I want to learn a language that will open an entirely new world to me...

I want to learn a language that will open an entirely new world to me, and one that will open up job opportunities as well. I already know French and English, so I want to learn a non-European language. I am thinking Arabic would be a good idea, but I am not sure. I am looking for suggestions.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y6SzAoPBCb8
youtu.be/9x4b8ANhKkc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

english or french are already spoken in most of the arab world.

Absolutely no one in the Arab world gives a shit about French beyond Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia

As a second language. OP learn arabic, it will allow you to speak with the entire middle east. You could also learn russian, russian is also pretty useful.

>implying

he said english OR french, dumb fag

What about all the dialects

Non meme answer:

Arabic isn't very useful if you don't live in MENA or a Muslim.
Chinese is far more relevant now, and will be even much more in the future.

We can all speak standard arabic along with our dialects. If you can speak standard arabic then you shouldn't have trouble communicating in the middle east.

There are a lot of chinese investing in the middle east, but yeah you're right.

learn Japanese

Isn't Arabic pretty useful for a westerner because it is a rare language to know? I am also sure teaching English in the Middle East is pretty lucrative

Chinese invest fucking everywhere. 20% of investment in Israeli hi-tech is Chinese. That's why importance of Mandarin is rising.

Which is the most sexy accent? The accent that as a Male learner would make the women interested...

also Lebanon (and Chad and Djibouti if you consider them Arabs)

>teaching English in the Middle East

You don't want this.

You defo would get a govt job. My friend in Seattle taught in Riyadh and he made $3500 a month tax free.

Egyptian Arabic is afaik the most widely understood colloquial dialect.

Why?

Lebanese. It's annoying to listen to because it sounds so slow, but the women absolutely love it. Egyptian arabic sounds like literal niggerspeak.

Probably because of the French influence. I like Lebanese pop music even though, I don't understand a word.

>I am looking for suggestions
Well that's a pretty general remark, so we can only give you only very general suggestions, but if you already know English and French, you want to learn a language that will give you better job prospects and better income, and you want to learn a non-European language, of course the best option for you would be Chinese

I agree with this poster, OP your best choices are either german, russia or chinese. It mostly depends on where you want to go, if you want to be in the middle east then learn arabic.

Learn the classical Arabic and if you want a dialect that's well known then it's either Egyptian Arabic or Levantine Arabic.

Also learning Arabic will gove you easy time learning other Semitic languages such as Hebrew, Aramaic, and Maltese.

>Why?

What are your expectations exactly?

Oh wait, you said non-european, sorry for being retarded. In that case, arabic, hindi or chinese.

Depends on what middle eastern country he will go to teach English. UAE has a lot of foreign teachers from the West because it gives them good paying job. If he is teaching English such as Iraq then yes it might be suicidal.

Meet people, experience new things, make money.

If I want to teach English/work with diplomacy, would I need to know a dialect? I want to learn Classical Arabic/Modern Standard Arabic first, but I am not sure which dialect to learn after that.

I am only interested in teaching in the safer countries, like the UAE.

>Meet people, experience new things, make money.

Then I suggest better going to Europe. Middle-East is culturally very different, and probably in a way you won't like.

You don't need to learn Arabic at all if you want to teach English unless you want to teach English to young kids. Dialect helps to communicate better with other Arabs.

Listen to what these two. They speak different dialect. Which is one feels good to your ears?
youtu.be/y6SzAoPBCb8

youtu.be/9x4b8ANhKkc

Knowing French and English already gives me access to the majority of Europe. Plus, I am pretty open to new things, even radically new things.

Thanks for the videos. How are people in the UAE towards Americans? If I want to get a job in the UAE, what are good things to look into? Lastly, should I work on learning Gulf Arabic?

I'm a Palestinian. I think you guys are treated pretty well since if you weren't, then a lot of you wouldn't come here in the UAE. If you are going to teach then you are going for American/British schools or Universities the UAE. The reason I choose Egyptian and Levantine Arabic because they are well known throughout the Arab world. Gulf Arabic isn't well known that much so you would have hard time communicating with other Arabs of you spoke Gulf dialect.
Which one did you like the most, Levantine or Egyptian?

OP excuse me but I think you don't have a clue what you want.

If you want to experince the MENA culture just plan a trip, visit historical places, taste local cuisine, ride a camel and enjoy the friendliness of people.

But I'm not sure you want to WORK there.

I honestly can't hear much of a difference, but I would probably rather live in Lebanon than in Egypt.

What exactly is the problem? Even conservative American like my teacher from Florida lives here with her husband.

>russian is also pretty useful

Not really.

I don't see why it's a bad idea. No one would bat an eye if I said I was learning Chinese for career purposes, but that would more likely than not entail living in CHINA, which, I might add, is literally China.

I really do not see what is that bad about living and/or working in the Middle East. It is not like I am going to live in the middle of a war zone or something.

What? There's like a gazillions expats from USA, Europe, India and SE Asia working in the Arab countries

we have tons of americans here and they get paid extremely well.

There is no problem, but things in US just work differently.
For example Americans are big on their personal space, a concept that doesn't pretty much exists in the Middle-East.
It's like changing your workplace and the same things work totally different in the new place - which pisses you off until you get used to it. It's the same except on the whole country level. This isn't for everyone, and considering 4channers usually are exactly known to be extrovests, I question whether he really wants all this.

What's wrong with wanting to live in china?

Nothing, really.

I guess maybe government restriction in China