Is cinema dying?

>"You know, people assume that because I’m a director, I make tons of money. I am struggling financially. Now, I’m very lucky I get to do what it is I want to do. I’ve made, good or bad, very uncompromising movies, the movies exactly that I wanted to make, and that’s a beautiful gift, so I’m not complaining about that. But I struggle. I have a hard time paying my bills. I’m 47 years old, I live in an apartment, I can’t buy a house.

>If I were coming of age in 1973, I would be in Bel Air. The whole reason for this is exactly what we were talking about, where the middle is gone. So now you have franchises, and you have, ‘I made a movie on my iPhone.’ This is the economic system in a nutshell, right?

>Five directors make Marvel, and then there’s the rest of us who are trying to scrounge around to find the money to make films. And it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: If the audience only gets to see Marvel, then they only want Marvel, and then if they only want Marvel, only Marvel is made. I don’t even have a problem with Marvel. The problem is not the specifics of each movie, the problem is it’s the only movie you can see now in a multiplex, and when it’s the only game in town, you’re looking at the beginning of the death throes of an art form."

- James Gray

vulture.com/2017/04/lost-city-of-z-and-the-decline-of-middle-class-films.html

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/why-hollywood-as-we-know-it-is-already-over
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is cinema dying?
Yes, and that's a good thing, they pump out hot garbage

Make watchable movies or reduce the cost of movies. Union rules means it near impossible to make a inexpensive film.

Blame the no singles policy.

fuck marvel. DC will make movies great again

>Union rules means it near impossible to make a inexpensive film.

Union Rules just mean that people working on the film get paid a fair and proper wage for their work. And even then movie studios get around that by filming in non-union countries (that is literally my job, I work a movie job in Canada that would be union in US, and we get tons of work cause we get paid peanuts compared to American companies, but we get paid about half of what an American studio gets paid and with few benefits).

What bloats the budget of movies today is shady bookkeeping (like movie studios overcharging themselves with another company they own, so the movie looks like it cost more and they have to pay back less to investors), and an over reliance on CGI to fix things that could have been done cheaper with practical effects or location shooting, but they either wanted the status of a CGI budget (practical effects are often consider "low budget" or "artsy" for movies) or didn't want the hassle of shooting on location.

>makes niche films no one wants to see besides film critics and other film makers
>upset that begin mentioned at cannes doesn't pay bills

Other kinds of artists have trouble paying bills as well. The guy in your local piano bar is probably more talented than 98% of the musicians who had #1 billboard hits. The street artists who sell original works in the park downtown for $50 are also more talented than almost any comic book illustrator or cartoonist.

>Union Rules just mean that people working on the film get paid a fair and proper wage for their work. And even then movie studios get around that by filming in non-union countries (that is literally my job, I work a movie job in Canada that would be union in US, and we get tons of work cause we get paid peanuts compared to American companies, but we get paid about half of what an American studio gets paid and with few benefits).

No, its that due to union rules you can't be efficient, it not about pay, it about efficiency.

Due to union rules it takes 200 people to do a 40 person job.

vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/why-hollywood-as-we-know-it-is-already-over

>Due to union rules it takes 200 people to do a 40 person job.

The truth is in the middle.

You have a job that needs 50 people. So unions want 100, and studios wants to employ 10. So the studio/Union compromises. The American filming is done with 1.5x the number of people it really needs. And then the international stuff is done with about half of what it needs (they just work unpaid overtime and get paid 50-70% what their American counterparts would get). And everyone is happy because the unions protected American jobs and the studios get their cheap overworked labor while still looking like they support unions. And the foreign laborers gets work they normally wouldn't, and yeah they get abused a bit, but they also get the opportunity to replace the lazy Americans if they work hard enough and are willing to move to the states.

>practical effects are often consider "low budget" or "artsy" for movies
Jesus fucking Christ, that explains so much to me. Why is Hollywood so fucking retarded?

For my money, ain't nothing will ever beat the theater experience. Just too many great feels to be had.
>taking a newly trained falcon to see a flick for the first time
>buying a medium popcorn when you're on a budget and savoring the more maneuverable wheelbarrow that comes with it
>getting picked as the designated shooter and setting a new theater record with your SKS
>the thrill of crawling through no man's land, dodging spotlights and death squads when you're single just to see the latest capeshit
>taking a qt to a kino and catching her shy but impressed gaze when you get picked for a random penis inspection

Nothing quite like it, boys!

A lot of planning and work goes into making high quality big budget practical effects.

Because practical effects are physical things, you need to plan out what you need months in advance, and once its made it can be sometimes impossible or very difficult to change or expand on it for a new shot.

Most directors don't want that headache, so they just rely on the magic of CGI. And if you want to tempt a good director onto your project, you better be willing to pay the extra for CGI so he doesn't have to deal with all that extra planning if he doesn't want to.

The artsy thing just really comes from the fact that more artsy directors are willing to put in the time and planning to use practical effects, so they use them more. So if you are a lazy director and don't want to acknowledge yourself as being lazy you lump practical effects as something "Artsy" you don't need.
because CGI blood is totally realistic looking and not garbage at all.

And that's your opinion my man. I respect it. But that doesn't mean I have to accept it. But that does mean you have to accept this dick. I'm bending you over my coffee table and pulling your pants down. I'm lubing up your asshole and throwing out some bantz now. I'm inserting myself fully inside your anus, shoving deep into your rectum. Thrusting back and forth, in and out, grunting and sweating while you're moaning and bucking. Pretty soon I'll blow my load deep into your colon and we'll share a passionate kiss as I continue to fuck you, churning my milky cum into a sticky white froth.

Free market bitch. Practically the only reason to even go to a movie theater is to see extremely expensive CGI on the biggest screen possible and 9001 dB surround sound speaker system rupturing my ear drums. I'm not going to spend $15 to see some artfart movie that is not benefited from a theater going experience.

Yes. Hollywood studios did it by themselves. They killed middle budget movies. What we are left with is low budget indie movies and gargantuan blockbusters with massive budgets and even more massive marketing budgets. Really big and bland films that can't risk to alienate any part of potential audience, ending up with movies that look cool but have no actual story.

We get occasional perfect or almost perfect low budget indie films that are brilliant.

As result Hollywood killed movie makers ability to naturally progress to giant projects as professionals. The even bigger thing they killed is creativity in movies. Big budget blockbusters can't usually take risks, like potentially alienating some potential audiences. So they hire proven folks who they know that can deliver and follow orders from studio executives.

Let me tell you a story...
>going to the movies with a bro
>bro is gay
>bro bets that if his penis gets a better rating during the inspection that he gets a blowjob
>if i win i get 100 bucks
>i've got a clean, uncut dick, no problem
>I lose
>i go double or nothing with my bro, if his falcon gains air dominance over mine he gets a blowjob and fucks my butt
>if mine wins i wipe away the debt
>my falcon is utterly dominated
>i'm kind of in shock as he forces me to my knees
>he tilts my face up to his and kisses me before shoving it down my throat
>it's so good, the taste of it and the heat coming off the shaft and the way it fills my mouth
>he facefucks me for 5-10 minutes, then lifts me onto a seat and puts me face down
>starts to push his cock in my ass
>it curves up, presses against my prostate as he enters further and further
>i'm mumbling and drooling as he holds my hips down
>leaking precum
>strokes my hair as i get used to having his cock in my ass, i start to notice little details like his balls against my ass and his breathing
>we make out a little, he grabs my hips again
>slowly pumps in and out as we kiss
>starts fucking harder and harder until i'm yelping each time he slams it in to the hilt
>he's thrusting into me, i'm arching and pushing into him, we're operating in unison
>each thrust sends warm waves rolling throughout my body, i'm moaning like a whore
>i arch back as hard as i can, letting him slam his cock into my prostrate with each thrust
>he's jerking me off, i'm delirious
>we both cum, he's like an explosion of warmth inside of me
>now i'm a fag
Moral of the story is always win.

>Let me tell
Stopped reading there.

*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.
See you on the boards...

>*
Stopped reading there.

Okay, friend. Okay.
You got me!
You got me over a barrel. You've got my wrists tied, you've got my ankles secured.
I'm not going anywhere.
What's that you're... oh. Oh you're pulling my pants down. Boxers, too.
That's fine. I won't struggle. Next you'll... ooh! Ooh that's cold! The lube! The lube you're rubbing on my asshole.
Hang on there a seco--oof!! Oh wow! Oh wow you're in my ass! Th-thrusting in and o-out!
I can f-feel you! Y-yeah I can f-feel you. You're whole l-length. I-in and o-out! I-it's good. H-hitting the sweet spot! Hitting m-my p-prostate!
OOOHH!! OOOOOHHH I'M GONNA CUM!!
*screams in ecstasy as you explode inside of me*

>8
Stopped reading there.

Haha, nice one kid! I like your moxie, I really do. You remind me of a younger me.
Back when I was just starting out on the boards, I would pull stunts like this all the time. Turn a meme on its ear. Try to be a "big guy" and impress the oldfags. It's completely normal.
But ya know what, kid? In time you'll come to learn that there's more to memery than simple tradition. There's great strength in it. Playing along with some OP's epic bait isn't something we do because we want to fit in. We do it because it weeds out the reddit fags and normies from the true memesmen of Sup Forums.
You stay around here long enough, kid, and you'll come to realize this. But for now, get out there, have some fun, and think about what I said.
And then read the first letter of each sentence of this post ;^)

Stopped reading there.

>making indie films doesn't pay bills
No fucking shit dude. Why do you think when these indie directors hit gold they immediately take up the huge Blockbuster hit.

normies have shit taste and only like AAA big budget productions, go figure.

Studios have it on themselves, think at how often a studio will move the release date as if to say "I don't care about this movie", but then why did you fund it? Why did you not market it? Why release it in a timeframe where you knew it would fail.

Is like watching a retard hit himself with an hammer, he knows it will hurt, but then he bitches when it hurts.

its bs. he just makes shit movies. john wick, ex machina, even get out.

audience is more populous as ever, and a good chunk are sophisticated enough to enjoy and support a movie that brings something fresh

There are plenty of actors that aren't A listers that dont demand 20$ million per film. For example, any movie released in January through March. The total budget for these movies is 5-10$ million dollars and can make a boatload

I didn't read the rest of this thread before replying to you, but at least I read the OP.

If cinema is dying, it's not taking the hot garbage with it. The hot garbage will be all that's left.

Ego gets in the way. Look at what happened to Snowpiercer. Harvey Weinstein completely fucked the movie over because the director wouldn't give to his shit.

>Demanded 20 minutes cut from 126 minute film, add voiceovers to fill in story
>Said film wouldn't be understood in places like Iowa and Oklahoma without direct explanations
>When director wouldn't budge, dropped film from 1,000 theater release to just 8 - FUCKING EIGHT
>Claimed the audience score of 75% on Rotten Tomatos proved he was right about the film, ignoring the fact thanks to him hardly anyone saw it and critics loved it

Is 75% supposed to be a bad score?

It's dying *as an artform.* It's doing fine as a business.

Look at the films that have been winning Oscars the last 2-3 decades. They are mostly garbage compared to the movies that were winning 60 years ago. I know a retarded reddit subhuman might try to argue some recent movie is even half as good as LoA or Chinatown, but please, just kys yourself instead and save us all the bother.

I agree with you. I even think up until 2010 shit was good

>2007 was one hell of a year - no country, The Wrestler TWBB etc

Film isn't dying, it's fucking dead.

Fuck them.

>>making indie films doesn't pay bills
He's not talking about indie films, he's talking about middle films (mid budget, full creative control, no artistic compromises, but still populist genre spectacle with strong narrative focus like crime films or scifi, for a mature audience instead of kids and women), like The Godfather and Taxi Driver, or for that matter even Jaws and Star Wars 1. He's talking about what defined New Hollywood.

amateurish sexting desu

how bad does a AAA video game have to be to get a 7.5 from a big name reviewer?

Those aren't good movies.

Yeah those are good movies, but not Chinatown good. It's only gone downhill since.