Why were movies in the 70's so much better than movies today (With few exceptions like Sicario or Prisoners)

Why were movies in the 70's so much better than movies today (With few exceptions like Sicario or Prisoners)

The industry was no longer in the cynical 60's where the facade of post WWII media was falling apart, things could be harsh and gritty but still meaningful again.

>Prisoners
>good

Denis Villeneuve is the most IMDB sensibility director so far. Anybody who thinks that Prisoners is above mediocre is juvenile about the medium and entirely emblematic of the video game crossposter fueled downfall of this board.

Villeneuve is one of the biggest trashmasters working today. This is hot pocket the movie. Cheeto dust: the flick.

IMDB "FILM BUFF" pleb fodder. If you like this film then you are an enemy of the medium.

>MUH BASED JAKE
>MUH BASED DEAKINS
>MUH DARK THRILLER
>MUH RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM

All the memes are there, it's shit

Sicario is equally shit.

Nice bait, OP

Could it be that you are just looking at a handful of good movies from the 70's while completely ignoring all the shit ones that failed the test of time?

The Stunt Man is one of the best films ever made. I love the 70's.

1/10, not a 0 because your bait was so obvious that you get this (you)

Why were movies in the 60's so much better than movies in the 70's?

Because the studios/executives actually cared about making quality films, and they knew how to make them profitable.

Writers, directors & actors still want to make films like this. Audiences still want to see them. NOBODY wants to finance them.

Film financing today is literally done by algorithm. If you can't PROVE that the audience exists, before the movie exists, nobody wants to invest. This is, of course, a Catch-22 that makes originality impossible. Because the only films with a predictable audience are either based in a predictable formula, or adapted/re-booted from an existing property.

All of the real filmmakers are stuck in the

>Sicario and Prisoners

cringe

Try watching actually good movies from this decade.

>Sicario or Prisoners

into the trash Villanueve

>Straw Dogs

Quintessential cuckcore.

There's a certain air that even shit movies had back then that is totally lost nowadays. 70's Movies were fucking gritty, they looked real, and they looked grounded. Take "Rocky" for example, It's a good movie (but not the decade's best), but even though the movie is a total idealistic FUCK YEAH EVERYTHING CAN HAPPEN it is shot in the context of the epidemic economic and social malaise that permeated 1970's America. It looks dirty and raw, and that makes the film's message ever more hopeful.

So like nowadays we are in an economic and social climate that is worse that the 70's in every way, and movies are all about rich douchebags in mansions with granite countertops looking bemused or cartoon rabbits in cgi blowing everything up with nary a genuine emotion or location in sight

What was the original movie that this pasta was talking about?

Cold Fish > Straw Dogs

cold war and hippies

Straw dogs isn't even that good though

They're not.
There has always been a lot of shit movies but you don't hear about them because they didn't become classics.
It's called survivorship bias.

you guys are only partially right. i recently read "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls", it's a chronic of the whole New Hollywood movement.
the old studio system was failing at the end of the 60s, nobody wanted to see the average optimistic hollywood musicals anymore. all the big studio-produced films at the end of the 60s were flopping hard and the executives started losing a lot of money. The Vietnam War and the Hippie-movement changed the minds of a whole generation of cinemagoers who didn't feel themself represented in the happy-go-lucky studio-films. Then Easy Riders happened, an independently produced Road-Movie that depicted drug-use, sex in a never before seen fashion. Finally a movie that took notice of the Hippie-Generation, it became a massive hit at the box office and the studios realized that they can't ignore the ongoing social changes anymore.
Desperate to keep up with the new cultue the studios started bringing in art-students from New York, underground filmmakers and all kinds of weird figures into their meetings and basically started throwing money around to get a film that connects to the new discovered target group. That's how people like Robert Altman, Francis Ford Coppola and Roman Polanski got their chances and made legendary movies that are stilll talked about.
So New Hollywood basically happened because people started voting with their wallets and the studios adapted to that.
If all the desperate nerds and betas stop going to all the capeshit movies the studio will stop doing them, it's as easy as that.
So go to the cinema, stop watching capeshit and watch kino if you want the studios to notice that you want to see something different than the average blockbuster schlock! They're businesses after all, and they'll have to stop producing content that nobody buys...

The Stunt Man is an odd movie.

I do like Steve Railsback.

I really hope the 2020's will be a good decade for film. I miss cinema. It's completely dead right now.

Isn't Hollywood getting it's shit kicked in lately? Hopefully New Hollywood happens again

And then in 6 years time there's threads on Sup Forums about how they miss capeshit

this but unironically

>Isn't Hollywood getting it's shit kicked in lately?
yes and no, marvel is still doing great. so i don't think it will change as of now. maybe when robert downey jr. exits the franchise it will start failing. but i don't see hollywood changing their tactic within the next 10 years. you see, new hollywood only happened because of the pessimism that originated in the vietnam war. people aren't pessimistic now, they have nothing to fight for or against. we're happy now, so why ruin the fun with pessimistic cinema?
i don't think something wil change in the next ten year, Marvel movies for the rest of our lives baby!

Traditional Hollywood is getting destroyed right now thanks to video games, streaming services, and series. New Hollywood is literally happening right now, but as for capeshit nostalgia, it won't happen since capeshit has already infected the others.

this. netflix and amazon are making a new "New Hollywood" possible right now, so we should thank those fuckers.

Accelerated capitalism, studios were founded by people enthusiastic about the new art form, now studios are headed by finance educated CEOs.

dude survivorship bias lmao

>All of the real filmmakers are stuck in the

kek, josh tank is here.

underrated post

>nowadays we are in an economic and social climate that is worse that the 70's in every way
Not really. Crime now is less than it was in the 70s. The economy is doing at least as well as or better than it was back then.

this.

on another note, I think it's very interesting to see where the careers of the New Hollywood directors went: Lucas did Star Wars and never looked back, Spielberg does his very American popcorn flicks, Scorsese has finally finished another dream project of his, Polanski is out of the spotlight for most people and Coppolla mostly makes wine. Peter Bogdonavich's newest film could only be made by support from Noah Baumbach and Wes Anderson, and I think that's sad.
Also, a crowdfunding project of Bogdonavich to finish the final Orson Welles film was unsuccessful, while the Super Troopers guys got more than they were asking for. I think that says everything you need to now about the state of American film today.

it's funny that george lucas was the one who financially had the most success out of them all. in the book he is described as a complete fucking autist who at 25 couldn't talk to women at all. his first wife basically courted him.
when lucas showed coppola, de palma and spielber the first work print of star wars, copola and de palma laughed at him and completely trashed the film. only spielberg as the moneygrabbing weasel that he is, saw that this movie would make lots of money and it did.
i never really liked bogdanovich, he was very pretentious and a real piece of shit according to the book, after paper moon he never made a good movie.
Coppola was a larger than life figure desu and basically destined to burn out eventually but boy, did he shine bright. Godfather 1 +2, Conversation and Apocalypse Now are all 10/10 in my opinion. None of the big New hollywood directors had a track record that flawless in the 70s so it's not that sad that he lost it eventually. Rumble Fish and Dracula are still fine movies.
It looks like Scorsese and Polanski are the only ones of the bunch that retained their artistic integrity. Both of them still make kino. Wolf of Wall Street and Silence are amongst Scorseses best imo and Roman made Carnage, Venus in Fur and Ghost Writer which are all great.
Who's the super troopers guy? i don't know what you're hinting at.

bump

I think some modern movies have that grungy feel OP. Like the reason i liked nightcrawler and Drive so much is because of that resemblance

ok guys, what's your favourite New Hollywood kino?

Network
The Conversation
Five Easy Pieces
Cruising
Sorcerer

Cruising

my man.
Cruising is pure kino. i don't see how it still hasn't become a cult favourite. it's so crazy and great.
it basically invented the typical fincher serial murderer thriller more than 10 years before silence of the lambs and se7en.
the OST is god-tier and the atmosphere cold and creepy.
so many memorable scenes in that film:
>that first murder scene in the hotel room
>Hips or Lips?
>handkerchief scene with powers boothe
>Ed O' Neill and the floating ball test
>Joe Spinell as the creepy closeted police officer raping trannies
>Pacino dancing with a dude to Willy DeVille's "In The Heat of the Moment"
it's insane that a film like that even exists.
>tfw you will never see the films' missing 40 minutes of pacino watching and participating in genuine hardcore sex in the underground gay clubs
why even live?

Cruising is still ahead of it's time

fun fact: cops actually used to do this kind of stuff while questioning suspects. they'd bring in some weird thugs in boxer shorts or other extravagant costumes to beat up the suspects and get confessions out of them. that way no judge would believe the suspects if they say that some naked nigga with a cowboy hat beat them up at a police station.
source: Friedkin's autobiography "the friedkin connection"

Great post

vump

That's a bingo. Same as any other decade.

this but literally

bamp

I never got around to watching Prisoners and Sicario, but I'm wary after how bad Arrival was.

>Why were movies in the 70's so much better than movies today
Because you're a pleb who probably only watches what garbage is spoon fed to you. Also this >With few exceptions like Sicario or Prisoners
Y I K E S at that reddit tier taste

Any interesting books you or other anons can recommend about film history?

>Easy Riders Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind about New Hollywood, it's really good if you saw some of the movies from that period
>Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind, it's about 90s cinema after Pulp Fiction revolutionized the indie-film movement and producers like Weinstein started throwing money at indie directors again
> Midnight Movies by Jonathan Rosenbaum, about the whole 70s culture of showing weird underground films at midnight screenings, movies like Rocky Horror picture show, eraserhead and El Topo became cult films this way
>Hollywood Babylon by Kenneth Anger, stories about the degeneracy of Old Hollywood but probably the most fun and entertaining book out of all my recommendations, film stars back in the 20s and 30s were wayyy more fucked up and slutty than we like to think, it was literally like Sodom and Gomorra back then.
>The DIsaster Artist, abot the making of the worst movie of all time, The Room. If you just want one book out of all these, read this. Genuinely the funniest reading experience i ever had in my life. you won't regret it. But watch "The Room" before though so you get all the context.

>70's Movies were fucking gritty, they looked real, and they looked grounded. Take "Rocky" for example,
there are shitty movies, all the time, even during the 70s, you complete fucking idiot.

>Release date: June 27, 1980

>Take "Rocky" for example, It's a good movie
>Rocky
>a good movie

The sequels were garbage but only a contrarian faggot would dislike Rocky

>people aren't pessimistic now, they have nothing to fight for or against.
Did you forget the election? Or does that not count because only liberals are upset?

Nightcrawler was kino as fuck, I can't wait for the sequel with Denzel.

From what I've seen, Harold & Maude.

>sequel with Denzel.
what??

LEL, butthurt leftie detected. i know it was her turn my boy, but you don't always get what you want in life, the earlier you learn this the better. i don't think anything creative wil come ot of some infantile nu-males crying over an election.
#HeWillNotDivideUs #notmypresident #FuckDrumpf #FuckWhitePeople

>A psychopath is scouring New York City gay clubs and viciously slaying homosexuals.
>Detective Steve Burns (Al Pacino) is ordered to don leather attire, hang at the city's S&M joints and keep an eye out for the killer. But as Steve becomes immersed in club hopping, he begins to identify with the subculture more than he expected.
>Meanwhile, Steve behaves distantly around his girlfriend, Nancy (Karen Allen), the police force's homophobia becomes apparent and the killer remains at large.

What the fuck, that sounds so good. I hope there's a blu-ray release.

>In 2013, filmmakers James Franco and Travis Mathews released Interior. Leather Bar., a film in which they appear as filmmakers working on a film which reimagines and attempts to recreate the 40 minutes of deleted and lost footage from Cruising.[23] The film is not actually a recreation of the footage, however; instead, it uses a docufiction format to explore the creative and ethical issues arising from the process of trying to film such a project.

>shitcario

I enjoyed Prisoners and Sicario, but pretty much agree with this.

Not a sequel exactly, but I thought the movies were supposed to be connected.
Dan Gilroy's next movie is Inner City starring Denzel Washington and Colin Farrell.
>A liberal lawyer named Roman J. Israel has been fighting the good fight while others take the credit. When his partner, the firm’s front man, has a heart attack, Israel suddenly takes on that role. He finds out some unsettling things about what the crusading law firm has done that run afoul of his values of helping the poor and dispossessed, and he finds himself in an existential crisis that leads to extreme action.

there's a 720p web rip from itunes with great quality. check it out mate. the film is pure insanity and i loved every second of it. If Gaspar Noe extended the first 10 minutes of Irreversible into a thriller set in Underground gay bars, something like Cruising would come out.

i hope they restore the 40 lost minutes make an Unrated Cut, that shit would be so cash.
Friedkin mentioned that someone from Paris found the lost 40 minutes of film roll in a warehouse.
i think recently Sorcerer and to love and die in LA were rereleased on blu ray, so it's possible cruising will be too in the future.

>LEL, butthurt leftie detected. i know it was her turn my boy, but you don't always get what you want in life, the earlier you learn this the better. i don't think anything creative wil come ot of some infantile nu-males crying over an election.
>#HeWillNotDivideUs #notmypresident #FuckDrumpf #FuckWhitePeople

You can't handle a simple question? You said no one is pessimistic now, but a lot of people are.

I'll try to find the iTunes rip, if I can't I might buy it because I'm really interested.

i couldn't help but focus on your faggotry, i'm sorry.
maybe people are pessimistic but again, as i said:
>i don't think anything creative wil come ot of some infantile nu-males crying over an election.

also, secretly a lot of hollywood people are trump voters. bret easton ellis mentioned this in his podcast. they all just have to act liberal aftert 8 years of Obama...

arrival was a god awful screenplay and a very dull cast, dont let it color your perception of villeneuve's work as a whole. sicario is good but overrated. prisoners is also very good and in a way has become slightly underappreciated i think, its stronger than sicario i think and has some really terrific performances. he is great at crafting atmosphere, both prisoners and sicario have scenes that are almost unbearably tense.

It's a great book. Netflix and Amazon are kind of doing the same thing right now when it comes to giving big budgets and 100% creative freedom to talented/foreign/young filmmakers. Pros: no chance of druggies fucking it all up Cons: kino will only be for streaming, not cinemas

Also, the films in the 70's were radical and went against the mainstream. Today's filmmakers don't make countercultural stuff anymore. Media and politicians say "trannies are fine" and so do the filmmakers. If some filmmaker made a film that said "trannies are actually not fine", that would get my attention. Just an example.

Get a load of this faggot

if Arrival was "bad" then I'm guessing this guys other films would make me bust a nut

>also, secretly a lot of hollywood people are trump voters.
I'm a liberal, but that sounds kind of arousing.

arrival seems to be very polarizing, i didnt hate it all-in-all but like i said i thought the writing was bad and adams wasnt as strong a lead as people posited. in fact i didnt really enjoy any of performances besides stuhlbarg's (who REALLY needs to be in more stuff). in general i like villeneuve a lot and im cautiously optimistic to see what he can do with blade runner this fall

>I might buy it because I'm really interested.
do it m8, i i spent 20 bucks on the DVD since it's very rare so i felt justified in pirating the itunes rip because there's still no blu ray on the market.

>Today's filmmakers don't make countercultural stuff anymore.
i agree 100%. i feel like only european films dare to break taboos.
like "Elle" for example, directed by based Paul Verhoeven. that film was anti-PC as fuck. a woman gets raped and instead of whining and victimizing herself she takes action to get revenge. also her son is a pussywhipped cuckold and is the joke of the movie. Her 70yo mom wans to marry a young stud. it shows degeneracy as the big joke that it is.

Mark Wahlberg, Peter Berg, Chris Pratt, Vince Vaugh, Mel Gibson, Kelsey Grammer are just the obvious candidates.
i bet a lot more fucking hate Hillary.

I really wanted to see Prisoners when it came out and was only gonna watch Sicario because everyone was talking about it.
If what you're saying is true I'll download Prisoners when I get the chance.

> Film financing today is literally done by algorithm.

Indeed, the entire movie and tv industry is driven by accountants and industrially trained executives, who would be just as comfortable running a tennis shoe factory as a movie studio.

Story, cinematography, acting - ART doesn’t matter anymore, it’s all about hitting marketing department prescribed demographic data points.

>i bet a lot more fucking hate Hillary.
That's only natural, even liberals hate Hillary, she's a dumb bitch.

>Eric Heisserer wrote the script for Arrival
>Also wrote The Thing (2011), A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Final Destination 5, Lights Out, and Hours with Paul Walker

reddit the argument

Didn't Lindeloff absolutely ruin like a dozen movies for shits and giggles and then went on to be a scrrenwriter for The Leftovers which is loved by critics?

I think modern hollywood screenwriters are 50% retarded and 50% pretending to be retarded out of spite.

idk dude he wrote Lost

OP got BTFO multiple times lel
>Sicario or Prisoners
Watch The Lobster you bitch

bump

>Why were movies in the 60's so much better than movies in the 70's?
In my opinion? The writers were better in that era. They are much better than today.

Why did films look so much better in the 60's?

Pop culture and advertisement in the 80s is what ruined movies, It's fucking horrifying how the only old piece of cinema most millennial and Gen Z have watched are either Godfather or Star Wars.

>Heaven's Gate is a 1980 American epic Western film written and directed by Michael Cimino. Loosely based on the Johnson County War, it portrays a fictional dispute between land barons and European immigrants in Wyoming in the 1890s.
>There were major setbacks in the film's production due to cost and time overruns, negative press (including allegations of animal abuse on-set), and rumors about Cimino's allegedly overbearing directorial style; the film resultantly opened to poor reviews, earning only $3.5 million domestically (from an estimated $44 million budget),[8] eventually causing its parent studio, United Artists, to collapse
>Its resulting financial problems and United Artists' consequent demise led to a move away from the brief 1970s period of director-driven film production in the American film industry, back towards greater studio control of films, as had been predominant in Hollywood until the late 1960s.

Technicolor.

I miss its usage; however, I do like how 90s films looked, too.

they weren't shot digital like 99% of the films today.
there's a reason Tarantino and Nolan are still autistic about shooting on film and not digital. it just looks warmer and better. digital looks cold and detached. but it's cheaper so (((hollywood))) is happy to save a few shekels more for Mr. Goldbergs 5th yacht.

film and soft lighting

>One man singlehandledy destroyed originality in Hollywood

bravo Cimino ya rascally cunt

fuck Cimino, i hate that New Hollywood crashed because of that moron. I admit, deer hunter was great, but some people can't handle success and lose it completely after it, he was one of those people.

>Pop culture and advertisement in the 80s is what ruined movies
how

I cannot shake the feeling that if you put a crappy film filter over something like Alien: Covenant.... that it would feel closer to the alien original.

What I mean is, if you could trick yourself into watching Alien Covenant as if it were a movie that came out in the 70's.

The test of time is true for pretty much everything.
Context is everything.

the fuck are you babbling about?

that guy () is clearly a postmodernist. don't expect him to make any sense.

I watched Sicario in black & white and it went from 2/5 to 4/5 easily

>(With few exceptions like Sicario or Prisoners)

Your opinion is now invalid.

why are movies so much better today than they were in the 70s (with few exceptions like straw dogs and the godfather)