JSA Storytime: Punisher 2099

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

This is 100% what SHIELD needs

That fucking face holy shit

I found the first couple issues of Punisher 2099 in a longbox at a LCS today. It was surreal.

so, best book today/best internet shitshow, go

Flintstones was great

Flintstones was extremely good. The only internet shitshow I really saw for comics was this cape books will die thing, which seemed fair enough.

Literally the only not-good DC book today was JL.

I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed Green Lanterns.

>Bendis going to be on GOTG after CW2
>except they're going to be on earth
>Bendis putting his daughter as Iron Man
>the whitest white man ever writing about a black teen girl
>it's not even Rhodey's niece

When will he stop selling?

Simon is truly best boy

isn't that just a surprise, how enjoyable that book is? I saw a LOT of pros impressed.

I saw the 100% husbando preview page

Honestly every DC book except for JL Rebirth was at least alright

GLs was particularly enjoyable and if there were less narration, I'd call the book good.

And Batman is starting to get good. Also Bruce is a weeb.

I wish more people were mad about Bendis still being the writer and stopped bitching about her being black and a girl.

I wasn't totally surprised I guess since Russell won me over with Prez, but I'm glad it was good

>SHIELD 2099

So, they're going to be, somehow, even worse than modern SHIELD, which has been illegally abducting mutants and failing to deal with Godzilla since the Seventies.

What is worse ?

Cosmic side of marvel or mutant side of marvel ?

We are talking about comics people no the movies.

>isn't that just a surprise, how enjoyable that book is?
I had decent expectations, but it was REALLY good. I think it showed a lot of skill in writing - the book is layered in a lot of ways, and it all works together.

>the whitest white man ever writing about a black teen girl
Even if Bendis is a hack, him being white does not mean he can't write a non-white, non-male character.

the diversity side of twitter is very annoyed at Bendis writing it since he's an old white guy and even though marvel's been doing all this diverse stuff, 75% of it has been written and/or drawn by white guys, especially the legacy characters

fuck yeah

People are becoming less and less tolerant of this kind of thing.

End of Batman made it #1. Lost my damn mind.

GL continues to be great and super fun

Green Arrow is solid great art.

Scarlet Witch went into continuity and brought up all her issues that no one has dealt with

Flintstones was as great as everyone hoped. and dark!!! which I loved

riri stuff is fun because Sup Forums is being racist/stupid/bendis hate about it and everyone else online is the other end of "another white dude writing about a black kid" i'm pro toys in the box and also wish marvel had more diverse creators

People, for once, didn't race-bait in the SamCap book. Despite it being about racial profiling. Personally I think it was a lot better than the last one.

Agreeing with the people who said Flintstones was DC's best book today. I read it here on Sup Forums after pulling my haul from the LCS and would've immediately gone back to get it if it weren't for the fact my LCS is an hour's drive away.

>That’s the emotional headlock I’ve placed Rose in. I see her as a deeply conflicted very young person on the cusp of adulthood who is still trying to figure herself out. She ends up following Batman around in issue #5 (and driving the Batmobile!) lost in a kind of awe at this iconic hero and father figure of her mentor, Nightwing.

>Comedic, over-the-top violence doesn’t crack me up at all. I think it’s terrible. Violence is awful. Killing is terrible and has real consequences. This book is about those consequences.

...I'm listening.

>End of Batman made it #1. Lost my damn mind.

That's totally Psycho Pirate isn't it. Based King.

Marvel's problem is that they don't want to give black creators anything other than black books in part because of this idiocy.

OH GOD HE'S SQUINTED SO HARD HIS EYES TURNED INTO A PERMANENT FACIAL CREASE!

yeah, twitter is mad. a tweet that honestly, isn't wrong:

twitter.com/SonofBaldwin/status/750744673812090881

I hope Spencer writes a decent USAgent

Punisher being the head of SHIELD is both awesome and terrifying.

this is the biggest, meanest Jake yet, isn't it

look at the pic on the tweet here This is an example where somebody who is black and has been a aprt of it SHOULD be writing it and they're experiences. Not some white dude who's only observed it.

He's like the size of a goddamn Space Marine.

Ideally you have enough minority characters and creators that there's a less awkward distribution (ie all kinds of creators doing all kinds of characters).

whoops meant

That's some rando with a pseudonym, Marvel wants experienced writers who can prove they can write a monthly.

So. That Bendis interview was pretty depressing. Oh yeah, Guardians on Earth. He wanted Angela back ASAP. Etc.

The other interesting discussion I saw today was:

twitter.com/Wheeler/status/750724899560427526

wherein the question of 'co-writing' is raised and many practicalities responded

And it was really clear that he thinks creating Jessica Jones and Miles means that he's one of the good ones and gets a free pass

I think improving talent scouting is the real answer.

Yeah I know, that'sone reason why people are annoyed. They'd rather give it to a person who is guaranteed to sell and has experience writing instead of bringing on another black writer who also wants to write but can't for whatever reason.
It's one of those "need experience to get a job, but can't get experience without having a job" kind of things they're also complaining about. Pretty valid imo

>We've seen this sort of mentorship in comics time and again. It's one of the clearest ways for writers to break in to Fortress Team Comics.
Just on this part Lieber mentioned today like 3/4th of the intern/mentorship applications he sees for comics people now are for women. Way, way up from his earlier days.

Is anyone guaranteed to sell anymore? If you stick with giving books to Bendis and Slott things will implode eventually.

and it's not like they haven't been poaching people who hadn't written comics before (correct me if I'm wrong) with Wendig and Cain and Coates

What I am also not down with, though, is the mockery of anyone who wants to read about Tony Stark and is a little worried about his status. People have the right to want to read about the characters they're attached to, and it's been a rough decade or so for Tony fans, many of whom are women.

Have any published black writers or screenwriters expressed interest in writing this particular comic? There's no barrier to entry in writing prose.

Yes?

Bendis, Hickman, Johns, now Snyder, etc.
DC is hoping to do the same thing with King.

>he's one of the good ones

Ha. There are no "good ones" in this escalating culture war bullshit.

look at that pimpcape

hint hint

twitter.com/sterlinggates/status/750846452381790209

or, I should say, he seems to think that just because he created Jessica Jones that there's nothing wrong with that really gross Hellcat discussion in Avengers Prime, or any number of other things

>tfw no multiverse teamup book

>twitter.com/Wheeler/status/750724899560427526

>If you're a comic writer, take on a minority to use as a shield against criticism based on your white maleness.

oh dear, some spoilers for my Doom 2099 readthrough. i'm not even mad, though, because President Doom just might be what this future needs.

If Wheeler didn't exist, he'd have to be invented.

>What I am also not down with, though, is the mockery of anyone who wants to read about Tony Stark and is a little worried about his status

Why would the people calling for ethnic cleansing all the white people out of comics start feeling bad with Tony Stark?

The thing that no one says but is also the case is that co-writing has to be a different animal than the collaboration of artist and writer. Two writers show up most commonly when it's a known writing team who works together a lot. Seeley alludes there to working with King being a lot of work, even though it brought both of them returns. Raise your hand if you hated mandatory group work.

yeah i don't think writing comics works that way. and anyway pretty sure that's an editor's job.

i'm having a lot of thoughts about this as like how this could be discouraging or something to new creators who are just cis white people but i have no idea how to make it not just sound like whiny garbage.

It's been a bad day for men named Tony.

The answer to that is just deal w/ it because it's been discouraging to a lot of other people already. But Wheeler is making it sound like a bit of a junior partner deal - the ask is to either give up ownership of your own project, or condescend to someone else to get their name on it. Tough ask.

>or, I should say, he seems to think that just because he created Jessica Jones that there's nothing wrong with that really gross Hellcat discussion in Avengers Prime, or any number of other things

Oh, yeah, no, I was just pointing out that even if he was genuinely careful and respectful in his writing, he'd still be The Enemy to some people.

Jessica Jones is a terrible 'feminist' post to stand on anyway, because just about nothing good happens to anyone in that book.

what else?

and the money thing on WFH is considerable. There are relatively few 'full-time' pros w/o other supportive day jobs (writers), and what Wheeler seems to miss is that if you co-write, you're giving up a portion of the income that lets you be a full-time pro.

I really dislike Bendis' writing and yet I wouldn't hold some of the things against him as sins that are being trotted out now

yeah. i think some people also make it seem very competitive when it's like, comics are super easy to make and get into, the barrier of entry is so low.

The terrible thing is Bendis finally is attacked over diversity issues and not the fact his books have been shit and lazy for so fucking long.

Flintstones was amazing

I hate how bitter I am about GLs

That's like a strong 'it depends' right? Anyone can make a comic, but writing for the Big Two like a lot of people want to is very competitive. And making a living off comics is hard.

Watching Bendis' and Marvel's latest move get absolutely fucking roasted by all the people with the right qualifications.

Standing out from the crowd, I didn't care for Flintstones. Don't get me wrong, it's well made, but... the choices it makes are just, nah. Nah.

Also that book, like the rest of the HB line, is fucking doomed and I don't know why DC thinks it isn't.

>Sit on the corners of desks drinking coffee and discussing grav-ball all day

So far from what we've seen in Punisher, this does seem to be like 99.99% of what the Public Eye does get payed to do.

>what else?
Chilcot.

I did see one person call his writing "literary sameface", which really is a good way to describe it.
Reuses plots a lot, can't do different character voices well, Bendispeak, etc

They're future mall cops with too many guns.

>What I am also not down with, though, is the mockery of anyone who wants to read about Tony Stark and is a little worried about his status. People have the right to want to read about the characters they're attached to, and it's been a rough decade or so for Tony fans, many of whom are women.
This is a valid concern

plus why on earth did they kill Rhodey if Riri is meant to replace Tony??? why didn't Thanos just kill Tony and somebody else could have gotten a case of the retards to fight with Carol

I really dig the forays into existential despair

also, the Ayn Rand joke on the cover

>the choices it makes are just, nah. Nah.
What didn't you like? Not trying to fight about it, just curious.

The split dollars comment stuck out to me in that chain. IIRC Grayson was an accident too, like they put two writers on the book without realizing it. Kind of shitty to think you'll get paid one thing and then have to adjust.

Doom, you are bad at secret identities. Not everyone is RICHARDS!

>what else?

Tony Blair got to take ALL the credit for Britain in Iraq.

>best internet shitshow
It's more of a Sup Forums thing, but the whole CS: GO lotto shit is really interesting and really scummy

I genuinely think you could unravel that Flintstones issue for hours. I feel like a crazy person for saying it, but.

yeah, i guess i feel like it's hard to argue the moral position when the goal is to sell out to Big 2.

and the argument about big 2 capes dominating the industry is a separate one which I think you could take a stance of bendis helping cause of his creator owned (even tho it's still just crime comics)

He probably killed Rhodey because he thought he was gonna die in the Civil War movie.

>Jessica Jones is a terrible 'feminist' post to stand on anyway, because just about nothing good happens to anyone in that book.

>book about a Jewish detective girl kvetching with her girlfriends
>being a horrible detective
>she has a rape backstory
>she hooks up with a black guy
>there is an entire page of her getting buttfucked

Alias is really overrated and dumb in a lot of ways.

at this point it's "enemy of my enemy" territory, and maybe even some people will actually read it because of the black girl and then criticize him for putting out shit

Top be entirely fair, how many of the people bitching him out are MCU recruits who weren't around when he first started ruining the Marvel Universe back in Disassembled?

If I remember right, he almost does the same thing to Miggy.

Also saying bring on a co-writer ignores the other co writer, the artist

i wish i knew where to get good Sup Forumsideo games news btwn gmrgte and how much is like memetic i only get glimpses. and like hell i'm digging though Sup Forums

Ohhhhhh.

I recognize some pretty long-time comics readers in there

The question you really wanna ask is if Marvel even considered asking anybody but Bendis to take this direction. And of course they didn't.

Comics travels in a tight, small circle, and rarely ventures out of it. A Marvel editor, Avengers line, had to actually ask for people to give her a bunch of names of black women writing and making comics out there.

They're a pretty insulated bunch, and they don't tend to hunt for talent outside their general circle. Occasionally, they'll pull a "you were successful elsewhere, write this book for us" (Hudlin, Heinberg, Coates), but that you have to be that successful elsewhere to be CONSIDERED...

Like, again. Coates is one of the best known names in writing about race in America today.

How good do you have to be as a marginalized creator to be given a shot?

You can't blind pitch to Marvel. Those days are over. Dwayne McDuffie was one of the last in on that boat. They seek you out, not the other way around, unless you're an artist. That's a whole different deal.

I think some of the chat about the Big Two dying back today is accurate, but IDK about the timescale. A lot if probably depends on how long their movies keep making bank.

Haven't read it but I'm under the impression he has in the past, and U.S.Agent has the best bit in the issue.

Has Marvel Synergy ever done anything good?

At least DC synergy made Mr Freeze good for the first time ever.

I wish people brought up Victoria Hand more often, or what he did with Karla.

Beyond just "Mad Men Flintstones isn't for me", I think some of the choices they've made with their story allegories for real life struggles and history and groups are on that border between 'ignorant' and 'blatantly offensive'.

Well it's asinine. Bendis ain't blind either, but nobody bitched when he was writing Daredevil.

Don't forget that her pre-rape backstory has her Forrest Gumping herself into being everybody's best friend until she disappears for two years for some raisin.

The other route in as a writer is small-press/indie work, but that means you have to pay your artist, which is a challenge for getting early work made. It means you want to try for impressive short stories, I think.

People who have made it like Millar and BKV can do all creator-owned and get great artists because they're sitting on the nest egg that they can outlay to make the work that's going to pull it in.

Hand is just straight up "dude". I can't find the bit I remember that he said he killed her so no one else could use her, and I've been trying for a while, so I could be misremembering.

I would like to read more of your opinions, so if you have them written up or feel like writing them up let me know.

I'm not reading specific allegory too much into it because it is non-historical. But I can get where you're coming from, I think.

X-23 maybe?

fuck yeah, let's all be punishers

and Millar's been around since the 80s

Bendis' treatment of some of his/the women characters has this strange aspect. It's like a weird little venom he's got bottled up.

>Dr. Doom
>President

Shenanigans unless we've annexed or been annexed by Latveria.

He killed Rhodey exactly for that reason.

So BENDIS! is ruining Iron-man and guardians of the galaxy.

When is he going to ruin inhumans and captain marvel ?

MCU sinergy, i cant think of any.

pre-MCU sinergy, the x-men tv show made Jubilee popular and gave us generation X.

Cerebro being a room.

Dr octopus being cool

We don't know that the neantherthals are actually idiots. Gravel just says they are and they seem to see through his scheme pretty easily.

Or like Gillen or Waid, "Image is EZ and so profitable guys"

David Brothers and Geoffrey Thorne aren't exactly huge names, but they established themselves and got hired as Designated Black-Guys-Writing-Black-Guys.