Want to learn a scandi language

>Want to learn a scandi language
>It sounds nice to me and seems pretty close to english in some ways.
>Can't because they switch to english as soon as they hear my amerimutt redneck accent.
I don't think this is gonna end well y'all

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCXCxNFxw6iq-Mh4uIjYvufg
web.archive.org/web/20050213062716/http://www.norden.org/norden_i_veckan/2005/uk/050117.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Want to learn a scandi language
Specifically what language?

Swedish.

You chose the worst out of the bunch.
Don't be a nigger, learn Icelandic, though that's a nordic and not a scandinavian language.

If you want a scandinavian one, go with Norwegian, it's the best bang for your buck.

In my experience you have to be fluent or close to fluent before people won't just switch to English with you.

learning icelandic is fucking stupid, also if you learn swedish you understand norwegian and danish

>you understand norwegian and danish

If you learn Norwegian you'll understand both much better than if you learnt Swedish, that's a linguistic fact.

And learning Icelandic is not stupid, if he ends up liking it. You brainlets have to stop considering things as ''stupid'' just because they aren't to your likings. Even learning Tagalog would bring you benefits.

>if you learn swedish you understand norwegian and danish
To how much extent?

only brainlets uses the word "brainlets"

>that's a linguistic fact
gonna need a source on that "much better" fact

HRGHLRBRLS

What's the benefit of learning a language around 300k people speak? Even if OP learns the language, an American wouldn't be accepted there anyways.

I don't understand spoken Danish that good. I do however understand some Norwegian dialects better than shit-tier "Swedish" dialects like skånska.

Wtf can i start learning Swedish

Bra val min vän. Men jag måste bara konstatera att jag är vitare än dig Jamal

dds 08a

Vafan säger du man1, ska du ha stryk?

huezilIANAREN mina damer och herrar hahahaha

>move to cozy Norwegian village
>everyone seems nice and friendly
>someone's knocking on the door
>"Never should have come here!"
>axed to death
>house set on fire
Wtf I hate Nords now.

>an American wouldn't be accepted there anyways

You European cretins always think people want to move to your countries. What if that guy genuinely has an interest in Icelandic history but not in living there permanently?

See this

youtube.com/channel/UCXCxNFxw6iq-Mh4uIjYvufg

Here you have an American who speaks (probably better than any native), Icelandic and Old Norse (in fact he has many books on the subject). He lives in the USA and teaches history and language at a University there - so you see, learning Icelandic wasn't ''stupid'' in his case - the only stupid thing here is your line of thought.

Jesus Christ you guys truly are dumb

>The mutual intelligibility between the Continental Scandinavian languages is asymmetrical. Various studies have shown Norwegian speakers to be the best in Scandinavia at understanding other languages within the language group.

Delsing, Lars-Olof and Katarina Lundin Åkesson (2005). Håller språket ihop Norden? En forskningsrapport om ungdomars förståelse av danska, svenska och norska. Available in pdf format. Numbers are from Figure 4:11. "Grannspråksförståelse bland infödda skandinaver fördelade på ort", p.65 and Figure 4:6. "Sammanlagt resultat på grannspråksundersökningen fördelat på område", p.58.

Maurud, O (1976). Nabospråksforståelse i Skandinavia. En undersokelse om gjensidig forståelse av tale- og skriftspråk i Danmark, Norge og Sverige. Nordisk utredningsserie 13. Nordiska rådet, Stockholm.

>According to a study undertaken during 2002–2005 and funded by the Nordic Cultural Fund, Swedish speakers in Stockholm and Danish speakers in Copenhagen have the greatest difficulty in understanding other Nordic languages

web.archive.org/web/20050213062716/http://www.norden.org/norden_i_veckan/2005/uk/050117.asp

mfw

:-D benis

>probably better than any native
lel

>pic
Norwegians are a bit better, not MUCH BETTER. And the the Faroese are better so by that logic you should learn Faroese.

Americans are so cringy. Holy fuck.

No

>Cringy?
I literally don't see how he is even remotely cringy? He seems like a nice normal guy who isn't a neckbeard and teaches nordic studies at a university.

He's far from the typical neckbeard viking rejects who worship pagans.

>lel
>didn't even watch any of his videos

The guy is a fucking Doctor who has helped rebuild some Icelandic works, what is YOUR expertise with Icelandic?

Jesus you truly are insufferable.

>can't attack the argument
>attack the character of the person instead

Oh would you look at that, if only there was a word to represent this, hm.....

I don't know what's with Europeans being so uppity even when someone is definitely better than them at something.

Yeah if a European came and was better than me at cattle rustling or singing country music he would be an idol.

Just because he's a linguist doesn't mean he's better than a native you retard. And you also ignored the pic and then complain about someone else ignoring arguments.

you think some mutt from the US speaks better icelandic than an actual icelandic person? fucking kek

Yeah, he actually does, but you yourself have no knowledge of Icelandic or Old norse for that matter to judge him, if you had, you would simply check his videos and understand what I'm saying.

You're not - you just think you're better because you were born there, as I said, absolute retardation.

I'm done talking to you, have fun living in your fairyland.

just listened to one of his videos, he speaks with an accent. you're a fucking moron.

>Is someone who specializes in speaking languages better than someone who speaks a language who might not even have an incentive to be good at it?

You can't possibly be this dumb.

>new world mutts think they speak better icelandic/norwegian/swedish/etc. than people born and raised here

(you)

do you have a spine?
just ask them to speak swedish and not english

>i am better than a native because i have a paper that says so

these mutts are out of their minds

>learning a snownigger language when everyone from that region speaks english
what a waste my dude

Visste du ikke at en amerikaner som aldri har vært her i norden men har et papir fra et irrelevant universitet snakker bedre svensk enn deg og norsk enn meg? Nå vet du det

I don't think you guys are getting it. This isn't some guy who studied a language from youtube or watched a show in a foreign language.

This was a guy who actually went to school to learn the language and the culture and has been doing it for years. Hence the linguists title. He ( or other linguists) might had been speaking Norwegian/other languages for 10-20 years+.

It's entirely possible, being born in a country doesn't automatically make you better at the language than someone else.

stop, you're embarrassing yourself

No, you should stop

At first i thought the br and the burger were trolling but then i saw your replies and they are right.

Having an accent has nothing to do with proeficient in a language

I don't think a monolingual mutt like you gets it. You can't get to a native level in any language unless you've been speaking it from a very young age. It's simply not possible. A non-native linguist, taught at a school, can't even begin to compare to someone who lives and breathes the language and has been doing so his entire life.

then dont learn it you obese quasi-negro

my stupid reply doesn't mean the new world mutts aren't retarded. this swede is correct.

Jag har också papper på att jag kan svenska
t. Gick ut gymnasiet

If you have an accent, you're not speaking the language properly. You could have all the verb tenses down, an extensive vocabulary, knowledge of etymology and idioms, etc. You'd still just be speaking a flawed imitation of the language.

>what are regional variantes
>what is spanish, german, english, etc

Dialect =/= accent

You’re coming off as a condescending retard, people can take lessons specifically to lose their accents in their second tongues. Indians working in call centers are trained specifically for it. I’ve seen it myself happen to a spanish speaker. If you are determined and spend years interacting completely in the language you most certainly can speak with a native accent.

Wrong, natives can always detect your accent, even if it's minimal

No.

>taught myself German
>have perfect pronunciation but still can't get my accent to sound anywhere near like a native
How do I fix this

You can't.

I know I won't sound like a native but I still want to improve it

he's being practical, even though Icelandic is fucktons cooler than Norwegian-Swedish-Danish.

>being born in a country doesn't automatically make you better at the language than someone else.
Actually it generally does.

>You can't get to a native level in any language unless you've been speaking it from a very young age. It's simply not possible.
It is possible, but you have to be extremely talented and spend insane amounts of time and effort on mastering it. Very few people are capable of that.

I used to have this problem with Spanish, then I just responded in absolute gibberish and broken English until they were forced to speak to me in Spanish