The Mummy Foreign Market

Can someone explain to me in detail how a film like this can flop in the domestic market but be pretty successful in China?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fR3PeKPt9V8
youtube.com/watch?v=t5lSUIgeLng
youtube.com/watch?v=gguOffpsImU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tom Fuckin' Cruise pal and don't you forget it

Can't bruise

Because the Chinese version has chinese people in it and much like niggers they will see anything western as long as chinese people are in it

Burgers unironically don't go to Tom Cruise movies ever since he became a Scientology nut. Even mentioning him is taboo. If I bring up Cruise to my friends they get this nervous energy and want to change the subject.

can't refuse

daddy know how to resurrect dat mummy.

At this point, it's Risky not to do Business with TC.

>Tom "Three Front Teeth, Gunna Make You Queef" Cruise

Why are mummy threads always so comfy, even when people try to shitpost about how bad the move is.

If you sink enough money into a project, it will make it's money back eventually

>Titanic
>Avatar
Ask us how we know you're retarded.

I wanna drink her bath milk yeah I know that's Cleopatra, shut up

domestic market has always been overated
american domestic markey has destroyed countless of movies with retarded test screenings
finally the age of the domestic market is over

Can't bemuse

JC is that you?

worldfags can still be tricked by a famous actor to see shit. they're not patricians like burgerbuddies

I just saw it today, user. It was p. gud.

Fun fact: this is a bastardization of the actual history of Tiye, lesser wife of wife of Ramses III (and their son Pentaweret). Tiye murdered him and to put her own boy on the throne. She even prayed to Set first hoping he would help her. Their conspiracy failed and all involved were executed. Pentaweret was the only one mummified. Tiye and and the rest were cremated. Then their ashes were scattered to ensure they had no chance of an afterlife.

chinks are several decades behind us in cinematic development. they weren't even allowed to watch anything except communist propaganda videos until a few years ago. OF COURSE they eat this shit up! we did too until we got burned out and demanded the studios do better. but chinese are smart, they will probably figure it out a lot quicker than we did and then hollywood will have to actually start trying again.

RLM actually explained this pretty well.

It's a movie designed for people who don't speak english. It also has Tom Cruise in it, instead of an actor who's currently popular in the U.S. The chinese will recognize the name "Tom Cruise" before they recognize Chris Pratt or something. As far as they're concerned, Tom Cruise is "big american famous movie star".

>chinks pirating all our shit
>chinks never seen western movies until recently
Pick one retard

Because Tom Cruise is enjoyable, Sofia Boutella is adorable, and Mummy always is a guilty pleasure at best.

Why is she so cute bros

>RLM
reddit lives matter?

China has four times the population of America, everything is successful there

Power Rangers wasn't

Are your friends autistic?

I see 3 reasons:
1. Americans don't like Tom Cruise coz of scientology. Rest of world doesn't give a shit, and still remember his impossible missions or Top Gun nostalgia.

2. Americans love american-based comic heroes. Rest of world is BIT bored of them, so they welcome everything else too.

3. It is "Mummy" afterall. in nearly 100 years there were like 15 or so movies. This is (un)ironically one of least used theme among horrors or monsters.

These are actual facts why it goes well overseas.
To prove it, here are recent results from my country. WW opened with 64k viewers, Mummy with 73k. In 3 weeks WW gathered 215k, Mummy in 2 weeks 190k. Really, despite being railed by critics and unfavorable reviews, at this rate Mummy actually may overtake WW here soon.

Now my personal opinion. Although movie isn't great or flawless, still liked it a lot. Loved how they took original 1932 romance theme, but swapped and changed it a bit. Even that quote in begining is straight from Boris Karloff movie. These, combined with amazing setups, props, decorations and stunts, that stand out in greenscreen GCI fest you see nowdays totally makes up all the chaotic flaws movie suffers. Fair 7/10 overal. Top5 mummy movies, right next to 1932 original, 1940 Mummy Hand, 1959 Hammer Films one and adventure-comedy from 1999.

newfags

Because she's a beautiful person on the inside as well.

China loves shit flicks. They're making one now that stars Steven Seagal and Mike Tyson.

if it ain't broken....

That sounds like Sup Forums would watch it.
Seems like China has good taste.

money laundering.

I hear cinema chains in china inflate ticket profits for big films they think are gunna be big hits.

That's how they launder their dirty money. Bu they have been caught out because the mummy is a flop and thats why we see china make such "big box office". KEK

Brendan wouldn't know a broken marriage if his own wife complained of not having enough money to get her jungle fever fix.

I'm glad it did somewhat OK overseas because the world needs more Sofia Boutella. A lot more.

Anaksunamun was far hotter.

Nope.

not only, take a look. compared few countries where both movies had data available.

"Mummy" had better opening in 17 cases, WW only 10.
As expected, people were just more intrested in something else than capeshit. Later WW outruns it on longer run, coz of "long Legs" effect, which Mummy stand no chance, getting railed.

I didn't see it because the trailer was shit and Paint It Black was used horribly.

>dat HGH jaw
wtf

That sounds fucking great.

foreign markets love our old celebs. Tom cruise and Vin Diesal are huge over there. Every fucking vin diesal movie makes money overseas. Same with Tom. Hell fate of the furious kinda bombed in the USA but foreign gross pushed it over 1 billion

youtube.com/watch?v=fR3PeKPt9V8

why aren't you watching the most kino movie reviewer bros?

Why not both?

You know what? You're right. I love Sofia but Patricia Velasquez was very hot as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=t5lSUIgeLng

>they will see anything western as long as chinese people are in it
Wrong. China wants to see white faces. They're 'merica crazy in the special economic zones.

I lived in asia during the 90's and tom cruise would always come over to advertise the movie and make appearances and people would go apeshit trying to get in just to see him.

American here. I love tom cruise movies but I dont have a good 3 d movie theatre around me. I still plan on seeing it. Plus a lot of americans are trying to save money fir housing.

>well filled with mercury
>can see down into it

Maybe the Chinese watched this movie because everyone went to the theater to rage autistically.

giv mummy gf

3D is wasted here. Really, almost unnoticable. Shame coz it had huge potential. Not sure about IMAX 3D tho, but I guess it fails too.

In addition big part of movie takes place in very dark areas, 3D makes it even darker. Hard to see anything at all.

>They're 'merica crazy in the special economic zones.
Literally knockoff Japs.

giv givposter bf

It was specifically tailored to the foreign market. Every plot point is signposted so as to get round problems with comprehension, the cast is as diverse as possible, the lead is a world-famous actor to lend it weight, and it's a stupid flashy special effects driven flick that appeals to brainless teens in any language.

>How a film like this can flop in the domestic market but be pretty successful in China?

US population: 325 million

China population: 1.4 billion

25% of all US moviegoers are Latino, they are only 17% of the total population

19-39 year olds make up 45% of US moviegoers, they are 25% pf the population

225 million American's went to the movies at least once in 2016

30 million American's go to the movies at least once a month, this is the core group of moviegoers

Of that core group 65% are male

The US percentage of non-white moviegoers is rapidly increasing. In 2016 more non-whites attended movies than did whites. In this group adult Latinos and teen blacks make up the largest percentage

Most "Blockbuster" films in the US are viewed by more females than males, 60% female, 40% male

In 2016, 1.2 billion Chinese went to the movies at least once. 760 million attended a film at least once a month

In China the male, female moviegoer ratio is 50/50

So more than twice the population of the United States attends movies in China every month

That's why China matters

Add India to the mix and the US market is really a non-issue

India has a population of 1.4 billion and in 2016 movie theaters sold 6.5 billion tickets

In 2016 the US theaters sold 1 billion movie tickets

ok

Asians respect their elders. They're just indulging grandpa Tom's fantasy.

It is also has good earnings in Russia.

Mummy total - $13,739,897 (3rd after china and korea).
Wonder Woman - $6,620,423

Not everyone interested in capeshit as america.

She was indeed hotter.

But only by a small margin, and she's not an immortal mummy that wants to turn you into a god of life and death and to be your queen.

generic pretty girl like thousends. Sofia got something fascinating about her unique facial features... and oh God how she moves (0:38 !!!!)

youtube.com/watch?v=gguOffpsImU

Indians mostly watch their own movies, tho. Bollywood has been the biggest film industry in the world for some time now, if China makes a serious effort to build a movie industry of its own, the US will become as relevant as Slovakia.

I wish other women were as athletic and agile as her.

and still cute and femine enough, not bulky weightlifters

Anyone here listen to Hollywood Handbook? The most recent episode was absolutely savage toward the Dark Universe.

This. She's athletic but she's not too muscular, she can still pull off the innocent/cute/nice girl look. And she's genuinely a warm, kind person, which is rare and beautiful in itself.

It did ok based on Cruise's name alone because he's pretty well liked over there (probably 'cause he's a fellow manlet), but it mostly had a good opening and faded away. It didn't do nearly as well as movies that were actually saved by China. According to BOM, it made about the same as WW.

Stop bullying Slovakia senpai, SLM

Mummy is doing good in Russia because Brendan Fraser's Mummy were big there.

what a salty faggot

watched up until he showed the trailer and no he's a violent retard

The people are stupid, racist and stingy
Throw in a token chink who stacks some Ws and you'll make close to 1B

Berber women are superior

Woman. Singular. Sofia Boutella is superior.

You cracked the code
mummy......aliens

Ching-chong has nearly 4X the population of burgerland.

A so-so movie in ching-chong land means 4x the audience share that a so-so movie in burgerland at the worst... but many movies are now specifically tailored not to be "good" so much as to be appealing to the wider ching-chong demographic of short-attention span low-IQ peasant kids who will go see anything with a gimmick.

This desu famalamam

How long would any of us last against her in the ring?
I know pic is from a dance movie but still.

>to be appealing to the wider ching-chong demographic of short-attention span low-IQ peasant kids
Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to give those chink fuckers money?

They really need dumb movies to forget for 120 min that they live in a toxic country with the worst of capitalism and communism at the same time.

Cruise has given us many kinos, its ok if he makes shit movies every now and then.

in all sincerity, these.

>A so-so movie in ching-chong land means 4x the audience share
No, because a much smaller percentage of people in China go to the movies than in America. And an even smaller one goes to foreign movies.

Unlike WW, it hasn't been extended for another month though because it literally dropped 90%.

I'm curious too. What or who is RLM?

>Taking average Sup Forums men, not supersporty fit guys.
probably she would jump all around till we get exhausted... then finish us.

Would make for a fun youtube channel actually.

Red Letter Media.

I hope she wraps her thighs around me in a chock hold.

Star power. Chinese people care more about American celebrities then American movies.

She wouldn't let go until you'd stop struggling. Are you prepared for that?

>Implying anyone wouldn't

sure, prepared as never!

The Chinese market is filled with depressed and bitter Chinese people looking for escapism on a massive scale. They eat up EVERY single Hollywood blockbuster, because the Chinese film industry is even more stagnant than the American film industry, and offers no escapism either.

It's a well known fact that mainland Chinese people are horrible, so it stands to reason that they would like horrible movies.

For the Mummy:

insider here. AMA if you really want to.

In terms of takehome to the studio, its at 108millions total.

This is our factoring of marketing into the budget, then including how much of each ticket sale is our nut per region and per day/week since initial release date.

Its at 108 true dollars. It needs to bring in 17 million more at about 25% overseas take and 28-33% domestic take, between now and when the final theater DROPS it.

So looking at boxofficemojo now (which is actually fairy close to our internal numbers as of this morning) and knowing domestic is basically dried up (lucky to get 65 mill)

We need to see

Domestic: 65mill
Foreign: 278mill

It's going to be close, but any penny over above is true profit.

Tom Cruise movies do extremely well on VOD/REDBOX/STREAMING ETC, plus theirs already a deal in place with the airlines and many major hotel chains.

My expert opinion is itll hit its nut by the skin of its teeth, then cash in a nice amount in rentals etc - is it enough to continue the series? That's way about my pay grade.

t. consultant analyst (AMA if needed)

hmm... intrigued by this started research, but wiki says Tiye was wife of Amenothep III and they actually found her mummy.

hmm looking at boxofficemojo, says
Domestic: nearly 69 milion... I guess it got chance to hit 75 mil domestic?