/lang/

Language Learning Thread

>Hur dur which language should I learn?
Fuck off and come back when you have made a decision. We're not your parents

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Old thread: →
Ancient thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Korean
dic.daum.net/index.do?dic=eng
zkorean.com/dictionary/search
translate.naver.com/#/ko/en
reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/
domandhyo.com/
naver.com/
reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_korean
pastebin.com/MV1TvANL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Last thread

wie kann ich deutch lernen

hola y todo eso

Are you learning a minority language? Why?

How hard is it to learn Korean? I've always heard Hangul was designed to be easy to learn but it looks really hard.

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Korean
Read the bottom part.

Then
Korean:

Dictionary
dic.daum.net/index.do?dic=eng
zkorean.com/dictionary/search

Translator
translate.naver.com/#/ko/en

reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/
domandhyo.com/ (Korean with comics and shiet)
naver.com/ (News site and search engine)

and reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_korean for more.

from experience, the only things you might have difficulty with is the keyboard layout

Russian or Spanish?

welsh

Hangul is easy.
Hard part for an english native speaker are the foreign grammatical structures and foreign vocab.

pilin ni: sina jo ala e jan olin meli pi toki pona

o pana e pona tawa mi.

Nooooo

Spanish has tons of free resources and media, so I'd go for that. But, in the end it's all about what one you're most interested in.

japanese is easy

How the fuck do you start thinking inn another language? I cannot break this barrier with French. I can recognize words and conjugation is going well for me, but I just cannot grasp the natural word order.

But on an IQ level, Russian wins out doesn't it? I just think about those hordes of sub-humans in South America speaking Spanish.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Lots of great Russian literature as well.

I hate typing Japanese, it makes me feel bored unless it's a short message. Reading paragraphs is also very boring.. My mind just filters it all into English and I wondered why I bothered when Google translate does the same thing. What am I missing /pol?

italian or latin?

By /pol, I mean non-subhumans. Obviously.

fuck i know exactly how you feel, typing japanese on my iPad is okay cause all of the Hiragana are ACTUALLY on screen and in order, on my phone it’s absolutely cancer trying to type a simple sentence. Besides google translate sucks cock unless you’re looking for simple words in context, otherwise it’s shir.

You mean the flick input? You can just change it to querty/romaji style input. I don't have problems with the input style, I just don't enjoy thinking/typing in Japanese yet. Reading it's generally fine though if it's for an RPG, short news article etc.

Latin seems cooler. Italian seems more useful

>>Hur dur which language should I learn?
>Fuck off and come back when you have made a decision. We're not your parents
Yeah FUCK people who come here looking for advice or second opinions, absoloute RETARDS, this thread is FULL. We DOMINATE Sup Forums and in every edition every post is so valuable we just CANT have people wasting our precious space.
Choosing a language to dedicate hours of your day to is the EASIEST decision to make. Fucking PLEBS.

yes, that is the main thing putting me off from learning Spanish. It's not nearly as useful as they say it is if all the speakers are legitimately retarded.

Latin if you are planning space travel on the Event Horizon, otherwise Hindi.

But on the other hand, they are consumers. Get in the mind of the customer. You could make a killing off them perhaps.

learning swedish so i can black a cute girl and go to university in stockholm

We need Malaysia user to make the threads again.

Which are the best German courses? I looked at Pimsleur but unless I downloaded a wrong version, it's just a list of words with audios of a guy speaking them.

Pimsleur is pretty bad in my opinion, just boring repetion for 30 minutes per lesson. If you wanna do an audio course try Michel Thomas. And yes you've downloaded the wrong thing, a lesson usually consists of a dialog.

Is fully completing and absorbing a duolingo course enough to know a language?
Is it not all just memorizing ever more obscure vocabulary after that point?

Well, actually I'd much prefer books, though I don't mind if they come with audios.

Duolingo isn't worth shit.

Shit, I misquoted, this was intended for you, user
>Well, actually I'd much prefer books, though I don't mind if they come with audios.

then what is worth shit?

michel thomas aint that good either
it takes a very specific mindset, and can instill a bad mentality

nothing is worth anything if you dont like it
use duolingo if you want, its a good introductory course

I know want to learn Mandarin Chinese, but I'm not sure how. Is SpoonFed Chinese(anki deck) worth it? The deck is quite different in style from the core/2k I used for Japanese, and it seems not many people use anki at all.

>and it seems not many people use anki at all
for learning Chinese, I mean.

domino learning is specialized for chinese, it is the best i have seen.

These threads die fast

how much does it cost

dominochinese.com

Then which is good, know any?

A teacher obviously, but if unable: a good grammar book plus audios and podcasts.

bump

B дeтcтвe я oчeнь любил бoлeть. Я любил бoлeть, дaжe кoгдa y мeня былa выcoкaя тeмпepaтypa и cильнo бoлeлa гoлoвa.

Я любил бoлeть, пoтoмy чтo в этo вpeмя мoя мaмa вceгдa былa co мнoй. Oнa нe хoдилa нa paбoтy, пoэтoмy мoглa пpoвoдить co мнoй вecь дeнь.

Moя мaмa – yдивитeльный чeлoвeк. Oнa oчeнь вecёлaя, дoбpaя, y нeё oткpытый и пpямoй хapaктep. Oнa peдкo paccтpaивaeтcя и ничeгo нe бoитcя.

Boзмoжнo, чтo oнa чacтo paccтpaивaлacь или бoялacь, нo никoгдa нaм этoгo нe пoкaзывaлa. Eё любимыe cлoвa были: «He бeдa! Bcё плoхoe пpoйдёт, вcё хopoшee ocтaнeтcя». И мы eй вepили.

Ceйчac я yжe взpocлый чeлoвeк и хopoшo пoнимaю, чтo пpoхoдит нe тoлькo плoхoe, нo и хopoшee.

This made me remember my mom.

So I'm looking for tips on learning greek. I have been using audio tapes from language transfer, but I want something more that I can enjoy while listening to. Also how big a deal is it if the textbooks I'm using are 80 years old. Am I going to sound like a weirdo?

80 years is a long time. There's a pretty decent chance there'll be some outdated stuff or that the methods used to teach some things aren't as good as more modern methods. The end result would probably be mostly fine though.

Normally duolingo gives you the basics of a language. Completing the course will normally get you to that stage where you can go as a tourist and not have to rely on your English as much.
But most people in this thread persue languages to a much higher degree. So we tend to saturate ourselves with grammar books and then media (novels, podcasts, videos) to build vocab.
A common issue with duolingo is that doesn't really teach grammar, it'll only lightly brush over some really difficult concepts (depending on the language) which may leave you more confused in the long run
Top fucking kek
Italian.

I do recall seeing some advice for learning Mandarin (traditional characters, as used in Taiwan) from a Korean guy who allegedly had succeeded, and his primary ressources were two books from the early 20th century, which he complemented with some more modern stuff for the actual phonology and listening practice.

Give the /sino/ thread a look, they might be more helpful.
Also pastebin.com/MV1TvANL

What worked for me was trying to do it in phases instead of studying a ton and trying to apply it all at once.
I usually talked to myself/ out loud as a way of practicing. Started by making Simple phrases like " je suis en train de déjeuner " " je regarde la télé " and kept increasing the usage little by little while trying my best to keep everything I thought in French. Eventually I had enough vocabulary to spend hours "thinking " in French. I did the very same thing when I was learning English too

Assimil.

>What language will you learn in 2018?
Ancient Greek and German.

Will look into it, thanks!

Miserable son of the Great Mother Cybele

Why learn another language when everyone speaks english?

Is Duolingo a meme?

Language is a medium of communication and a directly critical component of culture. All organic languages tie into unique cultures and modes of thought.

You are not an organic element of whatever culture if you are not born into it. Learning another language then seems like an act of futility.

german's heavy use of inflection and non-reliance on auxiliary verbs is fucking with my head
it doesn't help that english is german for retards, lacking half the grammatical features of it

it's good for listening practice and some vocab, garbage for grammar. If you really want to learn a language you're gonna have to go nuts deep in a good textbook

It's a great start, but don't expect anything expert level by the end of it. Nothing beats raw experience in first-hand watching the news in a foreign language

>non-reliance on auxiliary verbs is fucking with my head

I'm not really sure what you mean by non-reliance. It's true that we don't use auxiliary verbs for negation and questions but we actually use them quite often. It's not uncommon to have infinitive cluster due to the use of several auxiliary verbs in succession.

It's a good beginner's resource. It great to get your feet wet built a small base of vocabulary and then go on from there. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can still tap into that culture and thought, though it takes more work to do it than if you learned it as a little child.

I guess what I mean is, where German uses inflection, English uses auxiliary verbs to reach the same meaning because English lost almost all of its own inflection.
It's just confusing to me, having to think about all these things you just don't notice or know exist in English

It might be helpful to establish a kind of routine. Like a few stock phrases that help you in the beginning of a conversation that mostly cover your own introduction, where you can talk about yourself and ask questions about your partner.

It's easier to continue a conversation from this point. And the more conversations you have the more you can try to divert from your routine and become more creative.

Lies das OP

Some aussie added that part 1-2 threads ago. I don't like it because /lang/ was a pretty nice thread and everyone would give good advice and offer opinions.

No single resource will make you fluent

Esperanto

Easy and I'm sure that it will be the truly international language at some point.
>MFW speaking english in an international board.

I just startled a qt from New Brunswick who was shocked that I knew about it being the only officially bilingual province in Canada.

She thought I was one of her stalkers at first, kek.

I can't help myself from talking to Canadians since it's just so practical to get 2 languages in exchange for one as a learner of English/French.

>falling into the meme language trap
don’t do it user, you’re going to be so annoyed with it after a month. it’s disgusting. don’t do it user.

And latin it's also limited. Either way if you learn one of those you're gonna be half way to the other one.

>German taking advantage of Canadian qties for the sake of efficiency

Ihr Leute seid lustig

I downloaded Assimil New French withEase but I don't get how the passive phase works. Do I just listen to the 1 minute audio clip and read the translation? How does that help me learn the language?

Oni povas lerni Esperanton tre facile. Mi lernis (kaj lernas) Esperanton tra la du estintecoj monatoj.

I was at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago today looking at their exhibit of Christmas trees from around the world, and I saw that Belarus makes a pastry named Klocha and I was thinking while eating Kleicha, that Klocha and Kleicha sound similar, so I found that both terms are related to the Greek "Kolo", but also found that Kleicha also supposedly descends from Semitic "Kull". So what's the relationship between Greece and Semitic societies that could have caused this?

I know that the Hebrew and Greek alphabets share some traits (alpha, beta, gamma, delta and aleph, beit, gimel, dalet) but I don't know much more than that.

>Gf speaks italian and chinese
>Already annoyed

>Not knowing esperanto
>Being able to understand the most of that sentence.

Fuck it. I'll give it a try.

I use lernu.com.

lernu.net
oops

I am also interested in the Relationships between Sabah in Arabic and Seven in English.

>mfw I learn a new vocab word

Thanks user

I'm currently working on German and Esperanto. Grammar is pretty easy for the most part, but learning new vocabulary is fucking ridiculous.

It gets easier with time

Which language(s) should I learn? I know a lot of French (still working on vocab, syntax, and a bit of grammar), some Latin, and English of course. I'm learning Esperanto for fun and am thinking of taking up Spanish, German, or Italian.

Macedonian

Persian

holy motherfucking shit any dansk can tell me how to fucking pronounce the soft d? what the actual fuck
I'm do the "l" movement except I press my tongue against my lower teeth , is it like that?

hangul is easy but korean is uneasy

>mfw no motivation to keep studying

>>>>>Esp*ranto

Japanese is really fun and interesting. Why does everyone say it’s hard??

An unfamiliar grammar/syllabry/writing system, depending on where the learner comes from.

I really like the syllabary, basically always ending with a vowel or having consonant vowel nasal means it’s almost impossible to pronounce stuff wrong really. I think the hardest part about japanese is the unfamiliar vocab. sucks dick. Still loanwords like パーテイー are pretty funny to pronounce. Like a retarded stereotypical asian

For me I will listen to the dialogue and read along first, then I read through the whole dialogue at my own pace without the tape, looking at the English translation whenever I don't understand a word or phrase, and I'll also read the notes as they come up, then by the end of that I'll hopefully know more or less what it all means without checking the translation again, and then I read it through and listen to the tape one or two more times, then do the exercises.

Hey Sup Forums. I speak only English and would like to learn another language, but I can't choose between: French, German, Spanish or Dutch.
Any recommendations on which one I should learn?