What was the reaction to this scene when it aired?

What was the reaction to this scene when it aired?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=76X4k4A4Me8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck me, I've never seen that episode, but knowing it comes from a show like TNG, my jimmies are rustled.

Damn.

I never watched Star Trek because I thought it was all about space politics and metaphors for racism

They ran out of ideas for those during the first show.

Jesus Christ! Why don't I remember this?

i saw that on first airing, and t.b.h. i didn't take too much notice of it. it was out of place in Star Trek but pretty much the whole episode was out of place for star trek. The predictable elements of the plot also annoyed me some

I guess I always got that impression that Star Trek was shitty space politics because every single time I flipped to Star Trek, it was a bunch faggots sitting around a table talking about meeting an Ambassador.

The entire episode gave me nightmares as a kid.
Made me afraid to go to sleep with my mouth open.

>never watched Star Trek much growing up
>decide to binge watch the entire series
>watch the original series, fall in love with it
>start watching TNG
>it's pretty good
>get to this episode
>melting that dudes face off and exploding his entire upper torso
>vaporizing that slug thing
>no one ever talks about it ever again

Shit was fucking weird. And they never discuss it or do anything like it ever again. Comes completely out of left field to have so much gore randomly pop up for no damn reason. I think the only other time I watched an episode of TNG and thought they went a little weirdly too far was that time Riker kept stunning that terrorist chick trying to assassinate some some leader. He'd hit her with a stun and she'd just get up and keep trying to kill the dude so he vaporizes her. Felt really weird

No, the space politics was aight. Just sounds like you don't like space politics. Maybe Fast n' Furious is more your speed.

it surprised the fuck out of me
some of the early disintegrations were brutal, like you can see their skelles and shit. Made it look like a shitty way to die as opposed to the near painless ones you see today.

Right? Seems like there was another way out of that situation.
And OP's reference was even weirder. It's just so violent and wrapped up as quickly as possible. Like I mean god damn. Seems like they really wanted to brush that one under the rug

That was back when they had no idea what to do with the show yet. First two seasons vary a lot in quality from one episode to another because of this. Remember the ooga booga planet?

i absolutely loved this scene

Post vid

What the fuck, I didn't know Star Trek was this violent and gory?

"All sentient lifeforms have as much right to exist as we do" - Picard

"Except when they're parasites who hide in the bodies of my superiors in Starfleet, fuck that noise" - also Picard, apparently

Some body horror type shit right there.

It was a one time thing.

its not
this is the most gory thing in star trek nothing else even comes near to this

Yeah, good movies have lots of space politics, like the phantom menace.

youtube.com/watch?v=76X4k4A4Me8

Taken out of context this is fucking hilarious

>my jimmies are rustled.

those bugs were the original vision for what eventually became the borg

too lazy to link a source

To be fair, the King of the Parasites just told Picard that they had no intention of coexisting peacefully with anything they could just drive as meatsack cars. I'd have shot that nigger too.

Night Terrors was kinda close to this but was psychologically horrifying

I think the most fucked up part is how Picard and Riker have like no emotion going on. Riker is just staring straight ahead as he blows a mans skull up, and the most emotion on Picard's face is something like "eww gross"

Ooga planet was the funniest episode.