/lang/ - Language Learning

where are my polyglots? edition

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W42gQbk0lPc
youtu.be/A6j7mUxGz20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I expected these threads to become undead after new years but they are more dead than before

I'm making my own language

t. autist

English pronouns are crap, so I have to use the Spanish ones when learning German.

Here's a pitiful bump for our humble thread. For a few more bumps:
>What language are you most looking forward to learn in 2018?
>Why?

German. I was torn between French and German and decided to learn German so I could finally understand all those Hitler meems. And also because Germany is doing quite well, so I might look for a job there if I ever get bored of my current one here in Spain. The main competitor of the company I'm working at right now is German.

Dutch

>Why?
So I can speak Dutch only for Nederlanders to respond to me solely in English because they all secretly hate their own language

What resources do you use for learning Farsi?

yes, it is a slow thread, but we mustn't let it die.
literally, what?
yes, spanish and german pronouns look alike, but i find easier to learn german from English than from spanish.
i was going for german desu, but my plans and circustances have changed so I decided to learn dutch
there are plenty in the paste bin, check it out. it is persian, isn't it?

easypersian.com

thinking of learning french or another widely used language, but i have idea on how and where the use the language often so i dont forget stuff, i guess i could shitpost here for the text, but what could i do for the spoken part? thinking of talking to myself or in the mirror just like travis.
if i where to become fluent in the language would it be acceptable to put into a job application/when applying for jobs or some other thing or would i need a qualification from a course?

Probably Java or Python

Italian
>Why?
I love the language, the history and its culture. My goal is to be able to follow more closely the upcoming elections and by the end of the year I would love to be able to watch movies without subtitles and comprehend more complex books

Bump

Wonder why lang has died? Last year during the new year the thread was hitting the post limit nearly every time.

I see a lot of people asking questions that should be in here by starting new threads that die off after 10 replies. This is linked to lack of easily recognizable OP for this general, which I already said has to be more regular (like DJT), but nobody listened. The OP pic should be roughly the same and more attractive than whatever gets used these days, and the info in OP needs to be a lot less busy and more regular than it has been.

bump

I'm intermediate in japanese but I want to study something else as well. Anyone /2languagesatatime/ here?

I want to learn icelandic

HALP

I never got the appeal of Icelandic tbqh

It's beautiful imho. I got into icelandic music a few months ago and I've been hooked ever since.

What's neat is how they preserve their language. They avoid as many loan words as possible, preferring instead to create an equivalent with roots from Icelandic.

>Icelandic music
Cool. I like how it sounds when spoken. Care to share some recs?

youtube.com/watch?v=W42gQbk0lPc
My favorite band currently. Look them up, not much of their stuff is on youtube though. Their live performances are great as well.

Hey lads I have to take a foreign language for my degree. Should I go Japanese or French? I took Japanese for a semester and it's fucking hard so I'm thinking of dropping it, and I know a little bit of French from HS. What say you?

Japanese I don't think I have the time commitment to really learn, and learning French was easier in my past experience but Japanese seems like it'd be more valuable in the job market

you CAN'T learn japanese

> Regular verbs
> German
It depends. Most verbs you use in normal conversation are irregular, as far as I know

youtu.be/A6j7mUxGz20

If Japanese is just for potential job opportunities go for French.

Japanese is a MASSIVE time sink if you want to know it enough to put on your CV. You'd seriously have to treat it like a part time job for years.

>Japanese I don't think I have the time commitment to really learn, and learning French was easier in my past experience but Japanese seems like it'd be more valuable in the job market

Why do you think like this? The times of French as the lingua franca are over but French is still very relevant. Right now you have 2x more French speakers in the world than Japanese speakers which is expected to grow to 700 million by 2050, spread out all over the world and not just a single country, among these several modern and developed economies(in Europe and North America) as well as emerging markets with a lot of potential. The number of Japanese speakers is even expected to shrink over the next decades.

getting sick of duolingo. And if I'm being honest with myself I often use it neglect other forms of study because "at least I did duolingo today."

I love this pic ... If French is a 2 and German is a 3...I can safely say I would never bother learning anything rated 4 or higher

>not learning russian

kys

Ithkuil
Simply the best language on this planet

Arabic.
It looks beautiful desu. Third attempt in life at learning it.

I also want to try Thai and Hindi, for what they're worth.

I dont see why anyone would subject themselves to learning Japanese besides the animu