Why did the Thing pretend to have a heart-attack?

Why did the Thing pretend to have a heart-attack?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JjIXwkX1e48
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Sticks hands into an open cavity with teeth

because it assimilated a fat ass who was gonna have one anyway.

plus, it was never determined what he suffered from. it just lead up to a cool scene

Out of context it doesn't make sense.

youtu.be/JjIXwkX1e48

This part of the movie always made me question how the assimilation works. Is it instantaneous, or is it an infection that eventually takes over?

>he hasn't watched the Thing
Pretty embarrassing.

I thought the guy ate a piece of the Thing, and so it was eating him from the inside out. It wasn't a pretend heart attack, it was the guy dying as his body was eaten and assimilated.

>copy the genetic makeup of a stressed out fat dude with a bad heart

Yeah I dunno. Science fiction requires some suspension of disbelief, but that shit made no sense.

It's takes place over time, but it only needs like a few hours

Is it Palmer of is it Norris?

It didn't, Norris's body actually failed. He had a heart condition and the Thing couldn't anticipate how his body would react.

leave and don't come back

He had a heart condition, and the alien taking over is what caused his heart to fail.

>it's a weekend Thing thread

based

why did Thing age so much better than shitty movies like Alien?

Forgot pic, fuck me.

it takes time which is why it tries to be more discrete and wait until it's alone with the victim

i think the short story that it's from goes more in depth about how the assimilation works

the thing's goal is to take over everyone tho

Seems like it's instantaneous if the thing wants it to be. But it can also like ride a person in sleeper mode until it seemingly randomly decides to manifest.

the things infection vector never made sense

So when the host is infected does he lose all autonomy over his body? Or is he in control until the assimilation reaches some sort of critical stage? Because Bennings and Norris' assimilations seem to act very differently.

>someone has a heart attack
>defibrilate their stomach

It's Jack Nance.

Wut, if you actually follow the movie, there is not instantaneous take over, stop making up shit.

Huh. Maybe I should watch this. Also, those special effects. Somehow the practical stuff always grosses me out way more than the cg, even if it seems more fake, maybe because of that.

So what is the thing anyway? Alieum?

literally answered in the first 3 seconds of the movie

Bruh stop asking for spoilers and go watch it. The Thing is probably the greatest horror movie ever made.

Why are you even here discussing the movie if you haven't watched it ????

I wouldn't be surprised if Carpenter got some production worker to play the figure in that scene. I don't think you can determine who it was but my guess is Palmer. His actions when MacReady are locked up outside seem consistent with it.

Bait

k
Hard to believe.
I'm bored, I dunno. I'm waiting on something, and I saw the thread. I mean, unless you're making a concerted effort to find something new to watch, discussion is usually how you stumble upon recommendations.

practical effects and it taps into a specific sub-type of the horror genre that is more unsettling than slasher films or found footage stuff

>John Carpenter’s The Thing is quite similar in its ontological scheme to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The motivations of the Thing are the same as those of the Body Snatchers—to survive and reproduce. Only its method is different, which results in a somewhat greater degree of uncanniness in this film than in the earlier one.

>Because the title creature has the ability to remake itself as any and all life forms without their knowledge, the characters in the film cannot be sure who is a “thing” and who is not, since those who are transmuted retain their former appearance, memories, and behaviors even after they have become, in their essence, uncanny monstrosities from another world.

>Naturally, those at the Antarctic station are invested in repressing any consciousness that they are things, just as those who witness someone in the midst of an epileptic seizure are invested in thinking they are not things of parts that are made as they are made and are all clockwork processes rather than immutable beings unchanging at their heart.

>By isolation (putting this possibility out of their minds), the latter can maintain their sense of being idealized beings, integral and undivided, and not mechanisms—human puppets who do not know themselves as such.

need to continue next quote in separate part

intardasting, never thought of it that way

why it's particularly unsettling as a viewer:

>No one wants to be other than they are, or think they are. That is a fate worse than death: the transformation in which you stop being you. And better to die than to live in an assimilated condition, even one that is permanently collected and reassuring rather than vulnerable to the startling and dreadful. Our sense of the uncanny is too ingrained in us as beings that may not be what we think we are, but who will hold on for dear life to survive and reproduce as our own species and not that of some alien power.

Why did you even bother?
Even worse are the retards who are gonna respond seriously

nigga

you on Sup Forums and you aint seen THE THING?

Get the fuck out faggot

Alien did age well though because the Alien has something like 3 minutes of screentime. It's the sequels that look bad, Alien 3 is literally MSpaint tier and I haven't seen Resurrection in forever because it sucked dick but I'm sure it looks bad these days too.

practical effects can be obvious but still make you go "wow how did they do that" or "that looks crazy"

when it's CGI all you think is "this is some anything's possible cartoon shit"

Thank you I can't be the only one who notices this bullshit.

That's a nice Thing discussion you got going on. It would be a shame if something happened to it.

What is Garry's assimilation.

Eh, not to me. The more we know about biology the more impossible the Thing seems. I mean the metabolism alone required to do some of the transformations it does seems staggering.

but the Alien concept is one that just seems more and more plausible over the years. Xenos are basically Genetically engineered super parasite? Humans are literally engineering parasites to administer vaccines as we speak.

yeah the Alien's growth from chest buster to full grown Alien is unbelievably fast also. But thats like the only aspect you have to suspend disbelief for.

are you 14? How have you never seen or even heard of The Thing

>metabolism
How the fuck do you know the thing even has a metabolism

we dont even know what the thing looks like without a vessel

it doesn't even have to be carbon based

Even crazier when you factor in that Rob Bottin was only 23 when he did the effects for The Thing.

I think that was more of the Blair-Thing thinning out the numbers.

So he could get a hand

>aliens can grow to a fairly large immature form inside a person in a few hours while the person just feels ill
Totally believable

The thing mimics people on the cellular level, not genetic level. I guess that's so it's capable of copying identifiable scars and shit.

Anyways, that means if the thing copies a guy with a heart murmur, it's gonna look like it has a heart murmur

There's way more stupid shit. Xenos breathe but when Ripley left the Nostromo and LV-426 in the sequel a xeno just fucking sticks around on the hull of the ship in space.

>the thing assimilates organisms composed mostly of carbon and water
>organisms that consume as its primary fuel source, chains of molecules made out of carbon and water
>organisms that have a copy of its genetic code in every cell, written in carbohydrates, made out of carbon

>DUDE what if it wasn't carbon based WHAT IF IT WAS SILICON BASED HAHA SCIENCE LMAO RICK AND MORTY DUDE BAZINGA
k

writing ... all that shit

autism based lifeform

Have you guys all read "The Things" fanfiction?

It's a retelling of the entire movie from the perspective of The Thing.

Literally don't even watch this movie. It would be wasted on you, damn.

The Thing is beyond your level of appreciation. I'm not saying it's god's gift to man, but it's a fine horror movie. You need two to three watches to track the "path" of the "thing".