/if-armond-white-only-knew-what-a-monster-j-hoberman-really-is/

villagevoice.com/2011/01/19/j-hoberman-responds-to-armond-white/

>leading exponent of biracial diversity

so the reviewer is a nazi?

Nothing but a Jarring Disconnect with fans who love it and its raunchy r-rated summer fun. I emptied my bladders 5 minutes into the film

What's with the piss meme?

Armond is diligent about keeping his reviews 50/50 with tomatometer.

Dwayne Johnson tweeted that there were reports of people pissing themselves laughing in theaters

> GOAT film critic
i rorudo

the coin landed tails this time

I'm pretty sure they were jizzing over Mammarios tits

>he didn't pee his pants during viewing

Go to bed Liam

It's a glaring faux pas at the post-hegelian institutionalized expression of diversity, it neither succeeds nor fails

Pffft, what a glib facsimile.

even in this thread, we have retards calling him contrarian. epic

Armond goes where the maximum trolling potential is.

In this case trolling the Rock was a much richer vein of salt than trolling the general public.

I thought he was supposed to hate movies people loved.

>gay black man is the king of Sup Forums
You can't make this shit up

Baumbachs films are written by and for yuppie scum. Armond was accurate about that.

>He doesn't like J. Haus
Pleb filter desu senpai

It's been awhile since they had a argument.

I pissed myself laughing at this comment.

Jej @ all the plebbitors confused and malfunctioning ITT because Armond agreed with le tomatometer

Which of your favourite movies did he touch you?

>m-muh shills

literally Sup Forums: the """critic"""

Why's this Jew picking an intelligent black man? Is he a racist?

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=lWrjJZR6PfE

Honestly surprised he doesn't love it just because its crap.

Did it get good reviews from other places ?