Horror General - /hor/

John Carpenter's The Thing turned 35 today. Wish it a happy birthday, Sup Forums.

So is it safe to say this man is the most influential horror director of the last 40 years?

>Halloween
>The Thing
>They Live
>In the Mouth of Madness
The man is a goddamn Kinographer.

Any good recs for Found Footage movies?

Rec
Trollhunter
Devil's Pass

what's /hor/ opinion on this? Was it good, bad, mediocre?

Don't forget:
>The Fog
>Christine
>Prince of Darkness
And for non-horror he has:
>Escape from New York
>Assault on Precinct 13
>Big Trouble in Little China
>Starman
>Dark Star
>Elvis
He's a pure genius.

The Blair Witch Project
Creep (2014)

Other horror news:

>despite the underwhelming box office Ridley Scott claims an Alien: Covenant sequel is being written right now and he'll begin shooting it next year

>Saw 8 is called Jigsaw

>The Mummy is a flop that will probably end up grossing less than $400 million so the Dark Universe is in serious trouble

>normies killed the hype surrounding It Comes at Night but it has already made over $13 million so the backlash doesn't really matter

>some fag is trying to cash in on The Babadook LGBT memes with a Babadook dildo indiegogo

I think that's it.

i enjoyed it, could see the ending coming a mile away, great acting as usual by Tom Hardy.

>make a movie where the mystery is which character is secretly an ayylmao
>call it John Carpenter's The Thing

spoiled/10

Jed approves of this thread.

One of my all time favourites by one of my all time favourite directors.

Happy birthday

Thing night! Anyone streamin'?

>Tom Hardy

>Devil's Pass
Just saw it, 8/10 if you ignore the godawful cgi

What do you think it feels like when you're being assimilated by the Thing?

The Thing is actually hard terror, but happy anniversary.

Was the thing from "the thing" the closest depiction of a Shoggoth we've ever seen in movies?

It's just like rape but worse

Had nothing to do with that and it's F U C K I N G C R I N G E that you're trying to associate it with that

I wish to point out that the 20-year anniversary of Charles Hallahan's death is also coming up (November, close to Thanksgiving).

Charles Hallahan the actor himself literally died of a dramatic heart attack while he was engaged in other activity (driving a car). I'm going to make a thread on the day, but I'll start seeding Sup Forums's zeitgeist memory about this.

One wonders whether any of the personnel who treated Hallahan in the course of his dying were aware of his greatest role, and perhaps showed the slighest hesitation.... One also naturally wonders whether defibrillation was actually administered at any point.

Mmmmm....

Why?
Unknown entity in Antarctica with the ability to change it's form at will, assuming whatever shape it feels convenient for it's purpose, whether it's to serve as a slave to an old race of star-headed creatures or to murder everyone it encounters. Why the hell not?

DO. NOT. TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

Watched this two nights ago after seeing a few threads about it. Was excellent and I'm not sure how I had missed it all these years.

So kieth David was a Thing at the end right?

God, I'm such a sucker for found footage, but I'm super bad with being immersed enough to be scared. Any recs for good immersion?

Here's why "The Void" sucks shit with a straw:
>INSPIRED BY JC'S "THE THING" (It's actually a Prince of Darkness rip off)
>Muh mysterious junkies who are there for NO REASON
>Body horror is shit, and you can't even see it cause flickering lights fucking everywhere
>Who was phone level plot twists
>"I've studied ways to become immortal for years, and now I know that all I have to do is to fucking die"
>So much unexplained """"lovecraftian"""" reddit-kino
>Worst characters survive
I give them a solid 3/10 just for trying.

Welcome to the argument that we will continue for the rest of our lives.

You haven't described a Shoggoth, idiot.

He had a % of wolf blood, that's why it stared silent like that. creepy as hell compared with most dog performances.

>They are "protoplasmic", lacking any default body shape and instead being able to form limbs and organs at will. Being amorphous, shoggoths can take on any shape needed
Other than that I said "closest depiction" to it, not exactly "it" you autistic faggot

The THING test!

1. Why wasn't MacReady assimilated when investigating the crater considering Palmer and Norris had already been assimilated?

2. Is it real or fake Blair that goes about destroying the comm systems?

3. Who is still a thing at the end of the movie?

4. How did Blair find the time to create a giant spaceship underneath the cabin?

5. Why is the dog in the final thing within the generator if the dogs all got crisped by Childs?

6. Why does Blair tell MacReady to watch Clark closely?

7. Who dies first after the Norwegians?

The Borderlands
One of the most effective found footage films ever in my opinion.

Yeah it's not perfect, but nothing else has come as close to The Thing's desolate atmosphere as this. Wholeheartedly recommend it, ideally without spoiling yourself in any way prior.

Stephen King adaptations are usually shit, but I love The Night Flier. Miguel Ferrer saved it. It's not a good film, but I enjoy it. Anybody else seen it?

A shaggoth? Why? Because it's in Antarctica?

>muh lovecraft, everything is lovecraft, put 'lovecraftian' on the box and i'll buy fifty copies

How do you like your son, I mean daughter, Thing?

The movie was obviously inspired by "At the Mountains of Madness" faggot.
Go read the description of a shaggoth.

1) Because it was Palmer who was assimilated first, not Norris (the silhouette of the first victim used a random crew member instead of Palmer or Norris in order to keep it ambigous). So thats why Mac wasn't assimilated when alone with Norris.

2)Real Blair. BlairThing would have wanted to get out if Antarctica as soon as possible. Real Blair smashed equipment to trap the Thing there.

3) Unclear. Maybe Childes. Definitely not MavReady though.

4) The Thing is smart enough to make a space ship in about a day or so, I guess.

5) I don't know what you're talking about.

6) Clarke was alone with the dog for a long tine and could have been assimilated.

7) Palmer

>muh lovecraft
You know you're a cancer on these threads right?

Yeah, I don't need to look up a description because I remember the book. The Thing is nothing like a shaggoth and you're a huge faggot

You know you are just a retard right?

Clearly never read the book.
see

>Lovecraft fag is militant about muh Lovecraft
What an embarrassment.

1. Only Norris was assimiliated at this point, and under the supervision of the two bodies with pilot-knowledge. Norris-thing simply decided not to gamble at this point. Had both Norris and say, Palmer been assimiliated at this point, they would have tried for Mac, but it didn't work out that way. Also Norris-thing likely knew that the saucer was inoperable (see prequel if you accept it as canon).

2. At the time when he wrecks up the place, Blair is human. Blair is assimilated by the mass of thing-stuff left unchecked and buried (which revives) while he is alone out in the shack.

3. Mystery. I sentimentally incline toward the conclusion that they both remain human but the film most strongly suggests that Childs is a thing.

4. Blair was assisted by the mass of thing-tissue which had recently been buried and revived and thing'd him. This biomass did the tunnel and helped with parts of course. Two days is a very long time when nobody checks on you and you keep busy. You can get a lot done.

5. Because the mass of thing-shit that was variously burned and buried is exactly the same biomass which is just-warm enough to reconstitute and then get Blair while nobody is looking.

6. Because at this point in the film, Blair is still human and honestly directing the remaining team to the best of his ability. Blair's suspicion of Clark is completely reasonable and honest at this point,and not a subterfuge.

7. Either of Norris or Palmer, though I personally incline towards Norris for reasons given above.

da GOAT

Cannot watch it enough

Is he the goat main character in a horror movie ever?
Literally plays every move right, still gets screwed.

The first time I saw it just really blew me away.

>horror movie
>think that he's gonna be retarded like all other movies
>"holy shit the dog exploded"
>FLAMETHROWER

>Norris-thing simply decided not to gamble at this point.

This is a good point that I never thought about. If Norris had attacked Mac, then Palmer would have flown away.

Yes. This interpretation (my preference) is also one of the stronger points in favor of the idea that the dog got Norris first ,and then Palmer got got at some later point.

Isolating Blair was the main mistake. He should have tied him up and kept him drugged.

Worth remembering that Thing doesn't have telepathy in the film. Two individual things could be unaware of each other's existence.

You have committed the error of supposing that just because a feature isn't positively described in the film, that it must necessarily be absent from the film. This is a very hazardous gambit because of course Carpenter and his screenwriter were at pains to hew closely to the original source text, which was a large part of the point of the entire project.

You also get points for being aware of the original source text's telepathy, however.

Basically your second sentence here can make sense in the course of the movie but your first assertion is baseless, and rendered that much more suspect by the simple facts that the telepathy angle is mentioned conspicuously in the source text, and that the film's development took great care to closely (though not exactly) adapt same source text. Compare Lancaster with the original per the image.

tbqh this is the perfect horror movie, easily the best ever made

>no jumpscare memes
>horror comes from not knowing who to trust
>the thought of being assimilated is fucking terrifying
>the villain is legitimately smart
>god-tier effects
>no love interest subplot
>ambiguous ending

>still no good horror movie set in Chernobyl

Just finished The Conjuring. Just a damn well made ghost/exorcism movie. Great effects, good spooks, whole thing feels classic from top to bottom.

The sequel is pretty good too.

>normies killed the hype surrounding It Comes at Night

Woah, wait. I'm not up to date about this thing. Did something happen? I thought it was getting good reviews.

There's really only one jumps are, when someone walks by when the power is out and aloud noise plays.

I wouldn't count any of the other big surprises as jump scares as they have entire scenes revolving around them (Norris, blood test, etc)

There's nothing ambiguous about the ending, that's just fan wank bullshit.

>tfw they had a woman in the prequel and I immediately lost all interest

Everything became so predictable at that point. You knew there'd be a love interest, she'd be the smartest person ever and she would be under no real threat throughout the film.

>2

Nigga, he plays with the thing corpse with the end of his pencil then sticks it in his mouth. He got infected way early

Mediocre to bad

Yes, but he sure went to shit over the past 10 years or so. I just hope he can make one last 'good' movie before he dies.
He's already said he'd be interested in making Dead Space, which I think would be fucking amazing.
I know it'd just be The Thing in space, but hey, I can still dream.

It's because normies went in expecting a horror movie with a werewolf or something and didn't get that.

It's good. It's an hour and a half of pure tension.

Why the fuck did they release a winter isolation horror in the fucking June, that tends to be, you know... HOT AS FUCK?! Why not December or January of '83? I think it also played a role in poor box-office and reception.

It has gotten critical acclaim but normies HATE it because the marketing was misleading. The marketing made it look like a fast-paced zombie movie but it's really a slowburn film about paranoia. If you like slowburn horror like The Witch then go see it. It's a great film.

It's too bad Harbinger is a piece of crap.

Good movie if you lads need something to watch tonight.

It's sad, it had some genuine love and care put into it but it ended up being even worse than The Thing (2011).

Cannibal Holocaust

Advertising is against the rules.

bump

>LGBT profiteering
>I'm not going to proliferate the human race but you should cater to me!
one reason why i can't take that community seriously,

im so sad chernobyl diaries was shit

Stalker

not chernobyl. it is in the game. not in the movie, or the book.

What's the most disturbing hororr film? Something so disgusting and violent it'd make Charles Manson puke

So was assimilated then genius?

I don't think it's much of a holiday movie.

So, it's a summer movie then, gotcha.

Doesn't it kind of "eat" and then copy you? I don't think it feels like anything then.