Commando-Bennett

I'm rewatching Commando again and wondering if Sup Forums has any info on a long-held but entirely unconfirmed theory of mine. When they were casting for Bennett did they originally want Jesse Ventura, but then couldn't get him? It's always seemed to me that the guy they picked just doesn't seem at all a match for Arnie. The only thing he's got going for him is his moustache, like they said "Can't get Ventura but this guy will do." I'm almost certainly reading way too much into this though.

>all that typing
let of some steam dude

Let off some steam Bennett

Ooh. Freddie Mercury's let himself go.

The finally fight is fucking ridiculous. They're supposed to be equals; Bennett is supposed to be a formidable villain. Instead we get prime Arnold fighting that fat fuck.

Exactly user. I've always thought they wanted Jesse Ventura. Recreate some of that magic from The Running Man.

Have you seen US special forces guys? They are fat as fuck. They don't fight one on one like this movie pretends they do so afar with air strikes they designate. If this movie was more accurate Arnold would have lased the entire south american complex and got his daughter killed and got a medal and left the military to work at wallmart the rest of his life.

I think he is great. The faggish outfit helps a lot.

And you're not at all worried he looks like one of the Village People? It breaks my immersion a little.

I think in the 80's that flamboyant look was normal.

>it's just too cute

its funny that its not even chainmail, just wool

Jesse Ventura had done no acting at that point. He was fine for bit parts like Predator and Running Man, but he couldn't pull off a prominent role.

Arnold didn't get a physical equal for Commando, he needed someone who was conniving and slimy and just plain evil. I mean, it was kind of dumb that Bennett kind of held his own for a bit in the final fight, but the rest of the movie wasn't about a big hulking villain using his strength to advance his motives.

There's a difference between fatstrong and just fat.

U know Bennet a real life alcoholic

No Ventura didn't get into acting until a few years later. Wells got the job because the original actor got sacked on the first day of filming, Mad Max 2 was doing well in VHS rentals and Wells had gotten a cameo in Weird Science doing basically a rip off of his role from MM2. Joel Silver who was producing WS was also producing Commando cast him as Bennett on short notice. This is why he looks fat, the wardrobe was originally for somebody else and too small for him. Don't know the name of the original actor but it's the guy on the left of the pic.

The movie takes place in the predator universe right?

But but he was feeling good he told john he was feeling

I'm not gonna shoot you between the eyes user I'm gonna shoot you between the balls

Come on bennet let's party

Ah thanks a lot user that's just what I wanted (OP here).
It always seemed to me the guy in the role didn't quite fit. I took a guess at Ventura but what you've said makes sense. Appreciate it.

No, thats Predator.

It wasn't supposed to be chainmail. Bennett is wearing a M58 Net Shirt, which the Norwegian army uses as a mid layer to promote airflow in colder weather and keep upper layers of clothes from getting wet from sweat in colder weather. It was probably just chosen for looks, but it could have been a touch about Bennett picking up things from armies he's worked with.

And Wells is a great villain for the movie. Commando is basically all about Arnie's masculinity; Bennett being fat and probably gay is a perfect counterpoint to that. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but I remember jealousy as being his main motivation. That works when the character isn't a match for Arnie and is obsessed with him.

Fuck off. Vernon Wells is great in this.

Does US Special Forces allow Australian and Austrian nationals to join?

>implying bennet needs the girl
>implying bennet needs the gun

Indeed, he plays it for camp and helps to make Commando a classic film if only a 2nd tier Arnie flick. Still love it though!!!FACT!!!

Commando is a highest tier Arnold kino you uncultured swine

Commando is absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

And yet, somehow, everything is played so straight that it makes the retarded crap work.

>Commando is absolutely ridiculous and stupid.
>And yet, somehow, everything is played so straight that it makes the retarded crap work.

I'll see you & raise user.