Can we discuss pic:related

Can we discuss pic:related

Just finished watching this after seeing a thread about it here last week.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NUbt0sweIjI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Such a good series. Should be required watching for this board.

why is she so sexy bros?

It was pretty good. Acting was a little theatrical in parts.

Livia was a proper disney villain

Hated the guts of Sejanus and Caligula

Was claudius portrayed a bit too positively? IIRC he said he regretted playing fair and became more of a tyrant towards the end.

Messalina was hotter and kinkier

I've heard people talk about this series being good. I've been meaning to read the book, but maybe I'll just check this out. Is it streaming anywhere? Legally.

You can rent it on Prime

The point of being a villian was to try and restore the republic. He believed he had been too good an emperor. He may have succeeded if he hadn't been killed. Then again he could have had lead poisoning like the rest of his family.

But then the books of Claudius were never found.

So we have know way to know what he was thinking.

What Graves has written is considered fiction, because he has taken a lot of sources known for gossip.

So the truth may not be so black and white and it is very likely that Claudius was not the intelligent, benevolent guy in the series but actually an easily swayed unintelligent guy whose power got to his head after all.

its all on youtube

"Don't touch the figs."

>*Trumpet blast*

>BAA-BAA-BAA BAAAA-BAAAA BAAAAA-BAAAAA BAAAAAA-BAAAAAA

Livia's death episode was epic. More so than Augustus's.

i love this show. we watched it in my HS latin class with the nudity and everything.

it is a little "theatrical" like the other guy said but still great. rome is more realistic probably but this was filmed on a pretty small budget and they did a good job.

I've been looking forward to watching this.

Watch it and make a new thread, we'll discuss it again.

This show is worth keeping alive.

Same here, I've seen this series at least 3 times, I think. Rome is great for different reasons. The acting as a whole is better in I, Claudius. But I love Rome, I think I've seen that series at least twice in its entirety.

It's cool to watch them back to back since the events of Rome take place like 20-30 years before I, Claudius.

the fuck is a clavdiv?

I just started watching and, wow, is this really the apex of the BBC's so-called """high-brow""", """"high-class"""" and """""high-culture""""" entertainment?

Are you gonna pretend that it is not?

How else are you gonna learn about romans shitting?

I saw this first run on Masterpiece Theater and now have it on dvd. It also inspired me to read both of Graves' books this was based on I Claudius and Claudius the God. Good stuff. Also gotta love Patrick Stewart with HAIR!!

QUINCTILIVS VARVS

qui mortuus est, et tu in imperatorem?

>his best friend is a Jew
Now you know why modern Sup Forums won't watch it.

Herrods based as fuck though, everyone can see that.

I wish more of his scenes from the book appeared in the show like Tiberius' prison or him during/after Caligula's assassination.

>best friend is a jew
>gets stabbed in the back by jewish best friend

but the actor wasn't so good.

Claudius and Livia killed it. Augustus was decent too.

Stupid of him to fall for the god delusion. They didn't portray him as someone who'd do that.

He was often smirking and laughing at the absurdities of the claudians. Hard to imagine he got himself wrecked over a god prophecy.

>gets stabbed in the back by jewish best friend
All he wanted to do was liberate his people (in his capacity as messiah) out from under the brutal tyranny of Rome. What's wrong with that?

Why don't you think so? Not saying it isn't possible, but I actually really liked him as Herrod. The accent felt a bit put on looking back but I think he played young goofy and old serious Herrod well.

I could never really settle on if he fell for the god delusion, or if he was just using the prophecy to further himself, or what said about liberation.

Every line he delivered had a chuckle underneath it. Made his performance very monotonous for me.

Then there is the accent part you mentioned. He was barely wearing any aging make up too, compared to other actors.

May just be the character on the first part. Claudius yells at him once or twice for never taking anything seriously/always joking/something like that.
His last meeting with Claudius when he gets all somber and serious to give him advice I always thought mirrored Claudius losing his stammer etc when he talks to Livia about his father, Augustus and Posthumous.

Honestly I always felt like he and Claudius were supposed to be very similar in appearing non-threatening, stupid or aloof until the times right. Herrod in a less in-your-face way though, obviously. So maybe I've read too much into it over the years.

youtube.com/watch?v=NUbt0sweIjI

Holy shit. This somehow looks even more epic than the show we got.

Where'd you download it from?

Just started watching it for the first time, and finished Queen of Heaven.

Bretty gud, but Brain Blessed doesn't make a good Augustus desu

>Because it wasn't tyranny.

You have the most advanced civilization in the world make you a vassal state, share their tech, allow you to practice your religion, and all you have to do is pay taxes for infrastructure.

>but muh slavery, muh messiah, and muh egypt

It's a 10/10 series. Also I read the novels and I appreciated the script even more. In the books there's almost no dialogue and the dialogue in the series is great.

>high school literature class
>each student is assigned one book to write a report on for the semester
>each assignment is unique and will make up a significant portion of student's grade
>get assigned I, Claudius by Robert Graves
>drag my ass about reading it all semester
>down to the last two weeks when i find out there was PBS TV series about it
>rent it from local grocery store video section
>write report based on teleplay rather than read book
>get a B on report
>years later find out PBS production was based not on just Graves' first book but the sequel Claudius the God as well

my teacher HAD to have known, right?

They're usually considered one book so even if he noticed (I doubt it) he probably thought you were so invested in the book you read the other one two. They're pretty short, you lazy fuck.

I liked the actor who played augustus. Perfect two-face personality to match the kind of guy who lived to have his cake and eat it too.

I love the scenes where he'd transition from super nice to immediately pissed as soon as the person he was talking to left the room, and livia was perfect at playing on this.

Thats my favorite episode.

What a sendoff to that bitch

I just watched the first episode on Youtube. This might be the first suggestion I got from Sup Forums that's actually really good.

See you in 11 hours

>being allowed to watch this as a kid because it was "culture"