What is the difference between south american spanish and spanish from spain ?

What is the difference between south american spanish and spanish from spain ?

what a thought provoking question

>latam

>s sounds like s
>z sounds like s

>cas
>s sounds like s
>z sounds like th

South American Spanish isn't really unified, but biggest difference is that in Latin America you pretty much always use "usted", instead of "tu" when talking to a person (equivalent of "you" in English). Its kind as if in French you would always "vouvoyer" someone instead of "tutoyer" him.

Some South American countries are more different from the Spaniard accent, like Argentina and Chile. For example the "y" or "ll" sound in Spanish would be pronounced as "tch" in Argentina. So "la silla", (la chaise in French) would be pronounced "la sitcha".

Standard Spanish: One main difference in pronunciation (s, z are pronounced differently in Castilian and equally in LatAm/Canary) and one main difference in grammar (2nd person plural is conjugated on a formal level as "ustedes" and on an informal level as "vosotros" in Castilian, LatAm/Canary Spanish uses "ustedes" regardless of context).
It's the same language, differences across dialects are differences in slang. Slang changes a lot depending on the region, including regions in the same country.

>sho me shamo

> always "usted"
I thought that only happened in Costa Rica and central Colombia.

PINCHES HAMBRIENTINOS NEGROS Y NARIZONES LES QUITARON LAS FALKLANDS POR NEGROS HAHAHAHAHHAH

Cuba, Chile, Argentina =equal shit tier unbearable language

Colombia, Mexico, Central America = real spanish

what said
also slang and obviously the accents
in argentina we don't use "tu" we say "vos" instead, and the conjugation for 2d person singular is different (quieres/querés, abres/abrís, etc.)

In 50 years we may have a war over cancun

Who will be the bad guys?

just across the Andes they have a different 2nd person singular by omitting the s instead of the i
querés/queréi, sos/soi, tenés/tenéi, etc.

i literally can't tell the difference between the argie, the spaniard and the cuban. i just can't
sooo white

That's mostly a Chile thing, and some northern provinces too

What do you think of the TV show "Narcos"? Is it a good depiction of 1990s Colombia?

i did say
>just across the Andes
didn't i?
so yeah south american spanish isn't a single one
(and to be honest spain's spanish isn't a single one either, hala majo)

Yeah it's pretty difficult for a language that is spoken in 20 countries and three continents to be uniform

It also happens across Andean Venezuela ( tachira and Merida states)
Basically this. Mexican and Colombian Spanish are the most relevant variants and the ones foreigners get more exposed to besides peninsular Spanish
More like 1980s

Fucking leaf, never say that again about cuban spanish.

Accent and somewords. Like pendejo, spaniards say gilipollas

The same as the differences between amercan and british english i presume

I think different versions of Spanish are closer to each other than different versions of English, except slang which varies a lot.

i don't think there's "different" versions of Spanish if you gonna exclude slang
syntactically they're all supposed to be the same, under the same ruling organization, buuut on street level there's quirks that go beyond mere accent and have to do with the different influences on each region
at least on my country people think in guarani while speaking spanish

None in particular, all grammar features of LatAm Spanish are present in Southern Spain/Canary islands.

Perhaps some slang used in Spain that a Latin American would never use.

Dont know about CR, but very few people use only "usted" here. Most people combine usted, tú, "su merced" and vos, depending on the region/context.

Su merced is only used by either old people or lower class Shirleys and Brayans when referring to old people though

Lol no, everyone uses it. It has an ironic undertone sometimes.

doesnt matter, chilean spanish is the only one worth learning

When you are not poor or a fucking campesino you don't use it
t. Knower

> Chilean
> Spanish
Choose one