Steven Universe

Just finished the first season.

So.. is Steven supposed to be completely unlikable?

No, but this show is shit so it doesn't matter

Why don't you like him exactly?

He's annoying, he's dumb, he messes everything up, he's 98% of the time responsible for bad stuff happening, and he's fat.

The people who like this show love him

So if you don't like him because he's just a fat pink retard with a cartoonishly (ha) naive view of the world you're not going to enjoy this show

I don't think he's supposed to be. I didn't like him at first either, but he started to grow on me after a few episodes, after I realized he's not supposed to feel retarded, he's supposed to just be a dumb, but hopeful kid.

But he's not annoying. He's super nice to literally everyone. And of course he messes up, he's a kid. How is a character supposed to learn and grow if they don't make mistakes. He is fat though I'll give you that.

So basically hes a kid. Don't worry he grows out of it after about 11 episodes.

Reminder if you watch this show you are killing the animation/cartoon industry.

He gets better

Its already dead, user.

Only if you have a Niesen box

This desu sempai

I don't actually recall him being responsible for something bad happening other than when he let Lapis out

>But he's not annoying. He's super nice to literally everyone.
Sycophantism is annoying.

Still better then a "accomplishes everything perfectly through the power of love and friendship in the end"-dude.
It felt really good for me how in the very few first episodes we see them going for the... what was it, sky pillar thing? And he just fucks up, mission failed, it fucking happens.
And its not only his fault but his caretaker's fault for literally NOT KNOWING hwo to raise him. Did you even get the message from The Test? It gets hammered in your face multiple times how they are not a perfect family and thats what is so good about them, it makes them relateable, it makes them accuratly real.
Buuuut that's just my take on it, if you don't like it man, it's A-fucking-okay. Nothing is for everyone.

Yeah guys watch Teen Titans Go!™ and The Powerpuff Girls™ instead!

That's not what that word means.
Steven is genuinely kind.
Being a sycophant implies being insincere.

Ok. That doesn't describe Steven though.

I love Teen Titans Go!

>not believing in Steven
You are most certainly not muh nigga.

He was obnoxious in the very beginning but it slowly got better.

Steven is the disgusting bane of his own show.
He's the anchor that keeps bad things from happening and a child's comfy Earth at the center of attention.
He is anti-drama personified.

damn this nigga really does reply to himself

Maybe season 1 Steven, later on Steven becomes the anchor in the sense of keeping the group together. Don't forget Steven
Helped the CG's escape from prison
Got Lapis and Peridot to help them learn about homeworld and the cluster
Stop the cluster
And helped defeat many corrupted gems.

>Just finished the first season.
No you didn't, no one who finds Steven completely unlikable could make it through fifty-two episodes of him.

He starts that way, but eventually he grows on you. Keep watching or don't. I hated him at first too.

>Just finished the first season.
Wow, reading comprehension, I can't believe I missed that.

If you've sat through S1 and still hate him then there's no point in going further. Pick up a hobby, go outside, get a girlfriend, do something better with your life than forcing yourself to watch something you know you hate.

Fuck you. Steven is a win-win protagonists with crazy diplomatic skill. He is able to talk an Eldritch god into defeating itself. He is out to save literally everyone. He is the hero cartoons need.

That was bad enough.

I halfta disagree on the dumb thing. I mean over half the time he is able to come up with a creative solution to resolves the episode's problem.

Maybe it's all in perception? Personally I didn't like Pearl at first. But everyone grew on me after Jailbreak pretty much.

I mean it was pretty much the only thing, besides it ended up being a good thing

If Lapis hadn't escaped they wouldn't have had any warning that Peridot was coming until it was too late for them to start preparing for it

begone jasper fag

I'm going to be the huge faggot who defends this shows mediocre first season so here it goes.

Steven is annoying in the first season because he literally has no context to what's happening around him because the gems have essentially babied him up until this point.

All he knows is that his mom is gone and his caretakers are 3 magical anime girls who battle monsters sometimes.

You have to keep the context that he's just a kid. Its baffling to us, grown men why someone hasn't asked any questions about all this weird shit.

The turning point is the episode "The Return" where Steven learns his magical step moms are actual a race of aliens who almost destroyed the entire world, that there's more of them who are now coming to Earth to either take them away or kill them and just how important his mom was and how important his existence now is
The first season can be grating though because most early episodes boil down to
>Stephen obsess over thing for majority of the episode
>something during the crystal gems mission fucks up
>the thing comes into play with resolving the issue

He definitely has one of the most hideous designs of currently airing shows. The disgusting jewfro, the obesity, the sandals with jeans, it's like they went in trying to make one of the most visually unappealing characters possible.

I mean, while that was totally what they were going for and I do think that that's a fair assessment, I personally don't think that that's a fair excuse for the first season - especially the first few episodes - for being so formulaic and fairly weak when taken in context with the rest of the show. That being said, I really enjoyed the first season when I watched it because I just wanted something comfy.

I think that Steven started to improve after the first handful of episodes, and that the major turning point for him was actually The Test. You're spot on about the way that he acts though, he's been sheltered about the true nature of his situation for years.

By season 1 do you mean season 1A or season 1 as a whole?
If you mean season 1A (gem glow to Ocean Gem) then I can understand. If you mean season 1 as a whole (aka after steven gets better, though he had already started getting better in mid season 1A), then either this show isn't for you or this is a bait thread

I too am a huge faggot for Steven after The Test. I was waiting for him to FINALLY explode at the Gems for not having faith in him when, what does that glorious mother fucker do, but swallow his wounded pride and have the perspective to realize that the GEMS need HIM to boost their confidence. What a king.

Also, as an aside, Greg is best parent because he's the one from whom Steven learned to act like he did in The Test, not lesbian rock moms.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's funny how Steven goes from one of the worst to one of the best characters on the show. I get that it was intentional, but it's weird remembering how much you don't like him in those first few episodes looking back. I know it's not the same for everybody, but I've seen it mentioned a lot.

I hated him for the first season too, but he grew on me.

My biggest problem with the first season was that there was way too much Lars

I was hoping we were finally done with him but sadly he is getting another episode when the show comes back

I loved him in the first few episodes, but I guess that's because I saw a bit of myself in him. He's a dumb kid growing into himself, and becoming the person he was always meant to be. This is going to sound so campy, but I kind of look up to the kind of person that Steven is becoming - the kinds of values that he represents, how he's starting to react to conflict.

Why am I reacting this much to a children's show?

>So.. is Steven supposed to be completely unlikable?

Initially, yes. Even the gems find him occasionally obnoxious, and they love the shit out of his fat ass.

He has actual character progression, though, and as the show goes becomes far less of a terrible little shit. By the time you get into the current season he generally runs the gamut from "tolerable goofball kid" to "holy shit that's adorable."

What if The New Lars is the opposite of Sadie's Song, where we go in with next to no hype and end up getting one of the best townie episodes yet? I mean we don't know much about Lars, maybe there's something interesting to him that we haven't seen yet.

Steven is the only Crystal Gem who isn't a complete dumbass. Pearl consistently bitches about how no one else is up to par with Rose, going as far as to let Steven fall to his death because of her fucking moping. Amethyst is a hypocritical bitch that can fuck up as much as she wants but scolds others for making the same mistakes. And Garnet still has no concept of how to react around people.

Without Steven, these three retards would already be dead.

>they don't want you thinking of them like that
>like what?
>LIKE ALIENS STEVEN WHO INVADED EARTH
>they've tried to make up for it but they just can't forgive themselves

We know he's got social anxiety and hints of depression. He's still caught up with image in Lars & the Cool Kids like he was in the lighthouse flashback. Could be interesting how he develops

But that's what makes the first season so brilliant. It's perfect for an introduction to the world and setting. The show is very much presented from Steven's perspective and it hasn't strayed far from that since the beginning. It's great for the mystery, plot-focused thing the show has going for it. Like you're just dropped in like he is and there's no overdone expostion or bullshit, you can just experience the show as it is instead of having shit force fed to you. I can't think of any other show that's done this properly. Shit, even with the characters they introduce, they're just reacting normally to Steven. it isn't like 'This is Pearl she is the blah blah blah one' or 'My dad is like this,' It gives you plenty of material to form your own opinion and realize what's going on. The show respects you and goddamn it more shows need to do this

>You have to keep the context that he's just a kid. Its baffling to us, grown men why someone hasn't asked any questions about all this weird shit.

But even after shit gets real and he knows what's at stake, he STILL doesn't ask questions. The kid is almost 14 fucking years old, has fought monsters and crashed space ships, knows there is probably a gem Demigod gunning for his head, and he asks no questions.

Steven is not stupid. There's no reason why he wouldn't try to find out SOMETHING about the potentially world-ending threats that hang over his head every goddamn day.

Their preparation didn't do them much good anyway.

>He is able to talk an Eldritch god into defeating itself
The cluster never wanted to form. Steven simply showed it another option and motivated it in that direction.

If Steven is so good at diplomacy, why was his solution to the Steven brawl mass murder?

Still, if Steven didn't go back to get captured in the first place their plan would've failed even worse.

He's simple-minded though, and is more of a sensitive type, more emotional than intelligent. Like in Ocean/Mirror Gem, he was more focused on finding out what Lapis' problem was and talking to her and saving his planet's ocean than worrying about her origin or what happens next. Or when Peridot was reactivating the Kindergarten, he was more focused on making a connection with her, just taling than finding out what she was doing. He only asked afterwards, maybe it was a trust tactic thing, but either way. He kind of just lives in the moment. But he has shown moments of reflection, it's just when he gets to the actual events he's got something else too distracting or pressing to focus on. Because he is still just some earth kid who has no direct experience with a lot of the big things that happen in the show.

Several times has been shown that he's some kind of afraid to the Gems for blaming him for the dead of Rose

Because as a child that's not where his priorities are. The situation is dire, but he hasn't felt any effect from it in his daily life. At the end of the day he's home, in bed, surrounded by people who love him without exception.

A collection of rocks forced to rape each other doesnt really count as an "Eldritch god".

I think that was the first time he was dick. The other Stevens wanted to do their own thing with the band and he responded like a spoiled brat.

>If Steven is so good at diplomacy, why was his solution to the Steven brawl mass murder?
Wait,wut?

This show feels like it should be an indie video game

>the processing power of a hundred million mines with the body the size of a planet
>not a god

He's talking about Steven and the Stevens.

The show is supposed to be completely unlikable OP.

Pretty undeveloped minds, and even then the processing power or whatever you want to call it doesnt really matter. And it's more like a small moon.

What does the refinement of raw earth materials matter when the Authority was planning on using it as a weapon?

Reminder that if Steven weren't around, we'd get a satisfying conclusion to the Cluster Arc. Also, we'd have villains stay villains

You forgot the most important thing.

He's ugly.

user, they literally stated that it's body would be bigger than Earth.

Steven or?

It wasnt when defeated though

What are you talking about? We never saw her body.

I mean the form we saw, much smaller than any planet.

Are you being dense on purpose?

Are you?

You're a big guy.

Saying she wouldn't be bigger than Earth because "the form we saw" was much smaller is like saying Jasper can't be 8 feet tall because her gem is smaller than my fist.

>So.. is Steven supposed to be completely unlikable?
Up until episode 8 at a minimum, yes, that was completely intended.

Even going forward to episode 22 he's supposed to still be annoying on some levels.

Steven actually addresses this in canon.

we didn't see it form, we just saw its gem

this is very simple, look at Jasper, look at the size of Jasper's gem compared to the rest of her body, now look at the size of the Cluster's gem and imagine just how big the full body of such a being would be, it would be larger than an entire planet, the gem is big enough to be a moon by itself

No i'm saying the size it would be is still far different from the size that was dealt with, it's a non-factor.

Not even what i was talking about.

Weird, OP, I would've thought you would find a retarded, poorly socialized fat kid easy to relate to.

Okay, the earth is about 42,000,000 feet wide. Fusions, presumably Clusters too, have additive heights, which is to say a fusion will ALWAYS be at least as tall as the sum of the components. "Millions" of gems went into the making of the cluster. Let's assume an average height of 5 feet among the crystal gems (maybe its low, maybe it's high). That'd only take 8.4 million gems in the Cluster for the resultant gem to be larger than the earth when fully formed. That'd be a perfectly reasonable amount given what we know.

Okay

He's an insufferable shit at first but it's for a reason. He grows up a lot and the viewer is supposed to experience and grow with him. I only stuck with SU because of Cat Fingers showing that the show can get weird in a good way, and I'm glad I did.

what the fuck
Why?

This is on Misseps' profile page;

>NEW EPISODES START: July 18th...
>SNEAK PEEKS START: July 15th

Looks like we're getting leaks starting next Friday, caution's advised for those of you who don't like that kind of thing.

He's based on Sugar's brother, it's all his fault.

I mean its just the first two minutes of an episode

as long as they don't do crap like in Log Date where they basically spoiled the big somewhat twist ending of Message Received it should be fine

A lot of upcoming episodes have the potential to be multi-parters, and there's always a series of screencaps from throughout the episodes posted along with the videos.

Starting Friday, we'll be inundated with spoilers. Just giving fair warning.

So I downloaded what appears to be two seasons of SU. Would be binge watching probably 12 episodes a day and I'll probably reach S2 faster if I skip some of the episodes I already watched on the television. Does it get better in S2 because all my friends talk about is Lapis and that blue girl and I feel like I'm missing out.

It has a big quality turning point at episode 12, so that's a good pace to be watching things, at least for your first batch. Most people agree that season 2's better than 1A at least, but there's a lot of debate as to whether or not season 1B or 2 is better.

>Lapis and that blue girl
Lapis is the only blue girl in the show

get better than what? the worst part of the show is probably Season 1A and there are still some gems even in that

yes but already got better before it.
where'd you get the download from, the mega from a /sug/ OP? because that mega has the episodes in proper order

I'm sure a million people have said this already, but he goes from moderately annoying to the best character in the show as soon as his voice actor hits puberty. He still sounds like a kid, but he stops sounding like he's perpetually whining and faking a 'fat kid' voice.

So do you think we get sneak peeks from the first 5 new episodes or the whole Steven Nuke? Hopefully not the latter...those fucking spoilers during Steven Bomb 4. I tried to avoid it but still accidentally came across some random comments discussing about YD and Peri becoming a CG

>But he's not annoying. He's super nice to literally everyone
Those terms aren't mutually exclusive.

Wait so who's the green one from that episode where Garnet was kicking ass while singing?

By better I mean some more focus on lore or from what I recall, episodes about Steven's mother.

Also, something about fusion dances.

sapphire