Why bother cursing a guy so that if he escapes his tomb he'd be an unstoppable god...

Why bother cursing a guy so that if he escapes his tomb he'd be an unstoppable god? why not just bury him like a normal person? why make him stronger?

Because they wanted him to have immortality. Buried alive forever is a pretty bad way to go

And that means they had to give him superpowers? Why not just make it so he's just immortal and can't regenerate himself from those guys who stole his jars? That way even if he is resurrected he's practically harmless.

It was probanly the only way to do it

but he was catatonic, he wasnt 'alive' or aware he was just buried, so why not bury him like a normal person?

It was magic bro, there was no reason for it to be "the only way to do it".

Tell me about your extensive knowledge of Egyptian magic user

Prolly cause he couldn't go to the afterlife, since he wasn't really dead, nor alive, so he'd just be bound to eternal nothingness

Imhotep was just an alright dude that got cursed to be undead with all those powers, so that if he came back, he'd be a rotting zombie forever. His backstory is that his waifu killed herself, and used necromancy to try to revive her. Necromancy is a big nono in Ancient Egypt. It was an ironic punishment. The plagues were there, so that if he came back, the plagues would kill anyone that got near him. The idea is that he'd be alone, forever.

I kek'd

So that when white people dig him up they suffer the consequences of cultural appropriation

>we hate this guy so much that we will enforce a curse that would unleash a plague that would kill millions just so he would be alone

That's how much of a taboo necromancy was

>this guy used necromancy, lets curse him so that once he wakes up he has god like powers and nothing can stop him from using necromancy again!

>Imhotep was just an alright dude
*murders pharaoh*

Also the priests that buried him or whatever didn't plan ahead 4000 years if someone should read the specific phrase to release him

Why they even used Canopy Jars if he was buried alive?

Like, Canopy Jars are supposed to keep internal organs such as lungs, liver intersines and so on.

Long time haven't seen this movie, so forgot what function Canopy Jars had in it. Did they even explain it?

egyptians were fucking pricks

Wait. Was he conscious locked inside his tomb? I thought he was reanimated when they lifted the "curse"?

Same tought. In new movie Ahmanet is alive all time since closing lid to getting it out of mercury pool, but in 1999 one they literally trned him back to live by Eve reading some book spells.

Is the new one worth watching? I've been sick for the past couple of weeks, and haven't been able to go to the movies. I want to go and see it on the big screen, like I did with the '99 movie. It's fitting, to go full circle.

you raise an excellent point

He's a bald guy

Why did he become a woman in the future?

for egyptians being alive was a punishment

If you know how the Egyptian afterlife works he probably wouldn't have had a very good time there either. It's apparently where other religions got their whole "judgement upon death" thing from.

Can't say it is great or flawless, but pretty close to original 1932 in terms of story, with slightly diffrent take. Definetly not as cheesy as 1999 adventure-comedy one but still worth checking.
It is let down by bit chaotic screenplay, but makes up with old-school beautiful sets, effects and stunts. You don't see these so often in greenscreen era CGI fest.

I rate new one among top5 best mummy movies, along with 1932 original, 1940 Mummy Hand, 1959 Hammer remake and 1999 one. Definetly better than dozen other mummy movies.

Cool. Okay, I'll go in with different expectations. Alright. I'll catch a matinee tomorrow.

Imohtep was already a sorcerer, the curse just magnified his powers, the majai were supposed to stop his awakening/discovery so he would never rise

Gave the first two a rewatch and the second one had some confusing stuff:

Why was there a cult worshiping Imhotep, how did it get so big, and how the fuck did they know about him?
How was his girlfriend both reincarnated and in the underworld at the same time?
Why the fuck was he in a cocoon when he just sunk in a pool that was crushed/buried by the collapsing ruins?

Still a fun as fuck sequel though.

Sequel is full of nonsense, even more than 1st one, not worth analysing it. To start with, Alex is incorrectly aged within it's timeline, lol. When rating already pretty full of holes 1st one lets say like 7/10, sequel gets maybe 4/10. Still not as bad as Tomb of Dragon Emperor. That one was awfull.

Enoyed 1999 one, but sequels and spinoffs were just blaaah.

Imhotep is one of the great men of all time, didn't like his depiction in this overrated meme movie.

Finally someone who knows this shit.
Hated how they used 'Imhotep' name in all mummy movies (1932, 1999). Due to some cheesy horror adventures, 90% ppl know him as fictional badass instead one of 1st great men in human history. Architect, doctor and visionary man. DaVinci of ancient Egypt.

>Why was there a cult worshiping Imhotep, how did it get so big, and how the fuck did they know about him?
wasn't the guy the director of the museum?
>How was his girlfriend both reincarnated and in the underworld at the same time?
bad writing
>Why the fuck was he in a cocoon when he just sunk in a pool that was crushed/buried by the collapsing ruins?
the pool dried around him and made the cocoon