The 10 episode season format is the main culprit of shitty season wrappings in current television...

The 10 episode season format is the main culprit of shitty season wrappings in current television, it's too short to develop things properly. Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't

10 episodes is more than enough. Blame shitty writers

Even the best shows end up in unsatisfying ways and leave you howling at the moon, waiting for the following season in the following year. With Fargo it's worse because there's no continuity due to it being an anthology series.
Compare that with proper shows like Miami Vice which used to have like 25 episodes per season.

You're wrong

What happened was when we entered this new (((golden age))) of television, everyone just started writing 8, 10 or 13 hour stories instead of single, satisfying episodes.

Think about how Mad Men could progress the season arc invisibly whilst telling a single 50 minute story. Now most showrunners don't even bother to wrap up a season satisfyingly, because why the fuck would you when (a) you don't give a fuck about it episode to episode and (b) everyone will come back for more next season anyway

Well, binge watching enabled by Nextflix is to blame too. But with most modern shows I feel cheated most of the time.
The only satisfactory one seems to be Better Call Saul despite the cliffhangers.

youre wrong as shit, see seasons 1 and 2

season 1 would have benefited from being 1 or 2 episodes shorter desu

That's just because it's really well made, so it's still enjoyable to watch, but it's the same as Breaking Bad where sometimes nothing gets resolved after an entire hour, but it ends on a cliffhanger making you want to watch the next episode

It also makes rewatching shitty, because the cliffhangers don't work anymore, contrast with Mad Men and Sopranos which are infinitely rewatchable

Actually shit gets resolved and happens all the time despite what the brainlet memesters say.

Literally superior to Breaking Bad

Not in the course of a single episode, the season two tape cliffhanger in BCS isn't resolved until halfway through the next season, which is fine in and of itself, there's no "right" way to do a television show, however it's emblematic of the types of problems that OP is talking about, such as unsatisfying season endings.

Depends on the network, how long the episodes are, what kind of story we're watching, and who's writing it.

The trend towards shorter seasons is a huge improvement for television storytelling. Going back and watching dramas from when 22 episode seasons was the norm is unbearable, there was so much filler that absolutely killed any sense of pacing.

I'm OP lol. The tape was there but other stuff happened in the middle too. It was just something that ties everything together and serves as a turning point at the same time.

Maybe if you have ADHD. Backstory and character development isn't "filler", it often adds more depth to the drama.

Right, I watch and enjoy the show, but I found the last episodes of every season to be generally unsatisfying, even if I enjoyed the episodes before. Again, compare this with Mad Men and the Sopranos which always felt incredibly satisfying, both at the end of a season and each individual episode. Even Sopranos, which intentionally withheld and actively withheld from wrapping things up in a neat bow, feels more satisfying than BCS

Those shows are too procedural for my taste, I prefer serialized stuff.

>it's a Miami Vice patrician thread

They are serialised though, they've just hidden it really well, because while the episode to episode plots are distracting you, there's complex character stuff going on beneath, which usually informs the climax of the season

That's procedural with a background arc. Like House MD.

10 eps is more than enough to conclude a story properly

the problem is that writers of late in these serialized stuff suck at pacing themselves

but that still doesn't matter if a season is 10 episodes or 25, if the writer decides to end it on a lame note way like it did with Fargo s3

David Chase fucking hates procedurals, and The Sopranos and Mad Men are literally nothing like House or any other procedural ever made

Have you literally even watched more than one episode of either

"concluding a story properly" in 10 episodes means you have to rush it. Slow burn is the best.

Are you retarded?

These series are like 10-hour movies.

agreed

>10 episodes is enough
No, it isn't. Based Lynch knows this, hence the 18 episodes plus 10 hours of deleted scenes.

The only reason why movies don't feel as rushed is because the stories don't have nearly as much development.
Based

Sopranos and Mad Men do basically the inverse of your average procedural with a background. Each episode feels distinct and self-contained as a sort of short film (the way TV episodes are meant to be) while still pushing story and character forward across a multi-season arc. Procedurals isolate the serialized stuff from the case of the week, so the bulk of the episode is just formulaic filler and then they pause for character development on the fringes of that. It's a tired model, but at this point so is the pure serialization where the episodes just bleed into one another.

>2D_MEW.gif

Holy fuck I can see it

They probably used her as a model

no wonder I'm still hurting

Riley?

No, Jack

Jack who?

Jack [removed by genndy]

>I want 24 episodes and 15 seasons so absolutely every little detail can be explained, shown, flanderized, rewritten differently and generally completely ruin a show with zero direction or ideas for maximum profit.

That clue was enough for me, thanks. I didn't watch the show, that's why I didn't get the references.

don't watch it, it's not worth the pain.

People were saying season 3 sucked and now they're upset that Fargo is probably over forever. Now we don't have to debate about which of the dozen potential Fargo seasons and hundreds of Fargo spinoffs were the best and worst.

This is due to the writer's strike if 2007. Best thing to happen in the industry until Woody Allen kicks it. God, I hate that kike.

LOST wants to have a word with you.

Wasn't Fargo just a movie? Though

LOST doesn't really do backstory and character development though, it's mostly proper filler

Nah, I'm glad it's over. Hawley jumped the shark with S2, I thought he'd redeem himself and decided to watch S3 only to find him jumping the shark again. Maybe if it didn't have only 10 episodes he'd have done it better, but the S3 wrap up sucked so much balls I regret watching the whole season.

It is. And the writers can't be bothered writing a female character without adding romantic plot tumours. Kate is pure narrative cancer.

Rewatchig the series gave me some insight into why people dislike the series. You can see the plotholes gaping wide, and decisions that simply led nowhere.
>Oh, Danielle is finally reunited with her daughter, let's kill them both LMAO.

Mad Dogs was 4 episodes a season and it was great. Stop stretching out your shows to have more episodes, 10 is plenty enough.