youtube.com/watch?v=TGhe9LgnoTo
youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI
youtube.com/watch?v=aZaSgnYLceQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nhHa7ph5GLg
youtube.com/watch?v=RCcJnffie48
youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24
youtube.com/watch?v=rNIAup2O1QU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqE1BLvISI
independent.ie/irish-news/politics/state-papers-gerry-adams-accused-of-setting-up-ira-men-for-slaughter-by-sas-36443155.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

windy!

>w-we're not weebs btw
mentally ill faggots

Maidin.

>Missed a skype invasion thread yesterday
Such a shame

How's everyones christmas going? Was disappointed not to see any snow this morning.

Accidentally bumped the other thread because I didn't realise there was this one. Whoops.

>How's everyones christmas going
Alright. How's yours?

>bumped the other thread
Treason.

archive.fo/wnV60
>Loyalists told Charles Haughey MI5 ‘asked us to execute you’
>UVF wrote to taoiseach saying it refused request from British intelligence officer
Straight from the national archives. It would appear that unlike the British, we don't "misplace" articles of significance relating to the Troubles.

>Alright. How's yours?
Quite good. Was doing lots of family stuff over the past few days but my sister and brother went back home today so can finally spend some quality time with the Switch.

>Irish citizens' views of prominent world leaders

>Merkel that favourable
>Putin that unfavourable
Upsetting but not surprising

Why the fuck would that be upsetting? Putin is one of the most corrupt leaders of a "developed" country.

I'd be surprised if most people were even able to recognise some of those eastern leaders.

>Putin that unfavourable
>Upsetting
Why? Do you like him?

Would generally agree. I like Merkel and Macron and dislike or know very little about the other elected leaders although I'd feel somewhat neutral with May and sympathise with the difficult situation shes been thrown into.

>the Pope that high
Pleasantly surprised, thought people hated the Catholic Church now

>I'd feel somewhat neutral with May and sympathise with the difficult situation shes been thrown into.
I can see where you're coming from, but she brought a lot of this on herself by holding that snap election and entering a coalition with the DUP.

>entering a coalition with the DUP
Did she have a choice? Don't think there was another way she could've remained in power?

My point was that she shouldn't have called the election in the first place. By calling it she lost her majority and had to enter into a coalition with the DUP.

>no comment on it in the British media

>shouldn't have called the election in the first place
Was it really that bad of an idea? Sure, in hindsight she fucked up, but everyone said Corbyn hadn't a chance and it would've given them another year or two to deal with Brexit without Labour taking over.

I can appreciate she saw the situation as a necessary risk for having a comfortable majority to pass brexit given the dissent within Tory ranks. She didn't have a great deal to lose and a lot to gain, given the poll position at the time it would have been seen as sensible.
Unfortunately for her and her party they ran a terrible campaign and thought the British public would lap up the smear job on Corbyn.

>Was it really that bad of an idea?
About as bad of an idea as FG's "Keep the recovery going" election campaign. The purpose of the election May called wasn't to get a "mandate" from the British people - she already had that. She thought she could get a larger majority in parliament, which would give her the surplus necessary to ignore rebel Tory MPs from both the Eurosceptic and Europhile sides of the divide. But like FG in the last election, she underestimated two things: (i) the rancour that was rife among the British populace, and (ii) the strength of the opposition.

Granted, I don't think Corbyn expected the positive result that Labour achieved. But the Lib Dems also did quite well for themselves all things considered.

>She didn't have a great deal to lose and a lot to gain, given the poll position at the time it would have been seen as sensible.
Any politician that takes unnecessary risks on the basis of polls in this day and age only has themselves to blame.

>Any politician that takes unnecessary risks on the basis of polls in this day and age only has themselves to blame.
The polls were accurate though, they swung more towards Labour as the campaign progressed. Political parties have their own internal polling teams as well so are well aware if a media outlets polling isn't reflected among the public.

>The polls were accurate though, they swung more towards Labour as the campaign progressed
You're misunderstanding my point. I never said that the polls were inaccurate in forecasting the last UK election. Rather I'm saying that that it's unwise to use polls as the basis for unnecessary decisions of significant political consequence.

I no longer see polls as reliable for long-term decision-making in the modern age. In Western democracies, party allegiances are weakening and "floating voters" are becoming more numerous and relevant - we can see that in Ireland and elsewhere. May underestimated these floating voters and the ability of Labour and the Lib Dems to win them over. She placed far too much faith in Labour continuing to be a weak opposition rather than the strengths of the Tory party. She campaigned on the premise that there was no viable alternative to the Conservative party because she believed that was all she had to do because the polls were on her side. Notice how the Conservative campaign sort of fell apart when the poll results started to reverse - there was no back-up plan. Soon May was avoiding public debates and press conferences, which exacerbated the issue further.

All in all, the decision to hold an unnecessary election during a tumultuous period in British politics and to then run a cynical and arrogant campaign was a stupid decision regardless of whether it was based on the polls or not. But the polls were indeed a determinant in May's decision.

strawpoll.me/14720498
strawpoll.me/14720498

Nice poll. Not that we should be using that for any long-term political decision-marking.

This VRchat game looks crazy.

>two Shimakazes
VR has gone too far.

>Rather I'm saying that that it's unwise to use polls as the basis for unnecessary decisions of significant political consequence.
What metric would you suggest is used instead to determine voter approval and intentions?

>the decision to hold an unnecessary election during a tumultuous period in British politics
It was an opportunity to bring certainty through giving her a full mandate to negotiate and pass brexit, something not possible previously. She gambled a bad position on a high probability of a very good position. It was a sensible decision followed by an awful campaign.

>order shoes on Amazon
>choose to get them delivered to post office
>notified they were delivered today
>go to post office
>they say they got no deliveries today
Thought I saw a shoe box shaped parcel there too and all

thejournal.ie/most-popular-baby-names-ireland-2017-3773224-Dec2017/

Don't some of those names seem a bit English to be so popular?

>choose to get them delivered to post office
Why?

>two Shimakazes
One is a trap though.

They used to be higher status names so more people adopted them to the point were they're common. Now I'd associate Irish names with the middle class in the likes of South Dublin. These shifts in tastes happen all the time

It's in NI. The seller doesn't deliver to the Republic

Why single out South Dublin? I'd say they're popular all over the country.

Maybe he sees it as cultural appropriation in South Dublin but genuine elsewhere? There are a lot of middle class south Dublin types who have a superficial interest in the Irish language and will happily use names and a few terms to throw into English sentences as something which is fashionably unique to their heritage but have no actual intention of ever learning the language.

I find trends usually start in South Dublin before trickling down, eventually reaching council estates. What is popular there is a good benchmark for what is trendy and therefore higher social status. That's not to say that there is the only part of the country that you will find Irish names, hence I said "the likes of"

You're the Dundalk lad I presume? Ever paid a visit to Slab's farm?

>You're the Dundalk lad I presume?
Yes
>Ever paid a visit to Slab's farm?
Nope. It's not exactly like Newgrange farm where you would go to it on a school tour or anything

Hopefully the MI5 thing will worsen Anglo-Irish relations. War for Northern independence when?

>No army council tour guide
>No laundered fuel as a souvenir
Disappointing

JUPITERIAN

They're spamming "Amoris Laetitia" around all over the place even though it's a mess. It seems to be winning back passive respectability for the church from the gen X/late boomer crowd though, what with vaguely intimating a leniency towards remarriage that is canonically impossible.
Plus it sounds like a Harry Potter spell more than an older style of papal bull with more "metal" opening words.

Tell us about it

youtube.com/watch?v=teMM0qjtEKo

About Slab's farm or an imaginary school tour there?

>What metric would you suggest is used instead to determine voter approval and intentions?
I don't have an answer for that I'm afraid.

>It was a sensible decision followed by an awful campaign.
I disagree. She had all the mandate she needed by British standards. As I said, all she was really looking for was a bigger parliamentary majority so that she could bypass rebel Tories. And as we've seen recently, such rebels have been causing considerable problems for May since Phase 1 negotiations ended and a deal was agreed with the EU.

To be fair, if you encounter a Shimakaze anywhere online, there's a 50% chance that it's a trap.

Both.

I just would've been happy to see the underground torture chamber that he has in it

I fucking hate the Irish public. So stupid.
And i hate the Pope too.

Brits out.

The Pope is a cuck and the public are sheep

Except you though, eh?

youtube.com/watch?v=ppYgrdJ0pWk
youtube.com/watch?v=TGhe9LgnoTo

>Putin became a Serb

Not very Christian.

youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI
youtube.com/watch?v=aZaSgnYLceQ

>xkcd
good taste user

>Not posting the best Sonic 2 zone theme
youtube.com/watch?v=nhHa7ph5GLg

Yes

I know but just go with it

Neither is the Pope.

Don't you have shitposting to be doing in /brit/?

So you base your positions on the Christianity of the Pope and not the fundamental tolerance of Jesus' message? Sounds almost blasphemous.

>implying
youtube.com/watch?v=RCcJnffie48

>tolerance

If you have to tolerate the message of Jesus then you are not a Christian

kiki was a good children's film tbqhwu

Just playing along here but the whole notion of horned people having an association with evil was part of Christian propaganda to begin with as an effort to demonise other gods, specifically Greek in this case.

Chemical Plant Zone gets a respectful second place.
Presumably we both agree on the best track from Sonic 3?
youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24

>Presumably we both agree on the best track from Sonic 3?
This I actually do agree with. Nothing else comes close.

You're obviously not a Christian at all but a sectarian bigot.

>specifically Greek in this case
Fecking Greeks.

I know. And if you look back at the origins of Satan then you can't take it literally or seriously. Infact i don't really take any institutionalised religion seriously because the bulk of them all is just dogma. The only thing i care about in spirituality is the core of it and that is Mysticism. The Hindus, Taoists and Buddhists have a more practical and fruitful way with spirituality i would admit but i would not have loyalty to them still. Just pick a system or a path and go for it.

But the Pope is still a spineless globalist cuck and i will call him the anti-Christ for shitposting.

>You're obviously not a Christian at all but a sectarian bigot.
Holy shit when did r/Ireland join in?

They invented gayness

>act sectarian
>get called out on it
>"Must be /r/ireland!"

Where is the sectarianism in any of my posts? And who even give a shite? It's not like you's all aren't sectarian towards brits.

>sectarian towards brits
Do you even know what "sectarian" means?

>The Hindus, Taoists and Buddhists have a more practical and fruitful way with spirituality i would admit but i would not have loyalty to them still.
The more I hear about Buddhism the more it makes a lot of sense to me, it does seem like a far better way to give spiritual guidance in the modern age than the fear and shame type religions.

>the fear and shame type religions.
What's wrong with fear and shame? Keeps you in line.

Yes, do you? Because you are tossing that word about as if you don't.
>Adhering or confined to the dogmatic limits of a sect or denomination; partisan

youtube.com/watch?v=rNIAup2O1QU

You're all wrong

It's impossible to be sectarian towards the British as you claim by virtue of that very definition you just posted. Being British isn't a dogma.

It's like Hinduism but more straight to the point. It is a good way, but Christianity can be good to if you actually practice it (no one really does today). I think Buddhism and other eastern religions like it are more sophisticated desu.

Ok so how would i be sectarian again?

>I think Buddhism and other eastern religions like it are more sophisticated desu
I'd argue that the novelty factor plays a role in that too,you know it's more "exotic" to us westerners than Christendom or judaism and therefore we may look at it in a more favourable way

They're different in the sense they're based more on orthopraxy rather than orthodoxy.

Negative reinforcement causes resentment and never actually changes mindset or beliefs. Wanting to do bad things but resisting the temptation because of fear of consequences is not the same as never wanting to do them because you believe they're wrong.

>Wanting to do bad things but resisting the temptation because of fear of consequences is not the same as never wanting to do them because you believe they're wrong.
Both achieve the same result in that you don't do the bad thing, so what's the problem?

You don't actually become a better person. It's a drag too if you are restraining yourself. Better to improve yourself.

The thing is, how does the one who needs improved do the improving of their selves?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqE1BLvISI

>It's a drag too if you are restraining yourself
No, it's self-discipline.

>Wanting to do bad things but resisting the temptation because of fear of consequences is not the same as never wanting to do them because you believe they're wrong.
That's entirely based on your perspective. People will still justify doing bad things, they'll just convince themselves they're in the right.

It's not self-discipline if you're doing it because you're afraid of getting caught, which was the point of the argument. It's self-preservation bordering on fear.

>It's not self-discipline if you're doing it because you're afraid of getting caught
Why not? You're still restraining your behaviour when presented with the choice of whether to do a bad thing or not. Nobody is making the choice for you.

You're restraining yourself out of fear, not because you have control over your emotions.

If you are restraining then there is still some resistance there. If you can learn to stop wanting instead then you don't need to strain. If you put effort into not acting upon desire then you are giving attention to the desire. If you accept the desire and not judge it but just observe it then the desire will pass.

independent.ie/irish-news/politics/state-papers-gerry-adams-accused-of-setting-up-ira-men-for-slaughter-by-sas-36443155.html

Was Gerry playing both sides?

>If you accept the desire and not judge it but just observe it then the desire will pass.
Very mindful of you desu

Gerry was playing 4D chess before it was even invented.

So, who is in the path of tonight's imminent storm?

hi hello kiki best girl thank you for your attention

Mainly in the north right? Who cares desu.

>status orange