The Spirits Within was a masterpiece

>The Spirits Within was a masterpiece
>It never got the recognition it deserved because autists were butthurt it wasn't based on FF7
Sad, it still holds up today as a fantastic film. James Woods kills it as Hein

If it weren't for James Woods the movie would have nothing going for it.

100% agreed. Plebs think it's a "sci-fi" flick, same with Shayamalan's Signs. Super underrated, great taste, OP.

Ok max caulfield.

it's bad just for destroying squaresoft and the series

You can blame FFX2 for that

i just thought the plot was stupid

saw it in the movie theater, have the bd but some massive blunders in storytelling justify how epic it bombed

another one for the "two nukes messed them up" folder

actually agree, i feel if you watch this as "the spirits within" and it's own movie (which it basically is as final fantasy brand was only attached for marketing purposes to justify the budget) then it's a cosy movie. watch it expecting a kino level 90's ff rpg and you'll be disappointed. but as a cgi sci fi pic it's cosy

I like it. It's moody and pretty creative. i only wish it was a bit longer or something

Went to see it with a friend, we were the only people in the theater. Remarkable movie in the sense that I remember absolutely nothing about it.

True. There's barely any story.

Squaresoft were a bunch of fucking retards before and after

will we ever get characters from it in ffbe

nah, squaresoft > squenix

From a scifi perspective, it was boring, it made little sense, it was horribly written, the plot was all over the place and Darth White Guy was the only good voice actor they could find, even if he did hold down the ham.

Seriously, the voice acting is an aspect this movie isn't mobbed enough for, but there are sooo many things wrong with the entire premise.

Nothing is explained properly. The plans of the heroes work way more on luck than they do on strategic brilliance, and the villain should have to be deaf and blind and dumb to get defeated by these people.

And this is just all criticism from someone who's never played the game. I can't imagine all the shit this movie fucks up from a game-perspective.

kek, came here to post this

It was only pretty ok, but didn't deserve anywhere as much flack as it got.

The movie had absolutely nothing to do with any of the games.

It wasn't made by Squaresoft retard.

Oh, so it just used the name to capitalize on the fans? That's probably the smartest economical thing they could have done with this garbage, honestly.

If this had just been called "Ghosts of Gaia" or some shit it would have had empty seats day one.

They weren't mad because it wasn't based on 7, they were mad because it had no relation to FF at all.

Not a bad movie, but there is literally no reason to call it Final Fantasy except to trick FF fans into watching it.

They certainly got worse after the merger, even bringing Enix down with them, but fuck if they weren't incompetent managerially prior to it, too
It's more noticeable afterwards because the actual creative and productive talent started leaving

>IT HAS NO CORRELATION TO FF GAMES
that's where you're wrong kiddo

>they were mad because it had no relation to FF at all.
Final Fantasy is only a name, a brand, not a universe or a world.
What RELATIONS to FF has FF15 for example?

It didnt have to be based on FF7 but it should have SOMETHING to do with Final Fantasy
There are tons of staples of the FF games across multiple games they could have used.

Where the chocobos, where the moogles, where the spells, where the Bahamut, where the summons, these are things people wanted out of a FF movie
I think it should have had more fantasy and less tech, or should have blended sci-fi / fantasy more effective like FF8 did

Its an ok movie
but its a dogshit Final Fantasy movie

This movie has plenty of problems but it shared lots of themes, names, ideas, etc etc with the games. The games also have nothing to do with one another (for the most part) aside from shared themes, names, ideas, etc etc

>Nothing is explained properly
Pay attention next time. Everything is explained adequately.

>Nothing is explained properly
Yes it was, you're only retarded

>Where the chocobos, where the moogles, where the spells, where the Bahamut, where the summons
Who gives a fuck. If you want any of that garbage in a feature film you're a fucking moron

I wish I could find pictures of it

This movie was the first time I ever noticed product placement in a movie because of how blatant and out of place it is

Pepsi shows up a lot in The Spirits Within, there is a huge billboard with the logo for it when they go to the city and a character drinks a can of it later

Its was just so surreal as a kid seeing Pepsi in a Final Fantasy world

of course this was the pre Top Ramen days

Those are the recurring elements of the Final Fantasy series and what defines it

If they didnt want to make a Final Fantasy movie, which they clearly didnt. They should not have called it Final Fantasy

I actually suspect someone just took an unrelated CGI movie and slapped the FF name on it at the last minute.

Fucking boring shit
no coherence
awfull animation
literally ass-tier shit for faggots

op is retarded

>he hasn't seen the coke ads for IX

Dissidia, part of a shared multiverse, crystals, summons, Bahamut

This.
I do love Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within but this is exactly my problem with The Spirits Within.

If it was never made, the Square Enix merger would've happened earlier and Final Fantasy XII would've turned out even better than it already was and we would also have had updated PS2 ports of Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX alongside their planned WonderSwan Color remakes of Final Fantasy I, II and III as well as the updated Game Boy Advance ports of Final Fantasy IV, V and VI.

We did get the WonderSwan Color remakes of Final Fantasy I and II, which was also ported on the PSOne, Game Boy Advance, PSP and iPhone, but III's remake was cancelled, though they did make another Final Fantasy III remake for the DS, which would eventually be ported to PSP, iPhone and PC.

The Game Boy Advance ports of Final Fantasy IV, V and VI were delayed for a long time but we did eventually get them.
And as for the Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX on PS2, they were cancelled.

No, they weren't going to complete remakes like what Square Enix is doing right now for Final Fantasy VII and what they did to III and IV but they were going to be updated ports which have re-rendered FMVs in 480p (kinda like the PC/iPhone version of Final Fantasy IX), slightly updated models (kinda like the PC/iPhone version of Final Fantasy IX), higher resolution backgrounds, and a higher resolution output than the PSOne version (probably 480i or 480p), a remixed soundtrack and bonus content (like the Game Boy Advance versions of Final Fantasy IV, V and VI).
I would've bought these if they came out since they were most likely going to be one-disc only unlike the multi-disc PSOne versions.
Seems more convenient.

This, Deschannel Famicom-senpai.

It was made by Squaresoft and it was released under Squaresoft in Japan, but the updated International version, the US version and the Europeam/Australian version were all under Square Enix.