What was so special about his sushi?

What was so special about his sushi?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dn88LiPOKMc
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lckYtOBTt48
youtube.com/watch?v=2K2bIAikUg4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing, rice and a piece of fish will never be considered superior to any other type of food. Take the 2 most bland things on this planet and put them together

Nothing really. Just something special about a man dedicating his life to his passion

don't forget the sauce so you can pretend it has any flavour

Why does his son look so JUST

mostly how expensive the fish was and attention to detail

most famous chefs will tell you that difference between 3 star michelin restaurants is attention to detail and quality of ingredients, everything from the rice, to vinegar, soy sauce, and fish are all expensive high quality stuff and they are prepared by a guy who is dedicated to his craft for decades doing only one thing

its a bit autistic so no doubt there will be manchildren who don't understand why people would pay 300 bucks for it

People would pay for it mostly so that other people know that they've paid for it, thus making those people better

His secret ingredient was autism.

thumbnail looks like a burn victim

these are the cheapest food items in the world. I can guarantee there is no difference between $150 vs $300 sushi if they were equal quantities.

high quality tuna is really expensive

how can you really guarantee anything, there are a lot of shit sushi places with that mindset that its just fish and rice and they go out of business all the time

>"Women can't become cooks. There is a biolical impediment, mainly the period, which makes them not good at tasting."

Jesus christ Jiro. It certainly was a different time.

his sushi is just sushi. beleiving in the mystique aroudn him is beleiving into food culture hype. it is fresh fish sliced thinly and served with some soy sauce.

he might be dedicated to the art, or craft, of sushi, but if you were to visi his restauarant and then rave about how it eas better than other good sushi joints, it is because of the placebo effect of the crowd and confirmation bias.

sushi is nice, but if you are just eating raw fish with some soy sauce, it is down to the quality of ingredients, not about who sliced it.

a big part of it is the Bourdainisation of food, where Bourdain visits somewhere and it gains a seal of approval, even though everything he tries is "great".

Exposure doens't equal quality

>I can guarantee there is no difference between $150 vs $300 sushi

Holy shit, ultrapleb detected. I bet you're at least 50% kike as well.

>I bet you're at least 50% kike as well.

why are you saying this like it's a bad thing? We have higher IQs and we dominate the upper echelons of society

Have you taken an IQ test?

It's the same thing as people who speed run videogames. It's an autists hobby

Remember when he ate that old pet iguana

The presentation.

Yes, that's right. Waste your money on non-tangibles. real pleb

Nothing. If he spent less time sperging out over presentation, the food would get to my mouth faster, be fresher, and consequently taste better.

youtube.com/watch?v=dn88LiPOKMc

where's this guy's movie? at least he cooks his food

>B-but I'm a straight up genius user
>posting on Sup Forums

Thanks for playing; kys.

>literally so poor that he things dropping spare cash on quality food is a "waste".

Enjoy your food coupons or whatever it is you people eat.

People get this upset over 1 documentary?
Theres a lot of 3 star sushi places in the world.
The promise of 3 stars is you get the highest quality product every single time you eat there.

But you're also cheapskates, which was what user was eluding to.

>Enjoy your food coupons or whatever it is you people eat.
$150 on a meal ain't food coupons faggot.

>kys
>that reaction image

clearly a redditor

re-evaluate your life goy

Actual sushi chef here. You're correct.

>works at a conveyor belt sushi place in the mall

The secret was "perceived value"

the marketing

Mid to high end place actually. AMA.

fuck, that eel looked delicious

Can I have a job?

Japan is the Britain of Asia, except Britain actually improved their cuisine massively during the culinary (French inspired, admittedly) revolution of the 70s and 80s.

Japan never had this. They are a nation of conservatives (which is normally a positive trait, but not in cases involving food) who refuse to. progress their cuisine further. Their food is often bland as shit, because incorporating spices is too novel for them..

Japanese desserts are the absolute pinnacle of this mindset. Having such a hard-on for desserts and not being able to make them taste good (or in many cases, taste of anything) is truly being a master of incompetence.

>high quality tuna is really expensive

not really. japs only pay so much every year to get their restaurant name in the news. no other reason.

the same omakase course that costs 20,000 yen in a meme tokyo restaurant costs me 3,000 in the sushi places right next to my local fish market. otoro is otoro, however mighty and expensive the fish was.

>Everybody ITT thinking they know what it tastes like despite never being able to afford it even if they saved a lifetime of neetbux
As somewhat of a cultural savant, I can appreciate the finer things in life. Enjoy your supermarket chicken-katsu sushi, fucking plebs.

>As somewhat of a cultural savant, I can appreciate the finer things in life

It's like $300 or something. It's hardly a lamborghini.

Or you can go to his other sons restaurant, pay half of that, have it equally as good and you won't have a crusty, ass-faced old autist staring intensely at you whilst you eat

>it's too autistic for manchildren to understand

I preferred Jiro Nightmares of Assrape desu

You've probably never had a bad ass $20 piece of nigiri. I'm not even a weeb. But there's a bad ass sushi joint where I live and it's fucking hella expensive but maybe one of the best things I've ever had. I've never knew what the big deal was with nigiri probably cause most sushi joints only use passable fish.

That sweet fresh tuna or salmon. Damn... I wish I wasn't too poor to eat there.

Im sure jiro's sushi isn't worth the price but he gets first pick at the fish which is massive and also Yeah Japan are pretty gay about traditional ways so they will spend top dollar for the mystique of it all. But hell rich westerners will too so fuck it. I'm sure there are burger joints that charge you $200

>hella
>badass
>dollars

opinion irrelevant.

Anyone ever been to one of those All-You-Can-Eat sushi places?
I was thinking of going to one for lunch today.

Good to know

you're welcome. stick to fast food.

he would slice it so thin that it would liquefy in the pan with a bit of oil

FISH
NICE AND RAW
RICE, IN
ADD... YOUR SAUCE

documentary when?

>I-I'm not poor user; I just can't afford things.

Sure user

>clearly a redditor

Oh damn user, you dun got me good. BTFO, as they say.

>oh wow he's so old and has been making sushi for so long
>all he does in life is make sushi he must be good at it
>he makes the sushi in a train station, so humble, wow!
>he's so soft spoken and kawaii, so traditional, so beautiful!
>he waked up at 4am every morning to inspect the fish and make love to it before he serves it
>oh wow he prays to each piece of sushi before he serves it
>oh my god look at that cinematography, I want sushi now!
>this must be so much better than my whole foods california roll!
>oh and he's teaching his son, how cute, how humble

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lckYtOBTt48
Had eel made similarly to this. Made pretty embarrassing sounds as I ate it desu.

It's like using my parents knives. The knives are about 10 years old and never been sharpened. They're so shit, that the butter knife is better at cutting bread than them.

The entire flick is just shitty "glorious Japan culture" wank. Shameful display.

>oh wow he's a shit tier husband and a crap father because he was never there for them
>oh wow he forces his son to take over the restaurant, and tells the other son to piss off on his own because of his legacy
>oh geesh, he gives women smaller portions than the males because they can't handle as much food

>t. uncultured swine who lives in a backwater bum fuck nowheresville shithole

alluding dipshit

Who does this faggot think he is?

this is bullshit. the best steak i ever had was in Japan.

when you take the culinary autism that the japanese have and apply it to other types of cuisine, magic happens.

I would literally murder my old man if he ever said this shit near me.

Seriously fuck soulless nips.

He's an old Japanese man who has an old Japanese profession. Therefore he's a master and basically Hattori Hanzo.

the doco about the sake boys was better imo.

His father won't die and can't take over because of Japanese customs

>the best steak i ever had was in Japan.

Christ almighty. You must have never had steak anywhere else in your life.

What's it called?

>he's never had wagyu or kobe beef
Feel sorry for you a little.

oh, it's "this" again

Literally what this entire topic is talking about. Congratulations, you fell for another Japanese marketing gimmick

Next you'll be talking about how good Japanese swords are

>When that steak melts in you mouth
Be careful though because I was in NYC and they tried to pass some hybrid wagyu off as the real thing.

>Japanese marketing gimmick
you can literally look at a piece of wagyu and tell the difference in quality from another breed of cattle.

anyways, it was when i was in the Navy. i've eaten steaks from 5 different continents and the Japs put a level of detail and autistic attention into their food that BTFO's anywhere else i've eaten.

>when i was in the Navy

I could not care less about the opinions of an american homosexual like yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=2K2bIAikUg4

probably nothing

he just keeps that whole air of eliteness about his restaurants

>6+ month reservation list
>you don't even choose from a menu you eat what he gives you
>women get smaller pieces so everyone finishes on time

suckers always fall for if a restaurant treats you like dogshit it must be the best

its fucking tokyo, there's probably a hundred old guys making sushi as good as his

>>you don't even choose from a menu you eat what he gives you
Wait what? People know this going in and they still eat there?
That's fucking retarded.

The French Laundry did/does the same thing and was considered the king of the californian food scene for quite some time.

Plebian as fuck

no use talking to fags who cant taste the difference between a flank and a tenderloin

Goddamned pretentious faggots.

Thanks man! I love my weeb documentaries and haven't seen this one

you should watch some about japanese prison, that's a trip

>>>he's never had wagyu or kobe beef
Imagine being this fucking dumb.

Japs are shit tier at meat. They do some solid knock-off sauces for low quality cuts, but they don't know the first fucking thing about steak.

He has a point..

Even though that's the last thing NEETS want to hear...

>Goddamned pretentious faggots
it is pretentious, but its also exciting in a way. the theatricality of it all makes the experience more entertaining.

I can kinda see that. It's kind of like why gambling is fun, and why life is like a box of chocos.
But still, I hate wanky pretentious restaurants that do this sort of shit because "le look at how le artist(autist) our chef is he must le have his way"
You're in the SERVICE industry you fucks.

Imagine becoming an adult in the 1940s and spending your entire life since then, 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week, making sushi. What is the point? This man knows nothing else in life.

>"le look at how le artist(autist) our chef is he must le have his way"

the restaurants i've eaten at that did it that way, it wasn't like that at all. usually the chef will come out and say hello, make some small talk, and maybe share a glass of wine with you. then he'd go back and make you what he thinks you would like just from getting to know you in such a short time. its more of a "i know whats going to blow your mind more than you do" kind of thing.

Got any titles?

Explain what else he could be doing that you consider more productive

>force a life into the world with no way to get their consent
>refuse to take responsibility for the thing you chose to force upon yourself
I'm not even a NEET but you can't deny this is selfish and irresponsible as fuck. Most people want to leave home as soon as they can so it's not even much of an issue, but if you are part of the small percentage who want to be a NEET your parents should facilitate you. It's like adopting a dog and then complaining you have to feed it.

>Most people want to leave home as soon

This is primarily a western invention.

Okay, that makes sense and doesn't sound so bad. In my head I was imagining a soup nazi-esque chef who just gives you whatever the fuck he wants without even meeting you to preserve some sort of imagined artistic integrity.

the Japs are exceedingly proficient at copying other cuisine and applying their autistic min/max mindset to it. you go to a nice french restaraunt in japan and you aren't getting anything ground breaking or innovative, you are getting some straight classic french cuisine that has meticulous attention to detail and consistency.

even the generic low price family joints do this. you go in and order something and it comes to your table looking identical to the picture on the menu, and identical to guys plate across the restaurant who ordered the same thing.

you type like a 14 year old

Maybe, I live in England and most people I know are in their mid 20s and still live with their parents so they can pay reduced rent. My parents want to live at home forever but that's probably an exception.

If he was this dedicated he could have put that time into anything else and become great at it.

>be poor
>never had kobe or wagyu beef
>hurrr its shit tier japs dont know shit
all of my kek

>be poor

Only poor people think the price of that beef is expensive enough to justify calling people poor for not buying it.

Thanks for showing us how poor you are

>their kids turn out to be failures
>one of his sons is literally pining for him to die just so he can have his own business