IS the VVitch actually good or is it just memed

bump

BUMPo

memes are always good.

It's a masterpiece.

Watch it.

Best horror movie in a very long time.

>masterpiece

Dunno about that. But it is good and you should watch it. It'll probably end up being better than 95% of anything you watch this year in any case.

very good

It's fantastic and a true "horror/terror" film, watch it or I'll fuck ur mum

it's not a meme and it is a good film.
Not just a good horror movie - a good film
you don't get grounded acting and naturalistic lighting like this in many films these days.
people behave like people. they have olden times attitudes that are believable.
the film creates dread and fear. not cheap shocks. And it's historically accurate with regards to the depiction of witchcraft, which was always "committed" by marginalised women who had nothing else to turn to.

100% meme, it's just fapbait.

It's good. I came multiple times over her ass.

it's a 9/10

It is memed deliciously and good.

>spoiling that black Philip is evil on a poster

It's good. I went into the theater expecting a more traditional horror movie and walked out not really liking it, but the more I thought about it later the more I liked it. The movie is essentially two hours spent inside the nightmare of a terrified 17th Puritan. IMO, it's one of the best period pieces I've ever seen.

My wife Anya was so cute in it!! The other two kids were also very impressive.

did nothing wrong

It's pretty good at capturing the oppressive atmosphere of the woods, it's also cool that the movie was shot in Ontario not too far from where I live.

it's a nice movie but it's not really all that scary, i'd call it "suspenceful"

it's very good

notice how I didn't say great

I said "very good"

Fantastic movie.

post ayylmaos

It's okay in a "this makes for an interesting paper" or something to mull over as an art piece.

As a piece of entertainment, it's not really something you watch to be brought to the edge of your seat or to elicit any kind of physical sensation.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is certainly well crafted, and deserves to be commended for that, but your enjoyment will depend largely on your ability to appreciate the craft over a more surface level, visceral entertainment.

yeah this is literally something someone who pays to see the newest capeshit romp would say

The desensitized will never live deliciously. Only consume what they have been conditioned with.

In real life a Puritan girl with undiagnosed schizophrenia went crazy and killed her family. When neighbors eventually stumbled by and discovered the grizzly scene and missing daughter that had no easy explanation. They created the story of a family of sinners getting their just due by a daughter that was seduced into witchcraft so the other townsfolk won't make the same mistakes. That story is this movie.

the little kids running around and rhyming about black phillip was pretty neat.

It got bad reviews by people too retarded to understand the language

i didn't give a shit about the christian or feminist commentary/deeper meaning or whatever.

I just watched it expecting a spoopy movie and goddamn it was scary

Its a good drama, it wasn't scary though

I liked when the hot witch kissed that boy. /ss/

>muh goat
>muh satan
>muh twins
>muh curse
>muh witch
>muh psychological horror aka nothing happens
>muh ye olde shakespear language

Best horror film in 20 years, though.

VVitch is well made, but lacks a compelling narrative with a "so-what" ending.

/Thread

I really think this interpretation misses the point. The movie is a vision of a setting where demons and witchcraft were not just the fringe illusions of the mentally ill and uneducated, or even just creepy ideas that are distant from daily life. These were central elements in the worldview of perfectly sane people across classes. Approaching the story from a modern standpoint where it's the default presupposition that these things aren't real is, in fact, a complete 180 of the reality that the characters themselves occupy.

Supernatural forces are the not a post-hoc mythologizing of tragic events for deeply religious Puritans in the 1600s, they are the bedrock on which anything whatsoever occurs to begin with. And this isn't something born out of freakish pathology, it's an extension of the popular sentiment. The events of the movie are intended to immerse you in this fact, not encourage you to interpret them with any sort of cynical detachment.

The fact that the movie doesn't opt for the latter approach is part of what makes it stand out. Otherwise, it's just retreading ground already beaten to death by the likes of The Crucible.

Yep.

>not getting that evil takes many forms

You are right, but that doesn't make the movie any more interesting.
Also the ending sucked, whether it was real or a hallucination it was unsatisfying and detracted from the movie.

I just don't understand why the demonic rape scene with Tomasin was so long and graphic. It would have been just as scary without showing so much.

> the ending sucked
For you. Elevate yourself above pleb status.

forgetting the based brother that wants to smash his sister

>the amount of butthurt this movie spawned in the theaters
I'm seeing a similar to response to It Comes at Night. Is it any good?

It did suck, though. I mean come on, even if the out of focus naked vvitches gave you a bit of fap fuel, it undermined the whole point of the movie by suggesting actual supernatural happenings.

VVatch it

I never identified with a character in a movie more than in that moment.

>t undermined the whole point of the movie by suggesting actual supernatural happenings.
Not at all. You're letting your pleb preconceptions cloud your judgment.

If you were a Roman your name would be Maximus Plebius

vvanker

some "it was all in her head" psychological bullshit would have been a far worse ending.

Why don't you take a break from saying pleb over and over and explain what you mean?

How does actual supernatural horror undermine supernatural horror? Fucking idiot

see

Yeah, but that is in fact the implication of the ending. She passed out in the shed after eating. She didn't actually wake up. She didn't actually go to the woods. Shee didn't naked vvitch. It was in her head. That was the ending... And it sucked.

one of the classics

>Dost thou want to live deliciously? Dost thou want to get gangfucked by a pack of niggers?
Jesus christ, I was not expecting this from a horror movie

>It was in her head. That was the ending...
No it wasn't, you fucking retard

>reddit tier
>lists some actual good horror movies

Are you retarded? Sup Forums can't even make an efficient horror list, and you're putting good movies in the leddit category?

Throughout the movie nothing supernatural was happening. It was the puritanical assignment of demonic actions making all bad things happen. Fanaticism and madness we're at play, not possession.

if it has ever been discussed positively on reddit, it's bad and you're a faggot for liking it

>Oi I saws it on screen, so it muss've 'appened

...and you say I'm a pleb. Fuck you, kid.

Yep, nothing supernatural about witches stealing and murdering babies and little boys coughing up apples. The movie was too much for your 102 IQ, stick to jumpscares

watch if you want to live.......... deliciously.....

Make me a good horror movie list

it's a b8 image dummy

Some of those movies are shit though. Not all of them could possibly be b8

the baby literally vanishing in front of her eyes in less than a second counts as supernatural if you ask me

unless you're going to try to go full unreliable narrator and literally nothing that was on screen actually happened. In which case go fuck yourself.

There is literally no evidence whatsoever to support your incorrect interpretation

You misunderstood the movie entirely. It was simply taking witch lore of that period and treating it as true. There was never meant to be a question of whether anything was "really happening", which is why you find out the witch is real within the first 10 minutes or so.

Do you want to live deliciously?

the point is to include anything you could possibly like so you respond

I love that you keep proving my point. Throughout, the movie's character's are misinterpreting what's happening. There is no vvitch, or witch for that matter. The goat isn't a demon. Nobody is possessed. This is just how people explained bad shit happening back then. The belief they are cursed drives the parents mad, causes the family to turn against each other, and destroys all of them. That is the point of the movie. You're inability to interpret what is happening is fucking astounding.

>this pleb still at it

What do the Vs stand for? Why are they Vee Vee itchs?

And the way she was just laying there... leaking afterward. hng

>good
>horror movie

pick one.

Hes actually using the term "reddit" in it's correct context. Nothing overly offensive occurs, nothing that'll actually stay with people for more than a few minutes/hours, no depictions of anything that's too far away from the tiny box of social acceptability. They're all very safe, very by-committee movies that exist only to give teenagers a few safe thrills.

The baby scene makes no sense then, as the ostensible explanation given is that it was taken away by an animal. The family doesn't now anything about a witch until later in the movie, but we see the operations of the witch from the beginning.

So how do you explain the witch literally appearing in the first like ten minutes of the movie? How do you account for the boy seeing her at her shack in the woods? How do you account for him throwing up a fucking apple? Is every single character in the movie hallucinating?

Early Americans were retards and didn't know how to write the letter W so they combined to V's.

No, Vee-Vitch.

Do you unironically watch capeshit?

Actually like the letter is pronounced, W is a "double u" or UU. In the past U and V were the same letter. So UU is VV which is W.

The witch we see is their explanation for what happened.
Oh, the lying ass little boy that lied about his sister being possessed? Yeah, that was made up. Ffs. Pick another board to shit up, summer fag.

I remember reading something about how it was cheaper to simply leave the user to combine two V's on a printing press than for the press-maker to produce a whole separate tablet for W, but I don't really know the accuracy of that info.

Caleb's death scene was the best acted part of the movie.

"How wholly delectable thou art!"

But also, did the people who were championing this as a feminist masterpiece miss the part where the devil manipulated Thomasin into situations that ended with her signing over her soul to a male? From the beginning, the witches put Thomasin in situations where she'd look guilty.

The witch literally shows up and eats their farm animals and destroys their shed later. And again, they didn't know anything about a witch at the beginning; they thought the baby was killed by an animal.

No, but I do have fun getting Sup Forumsirgins to argue with me about nonsense I don't actually believe. Later, senpai.

go outside holy fuck.

>The witch we see is their explanation for what happened.
So we see an explanation for what happened before they ever need an explanation for anything? And the boy lied about vomiting an apple in front of everyone? Poor little pleb, cucked by logic again.

The feminist interpretation makes no sense. She's freed from the "patriarchy" and in return gets to burn in hell for eternity since she literally sold her soul to Satan. That's very liberating, I guess.

I'm done, you missed , didn't you. I'm bored now.

>getting so btfo you include a sign-off at the end of your post

Got them (You)s, didn't it, son?

So done that you're committed to sticking around

>pleb cucked by logic again
Go back to your Transformers faggot, and get your shinebox whiel you're at it.

it's literally an allegory for fetal alcohol syndrome, not even joking. make of that what you will

made me kek

It actually scared me desu

Old timey occult shit always freaks me out as people did practice all that shit in the past