What made this show so good,Sup Forums?

What made this show so good,Sup Forums?
Why were the movie and sequel show shit?

I can't help you if you think that Legend of Korra was shit. We could've had a great discussion about both series' themes, plots, aesthetic appeals and characterization, but if you don't recognize that both are good in different ways, then it just can't happen.

kidkino

>It's Iroh tells a comfy a story episode

LoK just didn't appeal to me as much as the original show,user.

The finale was perfect

I always thought it was how hard they worked to make the characters act like normal people, only as much story directing their actions as was necessary, like a tabletop game almost
They would just say shit sometimes even though it wasn't "funny" or noble or even really relevant because it was just part of a conversation about something that actually was important, like actual interactions, complete opposite of most cartoonshit and animu
that's my thought

>Season 1 villain is a totalitarian
>Season 2 villain is a fanatic
>Season 3 villain is an anarchist/communist
>Season 4 villain is a nationalist
What did they mean by this?

LOK wasn't shit, Korra my waifu

t. girl

Korra was complete and utter shit, this isn't up for debate.

Naruto > Avatar
Prove me wrong

Just a bit off. S1 was communist, S2 was fanatic, S3 was anarchist, and S4 was nationalist.
>What did they mean by this?
That extremes in any direction are generally bad.

Then why are there still 3 threads a day on Sup Forums debating it?

>it's an Iroh tells a decidedly not comfy story and brings unexpected feels to a children's cartoon episode

daily reminder that kuvira did literally nothing wrong

Most of the posts in those threads are just people bitching about the show, but I agree a lot of Sup Forums posters have shit taste and will defend this trainwreck of a show.

>that both are good in different ways
well desu that's the main problem
they're thematically inconsistent, not just different but actually opposed.

Now I'll be honest I only watched like half of the first season on Korra, but really that's enough.

I understand not wanting the show to be a rehash of the original show, so having her learn the four elements like Aang wasn't what they wanted, but having little babby Korra throwing fireballs around was obnoxious and insulting.

Instead of having to earn and struggle for achievement Korra just gets to shortcut it all.

This also meant that the only conflict in the show was highschool drama soap opera bullshit.

I have heard that the show improves a lot, so maybe these first few episodes are a bad representative of the show as a whole, but honestly I can't bring myself to sit through it.

Having any strong political convictions makes you an evil dictator asshole and you should vote hillary.

She just wanted to make the Earth Kingdom great again, enforce their immigration laws and retake land that was stolen from them by the ((United Republic)). What was so wrong with that?

The third season is the best, but the second season is so unbelievably godawful that you probably dodged a bullet. All four seasons start with an interesting premise and then squander it horribly.

>I have heard that the show improves a lot
Not really, Korra is still jobbing throughout the show and her friends continue to get random buffs, the only improvement was they dropped the romantic subplot between Korra and her gary sue boyfriend.

>t girl
Now we're talking. Post feminine penis.

I admit the conflict between benders and normal people they were setting up seemed interesting, if they could have done it well.
No idea if they go anywhere with that or it gets dropped obviously, but it was interesting

>they drop captain borings love plot
That doesn't help that much but it's something.

Did they get rid of that shit bending game they play?

the shit with Zaheer and "enter the void" was fucking epic.

pro bending is completely gone by the end of the first season

I don't agree. It reminded me of xmen 3 where they take people's powers away and make everyone boring.

This. Zaheer was one hell of a villain. It was very easy to empathize with him.

Every season of the show has a different arc. There's always a new villain. You cant skip seasons though because there are important overarching elements. I believe the general consensus is 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 with 4 and 1 switching places occasionally.
The show is worth revisiting imo.

yeah this is an accurate statement.

Season 1 is the second best Lok season there is? If that was almost their A game, the show was still born.

>Instead of having to earn and struggle for achievement Korra just gets to shortcut it all.

You mean Aang having trouble earth bending for 1 episode and then he's a master?

He repeatedly mentions "training with Toph and Katara everyday",that one episode was just getting him started

What the fuck was her problem?

She doesn't really shortcut it, they just skip over it. It's implied that she's spent like a decade mastering fire, water, and earth bending, and then a large part first season is the difficulty she has airbending and mastering the spiritual aspects of being the avatar.

Based Filoni had nothing to do with Korra.

I maintain that watching Azula in Avatar as a young pubescent boy was singlehandedly responsible for my femdom fetish as an adult. All I want is to be her slave

Filoni was a director on ATLA who had no input on story or writing. The name you're looking for is Aaron Ehasz, Mike & Bryan's head writer on ATLA and the only person who did not return for Korra.

>Sup Forums finally likes LoK

It's about time you autistic cucks.

The lesbian twist was still bullshit fanservice for tumblr

That off screen training was apparently enough to make him a master the next time he uses earth bending it seems.

>that one filler episode where Iroh is just being Iroh until he walks up a hill and grieves his lost son

Azula's problem is that her heels are not currently digging into my balls

I always found the concept of avatar to be retarded, what benefits were there from using all four elements? All both aang and kora constantly got their asses kicked by high level single element users.

Agreed but everything else was pure kino, especially the set pieces.

tla > lok simply because the seasons were longer and a lot more slower.

the issue with lok is that so much shit gets crammed into so few episodes that character development gets lost along the way. it gets a bit jarring when things change so quickly because they have to

in tla, it's a practically a whole season to travel to ba sing se and the remainder of the season is spent exploring the city. in lok, they hop between so many locations so frequently that you never really feel immersed. i found that lok season 1 was my favorite purely because it was spent in republic city and that aspect of the show was nurtured.

my biggest gripe with lok is korra and the shitty highschool relationships. korra never seems to learn a single thing and starts out as a headstrong retard, goes through some phase of self doubt/feeling sorry for herself and then grows into more of a headstrong retard. contrast that with aang who frequently battles with self doubt and fears yet he comes out on top in the end. it's really hard to enjoy a show when the protagonist keeps making the same mistakes

zaheer was by the far the best character of the show. i loved the scene when he leads korra to the spirit world. it's a shame that he unlocks the ability to fly but then no one seems to care

>little solder boy comes marching home

Not gonna lie I jacked it a couple of times to those cosplayers that dressed as Ty Lee and Azula. That one set where it almost became lesbian femdom.

I wish I still had it.

Fasn of the original love to shit on Korra. Personally I loved both in different ways but I think I prefer LoK due to the better villains and darker tone

durrr im the avatar so i think ur being evil so i'm gonna fite u now kuvira

no I don't like

>Tales of Ba Sing Se
>Filler

I demand you find it right fucking now

s-sorry user
i meant no disrespect

Aang's problem is that he's young and untrained. A level 1 avatar is going to have trouble with a level 12 fire bender. Korra's problem is that the writing sucked. It should've been about a powerful young adult avatar facing an increasingly complex world where she can't solve every problem by punching things.

I dunno about Korra because I didn't watch the whole series, but Aang was probably the most powerful bender in the world even without the Avatar state by the end of the show. He was at least keeping up with Ozai, either the first or the second strongest Firebender in the world, while his strength was greatly amplified by Sozin's Comet. Before that, I think only Azula managed to beat him fairly, and he scored a close victory over her when they fought on that huge drill.

Narratively it's filler, it just happens that all of the ATLA episodes are its filler episodes.

After a few minutes on google turned up nothing to my recollection, I did find this one. Which I admit is better (lewder).

>that time when they reveal iroh lost the heart to continue the ba sing se siege because his son died
>all the people who mock him for giving up and being lazy

Who did you like best,Sup Forums?
ty lee is cute

how the fuck did Mako turn two girls whom he had sex with into lesbians by the end?

>my biggest gripe with lok is korra and the shitty highschool relationships. korra never seems to learn a single thing and starts out as a headstrong retard, goes through some phase of self doubt/feeling sorry for herself and then grows into more of a headstrong retard. contrast that with aang who frequently battles with self doubt and fears yet he comes out on top in the end. it's really hard to enjoy a show when the protagonist keeps making the same mistakes

I never got this criticism. Throughout LOK Korra becomes much more level headed and calm while throughout TLA Aang keeps his childish happy go lucky attitude and never has to face the consequences of it because of convenient plot twists.

>what benefits were there from using all four elements?
well when they're in the Avatar state they can literally sink continents

Fuck

I need more

May is worst girl. Ty Lee and Asuka are equally best girl.

>a powerful young adult avatar facing an increasingly complex world where she can't solve every problem by punching things.
>tfw we will never get an Avatar Wan sequel

this is true they are all filler. But through this filler it becomes comfy because we're exploring the world in new places and new characters. every filler episode characters and audience is learning something. like the fire bending school/the cave thing/kyoshi

Ty Lee is cute, Mai is boring

Azula is a femdom goddess

Zuzu didn't give her enough attention and by attention i mean dickings

>that all of the *BEST ATLA episodes are its filler episodes
sorry I fucked up

LEAFS FROM THE VINE

Anime style with an actual animation budget rather than having 1 minute scenes with three frames + mouth movements

Kind of like when you compare the animation quality of the Pokémon films with the TV Show

Aaron Ehasz

Extremes are bad, that's it. Each villain are extremes of an aspect of the Avatar.
The Avatar is supposed to be the champion of everyone, benders and non-benders alike, equally. Yet the S1 villain goes overboard with the "equality" part and wants to wipe out benders.
The Avatar is supposed to be the mediator between the material world and the spirit realm, the bridge between them. The S2 villain wanted to wipe out the material realm and replace it with the spirit realm.
The Avatar is supposed the be the hero of freedom, fighting oppression and upholding liberty. The S3 villain wanted to destroy any authority figure and plunge the world in a maelstrom of chaos and anarchy.
The Avatar is also supposed to uphold order and balance in the world. The S4 villain wanted to rule the world in an iron fist.
All of this to show that the Avatar is the one who must uphold BALANCE. It is easy for mortals to fall into extremes since they lack the wisdom that an Avatar has.

Also, S1 villain is a spiritual hating communist, relying on science and reason over spirituality. S2 villain is the exact opposite where he's a religious fanatic who detests scientific advancement.

S3 villain is an anarchic freedom fighter who toppled the world order. S4 was the exact opposite who would squash any freedom in order to uphold order in a chaotic world.

All of this were told with the First Avatar episodes, where he tried (and failed) to uphold balance between his ideals.

test

My absolute niggas.

every season had some rendition of korra getting pissed at someone she cares about and then regretting it later because she was too dumb to realise they are acting in her best interest, and getting used/manipulated by the bad guy because she is too dumb to think rationally about something

fool me once etc

girls pls

Season 2 and the conclusion to the final Season was poor, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of LoK

I felt like they were heading in the direction of making an actual point regarding the shortcomings of monarchist rule and the arbitrary geopolitical separation of people belonging to the same ethnic/cultural and thus portraying Kuvira as ruthless yet well meaning character. But then they threw it out of the window by just making her into a literal Hitler destructive maniac over the course of 2 episodes in order to give the writers a simple good vs evil conclusion

>femdom
Low test confirmed.

It was the opposite for me
I think I watched TLA once or twice as a kid and it was boring
About a year ago I started watching LoK for some reason and really enjoyed it

is just ironic that LoK being the more mature for audience have the most immature cast

Korra was pure shit and that dyke shit at the end killed it forever. I don't let my kids watch anything Avatar anymore.

aww kuvira, you just wanted a friend? I can be your friend even if I'm the avatar
the end

maybe the theme that went over your head is how easy it is to shift from well-meaning nationalist into a destructive maniac. Also that its easy for destructive maniacs to use nationalism as a means to be said destructive maniac, or that most nationalists in history have merely used that as a means for conquest by uniting a group of people by giving them a common enemy.

not to mention the Beginnings episodes destroyed everything that they taught you about the avatar

sexualbender
just kidding, they forced these two girls who had not a lot of interaction to fall in love with each other, for a faggot like me, is insulting how they suddenly changed a character's sexuality this way

>s1
>mako ur just the best
>pls i love u so much
>pls pls mako pls pls pls
>s2
>FUCK YOU MAKO

surprisingly good representation of women in relationships

But remember that time Korra sent Asami a letter and they rode in a car together and then made jokes about Mako? True love

the most logical option was to divide the natios of non benders to benders and benders would have their own nations based on element while the non benders either live in a communist era or divide themselves based on other motives

>excusing lazy writing with "nazis gonna nazi lmao"

Really made me open my borders, of course the liberal writers couldn't be bothered coming up with a more compelling conclusion. Being a tyrant isn't limited to nationalist ideologies but rather just a product of absolute power. If neither Kuvira nor the useless shit king ended up in power then that would've been fine too

Sequels were shit because they took all the shallow aspects of the original, like the slapstick, romance and wackiness, and amplified them, while downplaying the good parts, such as the character development, martial arts, spirituality and meaningful conflict.
Basically, Tumblr ruined it.

That's not to say the shallow parts were bad in the original, but they were done with restraint

Children of benders aren't automatically benders.

best friends forever i believe that, but not to the point of wanting to fuck each other. There should've been more development if that was their intention unless it was thrown at the last minute for tumblr pandering
well then, give them the option to live where they feel like and once they become adults they can choose to live with the benders or not

Was he the Jar Jar of LOK?

>see all the korra and asumi art before watching the show
>assume Asumi is going to be a hard line, uncompromising woman that has somewhat of a rival situation with Korra, and that she's going to be a teasing lipstick lesbian or something
>season 1 is just them craving not-sausake's dick and Asumi is about as plain and boring a character as you can get, almost as bad as what the writers do with Bolin
>season 2 seems like the same deal so far

Is there even a point in going on past 2? Asumi seems like such a boring character still, compared to what I thought I was getting into

>tfw we will never get an Avatar Wan sequel
thank fucking god

although he was a Zutara and had many other ideas in how to end it which would ruin the entire series, at least he knew how to make the characters likeable

That was the point though, every avatar was different and aang really had to read up to learn everything because he lacked natural talent in a lot of things. Korra was naturally talented but the show makes no gripes about how vapid she was.

Aang had an immensly powerful avatar state and could wield all elements at once, korra just saw an increase in her power.

You see it all the time in real life, I know most of us don't dwell there but you have people who are naturally talented and just coast, and ultimately end up weaker than the people who work harder.