Learning Russian Language

Hey guys, I'd like to start learning Russian. Does anyone have tips for a good book to begin with or any tips in general? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1500817260/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>call the local university
>ask which books you need for your course
>???
>PROFIT

I already checked, they aren't offering any courses this semester so there is no one on staff with information.

Why?
>inb4: Russian pussy
Don't.
Have a nice day.

duolingo y tatu

>tfw no tall fit gf

Doesn't have anything to do with that.

There was a big mega archive with materials. Maybe someone will give you the link

I hope so. I've been looking around online with very little success. Most sites are lame "pay for my bullshit learn Russian quick product".

Use Duolingo or Lingvist

What's the reason then, dummy?

Use muh dick hahahahaahaha

Just start with Duolingo and Anki cards. Make vk account try to read news or what ever you find interesting. It's better than nothing

I'll keep it in mind. I'm really looking for something more extensive though, my intent was to begin with grammar and build from there. Would you say that building proficiency in the oral language would assist with my intended approach?

Never start with grammar. It's better to know at least 150 words with which you can work before starting to learn grammar. I don't really know about oral part. The language is extremely complex and without background knowledge you will make a lot of mistakes

Ok, well I guess I should probably start with something like Duolingo then. Thanks.

You can try this book. Looks like a good way to start grammar. amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1500817260/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

The New Penguin Russian Course is a good starter book. look it up. Duolingo is fine, but not as a primary resource

Duolingo+Memrise+Tinycards is how I'm doing it. Listen to their music and news in the background.

kek found this in the reviews for the book
Thanks everyone.

I'm starting soon myself.

Based user.

That's the archive I was talking about. And try clozemaster. It's fucking amazing

What's so great about it? How does it stack up with Memrise?

Are there more charts like these for other languages?

Memrise is pretty bad in my opinion. It gives you a lot of words but doesn't bother to let you remember them. Basically you just read them a few times and that's all. Clozemaster gives you a sentence (context) and you can grasp the words and how to use them much better

Interesting. I've been using Memrise for the last two years to learn French. The lack of context can be a problem sometimes, but it hasn't been too bad. I'll certainly give Clozemaster a shot when I start Russian. Thanks for the tip.

Russian for Dummies is very good to start. Duolingo is good too if you want to learn vocabulary

> learnign language with books?
no you need to communicate with russuains else youre not leanring shit

Don't waste your time

If you want to become a gopnik, don't bother, it's not as fun as it looks.

Хoхoл - nigger or faggot
Укpaинeц - nigger or faggot
Пидop - Ukrainian

I'm using this book:
Troika A Communicative Approach to Russian Language, Life, and Culture

It's been effective so far.
I'm doing this:
>learn cyrillic first
>learn words (spelling and pronunciation)
>read/write/watch russian stuff along with proper and long study of cases.

BTW, in the book it says this:
Eгo is pronounced
[yivo] Eё is ronounced
[yiyo] .

How is Eгo pronounced yivo? isn't it supposed to be yigo?

Also, never learn russian from videos especially youtube.. because cases.
Also, anyone have good material for proper learning of russian cases?

Comprehensive Russian Grammar is a fantastic reference book, been using it myself and whenever I encounter something like "why is this word used here" or "Why is it conjugated/declined this way" that book has the answer

г is normally like a G sound but oгo and I guess eгo are a special case where the г is instead pronounced like V/russian B, think it's an archaic vestige

send me your email and I will give you my Russian work book from Class

-гo is pronounced as -вo in most cases. This is very common because -гo is the masculine and neuter genitive adjective ending. It's also pronounced as -вo in words like ceгoдня but I'm not sure why. Likely, ceгoдня has some sort of etymology stemming from the genitive case, but I'm not Russian enough to know exactly. In other words like мнoгo, -гo is pronounced as you would expect.

>doesn't even learn grammar

sick language learning sklls you got there bro

[email protected]

Russians know even less about learning
cos we know it by heart without rules you should learn to speak properly...

Fuck you.
Here you go OP, proofs. Cost me 50 bucks but ill ship it too you for free because my uni won't buy it back. Some pages are missing but 96% of them are still there, especially the first few ones because the professor had to print them off (they didn't get them shipped in until like, 1 month into the semester).

Heres my throwaway email.
[email protected]

I'll also give you the free website you need to actually do the activities.

Just look up the syllabus for a beginning Russian course at a respectable university.

Sometimes that's not enough normally. They Jew them out with workbooks and textbooks which will probably not appear on Pirate Bay until winter semester starts.. probably.

They do provide good free websites but most of the time it's too assist resources given in class/at a bookstore and worthless by themselves.

If OP can find free university standalone resources, specifically audio ones that would be a goldmine.

came here to post this, i'm using the book rn and it explains everything really clearly, i like it

I think the rule is that you always pronounce -eгo as -eвo

Pretty much, but i think it applies to -oгo as well when it appears as a genitive adjective ending. Like in бoльшoгo.

Here you go OP
These where the recommended books from Pushkin institute in Athens .

Good thing I got Russian as a free skill, because holy shit is it counter-intuitive and weird sometimes.

Pic fell off.

plusyю

>co oni robią?
>stakan stoi a wilka leży

It's impossible. Sehr schwierig.

Were*

Think you are right thanks !

Why do Russians hate when people learn their language?

Most likely boils down to the fact that anglos struggle with slavic languages. You should already accept the fact that to the end of your life you're not going to speak like a native.
Slavic languages have a lot of weird nuances that a native doesn't think about, they just sound natural.

You could give a 2 hour long speech in perfect Russian but if at the end you slipped and used a wrong case people would chuckle.
It's very much the opposite of English where Anglos are used to entire planet butchering their language.
The ridiculousness is greatly amplified that unlike say German which is a very precise, almost technical language Russian/Slavic languages are not.
So in many cases there are no rules regarding certain concepts whatsoever. It's only "well that one sounds/looks better"

Stick to english, mutt.

So if Russian/Slavic languages are imprecise, what are their advantages? More ways to convey emotions or something?

I was referring to the gramatical structure of the language. Languages like German and English have strict word order. Slavic languages do not.
>More ways to convey emotions or something?
I don't think that's the case. More like "more ways to convey a thought using fewer words" due to abundance of flexiveness and declensions.

I see. I think if you lived in Russia working with them etc, you could sound like a native within 10 years at least.. definitely not a lifetime. Most people don't make that commitment, so you perceive it as Anglos can't learn slav languages

Just play csgo or dota you'll be fluent in rusan in a week xdddddd

rush b suka blat haha lol :DD

> learning rooskie
anyone have tips for ukranian?

Just play stalker.

cyka blyat gandon idi na hui pidorast ))))))))))))))))))

Eбaть ты!

pizda

mamku tvoyu yebal))))))))))))))

> pizda
Pisechka

mamu vashu radoval

Who told you that? I rather like it.